Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

A White Guy posted:

Alea Iacta est "The die is cast", the line that Caesar is said to have uttered prior to crossing the Rubicon, is actually a reference to a line in a comedy that Menander wrote.

As funny as it is to think of this, cheque writing in grocery lines may actually finally become completely outmoded in our lifetimes. My children might not have any idea what that actually means. I used to see it all the time when I was a kid in the early 2000s, but the number of times I've seen someone write a cheque in a grocery line has become fewer and fewer as the years go by. The last time was six months ago. In a decade, I might go two or three years before some positively ancient codger writes a check for groceries.

VFW halls are also beginning to go by the wayside as the Vietnam veterans start really dying off. Their popularity was driven by the huge number of men and women who served in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam. All events which are fading from memory. WW2 and Korea sucked in a tremendous number of Americans, but by comparison, Vietnam had far less of an impact on the the number of people who served. Roughly 18 million Americans served in all three wars, which drove a tremendous expansion in the number of people who would go to a VFW hall. While I doubt the VFW will disappear altogether (as we're still fighting many, many smaller wars in other places), the number of people available to go to the VFW bar continues to plummet year by year.

It did not help that Vietnam Vets were excluded for a long time as Vietnam was not a "real" war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The owner of the storage unit we rent won't set up electronic billing, so we still have to send her a check every month. Literally the only bill we pay like this.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

wesleywillis posted:

I hate to shamelessly quote myself, but ummmmm ...............Anyone?

The reference in the Simpsons was a pastiche of 50s films and films set in the 50s.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gaius Marius posted:

IIRC the reason AC wasn't standard in cars was a marketing stunt, you advertise the base model super cheap, and then when they get to the lot they realize the only kind they got is an added 3 grand for power steering, AC, and power windows or whatever

My great grandfather had an AM radio taken out of a 62 Chevy he bought new as it was $12 and he didn't order it.

Some people are that cheap.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

One reference I didn't understand growing up in the '80s is when people would refer to Barbie being a consort to GI Joe..

I did not know that in the '60s and '70s GI Joe was a 12-in figure and not the 3 and 3/4-in figure of the '80s.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BattyKiara posted:

I got stuck because for whatever reason, I tried being born chin first. Babies are bendy, but not THAT bendy! What was the solution when it was clear the baby was absolutely stuck? Break my mum's pelvis, to give the doctor room to manipulate me! No, really...that was seen as better than a Caesarean section because "This is your first baby and you will probably want more babies later, much to young to cut open!" She was 1 month shy of turning 21. Did I mention my mum was awake and aware as they broke her apart? Too young to be "cut open", but she still needed several surgeries to mend the broken pelvis.

I'm assuming she was under anesthetic. Did she suffer any ill effects afterwards, other than the surgeries?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BattyKiara posted:

I'm not Irish, but this is exactly what my mum described being done to her. So it did happen in other places, as late as 1970. Yes, I feel bad about starting life trying to force my way out wrong body part first!

Well, that's extremely hosed and I apologize to you if I came off poorly. That's criminal.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

See also all the people who ride motorcycles who are against helmets.

I work on an ambulance crew and it's depressing the amount of people we see who are otherwise more or less okay but have their brains leaking out of their ears because they weren't wearing a helmet when they wrecked.

People also come up with some very strange ideas, I had one young guy tell me he wears less gear on the street than when he takes a motorcycle on the track because the tracks are designed for the safety gear and there's too many things to run into on the street for the gear to matter.

To my mind if there's more threat you would want to wear more gear now less but what do I know?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

As far as references young people won't get, the book unsafe at any speed by Ralph Nader would qualify.

And it's very much on topic because the central focus of the book is that the auto industry colluded with the government to stifle accident reports and the dangers of the American automobiles while at the same time not including safety features in the cars because it would make them more expensive.

People get wrapped up around his analysis of the corvair, but that's missing the forest for the trees. He really could have picked any car made at the time but that one in particular because it was a clean sheet design that the engineers knew had issues and the technology existed to stop those issues but the fixes were not implemented due to cost.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

This is what the Fonz should have looked like, but this was apparently far too edgy for 1970s American television:

Instead we get him wearing a dorky dad jacket.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone still call psychologists "shrinks"? It felt like it was the default term in media in the 90s, but it always sounded pretty dumb and affected, and I have no idea where it came from.

It's short for "head shrinker."

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

VideoGameVet posted:

Yep. The old "body on frame" automobiles didn't get damaged much in slow collisions, but they were terrible in any serious crash.

Video to illustrate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPF4fBGNK0U
2009 Chevy Malibu vs 1959 Bel Air Crash Test

Ok, this is my favorite thing. Someone watches a Youtube video and becomes an expert.

There are a couple of things going on here. First of all, yes, cars are better than they were in the 1960s. This shouldn't be a surprise, there have been 60 years of engineering improvements between then and now. If you compared a car from 1909 to a 1959, the 1959 would be better in almost every aspect, except it probably wouldn't get around as well on really lovely roads since it lacks the ground clearance of the older car.

The video makes a very good point in how far things have advanced from 1959 to 2009. However, looking at that video as the last word in the discussion misses a lot of things. One of the biggest is the publication of Unsafe at Any Speed, written by Ralph Nader. The broad thesis of the book is that auto manufacturers knew about risks to people inherent in their cars, had the technology to mitigate or eliminate these risks, and used regulatory capture of the government to suppress information about these risks and block the passage of laws to make cars safer all in the name of higher profits. The book and the growing movement towards reducing the dangers of driving caused a number of laws to be passed mandating safety features that were introduced by the later 60s.

Focusing on the the exact car in the video and the fact that the 59 Impala had notoriously weak frame, even for the time, misses the point, just as focusing on the chapter about the Corvair in Unsafe at Any Speed misses the point of the book. It's not the exact details of a particular model, but the whole system that allowed a car with known safety issues to be sold to the public.

The late 60s muscle cars, 68 and later, were decently reliable, fairly quick if ordered with the high performance engines, handled OK if ordered with the HD suspension, and had features like padded dashboards, 3 point seatbelts for the front seat occupants, headrests to prevent whiplash, and safety glass. The leap in technology from 1959 to 1969 is immense.

Cars are on the whole safer today, there is something to be said about the dynamics of a crash and a heavy car vs a lighter car. That's giant modern body on frame pickup trucks do so much damage smaller unibody cars today, or in this vintage test film, why a full size 1971 Ford Galaxy absolutely annihilates at 1971 Pinto.
This is largely where the idea that new cars are collapsible pieces of junk comes from, it's a holdover from when compact cars were introduced in the 1970s and they were indeed beer cans on roller skates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xauHCEVsEJU&t=17s

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Vietnamwees posted:

Those is the EXACT lyrics used in a famous Pearl Jam song, aren't they!?

Yeah, Pearl Jam is covering a 1960s song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4-tsDkmPr4

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

At the beginning of his novel Christine, Stephen King wrote that there were 3 types of songs in the 1950s:

Teenage Love Songs.

Teenage Car Songs.

Teenage Death Songs.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

GoutPatrol posted:

My current car is 1850 lbs, and it is really tiny. I bought it because it was one of the smallest cars available on the market, because parallel parking in a city sucks.

I'm traveling for work and our rental vehicle is a Ram 1500 4 door. Why anyone would daily drive one of these is beyond me, it costs $100 per tank to fill up, gets lovely mileage, and is literally a huge pain to maneuver in parking lots.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My family switched to comforters in the 1970s after a trip to Sweden. I don't remember them being widely available in the US at that time, and they were definitely a luxury product, only available in down.

I do sometimes miss being under a top sheet with a heavy stack of handmade quilts on top. You're warm in a comforter, you are a cuddled sandwich in a pile of quilts.

The advantage of lighter blankets is that you can layer them for comfort. With a heavy comforter it's an either/or situation.

That said, movies are a bad example of how people actually live, unless you think that all bedsheets are shaped like an L to cover a woman up to her breasts but only go up over a guy's pelvis.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Xiahou Dun posted:

As the person who said he's confused about top sheets, I'll explain : I didn't mean like I was buying sets of sheets and I had no idea what this thin crappy blanket was, I just don't get the point of having a distinct thing that is different from the identity of "thin blanket". The general idea of it being hot but still wanting something light on top of you makes sense, and I do that too,

I don't open up a set of bedspreads, see the top sheet and immediately cross myself while screaming, "What is that thing?!?"

The other thing is if you have wool blankets, having a cotton sheet between you and the blanket keeps you from being itchy.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Related to this, something I really enjoy is how whole decades of various trends get compressed into single, monolithic "looks", which makes sense because the broader cultural awareness doesn't really have the ability to be granular, but it's funny to me to imagine a historical film made in the future that treats the 90s like current historial films treat movies made in the 1880s or whatever, and there'll be a character in a poodle skirt listening to disco on their iPod or something.

The Christopher Reeve movie "Somewhere in Time" makes reference to this. Basically Reeve time travels from 1980 to like 1900, wearing a suit he stole from a museum to fit in. When he gets to 1900 Michigan, the people there make fun of him for wearing such a dated looking suit that chased the trends of 1890.

It would be like a time traveler from 2100 going to 1995 and wearing a leisure suit.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Bucnasti posted:

Don Knotts wore them, and had a huge collection of them.

Also, this guy was considered a sex symbol in the 60's and 70's and absolutely drowned in women.

They made a movie about how women couldn't keep their hands off him, called "The Love God."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sMNR1Uw0a8

Also, cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation wore a leisure suit.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

VideoGameVet posted:

Yeah, I know a story from someone who happened to be in the same restroom as Mr. Knotts. Makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRnlqr_jIA8

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The Saturday Night Fever suit would definitely qualify, though the addition of the vest makes it a bit more formal than the usual leisure suit, as one of the distinctive features of the leisure suit was the way it framed the (often loud) shirt beneath it. This image shows a good contrast between the more standard-issue three-piece suit (the second and fourth guys) and the two-piece leisure suit (the other three guys):

The Miami Vice outfit is notable for its overall lack of excess, particularly in comparison to the leisure suit's kind of ornate "I'm down for anything" look. The biggest difference was the almost complete lack of lapels, but there's also something to be said for the use of cooler, more minimal colors, and the whole point was that you don't have to show off, presumably because you've got the goods (cocaine, money, giant dick) and also you're a neoconservative now.

Were big vests a thing in the 70s? They seem more prominent/prevalent on suits than the 60s or 80s.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Cobalt-60 posted:

I thought leisure suits were one-piece; maybe I'm thinking of something else.

"Painter pants" or overalls were popular in the 70s.

https://www.groovyjuice.com/index.php/products/70s-bell-bottom-painters-pants-jumpsuit-orange-crush-

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Pontius Pilate posted:

Wait, is there a difference between a pager and a beeper? I always thought they referred to the same thing.

Pagers had a little LCD screen to show you who was calling. Beepers literally just beeped to let you know that you were needed, you had to call into your work to see what was up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbU2WVcQofQ

The end of this clip also has Rodney Dangerfield telling his asian companion not to tell anyone that he's Jewish because the club is "restricted." I'm hoping that's a reference people don't get anymore.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

FrozenVent posted:

Oh to be this naive.

Yeah, it was to probably too much to hope that there aren't still country clubs like that out there.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

HopperUK posted:

Idolatry?

A very old reference to the accusation that Catholics worship idols, since they have statues and pictures in their churches.

This is of course silly, because idol worshippers think that the physical object itself is the god, rather than a representation of it. It's no more idol worship than carrying a picture of your family around.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Anne Whateley posted:

That's not where the issue is now or at all recently; the vast majority of Protestants are fine with artwork. The issue for them is praying to saints rather than praying directly to God.

Do Protestants ever pray for each other? Ever ask anyone to pray for them?

Same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Anne Whateley posted:

They believe that asking a live person to add their prayers to yours is different than praying to a dead person to pray because God likes them better. Protestants aren't praying to their dead grandmas to intercede for them either.

Well they should be.