Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Xenoblade Chronicles X was developed by Monolith Soft and published by Nintendo in 2015. It has nothing to do with Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2. It is its own stupid thing. It kinda defies description, really, so I guess just jump in and enjoy the ride.

This LP is going to be different from my usual fare. Usually I do comprehensive, completionist LP's with all dialogue. If I did that for this game, I would go mad and jump off a bridge. This is a lowish-effort SSLP, so I'll skip a lot of the duller dialogue, I won't 100% the game, and I don't really know poo poo about the gameplay for this game. I've gotten somewhat far in this one but never beat it, so I'll be stumbling along semi-blindly. If you want to give me tips to break the game, I'll gladly take them.

Tag minor spoilers, avoid big spoilers. This game is gloriously stupid, I don't want people to ruin the experience for others.

Twitter feed for updates.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Oct 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

stuff

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I can't believe Miiverse is loving dead. Nintendo killed the best social network to ever exist.

Ugh gently caress it

Fun fact, online is dead for this game.

You can't really see the options here. There's an option for Settings, then there's New Game, Continue, and eShop to download hi-res graphics or whatever. There's no paid DLC for this one. I'm glad.

Heh, yeah, sure.

I made it decently far last time I played. That said, I have no qualms whatsoever deleting my old save. I would have never played it again anyway.

Maybe this time I'll actually beat it! Probably not, though.

There's an intro FMV. If you want a video, let me know and I'll post the video. Otherwise you can search Youtube for it.

This game has no relation to Xenoblade Chronicles 1 or 2. Which is good, I got maybe 30% through 1 and never played 2 so I can stick to not knowing anything about this game.

The Earth was caught in a great battle between unknown alien forces.

Our planet was overwhelmed--its surface reduced to ash and rubble in the blink of an eye. The Coalition government knew the war was coming; in response, they prepared the Earthlife Colonization Project--Project Exodus. Interstellar arks were launched all across the planet--from every major city on Earth.

Among them was our ship, the White Whale.

We thought of ourselves as the lucky ones--the pioneers who would settle a new world.

Our ship took heavy damage--we lost control. With our flight systems down, the White Whale was pulled into the gravitational field of a nearby planet, its hull shattering and breaking to pieces as we plummeted toward the surface...

I appreciate this still of the ship plummeting into this random piece of driftwood-looking thing.

That's the story, or at least all you need to know. We'll get all of the gloriously stupid details later.

There's character customization for this one. For a game this wonderfully stupid, of course I'm going to let you all choose our character.

We can make ourselves big or small. Or medium. Or in-between those, I'm down with whatever.

There's facial markings, of course.

A variety of hair colors and styles.

There's some freaky eye stuff you can choose, with two colors for each set.

Coloration for lips and eyes, but most importantly face paint.

Finally, we can choose our voice actress/actor. This is limited to battle, our character doesn't have actual voice lines in dialogue, their interactions are limited to choosing between a couple options. I believe the first choice we get in the story is to nod or shake our head, neither of which have any effect on anything, so that's pretty much what we're dealing with here.

The voice options are especially kinda pointless for a SSLP, but hey, maybe I'll post an occasional video and you'll get to hear them.

Also skin color can be anything.

Hair styles for men...

...more of the possible face paint styles...

...and the potential voice actor choices for the male protagonist.

Ten whopping characters for our name, which of course doesn't matter. I think most fans refer to this character as "Cross" because X is Cross, but that makes no sense to me because this is an Nintendo system, so X is X.

Anyway, your job is to make a character. Go as in-depth or as out-depth as you wish. Personality and motivations would be nice too so I know how to answer the dumb meaningless prompts the game gives me, but of course they're unnecessary since nothing matters. I'm not really doing a vote here, I'm hoping everyone comes to a consensus character and I can choose things as necessary, but feel free to be as goofy or serious as you want, I don't care.

Next time, stuff happens I guess, and I also probably realize what a huge mistake I've made in doing this LP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Clearly we need to play as a large black woman.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I remember the last time someone LPed this.

It was for April Fools.

I can't wait for 6 months from now when you delete all the updates and replace them with updates featuring 20XX or some other Roguelike/lite/brite.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
I have no knowledge of this game's quality (or lack thereof), but I can say that there are some fantastic VA choices available for our protagonist there.

It's a mistake to pick anyone other than Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, but it would be an understandable mistake.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I'm glad we peer pressured you into making such wise decisions.

Thinking up a new OC is :effort:, so I'm just going to rip off your previous LP and suggest you create whatever looks like Tressa and bring her into the new world. There's business to be had.

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

Getting in on the ground floor of this.

Also, for all its flaws, this game (like its siblings) has some really, really good music. Case in point: the title theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QGK6i51zIU

(No spoilers, unless you go digging through the recommended list, and even then, you have to dig.)

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

DeusExIgnis posted:

really good music.

Yeah, yeah yeah.

The only request I have for the character, the uncannyvalley baby head girl you can make.

The fact that I can remember at least 2 horrible baby homonculi in this game is telling.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
Very excited to see how far this LP goes. I have a lot of love for this stupid game. The main plot is...well, it sure is there. The mid and late game world building is, in my humble opinion, utterly fantastic. Idk. A lot of things really clicked for me with this one despite thinking the story was mediocre at best.

Anyway, I don't care what our protag looks like so long as they are large.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I want to be old, heavy and cantankerous. 3 cigars and 3 chickens a day.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
gotta get in on the ground floor of an LP with a title like that.

Let's be old.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer
You know, I'm not going to lie. I played XC1 and then this game, and I very much preferred this game. Yes the plot is dumber, and yes the setting makes no sense, yes the sidequests are just as interminable, and yes I also miss a certain Heropon, but I honestly think this had one of the best open world environments of any game that I had played, I kind of liked how they reconciled the party dynamics and characterization with a created character, and I am very much hoping that this someday gets a Switch re-release.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

These create-a-character options look rather silly, and your protagonist is basically a mute. So I suggest you make someone as close to your first idiot pawn from Dragon's Dogma as possible, with Keith Silverstein as the voice.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
We need to be large

Toyotasomi no Miko
Oct 23, 2016
Xenoblade X, huh?

Go with an unusual skin color for a person. That's all I want.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I hate stealth games but I played this like a stealth game and enjoyed the hell out of it. Stoked for this.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010
How feasible is to make a 60 year old Green Rambo? Solving most of our problems by shooting people.

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019

FeyerbrandX posted:

Yeah, yeah yeah.

The only request I have for the character, the uncannyvalley baby head girl you can make.

The fact that I can remember at least 2 horrible baby homonculi in this game is telling.

Hmm, how bad could this be? I am morbidly curious to find out.

Also, we need to do the red and white hair.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Oh my loving god you madman

I think this is actually the Xenoblade game I prefer because the focus is squarely on the experience rather than the silly story, and also the music is unironically fantastic
Too bad that all of that barely matters because 99% of the mechanics aren't explained and what is a story

Just make whoever you want, this game is insane enough that just about anything works, as long as you're large, and called Elma.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Toss in another vote for trying to make a grumpy old person stumbling through all the dumb drama while grumbling about kids these days.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Having never heard of this (and barely remembering there was a xenoblade 2), I'm rather curious why that was.
Somehow, I don't think I'll be waiting long to find out.

Voting for the most ridiculous player character possible; whatever that may be.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
This is super duper my game which is why I spent like way too long on it becoming as strong as possible and I hate it now.

Dope-rear end soundtrack, through and through. Shame absolutely none of it got in Smash Ultimate though.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

Clearly we need to play as a large black woman.

And also Old

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I am a stick posted:

Also, we need to do the red and white hair.

poo poo, if we're gonna do this, we need to use the card suits facepaint and cement ourselves as the biggest playing cards fans of all time.

Also, throw on another vote for a big old black lady who sounds like the joker.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Let's be large and old.

Godspeed you complete and utter lunatic.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I remember when I played this I just made my dude look like Gohan.

So idk do that I guess...

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Also voting for an old black lady who's sick and tired of this anime bullshit.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Polderjoch posted:

Oh my loving god you madman

I think this is actually the Xenoblade game I prefer because the focus is squarely on the experience rather than the silly story, and also the music is unironically fantastic
Too bad that all of that barely matters because 99% of the mechanics aren't explained and what is a story

Just make whoever you want, this game is insane enough that just about anything works, as long as you're large, and called Elma.

The numbered games have decent story (by videogame standards) and a really strong cast. Here the party members are more of an afterthought outside of Elma and Lin; even the PC, instead of being a defined character like Shulk or Rex, is this self-insert faceless dude/tte.
As you said though, the areas are loving amazing and X is probably the strongest of the three games in area design.

Gameplay wise I feel 2 is the better one, but the presentation suffers because of the blade gacha. Presentation wise 1 is my favorite because of all the battle banter; as an example Shulk's slightly unhinged "More! You must suffer MORE!" is amazing.
The soul voice system here in X is an extension of the battle banter in 1, and gameplay wise it's an interesting idea executed competently, but with weaker characters it has less impact (or at least, that's how I feel).

The giant robot battle system in X feels underbaked (keep in mind you can literally see where and when they ran out of budget in this game, so it probably is) and overdrive is nowhere as thematic as chain attacks.

I still liked X, mind you, it's just I think it's missing a bit of the soul the other two games have (warts and all, don't get me started on the blade gacha in 2)
The music is still good, with the exception of the flight track (for reasons unrelated to the actual music).

My proposals for our protagonst player avatar (let's be honest Elma and Lin are the main characters):
Female;
everyone is going to call us Rook in voiced cutscenes, we might as well use it;
seconding the PoC/non-white skin color proposal; however, go with a real life skin color (no blues or greens or what have you); I don't remember who was Fiora's voice actor, choose her voice;
Mega64 will be the one looking at Rook the whole time, so create something you will like; while staying within the previous "LPer's sanity" restriction, make something as garish and silly and over the top as possible, let's not take this game seriously.

For your own sanity, I suggest looking up the OP infinite overdrive setup. At least it's an escape clause for BS fights, and hopefully it's a class and weapons combo you like so using it is not even a chore. Ditto for decent Skell setups.
Again for your sanity, the WiiU is hackable so look up if there's some way to cheat and skip grinding for AP, cash or rare drops.

I am a stick
Jan 13, 2019
For reference, do we have any examples of what the various body sizes are like? How large is large, and how small is smol small?

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

X's areas being loving amazing is definitely what pulls me to this one particularly, especially since I feel 2 dropped the ball massively on that part and Xenoblade games in my eyes being primarily carried by the exploration.
I'm actually not a fan at all of 2's combat in general, and the Blade gacha only really adds to my issues with that but that's neither here nor there.
I agree Skell fights are heavily undercooked which is a drat shame since while they really open up the world, foot combat is both better and a lot more fun. There's also a lot of other chaff like most of the party members just being superfluous for both story and gameplay (really didn't need more than 7 or so). I do like Overdrive, Soul Voices, and Secondary/Tertiary cooldowns more than 1's Chain Attacks, but that's just personal preference. Definitely prefer them more than 2's mechanics though.
1 is definitely the best in terms of overall presentation though, yeah.

Also echoing to just hack in some stuff like Exp/AP/Affinity/Reward Ticket drops, the grind gets real later on just to get some basic mechanics or to stay on par with the levels and this game is already plenty massive enough.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I hate Xenoblade 2 by proxy because it seriously overuses the 'you win the boss fight in gameplay but the cutscene has you on the back foot no matter what' trope.

Xenoblade 1 at least had reasons for that stuff and was more consistent about them.

I have no preference for character creation things.

Leprecorn
Mar 9, 2019
The most large hulking old black dude around, but who has the personality of and speaks like the most energetic, annoyingly genki magical girl ever.

Or vice versa, a kawaii uguu anime girl who has had enough of this poo poo and sounds like a 50 year old chain smoker.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

megane posted:

Also voting for an old black lady who's sick and tired of this anime bullshit.

:same:

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Omobono posted:

I don't remember who was Fiora's voice actor, choose her voice

This gets my vote. The Classic voices are Shulk and Fiora's VAs, so go with one of those so you can really feel it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I almost forgot:
godspeed you crazy Goon.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Always been vaguely curious about this one, all I really know about it is that it's got nothing to do with the other two.

Mega64 posted:

Coloration for lips and eyes, but most importantly face paint.
What the hell, I'll throw in a suggestion for this face paint, with your actual eyes matching it as closely as possible just to freak people out.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Don't really know what to think about ehh... just going to throw my lot in with female

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Throw in another vote for old black lady. Also make her large, if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Omobono posted:

For your own sanity, I suggest looking up the OP infinite overdrive setup. At least it's an escape clause for BS fights, and hopefully it's a class and weapons combo you like so using it is not even a chore. Ditto for decent Skell setups.
Again for your sanity, the WiiU is hackable so look up if there's some way to cheat and skip grinding for AP, cash or rare drops.

This was good advice! After finally getting around to softmodding my Wii U, I tried hacking out with an old save, and

I like how the program I'm using has only four body modifiers. One for height, and three based around chest size.

Yeah, if nothing else I'll be able to make my own fun!

I'll probably record tomorrow. Sounds like we've got a good idea for who our character will be, so if there's any more suggestions for the finer details, now is the time to suggest them! I'll try to incorporate as much as I can.

e: I may be able to break the name limit this way, at least for the protagonist.