Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sinteres posted:

They are, but in the case of the Scorcese movies the comparison is unfavorable to Joker. I mean falling short of peak Scorcese obviously isn't the end of the world, since almost everyone will, but having seen the other movies reduces the novelty of Joker for sure. As for Kaufman, I think Phoenix is good enough that pointing out any inspiration doesn't lessen what he did.

I genuinely think The Joker is a better movie than Taxi Driver, because I genuinely think that Phoenix is a better actor than De Niro.

I just watched The Dark Knight last night because I miss Heath Ledger and while his performance was just as amazing as I remember, I forgot how bad everyone in that movie is except for Oldman. Eckhart is just screaming RACHEL half the time and Bale, whose moves once seemed so powerful and cool, moves like he is wading through Molasses.

It’s good! I think it’s a great choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sinteres posted:

They are, but in the case of the Scorcese movies the comparison is unfavorable to Joker. I mean falling short of peak Scorcese obviously isn't the end of the world, since almost everyone will, but having seen the other movies reduces the novelty of Joker for sure. As for Kaufman, I think Phoenix is good enough that pointing out any inspiration doesn't lessen what he did.

It's frustrating. I think prior to this movie's production the idea of a Joker origin story heavily influenced by Scorsese would be basically a dream come true.

Plus I think a lot of people just get as far as identifying the movie's plainly obvious influences and behaving like them being able to do that is worthy criticism in and of itself.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Film Critics and Cinema Twitter: This movie borrows HEAVILY from Taxi Driver and The King of Comedy

Literal Robert loving De Niro: Yeah, so?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://twitter.com/petercoffin/status/1227297718739066880

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Bust Rodd posted:

I genuinely think The Joker is a better movie than Taxi Driver, because I genuinely think that Phoenix is a better actor than De Niro.

eeeehhhhh

i rewatched Taxi Driver not too long ago with Joker still reasonably fresh in my mind, and I'd honestly say it's just kind of a wash between the two

like, outside of the basic plot of "isolated weirdo turns to violence," they're not actually super similar movies and Bickle isn't a super similar character to Fleck. the best way I can sum up the difference is in how the two relate to the world around them; Bickle's isolation is something he deliberately feeds out of disdain and hatred for the world around him, only occasionally seeing someone as a "bright spot" that he's willing to come out of his shell for. meanwhile, Fleck craves connection and enmeshment with other people; his isolation is absolutely not self-induced, but the product of everyone around him having a bizarre instinctive hatred of him, and either seeing him as a novelty or as an easy target.

Bickle's isolation spirals into delusions of grandeur, where he's the one hero in a city of monsters; Fleck, meanwhile, turns to violence as a last-ditch hail mary to try and make his life matter, at all, beyond just being a target for others.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Bickle's status as a veteran was also a pretty important element of the character and that's something completely absent from Joker.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Even if Taxi Driver and Joker were otherwise equally good, and I don't think that's true, I think the effort Joker spent (or wasted) on establishing ties with the broader comic book continuity has to take it down a notch. That stuff maybe had to be there to appeal to a broader audience, so I don't think it was a mistake, but it didn't add much to the actual movie.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Joker's really more a Maoist propaganda film than anything else at its core.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
really Joker has more in common with Neon Genesis Evangelion than it does with Taxi Driver, thematically

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They outright say, in dialogue, that Thomas Wayne deserves what's coming to him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure Joker said he's not ideological, and that's his name in the title, so any ideology you bring into it is on you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Hmm. Alright!

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

A person can lash out against societal injustice without being familiar with the political or philosophical arguments.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Between this and Phoenix's speeches, MAGA chud fans of Joker are going to be really confused.

Disappointed that Ryan Reynolds is a Mayor Pete supporter though (as shown in a reply to that tweet).

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Bust Rodd posted:

Hmmm

*Checks rap sheet*

Yep, checks out

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Phoenix has definitely got some skills as a dancer.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

well

its not wrong.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

twerking on the railroad posted:

Hmmm

*Checks rap sheet*

Yep, checks out

LMAO a narc in the Joker thread smdh

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/atdanwhite/status/1233122176083152896

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Truly the something something we deserve

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I saw the purple and didnt think of the new movie and instead the 89 art scene. I was like, yeah theres' stairs but he doesn't really dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oi_3qy1si4

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The MSJ posted:

Disappointed that Ryan Reynolds is a Mayor Pete supporter though (as shown in a reply to that tweet).

the guy who consciously and uncritically chose to be the leading man in a gleefully pro-interventionist, pro-billionaire, pro-cia coup film in 2020 has bad politics wow

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747
edit: I have a giant bias of mostly hating most pulp super hero movies made in the past ten years. I thought avengers, spiderman, thor, etc are all mostly poo poo and totally forgettable. The Nolan batman's were good, Ironman 1 was a good action movie, thats about it.

Finally watched this for the first time when I had nothing else good on. I avoided it in theatres and early release because of all the bad reviews as well as everyone saying it was poo poo during oscar season.

Pretty good. I am sucker for gritty 70s/80s NYC. Phoenix was fantastic as usual and holy poo poo is he skinny in this. Overall this is one of the better movies in its very particular genre of movies in the past few years.

4/5 . Phoenix is 4.9/5

Good to great but not a masterpiece. Worlds, worlds better than 95% of superhero movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Didn't DaFoe essentially play The Joker in Death Note?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Didn't DaFoe essentially play The Joker in Death Note?

I felt it was more the Green Goblin but completely unleashed.

I guess at the end of the day it's a potato-potahto situation.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/thebriansweeney/status/1250866580378001415?s=21

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Joker committing crimes while maintaining the six foot rule and proper hygiene.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just finished this movie and all I have to say is that Joaquin Phoenix is a really, really good actor

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im da joker baby

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Just finished this movie and all I have to say is that Joaquin Phoenix is a really, really good actor

And a really, really good dancer.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

McSpanky posted:

Joker committing crimes while maintaining the six foot rule and proper hygiene.

i could actually genuinely see this, because a common trait of the Joker in comics and non-Joaquin-Phoenix depictions is that he's always looking for some weird new gimmick to change things up

committing social distancing crimes would be pretty on-brand for him, either simply because the challenge makes it funnier, or because he straight-up doesn't want to get COVID (the Joker having occasional "sane" viewpoints and ideas is always funny as gently caress when it happens)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
REminds me of the animated series: "I'm crazy enough to fight Batman, but the IRS? NO~ THANK YOU!"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I get how this movie is similar to Taxi Driver but I liked it more despite being a comicbook movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Joker is real now and I'm glad

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Joker is real now and I'm glad

Now yuo see...

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I felt the worst part of the movie was that it was too rosy optimistic about American's willingness to do anything about anything, so it's retroactively gotten better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/mexicansoflate/status/1340042659474399238?s=21