Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Have you ever been to the moon?
This poll is closed.
Yes 149 32.82%
Absolutely 100 22.03%
I want to talk to Samson 205 45.15%
Total: 454 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Just started like 2 weeks ago. Been enjoying the game so far but yesterday was the first day I had a real lovely time in PvP. I was just getting my rear end kicked by melee and melee abilities. People were just one shotting me in the face with what seemed like a basic melee attack, was getting crushed by flaming hammers, getting one-shot shield bashed and things like that. I was doing great with the Risk Runner two days ago and yesterday it felt like I could barely do damage. I am sure I was just having a bad day but drat did that take all of the steam out of me. I know weapons play a huge aspect of it, but since I am a new player my arsenal is rather limited.

Anyone have any tips on what I can do to not get crushed? I am playing a void hunter, which I think is not helping much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Samopsa posted:

1) play more so you get more stuff and recognize what the gently caress is going on
2) it doesn't matter much if you lose, you still get exp/drops/bounty progress/etc
3) practice aiming and getting comfortable with your weapons and abilities
4) join up with a group of goons

Getting stuff for losing is rather nice, it takes a lot of the stress off the matches.

Does the stats on my gear matter a lot for PvP? I like having INT for PvE, but I feel like grenades are generally more important/useful for PvP so I would spec that way if stats do matter.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Are there any decent easy to get weapons? I got the Risk Runner and the Rat King but the purples I have feel a little lack-luster. I've been trying to do the quest (I forget the name of it) where I have to get scout rifles, but since I got it 4 days ago I have not seen a single scout rifle drop. Is the reward for that quest any good?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Samopsa posted:

do challenges (the golden icons on the destination screen), finish strikes/crucible/gambit matches, finish bounties, do the imperial chest quests

Good to know :unsmith:

Orv posted:

IIRC that ends up in MIDA which is pretty much the second best scout before perks are considered and still easily top 5 after that. YMMV depending on what you like in a scout RPM but it's an extremely solid gun.

I normally like full-auto for my kinetic slot, but I've been getting my world rocked in PvP by the MIDA. So I feel like it will probably be a good thing to try to get. Just need to get lucky and get some scout guns to drop...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Black armory stuff is generally at least descent, of particular interest are the pulse rifle, hand cannon, and especially the machine gun. Also check a guide for the menagerie loot system, good stuff can be gotten that way as well. All the exotics take a bit of work to get and can feel like a slog depending on your mood. Ace of spades is a cool hand cannon but it requires forsaken if you don’t have it, and one of the steps require pvp hand cannon headshot kills which can be kinda yikes depending on how you feel about pvp. A lot of exotics are just very rare drops, keep in mind.

Ah seems like a bunch of options. I will look into these when I get home, thank you.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Can't you just pull 5 blue scouts from collections and mulch them for that step? If not, you could just run Menagerie for the guaranteed drop.

It's funny how MIDA is tearing up crucible right now, since most people are only using it for the Randy's quest. It feels like we're back to the Y1 weapon meta, but in an extremely different and better sandbox. I like it, there's a good mix of timid lane dwellers and aping weirdos with crazy builds.

Not sure what you mean by collections :smith:. The Menagerie seems like a good place to get loot, I definitely need to look into what it is about.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Menagerie lets you keep getting the same gun so you can try to get a best roll.

Also bookmark the website that says where Xur is. He's vital to filling out your exotic collection

I play a lot of Warframe, is he kind of like Baro Ki'Teer? Baro is a merchant that comes by every 2 weeks to sell rare gear, he is pretty vital for getting good stuff.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 24, 2019

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MMF Freeway posted:

The collections tab in your character menu let's you pull out a new non random roll item you've found for a small cost.

Oh that is awesome. Thank you!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Snuffman posted:

On your character screen up at the top is collections.

Every gun you pick up gets added to your collection but only stuff that doesn't have random perks (except ghost shells and sparrows) can be pulled from collections for a small amount of glimmer, legendary shards and/or gunsmith parts (sometimes enhancement cores???).

Since all "blues" are static, with no random perks, they can all be pulled from collections.

Side pro-tip: Its worth pulling ghost shells and sparrows until you get the "roll" you want from collections, now that they only cost shards and glimmer.

For Ghost shells, you'll usually want exp-log (+10% XP) and some sort of resource/chest/combo finder for a location. Exotic shells can roll combo detector. Crucible/Strikes/Gambit you'll want exp-log + token finder (glimmer scavenger for Gambit).

Also, its not documented anywhere (someone was doing this manually but gave up around Foresaken), but certain shells are associated with certain locations/modes and will only roll perks associated with that location or mode. An obvious one I can think of is the Iron Banner shell and kill-count shells can roll perks associated with Crucible but not locations.

Sparrows, 160 with insta-summon is what everyone agrees sparrows should be by default.

What an interesting mechanic. Can't wait to gently caress around with it when I get home to see what I can get.

Another random question, do I need to be wearing the highest level items in order to get higher level drops or does just having them in my inventory enough?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Orv posted:

Inventory or vault, just don't delete your highest stuff even if you aren't using it.

Good to know, I kind of hate the grenade launcher but it's my highest level power weapon. So it's good to know that not using it won't screw myself over.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I had the Thunderlord drop for me yesterday, fells like I won the lotto. This gun is crazy, shame it blows throw ammo like it's nothing.

I've been going back in forth on what legendary I should use. I want it to be one of the hard hitting sniper like guns, so it is between either Leviathan's Breath or Borealis. Borealis is the only exotic sniper I have and people seem to poo poo on it, I have not done damage tests to see which of those 2 do more damage. The other thing is, energy ammo is more plentiful than the heavy ammo. So I can theoretically use it more.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Glenn Quebec posted:

I got the...whatever the void sword exotic is. It's pretty rad.

Color me jealous, swords are stupid fun.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Borealis is the best at what it does, which is match game. The high level nightfalls have that so the weapon should have a place. But it's also not hard to coordinate gear to cover shields without it

Good to know that it is not useless. I enjoy using sniper rifles, popping off dangerous enemies from a distance feels amazing. The Leviathan carving a path of carnage is also pretty amazing, guess I will need to play with them both and see which one is more sustainable.

The Jumpoff posted:

These posts got me thinking about all the exotics in the game and how i love basically all of them just for what they are.

:same:

I just started playing a few weeks ago and the game's gun-play just feels so good. The exotics that I have gotten so far are a blast and makes me thing of combat situations differently.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I was looking through my collection yesterday and realized that some of the amor sets I've gotten over time have like set bonuses. I would make them, but my guy looks :krad: right now.

Is it worth sacrificing all of my current gear (minus the exotic boots) to make one of these Hunter sets? Also, which of these sets would you all suggest?

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 28, 2019

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Draxion posted:

The Gambit Prime ones? Their bonuses only work inside that game mode, but if you play it a lot reaper is good generally, invader is good if you do a lot of that. Collector gives you a special blocker at 20 motes.

No, but that is good to know.

Some pieces have like "Mobile Hunter" and "Heavy Hunter" on them in the description.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

That's just what pre-armor-2.0 had instead of the current stats (mobility / resilience / recovery)

ItBreathes posted:

Those are pre-armor 2.0 and all around obsolete.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Those are not set bonuses

Ah, good thing I didn't waste a shitload of upgrade modules on that. Thank you

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I got the Graviton Lance yesterday. It is pretty fun, but I don't think I am going to replace my Leviathan for it.

What load outs do you guys usually run? I normally run with this kind of set up:

Kinetic: Halfdan-D or Toil and Trouble
Energy: Last Perdition or Risk Runner
Heavy: Leviathan's Breath or Zenobia-D

I do sub in others from time-to-time but that is generally it. The Halfdan-D has treated me well for a very long time now, it is kind of my favorite thing to use.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Flipswitch posted:

Are you talking about PVE or PVP?

For PvE i suppose. PvP I use the same weapons just because I am a peasant.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Shockeh posted:

“abloo Titan supers aren’t good enough.”

Lets just give them more abilities that straight up one shot people.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MMF Freeway posted:

There is a world of difference between using mods in MH and wall hacking in a pvp fps. And tbh we can only see the wall hacks from the screenshot but he was probably aim botting too because like at that point why wouldn't you

Ship is on fire, may as well have a smoke.

Is there a real benefit to winning in PvP? Like, is there some kind of reward that I am missing for winning a bunch? I mean, stats don't really seem to matter too much I think...

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So I got the booster for the exotic so I thought that The Vow would go quicker.

Nope.

Still getting 1% per capture match. Is there something I am missing?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
What are your guys thoughts on the Oxygen SR3. I've played around with it a bunch and it is pretty fun. But once again I am a fairly new player so IDK whats truly out there.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's objectively the worst scout rifle archetype, and it uses 2 perks to give its signature perk, so it has worse general stats than most other 180rpm Scouts.

Well... :smith:

So whats a good energy scout?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

If it's fun then keep using it! Guns in this game are mostly preference. Lotta players think 180rpm scout rifles feel like poo to use, but you don't have to have the same tastes as them.

If you truly care about having the most optimal bestest gun ever then just run recluse/izanagi forever.

Thanks for that. I am working on the recluse, slow but still making progress.

I am not sure what the Izanagi is, I will look it up.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Grinding for the Sleeper Stimulant is kind of annoying, but I really want that gun. I've kind of fallen in love with linear fusion rifles and this seems like the king poo poo of them.

It's a shame I will probably never get the catalyst because it requires a raid or something.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Fly Molo posted:

Eh, it’s not really king poo poo of anything any more, multiple rounds of nerfs really ripped its teeth out.

:smith:

Ok.

Truspeaker posted:

Arbalest is the most fun linear fusion because it takes special ammo so you can use it all the time

Is it still possible to get that? Quick research says it was a spring only event.

xzzy posted:

*simulant

I would say that was auto correct on my phone, but that would be a lie.

Wamdoodle posted:

I read it as stimulant for a while too

Glad to hear I am not the only one :unsmith:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I feel like I am missing something, what is MoCo?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MMF Freeway posted:

Momentum Control. A pvp game mode where the damage on guns is turned up and ability usage is gimped

Oh poo poo, I need to get on using some scout rifles in that.

DrNutt posted:

I've been saying since last week they should have a mode that combines Mayhem and MoCo. They could call it... Loco MoCo.

:hmmyes:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Newbie question: What PvP areas grant glory? People say that it is in the competitive playlist, but I don't see that anywhere. Just regular old crucible.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Peewi posted:

Survival is the only one that has glory.

When you mouseover or click (but not launch) a mode it will also show your rank for that mode.

ConfusedPig posted:

You’re looking for survival, big right icon on the crucible screen, it’s the only Competitive pvp mode. If you’re playing solo, pick the small freelancer option next to it, so you’ll only get matched with other solo people and not with organized 3 stacks.

Awesome, thank you goons.

Edit: One more question, in order to finish Eyes on the Moon do I need to have bought Shadowkeep?

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 10, 2019

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Anyone else loving the Claw of the Wolf in PvP? It melts people and is like a laser beam.

In PvE it does not feel great. Doesn't seem to do enough damage, but it might be because I got bad rolls on it's traits.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hell yeah, Rapid Fire Pulses are amazing in pvp

So it seems. poo poo doesn't feel fair sometimes.

Glenn Quebec posted:

COTW is a great gun. I like my energy slot for special weapons though.

Yeah, now my kinetic is a shotgun. Which is fine but yeah...

In order to get the Handcannon mission in PvP done I was using my Crimson, and I am not gonna lie, it was pretty nice. I need to bite the bullet and just grind out the Recluse. I watched some videos of people using it and that poo poo does not seem fair.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Soooo in Gambit I killed an invader pretty much right as they spawned. Didn't get credit for the quest :smith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Trying to solo the last boss of the Thorn quest made me want to punch a hole in my monitor. That bullet spam he does in his final phase is such bullshit. As a hunter it feels impossible, which makes me want to complete it so much more. Need to take another crack at it tonight.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

AnEdgelord posted:

Im a weirdo who likes Eris but thats mostly because shes an actual character with a distinct backstory and clear motivations which makes her the best written character in the whole series

Writing good characters is probably a very hard thing for video game creators that are on large teams. For Indies, they really only have themselves to answer to when it comes to timeline, budgets and game length. I am sure there are people on the Bungie staff that REALLY would have loved to flesh out Failsafe more to give her/it a deeper and richer story, but they have many other factors that prevent it. Which is a shame, interesting and meaningful characters add a level of depth, appreciation and emotional connection that many games can only dream of.

I like Failsafe, she has the right amount of snarky in my opinion. Is it ever explained why she has two voices?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

ItBreathes posted:

She broke and has two personalities she switches between involuntarily.

She reminds me of the kind of thing you'd see in mid 2000s edgy teen products.

Indeed, they are going for a Daria vibe with the 2nd personality. Which makes me feel old because I remember Daria :smith:.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is Daria on a streaming service? I was a little too young to get Daria when it originally aired

I think MTV is on Hulu. But I could be wrong.

Also, I can't imagine how the MTV cartoons hold up now-a-days. I remember them looking slapdash back then lol.

I WILL get the Thorn by Sunday or I will drive to my brothers house and force him to finish the quest with me.

But in the meantime, I got the Jade Rabbit. People have gushed about this gun in the past

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

AnEdgelord posted:

Variks and Eris are literally the only characters I care about after Cayde died.

Cayde and Failsafe added a level of silliness that felt/feels natural.

Helps/helped break up the "everythingintheworldisgoingtoblowupunlessyoumurdereverythingthatisnotyou" for every mission.

The interaction between Ikora and Asher during the Pyramidieon (sp?) kind of scratch that itch, but not quite.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

IronSaber posted:

I would move Ana to the bottom of that list; that nasally "iTs a SpAWniNg gROunD" makes me grind my teeth.

Shhh-Paw-Awnin Ground

Did she always have a Southern Twang and I didn't notice, or is it just this one line? It is rather profound when she says that...

Edit: Does Zavala sound like Keith David to anyone else?

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 14, 2019

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Oh wow the thread got a ton of new posts, hope I started a good conversa....

:yikes:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Oxyclean posted:

THAT UNBEARABLE RACKET

IMPOSSIBLE! Impossible...?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Asher Mir is the only character who doesn’t immediately fawn over how amazing you are and at least his VA has some fun with his lines

I love how he flexes his knowledge and doesn't give a poo poo that you have no idea what he is saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

xzzy posted:

I have friends that work in high energy physics and they are in physical pain when he talks about neutrinos. The technobabble is offensively bad.

:hmmyes: