Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Now instead of finding shredded paper bits all over your clothes you'll find boogers, sounds great
ooh lookee we got captain afucking Hygeine over here to tell us booger pockets are yucky :rolleyes:

anyway after lots of thought I think I've solved the riddle of the disappearing hankies: women were responsible for laundering the snot rags so as soon as they were able to they quit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

If I have an especially runny nose and I blow with a tissue little bits of tissue fluff get stuck in my stubble. For this reason I always blow my nose in the bathroom so I can splash my face with water afterwards. To be honest, sometimes I just blow straight into my hand then wash both my hand and face in the sink.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I had a great-uncle from England who gave me a box of two handkerchiefs when I was a small boy. I've never used them and if they're still anywhere they're still in the original box.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I had a great-uncle from England who gave me a box of two handkerchiefs when I was a small boy. I've never used them and if they're still anywhere they're still in the original box.

This just makes me picture this but with handkerchiefs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I get bad allergies in spring so a handkerchief is required

Pros:
- nicer feeling than a tissue
- way more absorbent
- dry out pretty quickly
- better for the environment
- don't need to find a bin

Cons:
- if you are having a really bad day and you can't fold it anymore they get real gross

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Lacey posted:

What about those times when you get sick and go through like two boxes of kleenex in a weekend? Are you going to keep sixty handkerchiefs around jic?

Fold it into squares blow into a different section each time. If you have a cold they are a must. Most snot is like water so if you don't blow out a ton of boogers every time handkerchiefs are awesome because it just dries out. If I have a cold a hankey is a must.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Smiling Mandrill posted:

Fold it into squares blow into a different section each time. If you have a cold they are a must. Most snot is like water so if you don't blow out a ton of boogers every time handkerchiefs are awesome because it just dries out. If I have a cold a hankey is a must.

This is disgusting

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Maybe I'm confused. I always figured the handkerchief of yore served the same purpose as the buss rag/bandana of today: to clean small messes or wipe sweat from your brow.
Has the handkerchief always been exclusively for snot? If so that's gross.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

my dog died im sad posted:

Maybe I'm confused. I always figured the handkerchief of yore served the same purpose as the buss rag/bandana of today: to clean small messes or wipe sweat from your brow.
Has the handkerchief always been exclusively for snot? If so that's gross.

Yes

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
the yankerchief is for yanking it

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
A relic of the past when men were men and breast pockets were full of phlegm.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I keep a cheap microfiber cloth in my pocket to clean my glasses, does that count?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lacey posted:

What about those times when you get sick and go through like two boxes of kleenex in a weekend? Are you going to keep sixty handkerchiefs around jic?

Well that's a good point and since it's illegal to use handkerchiefs and tissues in the same month I guess I won't use handkerchiefs

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

QuarkJets posted:

Well that's a good point and since it's illegal to use handkerchiefs and tissues in the same month I guess I won't use handkerchiefs

Sir, this is an internet discussion

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Moon Atari posted:

If I have an especially runny nose and I blow with a tissue little bits of tissue fluff get stuck in my stubble. For this reason I always blow my nose in the bathroom so I can splash my face with water afterwards. To be honest, sometimes I just blow straight into my hand then wash both my hand and face in the sink.

I'm trying to imagine how chapped my face would get if I did this in the winter. my nose might just fall off like I had leprosy.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
I used to jizz in them as a kid and that's about it

That's my story

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
I wear an orange handkerchief in my left pocket. PM me for details.

Pump Jockey
Mar 15, 2019

i believe in love
I wear a buff over my face when running/hiking/biking, so when my nose runs the cloth is already at nose level and all I have to do is poke with my fingers from the outside

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

I wear an orange handkerchief in my left pocket. PM me for details.

I'm not kidding, PM me.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
just carry around a plague rat and blow your nose on that.

Its basically the same thing.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Smiling Mandrill posted:

This is loving gross

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

CaptainSarcastic posted:

This just makes me picture this but with handkerchiefs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw

Great. Now I'm imagining a really gross variation of the "magician pulls a huge chain of small flags out of his mouth".

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
I practice an ancient yogic technique involving holding one nostril shut and blowing forcefully through the other one. I like to make it a kind of game where I challenge myself to blow the snot as far away as possible. Also it helps to develop manual dexterity.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bad Titty Puker posted:

I practice an ancient yogic technique involving holding one nostril shut and blowing forcefully through the other one. I like to make it a kind of game where I challenge myself to blow the snot as far away as possible. Also it helps to develop manual dexterity.

Same, except I hork it back into my mouth and spit it instead.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Imagine being scared of snot and boogers.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Imagine making GBS threads and pissing yourself in public and then telling other people it's THEIR problem.

I mean I don't imagine. I live life to it's fullest. But you could.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

"Handkerchief? More like wankerchief" :smug:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

gary oldmans diary posted:

The spankerchief

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Szyznyk posted:

The spankerchief

Soak it in thc for a dankerchief.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Why did the boxer have to retire his handkerchief?

Took too many blows to the thread

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

I still have them, I bust them out anytime I wear a suit. I can also do about 13 different fold types like a boss.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Hankies are obsolete; nowadays I just keep a 32-foot long strip of cloth in my back pocket for when I need to body-floss outside of the house

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Madness posted:

I still have them, I bust them out anytime I wear a suit. I can also do about 13 different fold types like a boss.

Yeah but that's a pocket square.
That's a fashion accessory, like a tie.
Handkerchiefs themselves are utilitarian... Or should be, I guess.

This has got me thinking though, when I was a kid I worked as a caddie and then later on in the pro shop/bag room of a pretty nice country club where members would drop their clubs after a round and we'd hand wash them for them.
Because of that, we always used to have a nicely folded golf towel tucked in at our belt to have on hand for drying and cleaning, etc.
I still do this to this day when I'm working in my kitchen for meal prep/doing dishes.
This is another 'rag fashion' that I feel needs to become more mainstream.

Just wear a towel everywhere basically is what I'm constantly screaming.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

gary oldmans diary posted:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I carry around an old fitted sheet that I perform all of my bodily excretions into while out and about. I keep it on a stick like a hobo.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's called a bindle you loving fascist

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The answer is tuberculosis. There was a concerted effort in the early 20th century to cut down on TB and to a lesser extent influenza. It's why older buildings often have incinerators and partly the reason HVAC systems were developed and installed in homes. There were flyers and poo poo instructing people to stop using handkerchiefs and instead use disposable kleenex type things, and also to make sure to throw them into garbage cans with lids.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they were imprisoned

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

autism ZX spectrum posted:

The answer is tuberculosis. There was a concerted effort in the early 20th century to cut down on TB and to a lesser extent influenza. It's why older buildings often have incinerators and partly the reason HVAC systems were developed and installed in homes. There were flyers and poo poo instructing people to stop using handkerchiefs and instead use disposable kleenex type things, and also to make sure to throw them into garbage cans with lids.

Well we vaccinated that so it's starting to look a lot like hankie season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The non-snot hanky is where it's at. Get a little corner stickin' out of your jacket pocket and all of sudden you're all classy. Just a warning this doesn't work with wolf or dragon t-shirts.