Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StrixNebulosa posted:

That's...frustrating, but thank you for the info. I wish authors didn't get old like that.

The next time I'm in the mood for dark stuff I should take another gander at the Black Company, maybe try the Dread Empire. Hmm.

He did put out an anthology recently that has some new Black Company shorts. If you haven't read any of his short stories, there's some treats for you.

https://smile.amazon.com/Best-Glen-Cook/dp/1949102173/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

StrixNebulosa posted:

All of my favorite authors are supposed to live on as immortal cyborgs at the peak of their skills. :colbert:

Somewhere in Battuta's attic there's an original Baru Cormorant manuscript that bears all the copyediting revisions of his soul.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

For Murderbot completionists, there is a 4 page Murderbot story from January 2019 at Wired

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

quantumfoam posted:

For Murderbot completionists, there is a 4 page Murderbot story from January 2019 at Wired
this one? murderbot murderbot murderbot murderbot

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

^ Yes, that's it. A very quick Murderbot teaser. ^

Found the other stories in the WIRED "future of work" anthology mostly forgettable.

Sort of dreading what I'd read if I visited Peter Watts blog.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

quantumfoam posted:

^ Yes, that's it. A very quick Murderbot teaser. ^

Found the other stories in the WIRED "future of work" anthology mostly forgettable.

Sort of dreading what I'd read if I visited Peter Watts blog.

oh, y'know, the usual...

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Edit: Oops wrong thread

Sonderval fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Apr 24, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

wizzardstaff posted:

Someone several weeks ago suggested Dragon's Egg by Robert Forward and I threw it on my list. Just finished it last night and thought it was pretty good; I enjoy "big scale" stories about the rise and fall of empires. ("Big" being a relative term here since the aliens are practically microscopic.) I thought all the sections with humans were unbearably plodding and slow with cheesy, overexplained dialogue that didn't use enough contractions--but about halfway through I started wondering whether that was a deliberate style choice for contrast.

I don't think I'm going to check out the sequel unless someone promises that it's really awesome though; it seems unnecessary and I've got other stuff I want to read. Started I Am Legend by Richard Matheson this morning because despite seeing multiple movie adaptations I've never read the original.

Starquake is much more Cheela focused, so you might be a bit happier with it for the reduced presence of humans. As the title implies, the plot involves the effect on Cheela society of Egg having a major quake that wrecks most of their civilization. After giving us a long look at the state of advanced Cheela society - the two major characters I can remember are a Cheela engineer and a Cheela pop star.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Friend just recommended From The Ice They Came by Eric S. Brown, if you were looking for a Lovecraftian kinda horror read. I'm gonna snag it in a bit. Thought others might be in the mood for MIND SHATTERINGLY WEIRD poo poo or whatever normally happens to people in Lovecraft books.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

Just finished reading Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City. Thanks for the thread for mentioning it. It was on sale a few weeks ago and I finally got around to reading it. It hit a scratch I didn't realize I wanted to hit. It kinda reminded me of The Goblin Emperor. Anyway, I think someone else asked a while back if any of his other work is similar if I'm hoping for more of the same or something similar but I can't seem to find the post. Anyone have any recs?

e: nvm found it:

I appreciate this.

Goddamn it. 16 Ways has been on my to-read pile since it came out, and I pushed it up to the front because you people started talking about it and I really liked it until the end when of course Parker had to Parker me so now I have to chase down everything else he’s written since last time I paid attention. loving Parker.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

About two thirds of the way through the unedited version of The Stand and I'm now getting why somebody earlier said there is a lot of stuff that belonged on the typewriter ribbon. The early extra stuff fleshing out how the pandemic looks is all interesting, but now it's starting feel more like listening to an old man ramble about boring stories. Stu Redman just went on a long loving tangent about some eerie encounter where Jim Morrison filled up at his gas station after his death.

Also there's a bit where Stu is MC'ing the Boulder town meeting and is going on about how he hasn't had this many people looking at him since he was on the high school football team and they had "all those nice looking cheerleaders to be looking at too," and when introducing the other panel members he says to his girlfriend "stand up and let them see how you look in a dress," and I had an uncanny vision of Biden giving a stump speech.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

navyjack posted:

Goddamn it. 16 Ways has been on my to-read pile since it came out, and I pushed it up to the front because you people started talking about it and I really liked it until the end when of course Parker had to Parker me so now I have to chase down everything else he’s written since last time I paid attention. loving Parker.

Yeah the end got me too. Lampshading it as an unsatisfactory ending made it no less unsatisfactory drat it! :argh: It was my first exposure to Parker so yeah it is making me a teeny bit hesitant to jump into his other stuff. On the other hand I enjoyed the flow of the book so much I want more.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
How does Foreigner compare to it’s sequels? I don’t mind it so far but it’s not totally gripping me and I’m not sure if I’ll finish the last 40% if the sequels aren’t at least as good or ideally better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tildes posted:

How does Foreigner compare to it’s sequels? I don’t mind it so far but it’s not totally gripping me and I’m not sure if I’ll finish the last 40% if the sequels aren’t at least as good or ideally better.

Hmmm. Honestly, if you're not digging Foreigner I'm not sure you'll dig the rest of it. I mean, finish it so you can see the action sequences (which are baller), and then decide if you want more drow politics, humans being humans, and Bren having anxiety all the time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hmmm. Honestly, if you're not digging Foreigner I'm not sure you'll dig the rest of it. I mean, finish it so you can see the action sequences (which are baller), and then decide if you want more drow politics, humans being humans, and Bren having anxiety all the time.

Guys being Anxious a Lot is a whole Cherryh thing

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

sebmojo posted:

Guys being Anxious a Lot is a whole Cherryh thing

It absolutely is. Also PTSD.

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
I just read the outpost series of zombie books by Adam Baker that was suggested here.
I would rate it as just OK. He sets up a bunch of stuff that never really pays off. The zombies are sortof techno zombies with metal fibers growing through them as they zombiefy, but only in a couple of parts do the zombies do anything different from standard zombies. When the books got to the cities i was hoping for giant merging super zombies, but we only get one instance of two zombies merging into one slightly bigger one. And they also seem to randomly vary from standard easy to kill zombies to like t-100 metal skeletons that are almost unstoppable.
I think he should have leaned harder into weird super zombies, it would have helped explain how they had taken over the whole world.

Next I read Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky, it was good.
I remembered this thread complaining about War Dogs by Greg Bear and its lack of dogs, not a problem with this book!
Its about a squad of cyborged animal soldiers that go rogue. Rex the dog soldier, Honey the bear heavy weapons expert, Dragon the chameleon sniper and Bees, the sentient swarm of bees.
The first part is a lot like the comic We3, but the book continues on shows what happens next.
Also has themes of trans-humanism and how rich people/corporations are the real monsters.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

ianmacdo posted:

I remembered this thread complaining about War Dogs by Greg Bear and its lack of dogs, not a problem with this book!
Its about a squad of cyborged animal soldiers that go rogue. Rex the dog soldier, Honey the bear heavy weapons expert, Dragon the chameleon sniper and Bees, the sentient swarm of bees.
The first part is a lot like the comic We3, but the book continues on shows what happens next.
Also has themes of trans-humanism and how rich people/corporations are the real monsters.

This made me remember Murray Leinster's Semper Tyrannis, with it's action team of 4 slightly up-lifted bears + 1 eagle.
And remembering Semper Tyrannis made me remember Harry Harrison's two oddball stories Man from P.I.G. and Man from R.O.B.O.T., which involved pig action squads + robotic everythings, respectively.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ianmacdo posted:

Stop stop I'm trying not to buy any books right this moment! Ahh that sounds so good!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
do they get to literally eat the rich?

don't worry if the answer is no, Bees the bees are enough to get that on my wish list.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ianmacdo posted:

[camera outside an anonymous suburban home]
adrian tchaikovsky knocks on the front door. "hey, i called about the insects for sale?"

the door opens and he walks in. chris hansen is sitting on a stool holding a picture of larva for the camera. "this grub had a family, adrian."

tchaikovsky turns white and falls to his knees.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Bone Season Series (The Bone Season, The Mime Order, The Song Rising) by Samantha Shannon - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084MKVT8P/
This is so cheap, but are these books any good? I see posts about her Priory of the Orange Tree occasionally but not this.

Provenance by Ann Leckie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW6YTKV/

The Knight and Knave of Swords (Fafhrd and Gray Mouser #7) by Fritz Leiber - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J84L02Q/

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

ianmacdo posted:

I just read the outpost series of zombie books by Adam Baker that was suggested here.
I would rate it as just OK. He sets up a bunch of stuff that never really pays off. The zombies are sortof techno zombies with metal fibers growing through them as they zombiefy, but only in a couple of parts do the zombies do anything different from standard zombies. When the books got to the cities i was hoping for giant merging super zombies, but we only get one instance of two zombies merging into one slightly bigger one. And they also seem to randomly vary from standard easy to kill zombies to like t-100 metal skeletons that are almost unstoppable.
I think he should have leaned harder into weird super zombies, it would have helped explain how they had taken over the whole world.

I really enjoyed Dogs of War, even though I had to jump through my rear end to get a copy since it wasn't available for Kindle in the US for the longest time.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
I am very interested to see what is going on with the numerical discrepancies in Harrow the Ninth when the full book is published. In Act 1 Harrow herself notes that the number of resurrection beasts doesn’t match up, and neither does Harrow’s alleged position as the ninth lyctor; she is the tenth going by the dramatis personae.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
gideon = goodeon

Middlegame next.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 25, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thread, help me! I'm in the mood for relatively light reading, and I want it to be sci-fi. Ideally a 4+ book series with shortish novels (long will do in a pinch) that's fun pulpy star trek-esque adventures. The caveat being that I don't want to deal with any sexism/racism, I'd prefer a protagonist who isn't a dude, and the writing needs to be at least decent.

I've been spoiled by urban fantasy having oodles of long series with generally what I want, and when I try to think of something in sci-fi the closest I can think of is like, Chanur.

Are there any obvious series I'm missing? Or series I've missed?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

What Gibson book to read after Agency? I loved Peripheral and I am enjoying the poo poo out of Agency, but quickly running out of pages and trying to figure out what to read next of his. My friends keep recommending Pattern Recognition, but I also somehow haven't read Neuromancer yet...

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Becky Chambers?

Are there more than 3 Vorkosigan books that center on non-male protagonists? I can think of Falling Free, Shards of Honor and Barrayar.

Vernor Vinge’s Deepness books?

Ive never read them but Honor Harrington? Dunno if there is racism/sexism.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Dune :getin:

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

Are there more than 3 Vorkosigan books that center on non-male protagonists? I can think of Falling Free, Shards of Honor and Barrayar.

Komarr and A Civil Campaign have the POV shared between male and female characters, I think?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Ripley posted:

Komarr and A Civil Campaign have the POV shared between male and female characters, I think?

The latest one, too, is also a Cordelia book.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Three Hearts and Three Lions by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016CQUL4U/
For the person who was disappointed this doesn't go on sale often.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

buffalo all day posted:

Becky Chambers?

Vernor Vinge’s Deepness books?

Ive never read them but Honor Harrington? Dunno if there is racism/sexism.

Chambers: I should get out my copy of Small Angry Planet and read it, hmm

Vorko: not sci-fi pulp-y enough, alas. Like I really enjoyed it, but it's not what I want right now.

Deepness: too heavy! Really good, I love the Tines, but it's too long.

Honor Harrington: hahahahahahaha no, don't ever read these they're bad

Dune: someday I should seriously read this but also not right now

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You could try the Jack McDevitt books about Priscilla Hutchins. I didn't like the one I read too much, but I was about fourteen.

space marine todd posted:

What Gibson book to read after Agency? I loved Peripheral and I am enjoying the poo poo out of Agency, but quickly running out of pages and trying to figure out what to read next of his. My friends keep recommending Pattern Recognition, but I also somehow haven't read Neuromancer yet...

Pattern Recognition is fantastic and hasn't aged the same way Neuromancer has (because it's set in the real world, at a very specific time, rather than in a future that will never happen.) It's also a little more compassionate.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thread, help me! I'm in the mood for relatively light reading, and I want it to be sci-fi. Ideally a 4+ book series with shortish novels (long will do in a pinch) that's fun pulpy star trek-esque adventures. The caveat being that I don't want to deal with any sexism/racism, I'd prefer a protagonist who isn't a dude, and the writing needs to be at least decent.

I've been spoiled by urban fantasy having oodles of long series with generally what I want, and when I try to think of something in sci-fi the closest I can think of is like, Chanur.

If you haven’t read it yet, Murderbot is genderless.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you ready any of Iain Banks' Culture novels? Some lighter than others, they mostly stand alone. I recently got Corey White's Voidwitch Saga trilogy on sale when the ebooks were mentioned here, those were short and fun reading if a little heavy on the ultraviolence.

Seconding Becky Chambers if you hadn't read that yet, though I haven't gotten to her second book or that recent free novella yet.

The Blue Ant trilogy (Pattern Recognition etc) is still my favorite William Gibson though I grew up reading Neuromancer and Bruce Sterling and liked Peripheral well enough. I do need to get Agency.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

General Battuta posted:

You could try the Jack McDevitt books about Priscilla Hutchins. I didn't like the one I read too much, but I was about fourteen.
He also had a sci-fi sort-of detective series thing where the narrator was basically a female Watson for the (guy) detective. Can't remember its name or it being very good but might be worth looking up.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

StrixNebulosa posted:

Chambers: I should get out my copy of Small Angry Planet and read it, hmm

It’s going to be exactly what you’re looking for, I’m like 95% sure. I assumed you would have read it because it’s so on point.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

General Battuta posted:

Jack McDevitt's Engines of God was so bland I stopped reading it several years ago, so yeah, nope.

Murderbot: I love murderbot.

Iain M Banks: I've tried the culture novels from multiple angles and haven't had a good time. :( Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, Excession.... nothing has held me.

And yep, I'll pick up Becky Chambers and have a look, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

If you haven’t read it yet, Murderbot is genderless.

Hey

He's got a gender. It's murder :colbert: