Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thomas Heaton makes some really nice videos, but I can't get into the pictures he takes. Going through his portfolio he's got some high quality stuff, so maybe it's more the reality of wanting to make weekly videos.. the images aren't all going to be zingers. But I'd still like to see more consistency.

But watching him turned me on to Adam Gibbs, who seems to produce gold every time. In contrast to Heaton he's not as good a videographer, his videos rely a bit too much on drone footage (which is pretty, I just don't need 5 minutes of it) and it jumps around a lot more, but the photos make me jealous every time.

I mean, look at what he gets out of some rocks in a river gorge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eeZTEyfar4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Raft must have at least one good video out there because he had wormed his way into my subscriptions. Then I watched a minute of some more recent video and questioned whether I had a massive head wound or had always been that dumb.

Brendan van Son is similar. Some dudebro in a stupid hat that somehow has enough money to fly all over the world and produce the most bland and uninteresting photos ever taken. But he constantly shows up in recommendations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

XBenedict posted:

What the gently caress even is this video? Is someone really watching a dude pack a suitcase and fly? I guess saying the word "aperture" occasionally counts as PhotoTube now.

Youtube is packed with instagrammers pulling this poo poo because it's (relatively) easy to drag in followers by gaming youtube's algorithms with the way their recommendation system works. Gawk at this douche trying to explain his exposure settings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZu98sXBCmY&t=280s

On one hand props to him for making a living off it, he's probably having more fun working than I am. But on the other, he can gently caress off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ReverendHammer posted:

Here's my big bitch point with a good lot of photographers on YouTube: they hardly ever talk about their own work.

If you like landscapes and mountains, try Alex Nail:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvQWXLNafrO7VzYzFPuS64w

He doesn't upload very much but he does take the time to critique himself and even uses photoshop to draw over his photos to try and illustrate what he does/doesn't like about a scene.

I don't think his work is particularly groundbreaking (I believe he's an mountaineer first and he decided to add photography as a bonus) but he does go to some neat places.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nick Carver is great. He doesn't upload super often but he does well in front of a camera and is open when stuff doesn't go right.

He also knows his poo poo so there's something to learn too, especially if you're in to film.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blackhawk posted:

There's something about his accent... as a non-American it really irks me, it feels like he's putting it on rather than it being how he would always speak.

He's got a bit of a southern accent, like he grew up in the south and is trying to cover it up but slips sometimes. I have some in-laws from the deep south and they kinda do the same thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gear reviews are terrible but somehow Kai makes them watchable.. usually.

Like the iphone case thing he did today was complete trash. But hey it probably pays the bills, company sends you some dumb poo poo to slop out a 10 minute video and it pays the rent? More power to him.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's started calling aperture "Tony stops" too which cracks me up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's not anyone's fault except youtube's as they bury your poo poo if you don't hit certain metrics.

At least there's no ad reads or HIT THAT BELL AND THUMBS UP begging like 99% of everyone else on youtube is doing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

His viewership must be down, clickbaity poo poo like that only gets produced when someone need a quick boost.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The blubbering coming out of anyone with a hint of wealth right now is pretty goddamn absurd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's in Ohio, he gets some slack for his choice of subjects because the list of options is pretty short.

Everything he has looks like the same garbage I get tromping around outside in Illinois.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Youtube is a meat grinder, everyone gets funneled into clickbaiting or doing paid reviews or their views drop and they disappear.

Granted digitalrev was a unique situation but I have seen a lot of my favorite youtube photographers completely stop uploading.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to watch Ben Horne's stuff but he's just too dry for me. I ain't the world's most exciting conversationalist so he gets props for putting himself out there, but he manages to make one of the most beautiful regions in the US sound boring.

I really like his work though. When I got to visit Capitol Reef last fall I was definitely looking at every scene with a "what would ben horne do" mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Drones being able to track and follow cars was the worst thing that could happen to photographer youtubers.