Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Last time I checked, grubs, fish and honey don't put up much of a fight. So why the hell are bears built like tanks, armed with crushing jaws, razor-sharp claws and a land speed of up to 35mph?

Like, what the gently caress, bears? Who needs this much firepower to dig up worms and berries?

The more I think about bears the less sense they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

They like honey and berries so much that they wanted to make sure nobody could gently caress with them during their afternoon brunch

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
hey great thread OP, thanks for stopping by, see ya later

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

sweet thursday posted:

They like honey and berries so much that they wanted to make sure nobody could gently caress with them during their afternoon brunch

Seriously. Bears, take a chill pill.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applewhite posted:

Last time I checked, grubs, fish and honey don't put up much of a fight. So why the hell are bears built like tanks, armed with crushing jaws, razor-sharp claws and a land speed of up to 35mph?

Like, what the gently caress, bears? Who needs this much firepower to dig up worms and berries?

You should try to gently caress a bear

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
They're bulking up and training to so they can fight humanity. They know we're killing the planet and they want to stop it.

They are nature's champions.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

bears beets battlestar gallactica

Hahaha i love the office and romcoms the outdoors and my dog

tacos are the way to my heart
swipe left if you support trump

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Iron Crowned posted:

I’d rather gently caress a transformer. :smug:

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

This is the answer. Bears have really weird pencil-like dicks and are overcompensating by working out a lot and getting really buff, and may even do steroids. If they didn't they'd be dogs basically, probably some sort of schnauzer.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Grubs and bees come in hundreds, maybe thousands

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Swiping fish out of the water has made bears ripped.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Please bear with me

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
There's a theory that they became really big and strong so they could turn over fallen logs and eat all the grubs that are under them. But more likely, they ended up in a cold area during the most recent ice age, and colder climates always encourage mammals to grow larger for better thermal efficiency. That's also how elephants became huge; they started out not much bigger than a pig.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
If I lived anywhere near moose I'd want to be a living power armour suit too.

Mooey Cow posted:

If they didn't they'd be dogs basically, probably some sort of schnauzer.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The “could you kill a bear with a sword” thread was like 500 of the funniest pages of GBS ever, because SOOOOOOO many goons really believed that they could beat one

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
FACT: My diamond blade daiwakizachi can cut through anything alive, up to and including a bear

FACT: Having attained the level of daimoninjitsuzachi, I can sense the approach and anticipate any movements of any living being

FACT: Yet none of this is necessary as my power is so great that a single gaze alone is enough to kill

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

The “could you kill a bear with a sword” thread was like 500 of the funniest pages of GBS ever, because SOOOOOOO many goons really believed that they could beat one

I remember reading a story about some killer bear that terrorised an area until one hunter put together a team of hunting dogs and went after it. The bear tore through the dogs, the hunter was just able to kill it with some fuckoff huge gun before it got to him. The scary part was when they cut this bear open, they were pulling endless bullets and buckshot out of it, including multiple pistol rounds from its head. So this thing had been wandering around the forest just soaking up gunfire, including pointblank pistol shots to the head fired by desperate people just before they got eaten. Leave bears alone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

I remember reading a story about some killer bear that terrorised an area until one hunter put together a team of hunting dogs and went after it. The bear tore through the dogs, the hunter was just able to kill it with some fuckoff huge gun before it got to him. The scary part was when they cut this bear open, they were pulling endless bullets and buckshot out of it, including multiple pistol rounds from its head. So this thing had been wandering around the forest just soaking up gunfire, including pointblank pistol shots to the head fired by desperate people just before they got eaten. Leave bears alone.

That was the Bear Boss

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The best part of the new season of Planet Earth is how they had like dozens of hours of bears scratching themselves on their favorite trees so they made an incredible supercut set to big happy drums

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
they're like regular gay people just bigger, stronger and with more body hair, op

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
Black bears aren't even that big.
Salmon are pretty big.
You need to be pretty big to chase a pack of wolves away from a kill.
You need to be pretty fat to be able to store enough calories to survive the winter without eating.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Massiveness and big fuckoff claws were selected for because they have to fight each other for berries and fish. Like look at this poo poo, the wolf down the road is like "loving pass, my dudes," https://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/wolf-casually-watches-as-two-grizzly-bears-fight-in-the-middle-of-canadian-street/

Also what a loving moment to stop filming. I assume so they could roll up the windows and drive on as fast as humanly possible.

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

need to fend off other predators, such as wolves, cougars, mooses

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Applewhite posted:

Ever been to a family reunion as kid and you have that one cousin that's grabs a fork and starts a fight with an electrical socket?
Then you and your other cousins are like "no one can know we're related to him" and to keep everyone else from figuring this out one of you becomes a Navy Seal, one is a master classical artist, another runs a Fortune 500 company, and the other has developed a revolutionary new form of chemo therapy, etc?
And at another reunion 20 years later you find out Cousin Sparky still hasn't figured out don't stick poo poo in the power outlets?

That's what happened to bears when they found out about pandas.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sunswipe posted:

find the story i want to rad it

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

No one knows, OP

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
They're godless killing machines and must be stopped :colbert:

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
Aren't raccoons a kind of bear?

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
The only insane bear attack I know of is the Sankebetsu Brown Bear Incident. It would make a good thriller along the same lines as The Grey.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
Baloo rocks

You've got those bear necessities those simple bear necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

my dog died im sad posted:

Aren't raccoons a kind of bear?

They are dogs pretending to be bears.

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bust Rodd posted:

God even the OP name ^ sounds hilarious
Link?

milkingmycow
Mar 28, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I’d rather gently caress a transformer. :smug:

Female transformers have pencil sharpener/paper shredder vaginas

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've got some bear stories.

they will eat ANYTHING. it's really important to keep your utility sheds secured because a bear will get into it and just start chugging like, kerosene, paint thinner, drain cleaner. and it just won't stop until it dies.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Walrus posted:

I've got some bear stories.

they will eat ANYTHING. it's really important to keep your utility sheds secured because a bear will get into it and just start chugging like, kerosene, paint thinner, drain cleaner. and it just won't stop until it dies.

That bear was getting high. Rather than stage an intervention, you let it drink itself to death. You're a monster.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Bears are built to fight other bears. It's a self-perpetuating cycle.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
And for the record I could absolutely kill a bear with a sword if that sword was fired from a rail gun.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Norton the First posted:

That bear was getting high. Rather than stage an intervention, you let it drink itself to death. You're a monster.

bears love getting drunk. their preferred method is grabbing a six-pack, sitting on their butt, and then kind of slashing at the cans and letting them explode all over their face and mouth

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Walrus posted:

bears love getting drunk. their preferred method is grabbing a six-pack, sitting on their butt, and then kind of slashing at the cans and letting them explode all over their face and mouth

Don't doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

they're just cute is all :3: