Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

C'mon, think for a minute. There is no way to automatically assign SSNs at birth. Think about what that would entail. I am not an expert on national ID systems, but a quick googling says all nations with similar populations and such systems require an appliation process. It's never automatic.

The US SSN system, to the degree that it's more complicated than other countries (it's not) is older than other systems and covers a bigger population, operating across multiple states.

When my son was born in Denmark, he got a SSN immediately, and the name "boy A motherslastname". They had a little printer for the armband, which was ready before we left the OR.

In this vein: the US census. It took me well into my twenties to understand that your guys still do these. It's completely archaic to someone who grew up in Denmark to imagine having to ask people to get an idea of the population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

kaschei posted:

How does Denmark count their people? Even a national citizens registry wouldn't suffice because the census counts all people regardless of citizenship, and it (attempts to be) accurate down to street address.

You basically can't do anything with a CPR-number, as it's called. And we give those out to everyone who's here legally. And we register address, gender, name and probably a lot of other stuff along with the number. You essentially can't get paid without a bank account, and you can't get those without a CPR-number, along with all sorts of other things. We do have an unknown number of illegal migrants we can't count, but I'm not convinced they would turn up in a census.

As for cashless drugs: some idiots use Mobile Pay (exactly what it sounds like), but mostly, it's still cash. The famously most used ATM in Copenhagen by far is the over closest to the drug buying part of town. We mostly use cash for drugs and tax evasion though. I knew a carpenter who always had wads of cash because the whole business is very tax evasive.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

If I recall, one of the whole points of the US census is it does count everyone including illegal immigrants.

That's why there was a huge uproar when Trump wanted to add a question about immigration status to the census, since then there would be a huge worry that anyone without fully legal status wouldn't respond to the census and therefore the data wouldn't be nearly as useful.

There is a huge difference between being illegal in the two countries, given that you can basically be a regular part of society in the US, while you are super limited/dependent on your "employer" in Denmark. But yeah, not counting those people is a blind spot that we try to make up for by counting arrests and such.

Transferring the system to the US probably wouldn't be that technically difficult, just add a couple extra digits. Implementation would be be hell though, both in terms of public outrage and logistics. Denmark basically piggybacked on the state church registrations, making it a lot easier. Parts of the system is still part of the church, including anything to do with names.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah I don't know what to say if your response to how would you take into account people on the margins of society is "Well we count them when we round them up of course!"

It's a real problem, but the people not likely to show up in the Danish registry is basically entirely made up of refugees and migrants who know they won't get an asylum and literal slaves (I choose to believe this number is low, but who the gently caress knows). Counting then when we round them up sucks balls (especially because they shouldn't be arrested for being poor and black in the first place), but my point is that these are people that will hide from any official looking person, including hypothetical census workers.

In theory, you could go pregnant and give birth all by yourself and avoid getting into the system, but that would mean no daycare, no school, no doctor and so on, including no job for the kid ever, because realistically, the only employment you can get without a bank account is drug dealer, which will probably get you into the system sooner or later (and probably then deported because you are not a citizen and we as a nation are super racist).

Part of the reason we have this registry of everyone who's here legally for other reasons than tourism is that we have been recording everyone since forever, or at least hundreds of years. Everyone got written their birth in the church books, as well as major life events such as marriage and death. Having it all in a government computer is just a small upgrade.

The US has a completely different history, including a lot more freedom, and the census makes sense in that context, but it still seems extremely old fashioned from the perspective of the Big Brother society that is Denmark.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cheques have been legally discontinued in Denmark for a few years. You literally cannot cash a cheque anymore. I have cashed like two cheques in my 30 years of living here. But we have our own credit card standard that works pretty well and has for many years, though you still get olds cashing out their pensions at the bank every first of the month. And somehow not getting mugged immediately.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

Legally discontinued, in this instance, meaning that you have to walk your rear end to the increasingly-rare branch of the bank where the check is drawn on - so anyone who uses it can be assumed to hate your guts.

I'm pretty sure they won't actually cash it anymore anywhere. At least that's what I got today would happen soon the last time I cashed a cheque years ago. I think my wife had an uncashed one that basically became a worthless piece of paper.

And yeah, anyone using cheques here in the last 20 years at least have done so in the hopes of it not being cashed. And it probably worked...

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm changing my signature to "im gay ;)" based on this thread. Maybe I'll get a date from that...

I honestly never got how signatures are supposed to give any security. Realistically, no one is going to compare them, and as mentioned, comparisons are super sketchy. That was one thing that shocked me when I visited the USA, you just sign for your credit card instead of using a personal pin number. It's gotta be stupid easy to steal a card and go on a moderate shopping spree with that setup.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

a personal personal identification number number

it just gets worse

I suppose we're already past the point where people remember what PIN stands for and use it grammatically appropriately for that, and now entering into the era of writing the word in lower-case and just forgetting that it was ever an acronym at all. Someday people will wonder why we use the word "pin" for both authentication, and things you stick into voodoo dolls.

Trap sprung.

It does help that Danish loaned the word way back and stuck it together with "password", creating 'pinkode', where the acronym makes no sense.

Related, does anyone really remember that a computer is a thing which computes stuff? Is the verb 'compute' even used outside of "does not compute"?

Edit: it's pretty common practice to get the signature of the CEO as an image file and stick it to official documents. This, surprisingly, is rarely done by the CEO. Signatures are weird, and I hope they turn up in this thread in twenty years.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 26, 2020

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Related to newspapers, the guide books to having a small child have the trick of putting a couple of phone books under the bed to raise the head of your snotty kid. The point is obviously the phone book, which no one has anymore. It turns out that being under a bed for a month is not good for books, which is why you use a mostly useless one like the phone book.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kids safety is a funny thing. In Denmark, it's perfectly normal to leave your sleeping baby outside a shop while you go in, possibly with a baby remote (or whatever they're called) to check if they wake up, but possibly not. Some foreigners consider it completely irresponsible for some reason.

Babies do not get stolen, obviously.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

There's literally no scientific reason to why we let kids sleep outside.

As a parent, it lets me have loud sex without fear of waking the kid. Also I forget to change the air inside by opening windows, which is bad for both me and my kid.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

That's just people not understanding the source of the idiom and using a homophone. You see the same thing with "tow" vs "toe" the line. You even see it with words that are just similar: "loose" and "lose" are frequently used interchangeably these days despite the words being spelled differently, pronounced differently, and having different meanings.

How are loose and lose pronounced differently? Asking as a foreign linguist and also genuinely curious person.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I can't find one on Thomann :( It would be pretty sweet to show up to a jam and be like "yeah, i play the bazooka."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I occasionally give directions to nearby landmarks (well, before covid), because following a GPS or map in a medieval city or the unplanned city areas next to it is not all that easy. Often, the person asking will have their phone out, or sometimes a tourist map.

I like helping people, so I will ask people that seem lost in their map or phone if they need help finding a thing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Parahexavoctal posted:

I still see people asking strangers for the time by tapping their wrist meaningfully (and have occasionally done this myself). It works more often than not.

This doesn't actually require people to know what a wristwatch is, they just need to know the gesture. Like kids know that raised night fingers mean "gently caress" without actually knowing it's the finger you would put in a vagina. A more thread relevant, but less similar, example is the phrase "I got the wrong number", which refers to the office operator making the physical connection of phone lines wrong.

Incidentally, I've started wearing a watch last year, and it's kind of common in situations where checking your phone is not cool, like in meetings and especially if you're a teacher.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pookah posted:

Me either, but we grew up sailing (not rich assholes btw) and it's amazing how much weather forecast/directional knowledge stays with you. Sailors are HARDCORE about directions and suchlike. Check out a compass with sailing subdivisions, we got poo poo like north west by west, east northeast and so on.

My wife grew up sailing, and she insists on knowing and using cardinal directions all the time. It's really dumb, because the sensible thing is to use towards/away from city center and/or a relevant neighborhood of the city.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Fringe is not really a fringe word in the US :v:

I'm fact, it's central to the sovcit movement.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Y'all some goony rear end people. I also hate talking on the phone generally, but sometimes it's just a good way of communicating. If you're doing stuff while talking for instance, or you don't actually need to see the person you're taking to. I've spent several hours in a row on the phone chit chatting with my co-workers during the pandemic for instance, sometimes while taking a walk or something. And that's almost excluding actual work conversations. I just don't have a need to talk to everyone that way, so most of my friends I'm waiting to actually see again.

My wife also has lengthy phone conversations with family and friends. Phone calls are not dead.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Text speak destroyed proper writing when the telegraph was invented.

Also writing things down destroyed young people's ability to learn stuff.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

He wasn't even wrong, the building of mind palaces and the extreme feats of memory people at that time could achieve eventually faded away and stopped being a thing. It's just that it's also not that big a deal because we had things written down so we didn't need to dedicate that mental space to memory. Things shift and change that makes them different, not worse.

Once you reach a certain age, different and worse become the same thing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's funny - there was a very brief window of time during the period when usability really started to be taken more seriously by various people that there was active discussion about getting rid of the floppy as a save icon, because after all, nobody used it and what good is an image of it doesn't mean anything anymore.

Then a few years later, the UX guides were like "here's the thing - everybody knows it means save even if they never saw a floppy disk, and there really isn't a more effective icon."

That's why I'm the year 25864, they will still use the floppy as a save icon.

Ever notice the folder icon? I hadn't seen a real physical file folder until i started my current career in 2017, where for historical reasons we had a couple of cupboards full of them (in the bathroom lobby no less).

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Chrysippus of Soli, cause of death: Laughing so hard of his own dad joke that he died.

This is now my life goal.

As for tyres, I know that bicycle tyres have massively improves in the last 20 or so years. I learned how to mend the tyre as a kid, and on any longer trip I'd bring my kit in case I hit a nail. Then came Kevlar tyres recycle reduced punctures by a lot, and nowadays you get something even better. My current bike has had like one punctured tyre in 3 years of daily use in the city.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HookedOnChthonics posted:

real talk vellum is still one of the best archival mediums humans have access to

Yeah, if you don't mind your text being cut up and turned into a hat.

I once took a professional course with a guy in the city archives. It was fascinating hearing about their long term storage and backup strategy. They converted a lot of stuff to archival formats and their basic strategy was to put it in as many different media as possible. Like, CDs, harddrives, tape and more.

They also cared about solar eruptions causing massive EM radiation.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The Moon Monster posted:

I saw some actual slide shows in school in the mid 00s, can't imagine that's still a thing though.

I was teaching five years ago, and we still very occasionally used overhead projectors. I was teaching Danish as a second language to adults though, so both severely underfunded and with some students being seriously computer illiterate. On that note, I had to teach a woman to use a mouse and keyboard once. That was an experience..
Anyway, having a sheet of plastic with a text or picture lets you draw and write on it in real time, which made sense sometimes.

As for area codes, a similar story is that in the olden days in Denmark, license plates would work in the same way, with the initial two letters (AA 12 345 is the format) indicating which part of the country you came from. The story I heard was that the rural population didn't like it because they felt singled out, but I don't know how true that is. Nowadays it's just ascending by date, with some choice letter combinations being skipped.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Parents of small children also need physical books from the library. gently caress if I'm gonna buy 10 books about potties that I will only need for a couple of months. Also it's especially nice that the loving book about the rabbit is no longer available so we can't read it 10 times today.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

People who knew how to operate physical printing presses.

Filing clerks. The guys putting all the memos and poo poo into physical files and also were able to find them again.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Used to be, you could hire a "clipping service" to send you a copy every time a particular topic was mentioned in the newspaper. You'd have hundreds of people per firm employed in reading every major newspaper in the country and literally cutting out the article to mail to you if it mentioned your name/your business/your industry/your product/your research topic/etc. This later expanded to transcribing or sending recordings of radio and TV broadcasts.

Basically Google Alerts, but done by hand.

In Denmark (much less volume for machine learning), we still have people doing this work, although heavily assisted by algorithms. My friend does it occasionally on an hourly basis, and I have enjoyed reading about my workplace in the news

On the other hand, we have functional digital infrastructure. I and my wife have worked in various government agencies, and all filing is electronic, with no obligation to keep physical copies. Same thing when we bought a house earlier this year, I only saw the seller's real estate agent when he showed us the house, everything else was digital. I have never physically met my real estate(s) or my bank person, and I haven't sent physical mail either.
We did have to show up and sign the contract when we got married, but it didn't honestly seen necessary.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Let me re-word my question then:

Why go through them by hand if they're digitized and accessible from more than just what ever back room the box is stored in

Digitised copies are usually filed by the guy who did the actual work, not the filing clerks. This means that unless that guy knows that he will need the file again soon, he will stick it somewhere stupid with a file name like "document 5737 v4.5", and it will have been done too late for the date to be much help.

I took the mandatory course in the new electronic filing system at a previous employer along with an older colleague. She rightly noted that with everyone filing their own poo poo, no one could find anything, unlike back when the filing clerks handled it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just saw an ophthalmologist (fortunately everything was fine) and she used dictation because it's hard to take notes when you have one eye glued to the retinascope or whatever it's called.

Getting off topic, but this is a thing in growth actually. Get (especially health professionals) to dictate poo poo and then get a algorithm to transcribe it. I know people who work on the algorithms and apparently it's good enough for actual practical application without much proofreading.

Of course, in the old days, the algorithm would just be a person, but those are expensive use a non-tech budget.