Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

FuturePastNow posted:

Has there ever been a sex scene in sci fi that wasn't awkward and superfluous? Asking for a friend.

There's Jean Auel's.

Oh. Wait. You were going for not awkward...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

There's a whole series of those, with various co-authors including Mercedes Lackey, S.M. Stirling, Jody Lynn Nye, and Margaret Ball.

The City Who Fought is the one I remember liking best, because the main character (the Brain running a space station) is goony as hell.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

A human heart posted:

It just seems like making the most prominent award for a particular type of book akin to one of those online polls where harry potter wins best novel ever because it's very famous might not be conducive to literary quality. Why not simply report the sci fi book that sold the most and skip the award ceremony? That would be more or less the same thing as far as I can tell.

I think you're looking for the Nebulas, where the professional org known as the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers Of America nominates and votes on what they believe to be the best SF/F works published that year.

As opposed to something like the Hugos, where a self-identified (via purchasing WorldCon membership) collective of SF/F fans, writers, and industry folks tell you what they think is good, plus or minus a few years where bad actors attempted to run a slate and stuff the ballot box because they were offended that women, minorities, and LGBTQ people exist and write stories with characters they can relate to.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 10, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Selachian posted:

There was a lot of fighting in the WSFS back in the early 2010s over adding a YA category to the Hugos, driven by the success of Potter and The Hunger Games, among others. It was finally settled by creating a separate award, the Lodestar, which is only open to YA books. The Lodestar has only been awarded since 2018, though.

(If you're curious, this year's nominees for the Lodestar:

Naomi Kritzer, Catfishing on CatNet
Frances Hardinge, Deeplight
Yoon Ha Lee, Dragon Pearl
T. Kingfisher, Minor Mage
Fran Wilde, Riverland
Holly Black, The Cruel King)

Can recommend T. Kingfisher's stuff. That's Ursula Vernon's pen name when she's not doing graphic novels or kids' books, and she always has interesting ideas. The Twisted Ones is her newest work, and while it's solidly horror instead of SF/F, it's worth a read.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

it takes an concerted fight against my diagnosed ADHD to not read every book I own at once, and the only way I get any reading done is by sticking to that.

My preferred route to dealing with this is treating all books as single servings. Just read the whole drat thing at a stretch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hooo boy.

Little taste of straight up :biotruths: and eugenics to start the day off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Safety Biscuits posted:

Speaking of dinosaurs, here's something to discuss. Who is the oldest currently active sf writer? I'm referring to their careers, not the number of candles on their cake. Michael Moorcock was first published in the late 50s, but doesn't seem to have published anything since 2015. Samuel R. Delany's first novel was in 1960, and he published a novella in 2018, which seems like it counts, and Larry Niven (first published in 1964) has, according to Wikipedia, a co-authorship credit on a book this year, but you don't know how much he wrote...

Can you think of anyone else from the 60s who's still active?

I was gonna say CJ Cherryh, who's rad, but she didn't actually start publishing until the late 1970's.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Guys being Anxious a Lot is a whole Cherryh thing

It absolutely is. Also PTSD.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

Ive never read them but Honor Harrington? Dunno if there is racism/sexism.

Not explicitly IIRC, but they're super into how cool colonialism is because what Weber really wants to be writing is Age of Sail Britain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zore posted:

Long Way has 2 sequels that fit as well if you haven't read them. Final book in that universe is supposed to be coming out soon as well.

Later this month IIRC. Chambers has a new series starting this year as well, Monk & Robot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

StrixNebulosa posted:

Rereading Faded Sun Trilogy right now I love it so much aaaa

My love for Cyteen knows no bounds, both for the implications of Azi psychology and for just how pure villainous mastermind Ari the elder was towards the end of her life.

It also lives rent free in my head because Cherryh did such a good job writing characters who legitimately feel smarter than the reader while also being deeply flawed and mired in their own subjective takes on morality and even reality.

Edit: Also, am obligatory content warning for anyone digging into Cyteen, the main plot orbits around one of the POV characters being deeply traumatized by his 17 year old self being drugged and sexually assaulted by a much older woman in a position of power.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 22, 2024

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Which might be an issue when you decide to do your convention in China, I guess.

From talking to friends, it's worse right now. The sole bid for 2027 at the moment is Tel Aviv.

Part of the problem is simply that there is no Worldcon board or anything, locations are solely voted on by paying attendees, from a list of bids put out of people who want to run a con under the name. So unless you paid the last con committee, you don't get to give an opinion on the next place. Chengdu was a PR bid, much like the Jeddah bid that was retracted was a PR bid for the House of Saud. Hell, the WSSF is a cheap date in terms of international orgs that can be paid to do events.

Edit: I had forgotten this, the Chengdu con committee pretty transparently bought the bid as well.

https://mrphilipslibrary.wordpress.com/2024/01/21/hugo-nominating-stats-rascality-and-a-brief-history-of-where-it-all-started/ posted:

It started in 2018, when China submitted a bid to host the 2023 Worldcon in Chengdu. Site Selection was determined at DisCon III in 2021 by members of the WSFS (fans who buy a membership for the privilege to vote), but not without a little controversy first. Chengdu’s main competitor for Worldcon at the time was Winnipeg, Canada. It seems that word somehow got around that many of the Worldcon votes were online ballots from China (as opposed to votes cast onsite at DisCon) that did not include a street address. Whether as a last-ditch attempt to snag the bid, or because of an actual concern for the legitimacy of the Site Selection vote, a couple leaders of the Winnipeg bid proposed a resolution at the Business Meeting the day before, which advised the Site Selection administrator to essentially negate all ballots lacking a street address based on part of the WSFS Constitution: “4.4.1: Site-selection ballots shall include name, signature, address, and membership-number spaces to be filled in by the voter.” Arguments against the resolution were that the constitution should be interpreted to mean that each ballot just needs to have the words “name, signature, address, membership-number” written somewhere on the ballot with space to include those pieces of information if desired, not that they actually need to be filled out. The fans present at the business meeting passed the resolution 47-30. However, the motion was non-binding and, as I understand it, Site Selection administrator Tim Szczesuil chose to ignore the resolution anyway. Thus, Chengdu won the 2023 Worldcon Site Selection vote in a landslide. Of the 2006 votes for Chengdu (compared to 807 for Winnipeg), 1591 were pre-con ballots from China that were missing a street address, but otherwise determined to be valid.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

mllaneza posted:

I'm going to throw out the two Bahubali movies for some absolutely batshit insane, massively over the top action epics. They're on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ62EKYhRS8

The 2020's US encountering Bollywood action epics is the exact same feel as 1970's US audiences being introduced to Hong Kong action filmmakers. It's a feedback loop of ever escalating crazy stunts.