Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Tour de Thunderdome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/letourdata/status/1411714092084174850?s=20

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

fuf posted:

it's weird that they don't show this in the coverage

I was watching the GCN / Eurosport stream and they cut from the race to their "breakaway" post-race analysis thing with zero mention of the people still riding

The feed I'm watching is covering it, but frankly it's just kinda sad. Exhausted riders coming in ones and twos riding past the hors-delais sign.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

Sagan getting owned by Cavendish over and over and over is not how I expected this to go.

I know - I expected it would be Sagan getting owned by Caleb Ewan over and over and over.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

nwin posted:

Is there literally anywhere in America to get a stream for today?

NBC's streaming service Peacock has it. It you get the $10 version you can choose between the NBC stream and another comercial free stream.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

It's probably for the best that the peleton won't be trying to organize a field sprint going through that narrow archway.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Fanatic posted:

Well done Cav. lol the throw by the leadout man though :cheeky:

Throwing at the end of a tight sprint must be a tough instinct to break.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Vando posted:

I don't think Merckx has ever rated pure sprinters so he's just being consistent at this point

He doesn't appreciate sprinters but you can't say he doesn't love speed.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cavendish finished before the presentations started on a stage he didn't win. Impressive!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Ha! That shot of Vengagaard watching Pog and Carapaz dissapear into the darkness of the tunnel was epic.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

What a dud of a stage. The commentators on the stream I'm watching are chatting about accounting.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Smirr posted:

Man, sometimes the Quickstep train magic is surreal to watch

They're like the T2000. You can split them up but their train just pulls right back together.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Smirr posted:

lmao he's 22. I'm surprised Vingegaard already has one tbh

Vengabus might be the nicest guy in the world for all I know, but he comes off as odd to me.

He has that kind of face that just screams "You know Mr. Bond, we are very much alike, you and I..."

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Imagine being that close to the end and looking back to see Primoz Roglic suddenly right on your rear end.

What a finish.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Just imagine what a rider Storer will be once he hits puberty.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

More like Julian Alarepeat.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

How many drugs?

So far it looks like not enough.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The poor guy can't seem to catch a break lately:

https://twitter.com/MarkCavendish/status/1468613826799153160?s=20

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Phillip O'Ganna is my favorite Irish cyclist.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I hope this puts an end to people saying that Pogacar makes races he's in boring.

That was amazing.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

It's good that he's self aware enough to calm down and get back to work. It's funny how surprising it is to see a well adjusted celebrity.

He really was pissed, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgceBBiG_MI

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

It looks like Wout snapped his wheel during Roubaix as well:

https://twitter.com/PBXscribes/status/1516422214572294149?s=20&t=ogoN1QMAeWy28t-sshh_xQ

I bet Jumbo's wheel sponsor is having a tough week.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's shimano so noone buys their wheels anyway

Then they're probably having a good week since it distracts people from their chains dropping.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

God bless the Italian television industry. They always find something new for people to talk about.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I can think of someone who better be getting free Burger King for life.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Who would have figured that when we finally get a Ewan/Cav face off that both of them would lose?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

He really was comitted to not taking turns!

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Who the hell is supposed to be the favorite to win the Giro this year? This is the first grand tour in a while where it doesn't feel like everyone is just waiting for one golden boy or another to inevitably win.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Oof. Didn't even get the leader jersey after all of that.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

peanut- posted:

Probably not popping many bottles in the seventh poorest country in the world tbf

van der Pool nearly did the exact same thing a few days ago and he's had plenty of practice.

I think it has more to do with giving giant novelty bottles to people with famously low upper body strength who just rode a bike as fast as they could for five hours.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Carthy does way too much work on the front imo. He closed down everything yesterday too

My theory is that he's subconsciously compensating for that terrible mugshot they're using when the announcers talk about his heart rate.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Withnail posted:

should be a classic mvdp post race collapse on the pavement

Well, it looks like we got a mvdp collapse if not a classic one.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Oh no. Even Landa passed him.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

gohuskies posted:

Lol at Roglic looking very nervous to take his hands off the bars when Vingegaard went for the hand-hold. He knows himself well!

Jumbo torpedoing their Tour by passive aggressive infighting between Roglic and Vinegaard would be painful to watch but make for a lot of good post-stage podcast listening.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Carpet posted:

Well apparently Cav found out he wasn't on the squad via... Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfT5UCUosdY

He probably knew more or less. It's hard to imagine him riding the full Giro and Nationals if he had a real chance of going to the Tour.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

StarkingBarfish posted:

That EF kit is fugly

It is.

And Jumbo's tour jerseys are bad too. The pattern may look interesting up close, but in the peloton it just looks like a smudge.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Whenver the bridge isn't onscreen, the other characters should be asking "how long is the bridge?"

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

I am not feeling good about Roglic's chances this year.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

nawilo_420 posted:

german commentators saying that Wout might be disqualified lmao

For lingering off the back of the team car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

This stage is fantastic.