Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Mobile game Granblue Fantasy, a social RPG that draws on 90s anime and RPG nostalgia and wields the talents of ex-Square Enix staff Hideo Minaba and Nobuo Uematsu—in 2016, this game added an English-language option that drew in JRPG fans and otaku across the world and helped set the stage for English releases of future mobile games. (There's a thread in Games here.)

In 2017, an anime adapted from Granblue's story mode aired, covering the early chapters of the game. The project attracted various talented names and looked ambitious, though possibly shot too far. The show was over-encumbered with detail, too concerned with a realistic(dull) tone. Characters looked stiff to match a plodding trek through the boring writing of the early game. The show sold crazy well thanks to lucrative in-game bonuses, but despite the numbers was met with lukewarm reception that doesn't meet the standards Cygames has sought with its foray into anime. More successful Cygames ventures include Rage of Bahamut, Uma Musume, Zombieland Saga, and Manaria Friends. Perhaps due to their success working on two of the aforementioned shows (RoB and ZLS), Studio MAPPA was approached to take over as the anime studio for a second season of Granblue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd26T5La5D0

...anyways here we are in s2, the chars have been freed. rackam (CV: Hirata Hiroaki) looks hot now and his wispy bf shows up later

eugen is a good dad (CV: Fujiwara Keiji) who's with the crew to find his daughter who thinks hes a bad dad. Fujiwara couldn't be present for season 1 due to health issues which is why it sucked, but he's here today.

io (CV: Tamura Yukari) and vyrn (CV: Kugimiya Rie) are unleashed by the new anime style. their cute appeal now matches the performance of their ace seiyuu, considered by many to be the best in the industry

vira (CV: Imai Asami) is gay and powerful but had a difficult life. do your best, vira

ferry (CV: Yonezawa Madoka) is a spooky ghost with furry ears who will soon dominate an ArcSys fighting game with her zoning and furry ears.

*disclaimer: looks like this in the anime. younger, more anxious, less pets

gran (CV: Ono Yuuki) is one half of the protagonist duo of granblue fantasy. the hoodie-armor combo is legit and his action scenes in the anime pop off.

lyria (CV: Touyama Nao) is soulbound to the player character and is the unique summoner of granblue's world. able to become friends with anyone.

katalina is played by Sawashiro Miyuki(!). kind of underwritten and absorbed a character trait from the 4koma gag comic in order to loosen up (also has weapons-grade bad cooking), but she's a cool and protective knight and vira loves her.

much of the playerbase favors djeeta (CV: Kanemoto Hisako), the female player character. last season had a few djeeta episodes and hopefully she gets her time in the spotlight here.

here's promotional art for the anime. lyria wants to be the sad hat girl's friend this season.

anyways i said all that but if you dont play the game and/or didnt see season 1, you might have questions about the plot. feel free to ask about stuff or post about your favorite gbf char you want to see animated.

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

But will they add fancy party dress Vira to the game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's one of the items you get from buying a dvd volume

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ah, of course

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

make sure you buy the fighting game collector's edition for a gold bar

Aurora fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 18, 2019

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
OP, I thought Djeeta was only in the last episode of that season and that it was more of a bonus episode.

But what an episode! Definitely hoping for more fun like that.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

there was apparently an ova episode in the bds with Halloween djeeta that I wasn't aware about until recently

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I appreciate the Vira content but doing 3 episodes for early chapter stories is just too slow. Really wish we got things sped up so we could get to the real good parts of the first story line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't think I would enjoy this arc much after the annoyingly rushed first episode, but I'm enjoying the drama so far. Excited to see how it plays out next episode, and also to get back to some proper adventuring.