Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Count me in as interested in the league. Same username (wizzardstaff) on CGE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Oh, should have mentioned my preferences for game style.

I'm cool with whatever player count; preferentially I play 3-4 but no problem with 2. I am not good with live games but I like the fastest async modes and usually respond pretty quickly. It's hard to find a full hour to devote to playing but I can scrape together 5 minutes every 3 hours.

Not a whole lot of experience with the expansion yet but so far I am liking a random mix of leaders/wonders in every game.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
When someone becomes a bot the notifications seem inconsistent. Most of the time they work, sometimes not. But outside that they're fine.

An update to either the app or my phone's system made it so that notifications no longer open a game from my lock screen, they just go to the lobby. That's another 10 seconds of waiting I have to do!

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
First league game is complete, GG to The General and Megasabin. Winner was: wizzardstaff

e: Wow, great crossposts. Fun game all, I feel like everyone was in the lead at some point.

wizzardstaff fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 16, 2019

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Wow, that sounds like a real exciting finish. Hats off.

With all the logging that the game does, I'd love to come up with some sort of infographic to summarize the state of the game over time. But I can't copy and paste the game log from my phone. Is it any more accessible in the Steam version?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
How about we award 3/2/1 match points for 1st/2nd/3rd place and take the total after three rounds?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I recently became a fan of Cleopatra + Stonehenge for a huge rush of science in the early game.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Is it just me or is Scientific Cooperation a trap? I almost never see that pact proposed in a mutually beneficial manner; it looks like a balanced way for two low-science players to bolster their production but in practice it seems to end up with the first player siphoning off just enough of their partner's science that they can never research anything even with the discount.

PopZeus posted:

starting to dip my toe in via playing on BGA: what're some real basic beginner tips and strategies (or even just some common noob pitfalls)?

Biggest noob pitfalls that I can think of are preparing events that end up hurting you (or helping others) more than expected. Don't seed the deck with really nice territories if someone is in better shape to colonize them and be very wary of preparing anything when you are the weakest in military. Maybe this advice is a little on the basic side but it feels really common for people to play a sub-par event card every turn because they think it's their only option. Passing is an option too.

Also for early game strategy remember to keep 1-2 unassigned workers available when there are still Age A cards in the pile, in case Development of Warfare/Religion gets drawn.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Scenario:

I'm in the lead with just a few points over yellow. Blue has half my score but just declared a culture war on red; expected outcome should put them both a fair bit below us.

I want to pick up that Internet wonder for 27 points. But I also really want to avoid getting hit with a second culture war from blue. If I can force the start of Age IV by yellow's turn then the worst that can happen to me is an aggression.

There are seven cards left in the deck. I have enough actions to pull five cards from the row, plus two that will be removed at the end of my turn and red's turn. But if I pull that many, I can't grab the wonder. I can grab the wonder and four cards, then hope that red will also pick up enough to complete the age. But can I rely on them to do it?

I waffled about it for a while and eventually decided to go with the sure thing and take as many cards as possible. This puts Internet out of reach as it will disappear by my next turn. But there's still a United Nations in the deck, maybe I'll get that.

How would you handle it?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Well, that didn't play out how I expected, but I'll take it.

Red spent their whole turn pumping military to soften the blow of war. They also offered me a peace treaty (+1 culture each, no attacks) which I had no problem with. They did take Tanks from the row though, so I would have been better off gambling on that wonder last turn. Oh well.

Neither Yellow nor Blue attacked me in their final turn; both prepared events. Yellow spent every civil action to hate-draft the UN wonder. Blue drafted Bill Gates and most of the remaining techs, but inexplicably took the Age III arena and not labs. (I think it might have been for the Impact of Competition event they prepared, but Computers still would have scored them more.)

I was happy to take the Computers for myself along with Sid Meier, and I used up my turn beefing my science for him. I didn't worry about military since I was out of the running for any strength races and knew Red couldn't attack, and I didn't do anything with farms like someone suggested because I had a better event to prepare than the Agriculture/Balance I was holding. (But it would have been even better still to play the Impact of Culture that you can see still in my hand. I don't know how I missed that, other than my hand was really full. Oops.) Since some wanted to see the others' infrastructure, this is what I passed the turn into:

In the time it took me to make this writeup, Red took their final turn (demolishing a farm for a theater) and ended the game. Final event evaluation saw Blue squeak ahead of Yellow by a few points but both stayed behind me.

I didn't make these posts to gloat or have other people cheat out my turns for me, just thought I'd share a scenario and get people's thoughts on it. Thanks for following along. I'd love to see similar situations from others.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Super Jay Mann posted:

Also Yellow has a prime opportunity to AI you on his next turn if he has it and a strong enough unit to sac. That's a 17 point swing right there and there's not much you can do to respond on the final turn. I suppose that situation also begs the question, would you as yellow risk an AI against green in this situation with 8 cards and 5 MAs defending? If you can Himeji your way up to +11 you have to take that chance, right?
I'm not sure, I probably wouldn't have attacked as yellow either. But then I don't like to take risks with aggressions; for me it's either a sure thing or pure desperation.

I rely on this mental loop to tell me what an opponent's minimum defense needs to be:

1) Assume they have no defense cards and will just get +1 strength per MA
2) Replace a generic card with a +2/4/6 strength one
3) Repeat until their strength matches mine; that tells me how many defense cards they need to hold

For +11 strength vs 5 MA holding a hand of 8 Age III cards, the defender needs only 2 of them to be bonus cards. I don't like those odds against a player who's been weak all game because they are probably hoarding defense. At that point it might come down to how many defense cards I've seen/discarded myself.

This brings up one of my few peeves about the game. Its card-counting is really nice, tracking the position of each card in the deck that you've seen. But the tracking for military cards is almost useless because it doesn't include cards you've seen and discarded. I get that you have the potential to draw them again if the deck is reshuffled, but the game should be able to track whether that's happened yet. This would help a lot when trying to estimate what's in a person's hand. Am I missing some reason why that wouldn't be trackable knowledge?

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
According to today's news update, the app now supports player-created tournaments. Can't figure out how to start it though, and there are no updates or patch notes in the iOS app store.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

rchandra posted:

You have to go to your CGE account webpage. There's a link in the announcement.

Oh thanks, I could see the link formatting but couldn't click on my phone for some reason, and the announcement hadn't made it to CGE's front page yet when I looked there. Found it on the account page just like you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I also can't be bothered to look it up but my memory is that I got trashed by late-game wars much more than I should have. That's been a big weakness of mine in games lately; I keep devaluing military.