Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I just said gently caress it and emptied my gaming PC fund I've been very slowly building up for the past three years and put it towards a quest 2 instead. I'm mostly looking forward to using it to watch 3D movies in huge-o-vision but games are probably gonna be fun too I guess!

Only other VR experience I have is playing around with the DK2 and the Vive both for a weekend each (oh and uh Dactyl Nightmare/Pac Man VR when I was like six I guess) and I figure stuff that's running directly off the headset isn't gonna match Vive games in terms of fidelity but also that was like four years ago so idk maybe I shouldn't be tempering my expectations that much? Either way I'm psyched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Ordered from amazon, supposed to arrive on the 20th. I guess that's not terrible considering I'm in Southeast Asia :shrug:

There's no word on when the battery strap is gonna come be available again, right? I guess I can make do with the stock thing for a while, when I spent time with a DK2 and a Vive they had a similar setup and while they they were a little front-heavy it wasn't like they were totally intolerable.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Amazon's tracking says that my Q2 is in some holding centre in California but plugging in the DHL number says it cleared customs here early this morning :staredog:

Apparently they still haven't shipped the fit pack though...

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Bring back Outrun for VR. I really wanna go far away.

Also I have my Quest 2 and I haven't done much with it other than dick around in various demo environments and goddamn I didn't realise there was browser-based VR, the Mozilla demo isn't anything amazing in itself but the fact that it's running 100% inside the included web browser absolutely floored me.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

The virtual boy emulator is the loving coolest thing in the universe. Only time I ever used a real one was when I played Wario Land for like five minutes in a toys r us 25 years ago and oh wow I'm psyched to be able to finally experience these games, even if it is basically just a neat little novelty I probably won't be excited about for long. Beautiful early 90s Nintendo spritework! In glorious, immersive 3D!!!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

alphabettitouretti posted:

What headphones are ya'll using with the Quest 2?
Not a helpful answer, I just wanted to say none so far because good lord the built in speakers are way better than I ever could have expected.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Synonymous posted:

Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR is on sale for 62% off at the moment.

Any VR fishing aficionados here? How does it compare to say, Real VR Fishing?
(man, somebody in the VR fishing world really needs to start brainstorming titles)
"Reel" is right there ffs

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

canyoneer posted:

My only old gen VR experience was playing the Virtual Boy demo unit at Target while my mom was shopping
This but also a school trip to an indoor family fun zone that had both Pac-Man VR and Dactyl Nightmare setups, as well as this incredibly 90s "virtual tourism" thing in the form of a contoured silver plastic chair with a rudimentary headset loaded with videos of CGI flythroughs of various landscapes. It also featured an aroma dispenser...

Around the same time I got to try a somewhat more cutting-edge setup at the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. I stood in line for an hour to experience a five-minute-long ~20fps on-rails(?) flythrough of a series of flat shaded environments. The headset was some gigantic thing mounted on the end of a crane and I could pivot my viewpoint maybe thirty degrees in any direction from the centre.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

:pray: Please be just an immersive 3D third-person port of the original with Wii-style pointer aiming

Unfortunately I got an unpleasant feeling that it's gonna turn out to be a series of discrete little levels built out of assets from the upcoming remake, retooled into linear first-person shooting galleries. Like a 2021 version of the iphone "port" from back in the day!

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I think it's totally plausible that Sony's third major portable platform is gonna end up being a standalone-peripheral-hybrid VR headset with inside out tracking and tbh I'd put money down on them going in that direction and getting it out the door by mid 2022. Looking forward to seeing them synergise all their prior work on 3D games, motion controls, advanced haptics, and console/portable connectivity.

Also kinda dreaming here but I've long thought that there's a market for selling versions of flat games on VR platforms — or at least there will be as the hardware gradually shrinks down and becomes less cumbersome/more attractive for the average consumer — and Sony is uniquely positioned to have a gigantic library of titles right out the gate. Imagine being able to fire up your PSVR2 and run your existing digital PS4 (and first gen PSVR) games right there on the headset.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

VR Cover has their silicone and cotton over-the-stock-foam Q2 covers in stock, including a snazzy burgundy option that I managed to snag. Still no ETA on the facial interface replacement. Jump in now before their stock vanishes again if you're keen, their site is getting hammered atm

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

VR Cover facial interface is out. And it's available in white if you don't trust that they've fixed the colour fastness from the launch batch

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I got the GOMRVR halo strap. It's extremely good, especially for the price. Also the top strap is totally unnecessary so now I can do vr without messing up my hair :j:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sea of losers posted:

has anyone tried running dolphin emulator on quest 2 or ppsspp on quest 1? id try it but i dont have a bluetooth controller. people have reported success with at least the dolphin android port
Tried latest versions of both regular dolphin and dolphin mmjr, and as far as I can tell from the wind waker title screen, performance is fine. The Q2 doesn't want to play nice with my 8bitdo controller so I can't speak to playability.

Also unfortunately like any other sideloaded flat android app the display just sits in your home environment and can't be resized or repositioned unless you're willing to do annoying workaround-y stuff with recentering. One of the two forks (I forget which) is recognised as a media app and dims the environment when you launch a game, which is something I guess, but if you're serious about actually playing gamecube games on your Q2 I'd recommend installing a hacked pure-black home environment to use it with.

Honestly kinda surprised there's not like a retroarch port on sidequest alongside the doom/quake sourceports and the fuckin virtual boy emu, seems like it'd be easy patreon bait. By which I mean I would absolutely pay like £3 a month or something to be able to play tales of symphonia on a virtual imax screen

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/gravitysketch/status/1341109766068813839?s=21

Gravity Sketch going free starting in January

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For no reason at all I’d like to say that the camera passthrough on the quest 2 is amazing. I heard my phone buzz last night while playing, double tapped the HMD, found my phone picked it up and was able to tell that it wasn’t a text and so I could ignore it. Tossed the phone back on the couch and picked my game back up

We’re in the future.
It's cool but I'm waiting for the ability to cast my phone screen to my headset and have it overlaid in colour so I can properly use it in passthrough

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I don't believe anyone has a similar standalone VR solution announced, no. There haven't even been any hints that someone else has got one in development. I'll be very surprised if we end up seeing any other products in that category (that aren't a Quest 3 or maybe a slight revision of the current model) before the end of 2021.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seems reasonable to expect that Tetris is gonna get a Q2 resolution/detail patch eventually. Haven't tried myself but apparently you can dial the res up in sidequest quite a bit without any noticeable impact on performance.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Dear Watson posted:

I tried quake 1 with side quest which was pretty neat. Does anyone know if anyone is working on UT99? I wanna play facing worlds in VR
I don't think Epic has open sourced any of their old stuff.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Oh poo poo did they finally add the missing sandworms from the reveal gameplay footage?

(I haven't played since like a couple months post launch)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Saukkis posted:

The spoiler tags are way overused on the forums, I read them by reflex before even considering if the context of the rest of the post might indicate a real spoiler. I at least peeked on the spoilers on this discussion just to make sure I wasn't missing on anything relevant.

We need separate "advent calendar" tags. "Open here to read the rest of the story!".
lol I thought I was the only one. Reptile brain goes straight to Ooh There's The Punchline even though it's almost always aeris dies

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm confounded by the person who didn't like Alyx because it doesn't have GTA style joke beer company names

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

There's so much crazy poo poo VR can do we haven't even begun to experience yet

https://twitter.com/pushmatrix/status/1343924184649519105?s=20
I hate the finger grater with my life

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Genuinely astonished that RE4 VR is seemingly just "it's resident evil 4 but in VR" and not a half dozen hacked up on-rails ten minute score attack shooting galleries like the shitass old mobile conversions. And since I'm still salty over the latest round of console ports having no gyro aiming support this is definitely gonna be a day one buy for me.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Origami Dali posted:

wow these new oculus avatars really are poo poo, and i don't even care about avatars
They're crap like basically everything else that isn't a mii but they're still infinitely better than the ones they're replacing.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Fired up my Q2 for the first time in a few months bc I was craving some Superhot and was bombarded with 'tracking lost' errors, and now even though they've gone away following a few reboots it's still horrendously nauseatingly wobbly. I was worried that it had somehow developed some kind of hardware problem in the time it's been sitting unused but a quick search on Reddit suggests that v27 and a bunch of other upgrades have introduced, fixed, and re-introduced this nasty wobbly tracking problem and god jesus christ. Factory reset time maybe I guess?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tracking cameras are definitely spotless. I'll give it another try and see if it spontaneously improves with use. Seen people elsewhere suggesting that too.

I remember back in December-ish there was a firmware update that introduced a bug where it was about 50:50 that coming out of standby would make the tracking completely freak out and go into slo-mo stomach churning drunk mode, and the only thing that fixed that was a factory reset, and that was a giant pain in the dick, so hopefully I can avoid a repeat.

Still, though, how does this stuff get through?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Clearing all my guardian data didn't do anything, but resetting experimental feature settings seems to have done the trick. I was pretty much resorting to trying poo poo at random at that point. Oh well, at least I just lost a couple hours of my evening off instead of damaging furniture/hurting myself due to guardian drift, like I saw a few people reporting while I was hunting for solutions.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I just want someone to port retroarch and let me play Goonies 2 on an imax screen

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I am, regrettably, a non computer haver living out of a suitcase, otherwise I would be all about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Playing dpad games with analogue sticks obviously isn't ideal but otherwise the quest controllers are totally fine for VB emulation.