Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Everyone's favorite burger boss is back for his tenth season. It'll air for now at 9pm until Bless the Harts gets cancelled. The show might be slowing down a little bit, but it manages to keep on in spite of scheduling changes, football and at least ten other cartoons getting more PR from Fox/Disney. Jillian Bell, Billy Eichner, Jim Gaffigan, Max Greenfield, Kathryn Hahn, Thomas Lennon, and Damon Wayans Jr. are some of the guest stars that have been announced.

1:The Ring (But Not Scary)
Bob's plan to surprise Linda for their anniversary gets tricky when the kids become involved.

:burger:OH poo poo IT'S A MOVIE!:burger:

For those of you who want H. Jon Benjamin to win the Oscar for Best Original Song, Bob's Burgers: The Movie is scheduled for July 17, 2020. From what has been released for Loren Bouchard et. al. it will be a musical, and the Louise portions of it will involve the origin of her ears as well as a trip to Kuchi Kopi land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Has this show sustained it's comedic peak for longer than the Simpsons?
I think there's a strong argument to be made that they have without losing the "soul"
Goddamn I love this show

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Yeah. I can say that they managed to stay fresh and funny without having to resort to tired retreads or getting mean.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

No.1 Special posted:

Yeah. I can say that they managed to stay fresh and funny without having to resort to tired retreads or getting mean.

They've been doing a good job of that, and this season looks similar. I don't need big honking ratings (They're not that big) and I hope the show keeps flying under the radar like I presume King of the Hill did.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would say it is not really in a "peak" any more but still has quality episodes. I still feel like season 4-6 were the best (like most shows I guess).

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Bobs last name is Burger

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
The scenes with Gale were great.

MURDER, MURDER!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Much better premiere than last season's... which still ended up being a decent season.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
This cast has a great set of recurring characters (My wife was furious at me for pointing out live action Belle's Dad in Beauty and the Beast also voices Mr. Fischoder), but I always wondered why Mort seems to get left out of a lot. I do like when he serves as a coutner-point to Teddy's wackiness when they're eating lunch.

2: Boys Just Want to Have Fungus
Unable to afford a rare gourmet mushroom for a Burger of the Day, Bob and Gene jump into the cutthroat world of mushroom foraging.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Mort is great and I wished he'd show up more. I like teddy but he might be dumber than gene

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

This cast has a great set of recurring characters (My wife was furious at me for pointing out live action Belle's Dad in Beauty and the Beast also voices Mr. Fischoder), but I always wondered why Mort seems to get left out of a lot. I do like when he serves as a coutner-point to Teddy's wackiness when they're eating lunch.
I really unironically love the fact that there is at least one person who just knows Kevin Kline as "live action Belle's Dad in Beauty and the Beast."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mort is great and I wished he'd show up more. I like teddy but he might be dumber than gene

They've always kind of struggled to find something for Mort to do.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was a nice son and father episode. Just Gene and Bob trailing in the woods, and Gene saves the day.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'd burn my mouth for fried pizza balls.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Louise has a hannibal mask on and is in Mr Frond's desk and says and now we wait in the mad pooper episode. Was this scene ever reused? I could have swore I saw it in another episode

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

Louise has a hannibal mask on and is in Mr Frond's desk and says and now we wait in the mad pooper episode. Was this scene ever reused? I could have swore I saw it in another episode

I don't think it was, but "Let the kids mess Mr. Frond's room up" has been one of their more reliable plot devices.

#3 Motor, She Boat
Tina and Bob participate in the Thundergirls father-daughter cardboard boat race; Tina tries to hide her feelings about Bob's terrible boat-building skills; Linda drags Louise and Gene to a fire station open house and overstays her welcome.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Has this show sustained it's comedic peak for longer than the Simpsons?
I think there's a strong argument to be made that they have without losing the "soul"
Goddamn I love this show

It definitely has, but one thing Simpsons did in it’s golden age was change up the showrunners every 2-3 years, so the show constantly evolved in style and tone (until Al Jean in season 12 or 13 and it’s been forgettable garbage ever since). This kept the show feeling fresh and still able to surprise the audience.

While I applaud their commitment to the status quo and to never jump the shark or resort to mean-spirited humor, for me, the fact that season 10 is completely indistinguishable from season 3 has made Bob’s Burgers feel very stale. I still enjoy it but it’s become comfort food more than anything else for the last few years.

I’m sure some will disagree but I think the one show that’s managed to constantly evolve and is able to still surprise the audience after an absurdly long run is Always Sunny. The show gets crazier and more cartoonier as it goes on, but it works and makes sense for the gang as they become more detached from reality and more pathetic. I realize Sunny has a unique formula and that wouldn’t work for most shows though, so most that continue for long runs are going to be stuck either going off the rails or growing stale from familiarity.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'd definitely say it's changed but at the same time I couldn't say how. Other than Louise has become too much a quip machine.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'd definitely say it's changed but at the same time I couldn't say how. Other than Louise has become too much a quip machine.

Actually yeah, there have been a few minor changes. Two off the top of my head are an increase in songs and musical numbers, to the point of usually one per episode, and also a significant reduction in how much the characters yell. These are both positive changes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Earlier episodes were better on the whole.

e: I really like the boat episodes

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 14, 2019

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
#4: Pig Trouble in Little Tina
Things get spooky when Tina dissects a pig in science class; Bob and Linda battle ear wax.

Fox has the late game today, then the World Series next week. The Belchers return in two weeks.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Thundergirls episode is good, and I wasn't into that second ep of season 10 at all. This one was a return to form.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Was that Fiona Apple during the credits?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mort is basically completely irrelevant at this point compared to being in every episode of the first couple seasons

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Big Mouth Billy Basshole posted:

Was that Fiona Apple during the credits?
It absolutely was:
https://mobile.twitter.com/lorenbouchard/status/1186160024256573441

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
#5: Legends of the Mall
On a Belcher family trip to the mall, Tina is mistaken for a sleeping boy's girlfriend.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I love it when they just let the Belchers loose on different locations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

No.1 Special posted:

I love it when they just let the Belchers loose on different locations.

This is why Carpe Museum is the best episode of the show and my go to for introducing it to people. Anyway, not having seen it yet but still: great loving title

e: watched it. Best of the season to date

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 4, 2019

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
#6: The Hawkening: Look Who's Hawking Now!
Bob and Louise host an exclusive screening of a Hawk & Chick movie at the restaurant.

I do not remember the original "Hawk & Chick" episode's plot (reading the Wikipedia summary didn't help that much), but I remember liking Bob+Louise stories more than average.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Hawk & Chick is one of the best BB episodes ever so I'm looking forward to this.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

#6: The Hawkening: Look Who's Hawking Now!
Bob and Louise host an exclusive screening of a Hawk & Chick movie at the restaurant.

I do not remember the original "Hawk & Chick" episode's plot (reading the Wikipedia summary didn't help that much), but I remember liking Bob+Louise stories more than average.
You should rewatch it because it's one of the show's best episodes

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Best of the season pretty handily

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
#7: Land of the Loft
Bob and Linda challenge themselves and attend a loft party on a stormy night, while the kids challenge their babysitter, Jen, and face the storm in an ice cream truck.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

You should rewatch it because it's one of the show's best episodes

Sorry for the double post, I should follow up and say I did rewatch it and last weeks episode. I do enjoy that Louise seems to show more introspection when watching cheesy '70's Japanese films. Makes my inner MSTie smile.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Not as good as last week's but pretty solid

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Word on the street is that Disney dropped the movie from their release schedule. Hopefully that means it's just going to be dropped on streaming services and not just cancelled. Seems like it's got to be in post production by now.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Emergency 9-1- Buns! Funnier zingers this week but the plot was definitely a little weaker.

Ariza posted:

Word on the street is that Disney dropped the movie from their release schedule. Hopefully that means it's just going to be dropped on streaming services and not just cancelled. Seems like it's got to be in post production by now.

Turns out it was a simple omission, it's still scheduled: https://www.cnet.com/news/bobs-burgers-the-movie-still-on-for-2020/

I'm hoping there will be a little more PR coming within the next few months, even if this seems like the lowest budget cartoon that Disney will ever put out. Probably would have been Fox's cheapest, too.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Emergency 9-1- Buns! Funnier zingers this week but the plot was definitely a little weaker.

Turns out it was a simple omission, it's still scheduled: https://www.cnet.com/news/bobs-burgers-the-movie-still-on-for-2020/

I'm hoping there will be a little more PR coming within the next few months, even if this seems like the lowest budget cartoon that Disney will ever put out. Probably would have been Fox's cheapest, too.

Sweet, I was excited about seeing it in theaters.

I still like the weird babysitter, though the episode wasn't great. The jabs at "cool" hipsters with all of their weird jobs doesn't make a lot of sense outside of big cities like their blue collar lobster town. It felt a bit hollow and insular.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Our Thanksgiving tradition of stopping Bob from enjoying his traditions. Late football will also contribute to the delay.

#8: Now We're Not Cooking with Gas
Bob is determined to do whatever it takes to cook a rare, heritage turkey after the gas goes out on Thanksgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Late football will also contribute to the delay.

Meta.

Anyway it was a solid episode but not outstanding. Not as good as the Hawk or Mall episode