Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Amazon "save for later" section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

(Gideon)

Why does she know Ruth 1:17 if this isn’t a future Earth, he wondered.
Why does she know Poochie died on the way back to his home planet if this isn't a future earth?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Harry Potter would be my pick. I think that was within twenty years.

The first three aren't :corsair:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Just finished Raven Tower. I'm wondering if I missed something somewhere:

Was there something special about Eolo? There was a reference to him knowing more than he let on about how to communicate with gods, but I didn't find out where he picked that up. Related to Myriad rolling in once everything is settled?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I love this one

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Black Griffon posted:

What's your favorite "scientist sci-fi"? By this I'm talking about sci-fi that takes a scientific, exploratory approach to the plot, in either characters, writing style or both. It would probably involve discovery (see earlier Big Dumb Object discussion), but not necessarily always.

Greg Egan's done two versions of aliens discovering an existential threat to their world and rushing to develop science to a level to fix it. Incandescence has real physics in a weird setting, Orthogonal has made-up physics. Could well be too dry though

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

yes you need not - and in fact should not - read all the dune books. read them until you don’t like one and then quit. You can also just read the first one and be perfectly happy

"Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's incomplete and saying: 'Now it's complete because it's ended here.'"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

I forget how dragonchat started, but dragons play heavily in The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C Wrede. It's genre- and gender- bending YA that has a strong female protagonist and is in general an excellent piece of YA fantasy

Seconding this one, I loved it when I was a kid.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah it was great. I found it a bit of a slog until I got to the first sub-story and then I was hooked until the end

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The Three Body Problem series by Lui Cixin
Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky if generations of spiders count

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Curse you amazon

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

Curse you amazon

I forgot that some editions inexplicably don't have "Baru Cormorant" in the title, but even then Amazon doesn't want to sell me a physical copy of Tyrant

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'm going to assume that in-universe these things are erudite classical allusions that any educated and cultured necromancer would know

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Also, if you're actually British and especially a Londoner you will realise that despite claiming to do a lot of research, she really didn't and its jarring. At one point the characters ride on the Jubilee Line . Which is named for the current Queen's Silver Jubilee and thus opened in 1979.

Is this the author who thought that there were 5 pence in a shilling?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

feedmegin posted:

I mean there were...after 1971.

I meant in a book set during WWII of course

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ornamented Death posted:

You leave the EU, you get no Baru.

I voted to keep Baru, gently caress the majority

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Finished Harrow the Ninth last night. I feel I have to reread both Gideon and it again to fully grasp what's going on. It's been a while since I read Gideon and the constant gaslighting made it hard to refresh my memory of it.

One thing in particular though: Am I supposed to know who the Sleeper was?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ceebees posted:

Wake., geddit?

Well that makes sense

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I wasn't a fan of TGE when I first read it, but that's because I was expecting some sort of fantasy book, and instead I got a lifetime movie set in a fantasyland. It's great for a heartwarming kinda book, but pretty much sweet gently caress all happens in it.

Yeah I found it kind of okay but I was expecting something with a load of intrigue and backstabbing but it turned out that anyone who didn't openly hate the emperor was completely loyal

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'd somehow never heard of this before but it certainly reinforces my vague view that Harlan Ellison was a gigantic arsehole

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ccs posted:

I enjoyed reading these! For some reason I can't access the entries on Maskerade or Feet of Clay review, it asks me to log in.

The links are broken for some reason. Try:
https://grubstreethack.wordpress.com/2018/05/19/rereading-discworld-maskerade/
https://grubstreethack.wordpress.com/2018/11/29/rereading-discworld-feet-of-clay/

(I also enjoyed reading them)

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

More like 300 pages rather than 80.

I found it very hard to suspend disbelief in part 3. The timeskip is about the length of real recorded history, and by the end the population is in the billions, but it gives off the strong impression that nothing really happened in all that time except for civil engineering. It really goes in to the old sci-fi trope where in the far future everyone's cultural references are to the 20th century.

The races being separate despite intermixing for 5000 years is also odd because it doesn't just rely on genetic engineering to do that, it also relies on the overwhelming majority of people all wanting to do that, over a multi thousand year timescale and a change in living situation greater than the difference between the stone age and the present day.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 4, 2021

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Rich people seem to cope with not actually having to work, I'm sure the rest of us could figure it out too given time

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

freebooter posted:

I'll concede to your knowledge, it's been years since I read LOTR but I recall the vibe of it being Good Old English Hobbits in the pub being like "yeah Dan's grand-uncle says he saw an Ent once but he's full of poo poo"

Yeah the hobbits are being deliberately sheltered

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Not the Messiah posted:

Yeah I'm very hype about finally getting around to reading the series, but I'm irrationally bummed at how...generic the UK version looks. The original cover art is so beautiful and evocative, and the UK ones just look like turbo generic fantasy book covers. Even just missing Baru Cormorant from the titles makes it seem less evocative :(

I mean not that it really matters because it's the same book at the end of the day, but these are the things I care about!

Yeah Baru Cormorant is a cool name and deserves to be on the cover

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I found it impossible to suspend disbelief in the last section of Seveneves because it gives off the strong impression that, over a period of thousands of years, nothing really happened except for engineering projects

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

multijoe posted:

I checked out on Stephenson in Reamde when he spent the first half of the book bombarding you with minutae about the MMO and then made it have absolutely no bearing at all in the second half when it turned into a neverending airport thriller. Did he just get really worked up about 9/11 whilst writing it and just forgot the original premise?

Yeah, it feels like he abandoned the book halfway through and started writing a new one.

It also adds him to the pantheon of "science fiction writers writing about videogames in a way which suggests they've never actually played one"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

ianmacdo posted:

The whole thing with set-sets never really sat right with me. The people against them are pretty much universally portrayed as bad. Cookie, the ultra karen, creepy guy called Felix Faust, the nuturists in general.

But the whole set-set thing does seem generally horrible. Like for one kind of them the babies are raised in VR rigs so that their brains adapt to 4d space, and then the final step (common to all set-sets) is a chemical/surgical treatment that sets their brains that way and stops all future personality growth/development. These kids are then sold other bashhouses/companies.

None of those steps sounds good to me. There is probably an Epstein Bash House that raises set-sets that can only get aroused by wrinkled billionaires. And there would be no laws against it.

She deliberately wrote the society with the intention that readers would think some parts of it were great and some parts were hosed up, and that people would disagree on which parts were which. I'm not sure who likes the set-sets though.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Danhenge posted:

It's not secret that the narrator in Too Like the Lightning did something notably awful in his past.

It kind of leads you into thinking his terrible crime is something their culture thinks is the worst thing ever but we wouldn't give a poo poo about

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I don't agree with Blindsight's take on consciousness but I find it both provocative (in that it provokes me to think about what adaptive role consciousness plays in alien beings I write) and super, super effective as a horror story. It attacks one of the central and tacitly unchallenged assumptions we have about ourselves: that we're better than everybody else because we are aware. It's like Ligotti with footnotes.

Yeah same. It's a horror story where the horrific thing is a philosophical viewpoint instead of a monster;

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Galapagos is "what if intelligence is an evolutionary dead end?" but written as a comedy

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Khizan posted:

I don't really care for The Goblin Emperor, but I'm not sure how to explain my reasons without being spoilery. "Too cute for its own good" comes close, though.

My problem, really, is that Maia never actually has to do anything. A problem pops up, he's nice, the problem is either resolved by somebody else or is proven to not be an actual problem at all. He never overcomes a problem. He never learns anything new. He's just sort of passively nice and things work out in his favor. Entirely unsatisfying.

Yeah same. I was expecting a load of court intrigue and backstabbing, but it turned out that everyone who didn't openly hate him was 100% loyal

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Greg Egan has 80,000 words on his website explaining the physics of Orthogonal. It's even more obvious than usual that the physics is why he wrote the books

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I remember rereading the early HP books at some point and being slightly surprised that at least as much stuff actually happens in the thin books as in the later doorstoppers.

The "worldbuilding" definitely suffers later. Most things are the way they are because it's a children's story about wizards, which is fine early on but it feels like later on we're expected to take the setting more seriously, and it just doesn't work.

Groke posted:

As an aside, translations of Blytonesque stuff used to be a fairly big success in Norway. In fact one of the bigger things in children's fiction (including movies) back in the 1950s and 60s was an adapted translation of Anthony Buckeridge's "Jennings" series, relocated to Norway. Which has basically no boarding school tradition, they just pretended for the sake of the story. These were pretty old-fashioned by the time I was in the target age group in the 80s, and now my kids are in that age range and I don't think anyone reads that poo poo anymore.

I loved the Jennings books as a kid, even if it wasn't anything like my school life.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I'd expect pulp to be nothing mindblowing, formulaic but actiony and easy to read, some nice mindless fun

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

My vague memory of Riftwar from ages ago is that it's extremely "I turned the tabletop RPG campaign I was doing with my friends into a series of book"

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

The scale kind of depends on how much you want to separate the author from the work.

Marion Zimmer Bradley's books are, in a death of the author sort of way, much less problematic than Piers Anthony's, but I've not head of Anthony doing anything worse than write, whereas Zimmer Bradley is :shepicide:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm reading A Wizard of Earthsea and it's nothing like I thought it would be. I expected something very dated given that it was written 50 years ago...

Earthsea I think still feels fresh because you can't copy it except by being an extremely good writer

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kestral posted:

With the Commonweal thread deleted, is discussion about that series going back to this thread, getting a new thread (with or without new rules), or...?

What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kestral posted:

This is the first time I've seen someone write about this series in a way that peaked my interest, so now I'm considering checking these out. But I have to ask a potentially spoilerific question: do they eventually come to an answer of, "Maybe religion is Good Actually" and restore world religious practices? Because if so, I'll just pass on that series.

Religion is very important to a lot of people in the books, and to its world in general. Although public religious expression is forbidden, private expression is positively encouraged, and people will regularly meet with trained professionals who will help them think through religious beliefs without expressing a preference for any religion in particular.

And to answer your specific question, this aspect survives to the end

Further, bigger, spoiler on the subject: turns out there is a religious belief that's actually correct, but it's not one that exists in the world today

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 4, 2022