Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Ken is like a hosed up slot machine that always pays out.

Also, maybe not the best choice of screensaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi
Good lord that guy is a weirdo

Also I just wanted to share this moment I had watching a Northrup video. I don't know much about them. They seem to have transitioned to leaning pretty heavy on fluff and clickbait like that Art of Photography guy, but they had this incredible video where they were talking about how they were both burning out of the industry and right in the middle of them being real for a second, Tony reads an ad for their sponsor.

lmao

it's here if you're curious, it's just over a minute in. I dunno if it's that big a deal, but it's like a hard record scratch to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDBKkOT-OtA

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Is this where I post my love for Omar Gonzales? As a novice I’ve gotten a ton of useful Fuji information out of his channel. And I feel extremely seen by his dad-joke vibe.

https://youtu.be/xBqGbS9A_Nc

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Dangerllama posted:

Is this where I post my love for Omar Gonzales? As a novice I’ve gotten a ton of useful Fuji information out of his channel. And I feel extremely seen by his dad-joke vibe.

https://youtu.be/xBqGbS9A_Nc

Hadn't heard of him till now. Watched a couple of his videos and I like his mix of being down to earth, goofy, and still covering some good info. Made sure to subscribe to his channel.

Here's my big bitch point with a good lot of photographers on YouTube: they hardly ever talk about their own work. Like say with the Northrups, Fro, Peter McKinnon, or Pierre T. Lambert. I literally have no clue what they really do (I know Tony & Chelsea do some wildlife stuff but that's about it). I can't connect to that at all. Where by comparison people like Sean Tucker, Joe Edelman, Ed Verosky (though he hasn't posted anything in a while), Irene Rudnyk, and Panoptic Chopsticks are talking about what they do. I wish more photogs with YouTube channels would do that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ReverendHammer posted:

Here's my big bitch point with a good lot of photographers on YouTube: they hardly ever talk about their own work.

If you like landscapes and mountains, try Alex Nail:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvQWXLNafrO7VzYzFPuS64w

He doesn't upload very much but he does take the time to critique himself and even uses photoshop to draw over his photos to try and illustrate what he does/doesn't like about a scene.

I don't think his work is particularly groundbreaking (I believe he's an mountaineer first and he decided to add photography as a bonus) but he does go to some neat places.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
London photo goons, Sean Tucker is giving a talk in Liverpool St on Friday night.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/a-talk-with-sean-tucker-tickets-92448523021

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Nick Carver is great. He’s got a very cool niche shooting large format film plus some medium format work.

He’ll do deep dives into his own work - gently caress ups an all. Good on-location videos, some educational stuff. Check him out.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

bloops posted:

Nick Carver is great. He’s got a very cool niche shooting large format film plus some medium format work.

He’ll do deep dives into his own work - gently caress ups an all. Good on-location videos, some educational stuff. Check him out.

Sounds promising. I’ll have to check him out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nick Carver is great. He doesn't upload super often but he does well in front of a camera and is open when stuff doesn't go right.

He also knows his poo poo so there's something to learn too, especially if you're in to film.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea he’s super unpretentious and has a good orange cat that’ll occasionally make a cameo.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

xzzy posted:

Nick Carver is great. He doesn't upload super often but he does well in front of a camera and is open when stuff doesn't go right.

He also knows his poo poo so there's something to learn too, especially if you're in to film.

There's something about his accent... as a non-American it really irks me, it feels like he's putting it on rather than it being how he would always speak.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

There's something about his accent... as a non-American it really irks me, it feels like he's putting it on rather than it being how he would always speak.

He's got a bit of a southern accent, like he grew up in the south and is trying to cover it up but slips sometimes. I have some in-laws from the deep south and they kinda do the same thing.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

He's got a bit of a southern accent, like he grew up in the south and is trying to cover it up but slips sometimes. I have some in-laws from the deep south and they kinda do the same thing.

It's a Central California accent actually. He's from Irvine. It's similar to a Southern accent but it's sort of unique to the area. Anyway yeah his channel is cool. His videos where he documents the making of a photograph are way better than the usual "watch me take photos while royalty free lo-fi hip hop plays."

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

rockear posted:

"watch me take photos while royalty free lo-fi hip hop plays."

*glaring at Kai W intensifies*

I don't know where this came from and it might be lost upon most people, but the perfect analogy for DigitalRev/Kai is that they're the Top Gear of photogear. Which is totally fine, if you know what you're in for

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

AF posted:

*glaring at Kai W intensifies*

I don't know where this came from and it might be lost upon most people, but the perfect analogy for DigitalRev/Kai is that they're the Top Gear of photogear. Which is totally fine, if you know what you're in for

I don't have a problem with Kai. He's at least entertaining.

He did a literal Top Gear type challenge with Lok

HorseHeadBed
May 6, 2009

AF posted:

the Top Gear of photogear

That's what I've been trying to put my finger on.

I cannot stand Kai.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Love Kai.

Peter McKinnon is trash. Like the very definition of YouTube/Instagram dickhead.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I enjoy Kai more now that he's no longer with DigitalRev, blatantly trying to emulate Top Gear.

I know that's cliche as gently caress, but it's also spot on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gear reviews are terrible but somehow Kai makes them watchable.. usually.

Like the iphone case thing he did today was complete trash. But hey it probably pays the bills, company sends you some dumb poo poo to slop out a 10 minute video and it pays the rent? More power to him.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

"Top Gear for photos" was absolutely the intended effect Kai and Co. were going for, to the point that I'm pretty sure he was lowering his voice to sound more like Jeremy Clarksen in the earlier DigitalRev videos.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

President Beep posted:

I enjoy Kai more now that he's no longer with DigitalRev, blatantly trying to emulate Top Gear.

I know that's cliche as gently caress, but it's also spot on.

I hadn't considered that angle before... but you're right.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

"Top Gear for photos" was absolutely the intended effect Kai and Co. were going for, to the point that I'm pretty sure he was lowering his voice to sound more like Jeremy Clarksen in the earlier DigitalRev videos.

He was matching Clarkson's mannerisms a ton.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

bloops posted:

Love Kai.

Peter McKinnon is trash. Like the very definition of YouTube/Instagram dickhead.

His video on the Canon EOS R, saying how it was the best mirrorless system out, was the point I knew he just cared about sponsor money.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 23, 2020

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

bokeh balls

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

The poor model in this must still have nightmares about those two sweating over her. gently caress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOC-VRfCt0Y

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
I really like Ian Wong, ex digital rev guy. His videos are thoughtful and well edited. I just wish he did more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXV7bLiYu6DSX73KuoprBzw

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

teraflame posted:

I really like Ian Wong, ex digital rev guy. His videos are thoughtful and well edited. I just wish he did more.

Yeah, his videos are quite nice. Didn't realize he wasn't with digital rev anymore.

Just looked at their channel--they've really dialed back their youtube presence. Latest upload was four months ago.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

teraflame posted:

Wasn't familiar with him before you linked his channel (never watched much DigitalRev aside from Kai W's stuff). Watched a few of his videos and I really like how he talks through the creative and philosophical aspects of photography. And the fact that he's certainly not a YouTuber.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Someone a while back, and I think it was him, made a video about visiting a country in SE Asia (Thailand? Myanmar?) and a bunch of the video was about how it was important not to exploit/trivialize the culture there while doing photography. It was very thoughtful and good.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I watched some 8-9 year old DigitalRev reviews of camera products and it's actually shocking how awful, unfunny, and popular those videos were at the time.

I like Kai and Lok's videos now though.

President Beep posted:

Someone a while back, and I think it was him, made a video about visiting a country in SE Asia (Thailand? Myanmar?) and a bunch of the video was about how it was important not to exploit/trivialize the culture there while doing photography. It was very thoughtful and good.

As a street photographer in Thailand I'd be very interested in watching this.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Thoren posted:

As a street photographer in Thailand I'd be very interested in watching this.

Turns out it was another guy from digitalrev. One of their cheap camera challenge thingies involving some accomplished videographer. It’s pretty long, and I seem to recall a lot of the more substantial conversation happens in the second half of the video. Hopefully my lovely memory isn’t inflating the video’s merits, but I do remember appreciating much of what they talk about. Now that I’ve found it again I think I’ll rewatch too...

https://youtu.be/0flHpWGrEng

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Edit: here’s Camera Conspiracies ripping on Tony. Good times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tfd3ntgagc

Imagine being one the biggest yoooootooobe camera channels and some no name who is more interested in selling Monkey Strength workouts comes along and gives you that level of 3rd degree burn

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's started calling aperture "Tony stops" too which cracks me up.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Imagine being one the biggest yoooootooobe camera channels and some no name who is more interested in selling Monkey Strength workouts comes along and gives you that level of 3rd degree burn

I like Camera Conspiracies guy to a degree. His videos are more entertaining than most, but I hate the "running across the street" gag that he does all the time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Camera Conspiracies would be more entertaining if his average video was around half as long. He is so obviously killing time for more ad breaks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not anyone's fault except youtube's as they bury your poo poo if you don't hit certain metrics.

At least there's no ad reads or HIT THAT BELL AND THUMBS UP begging like 99% of everyone else on youtube is doing.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
I like the thumbs up, thumbs down if ... Actually that might just be on his other channel. Love me some camera conspiracies though he’ll probably unfortunately kill himself with a new weird diet soon. I mean, he drank turpentine IIRC.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
Incoming hot take from goon fave Eric Kim.

https://erickimphotography.com/blog/2020/03/19/raw-is-for-suckers/

quote:

Photography nerds want to flex their superiority over newbies (who don’t know how to shoot and process RAW files), thus they want everyone to shoot RAW in order to feel superior to more people.

:wrong:

They want more people to shoot raw so that more people shoot raw so they can feel superior to the ... now smaller amount of people that shoot JPEGs???

I see what he’s saying but he’s saying it badly.

Also, neither raw nor jpeg is ‘correct’. They are different tools for different scenarios. Landscape photogs need raw and lots of people from beginners to pros will be perfectly happy with the amazing film simulations that are available these days.

I personally shoot raw cos I want a slammed blacks grainy mess which I appreciate is not a common need that’s gonna end up in a camera film simulation and that’s fine.

Also, loads of people shoot RAW + jpeg simultaneously.

Not everything needs to be so ... black and white :rimshot:

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Incoming hot take from goon fave Eric Kim.

https://erickimphotography.com/blog/2020/03/19/raw-is-for-suckers/

:wrong:

They want more people to shoot raw so that more people shoot raw so they can feel superior to the ... now smaller amount of people that shoot JPEGs???

I see what he’s saying but he’s saying it badly.

Also, neither raw nor jpeg is ‘correct’. They are different tools for different scenarios. Landscape photogs need raw and lots of people from beginners to pros will be perfectly happy with the amazing film simulations that are available these days.

I personally shoot raw cos I want a slammed blacks grainy mess which I appreciate is not a common need that’s gonna end up in a camera film simulation and that’s fine.

Also, loads of people shoot RAW + jpeg simultaneously.

Not everything needs to be so ... black and white :rimshot:

Real big dick playas shoot film anyway.