Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Suburban Dad posted:

How is subnautica in VR?

Performance is a bit spotty. UIs feel a little funky. Swimming feels incredibly immersive (your HMD is a snorkel!) but the game can also be extremely terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It sucks and barely works, VR support was left to rot. There's a mod that helps: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/173

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For no reason at all I’d like to say that the camera passthrough on the quest 2 is amazing. I heard my phone buzz last night while playing, double tapped the HMD, found my phone picked it up and was able to tell that it wasn’t a text and so I could ignore it. Tossed the phone back on the couch and picked my game back up

We’re in the future.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Zaphod42 posted:

the game can also be extremely terrifying.

On yeah. Super creepy normally, I'll probably pee myself in VR. Thanks folks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Subnautica flat out didn't work when I tried it so def try the mod.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Goon consensus on the quest 2, is it a good headset to buy? I don’t have a PC so I’m aware I won’t be able to play some games.

I like the look of population one, is it as fun as it looks?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Crafty posted:

Goon consensus on the quest 2, is it a good headset to buy? I don’t have a PC so I’m aware I won’t be able to play some games.

It is THE headset to buy if you don’t have a PC. Go for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hope nobody was planning to give their Quest 2 to a kid under 13. Facebook won't allow it if they're gonna try to use their own account with the headset.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Crafty posted:

It’s literally your only option if you don’t have a PC.

That said it’s a really good headset regardless.

I’d also like some insight into pop1, it looks fun

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Crafty posted:

Without a PC you honestly lose a chunk of the value but there's still an awful lot on there. I think given the price is so low if you have interest in it and $300 isn't going to sink you I think you'd be pretty happy with it.

Another goon was playing Pop1 and seemed to like it. I don't know what the wait times are and whatnot for the game though. There's a bunch of fun stuff, but be advised the quest store doesn't have price drops/sales like Steam does.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
Thanks, my brothers been raving about his, I just wanted verification. I’ve got a psvr now which is mediocre but I find it fun now and then, going to get a quest and sell this.

They’re currently sold out everywhere I’ve checked, but going to try calling a couple of places tomorrow.

Population one looks great, interested to hear how it plays.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Crafty posted:

Thanks, my brothers been raving about his, I just wanted verification. I’ve got a psvr now which is mediocre but I find it fun now and then, going to get a quest and sell this.

They’re currently sold out everywhere I’ve checked, but going to try calling a couple of places tomorrow.

Population one looks great, interested to hear how it plays.

I managed to get one a week ago by getting on nowinstock.net's Discord channel and waiting for a hit. Snagged one from B&H Photos because they seemed to be listing one or two at a time and luckily I was near a computer when I got the notification.

Edit: I just tried Dirt Rally 2 in VR and I had to stop a minute or so in. Definitely the worst I've felt after trying a game yet. It seemed like that would be the outcome having played that game before and knowing how jostley it is but I was not prepared.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 28, 2020

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

For no reason at all I’d like to say that the camera passthrough on the quest 2 is amazing. I heard my phone buzz last night while playing, double tapped the HMD, found my phone picked it up and was able to tell that it wasn’t a text and so I could ignore it. Tossed the phone back on the couch and picked my game back up

We’re in the future.
It's cool but I'm waiting for the ability to cast my phone screen to my headset and have it overlaid in colour so I can properly use it in passthrough

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Pretty good posted:

It's cool but I'm waiting for the ability to cast my phone screen to my headset and have it overlaid in colour so I can properly use it in passthrough

If you listen to Carmack's last big tech talk he discussed testing out a Quest 2 with full color high resolution passthrough and he said it was mind-blowing. However, he could not convince the team that it was worth rewriting all the tracking software to use cameras that didn't have a global shutter.

I really hope Quest 3 has that, it would be really nice for general passthrough needs but it would also turn it into an amazing AR headset. And you probably wouldn't need to cast your phone's screen into VR.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i severely underestimated the time i would be playing on native quest vs PC, i pretty much spend 95% of my play time on the quest 2 itself. it is so nice to not have to worry about any wires or complicated setup, and for the majority of games i'm playing, the graphics quality hit is perfectly fine

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i severely underestimated the time i would be playing on native quest vs PC, i pretty much spend 95% of my play time on the quest 2 itself. it is so nice to not have to worry about any wires or complicated setup, and for the majority of games i'm playing, the graphics quality hit is perfectly fine

I want to put this post on a banner in the sky, standalone is so much better than people expect it to be and I think a lot of people have convinced themselves they only really want to use PCVR when the reality is they'd get a lot more use out of standalone

There are definitely people who actually do only want PCVR but I don't think you can predict if you're that kind of person that accurately until you've actually had a standalone capable headset for a while

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Welp. My HP Reverb V2 (G1) I bought back in September has completely bricked itself on some weird rear end USB 3.0 error (4-1 and 4-4) that literally started about 3 hours ago. I've been using it successfully since when I bought it in September until today when I was uneventfully playing Elite after mostly trucking in American Truck Sim and listening to audio books. I'm pretty certain it's not anything I did, and I've triple checked drivers, and even tried a separate PCI-e USB3 card. My best guess is this heavy rear end cable hanging off this thing finally broke something and now it's hosed. If the G2 has the same heavy rear end cable I'm not so certain I'd recommend it.

edit: I've also checked it on another machine that will run VR just fine and it's no go there. And of course the old first gen poo poo tastic HP WMR headset works just fine on both machines.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

Shine posted:

There was a slapfight in the SWS thread about TIE visibility and holy poo poo people got really pissy and weird about it. Suffice it to say there are some very strong opinions out there about the merits of rotating the human neck.

I was dying reading the vitriol. For what it's worth, I'm glad that in the real world pilots have the option to look about AND use sensors to plan maneuvers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pimblor posted:

Welp. My HP Reverb V2 (G1) I bought back in September has completely bricked itself on some weird rear end USB 3.0 error (4-1 and 4-4) that literally started about 3 hours ago. I've been using it successfully since when I bought it in September until today when I was uneventfully playing Elite after mostly trucking in American Truck Sim and listening to audio books. I'm pretty certain it's not anything I did, and I've triple checked drivers, and even tried a separate PCI-e USB3 card. My best guess is this heavy rear end cable hanging off this thing finally broke something and now it's hosed. If the G2 has the same heavy rear end cable I'm not so certain I'd recommend it.

edit: I've also checked it on another machine that will run VR just fine and it's no go there. And of course the old first gen poo poo tastic HP WMR headset works just fine on both machines.

The G2's just using a single cable rather than the fat double the G1 has, so it's probably literally half the weight.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The G2's just using a single cable rather than the fat double the G1 has, so it's probably literally half the weight.

I actually designed and 3d printed a belt clip for that stupid cable when I first got it assuming that weight and strain was going to be a problem but I broke it and forgot to update it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Suburban Dad posted:

Added index to order on the 19th and it'll be here on the 29th. Pretty decent vs. what I heard and expected. Their own site said 2-4 weeks, even.

Probably will pick up lenses for old man eyes soon and maybe covers but I'm the only one who will use it most likely so I'll wait and see if I think the stock ones are ok or not. Anything else worth getting ASAP? Even game suggestions would be welcome since this was sort of an impulse buy.

How is subnautica in VR?

That's incredibly quick. My wait time was in the order of months, not days.

Pistol Whip rocks, get that if you like rhythm games at all.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Thinking about replacing my Rift S with a Quest 2, since support for it will be ended probably fairly soon and I did really enjoy the wireless aspect of the Quest when I had it. How strict is the facebook stuff? I don't even think I have one.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Pylons posted:

Thinking about replacing my Rift S with a Quest 2, since support for it will be ended probably fairly soon and I did really enjoy the wireless aspect of the Quest when I had it. How strict is the facebook stuff? I don't even think I have one.

You need a Facebook account. You don't have to post anything to it or actually use it. If you do end up having issues, contact Oculus support for help as they can fix Facebook account problems.

thingul
Mar 2, 2005
After reading through the op the quest 2 looks like something I would enjoy, especially the wireless freedom. Is there anything planned or in the works that will make the quest feel like a turd in the coming months?

I have an up to date computer so a normal vr set would probably work well, but the index is out of my price range atm. I'm also unsure on what I should expect from a mobile device like the quest 2, my only other vr experience have been with a samsung 7 and gear vr.

Grashnak
Apr 30, 2006

Oven Wrangler
The Quest 2 only just came out and no-one else has announced a wireless VR headset so there's nothing on that front you'll be missing out on. The only things that other headsets have over the quest is higher resolution and slightly better controller tracking using lighthouses instead of the cameras on the headset that the quest uses. That said the controller tracking on the quest hasn't been an issue for me at all.

I think that the dedicated PCVR headsets have slightly better latency as well, but I've never found it to be an issue when playing PCVR games myself.

The Quest basically functions as a normal PCVR headset plus you can install games directly onto it and then play them without needing to use a PC at all. This is super good for stuff like beat saber and pistol whip, obviously you won't be able to play Half Life Alyx or anything this way though. You can use Virtual Desktop to play PCVR games via wireless though which is incredibly good.

In my opinion unless you are going to be playing sims where you need the higher res and don't care about the wireless side of things I'd 100% say to get the Quest every time.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I don't believe anyone has a similar standalone VR solution announced, no. There haven't even been any hints that someone else has got one in development. I'll be very surprised if we end up seeing any other products in that category (that aren't a Quest 3 or maybe a slight revision of the current model) before the end of 2021.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
only mentioning this because there is a notion of a false dichotomy between PCVR and wireless on built in apps on the quest 2... The quest 2 does both rather flawlessly. I had better experiences playing elite dangerous via virtual desktop wirelessly than I did tethered to USB3. Valve and HTC headsets look nice but they sure as gently caress don't do wireless PCVR and are more than double the cost. I guess the only drawback is if you have a facebook hate-boner

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pretty good posted:

I don't believe anyone has a similar standalone VR solution announced, no. There haven't even been any hints that someone else has got one in development. I'll be very surprised if we end up seeing any other products in that category (that aren't a Quest 3 or maybe a slight revision of the current model) before the end of 2021.

Yeah, the problem is literally nobody really expected a truely competitive 6DOF standalone VR device happening any time soon, and suddenly the Quest popped into existence in 2018. Late 2018. The timeframe on that for anyone going from "oh poo poo we should make our own" to anything they can talk about earnestly in public probably isn't gonna be anytime in the immediate future. Especially not after this past year :yikes:. The Quest 2 could potentially push that back even further just by upping the stakes with better specs as quickly as it did after the original's release.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

only mentioning this because there is a notion of a false dichotomy between PCVR and wireless on built in apps on the quest 2... The quest 2 does both rather flawlessly. I had better experiences playing elite dangerous via virtual desktop wirelessly than I did tethered to USB3. Valve and HTC headsets look nice but they sure as gently caress don't do wireless PCVR and are more than double the cost. I guess the only drawback is if you have a facebook hate-boner

They're double the cost because of the hardware involved. Lighthouse tracking's a tradeoff of cost for fidelity, and the Index has the best spatial audio available on the market for VR. Also the original Vive and Vive Pro (also the Cosmos, but lol) actually do have a Wireless kit available for them.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're double the cost because of the hardware involved. Lighthouse tracking's a tradeoff of cost for fidelity, and the Index has the best spatial audio available on the market for VR. Also the original Vive and Vive Pro (also the Cosmos, but lol) actually do have a Wireless kit available for them.

Woah just took a look and the wireless kit for HTC headsets is $300-350

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Lockback posted:

Yeah, your brain is actually getting rewired a little bit. It's probably not bad (and might be actually quite good!) but it's a good reason to not let little kids play for more than a short period. It goes away before too long.

I also agree to try to take breaks more often than normal gaming.

I actually bought Tetris Effect for the Q2 anyway because I thought it'd be a better mobile game anyway.

Having now played both, I have to say I prefer the PCVR version. Visuals are really important in this game and playing it through again via GamePass (having previously bought it for the Q1), it's a lot more breathtaking on PC.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
My Quest 2 has started not connecting to the PC properly, saying graphics card not compatible (I have an AMD Radeon 580).

I was having connection problems before, tried loads of things with Oculus support before someone on Reddit said to rollback the drivers, to 20.10.1 which worked, then yesterday the graphics card not compatible error came up, and in headset I get the PC not detected error message.

Anyone had any similar problems/fixes?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Seems reasonable to expect that Tetris is gonna get a Q2 resolution/detail patch eventually. Haven't tried myself but apparently you can dial the res up in sidequest quite a bit without any noticeable impact on performance.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GutBomb posted:

It is THE headset to buy if you don’t have a PC. Go for it.

Even if you do have a PC it's like a 3 out of 10 on annoying third-party experiences to sidegrade it with wireless Steam VR.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

I want to put this post on a banner in the sky, standalone is so much better than people expect it to be and I think a lot of people have convinced themselves they only really want to use PCVR when the reality is they'd get a lot more use out of standalone

There are definitely people who actually do only want PCVR but I don't think you can predict if you're that kind of person that accurately until you've actually had a standalone capable headset for a while

It’s me. This is me. I bought a big ol 16 foot link cable before I got my q2, expecting to mostly use oculus link with my pc, and I haven’t touched it yet.

I will, because I wanna do iracing with it, but in general, the native quest stuff is a lot better than I expected and can for sure stand on its own

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

How well does the link cable hold? Seems like something that could pop out during use.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

hello internet posted:

How well does the link cable hold? Seems like something that could pop out during use.

It's fine. The quest 2 has a bit you can thread the cable through so it's secure, and on my quest 1 I loop it in through the straps on the 3rd party padding. But even without any of those, I've never had a cable fall out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Mine was decently secure if I ran it through a strap. Every now and then, it would wiggle slightly and disconnect me from my PC. But Virtual Desktop over wifi has been a more consistently good experience for me. I hardly get any lag, and it's way easier to re-connect if you DC.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
lol if you don't have a haphazard arrangement of bungee hooks and screws in your ceiling to hold your VR cables in different positions

This works fine. I will love wireless as soon as it's a real option but the Quest 2 is too much worse than the G2 for my uses, also, after owning a Rift S I am done ever owning facebook hardware again and I can't wait to sell mine.

edit: before anyone asks it's not a loving MAGA hat, it has a pot leaf and says "Make America High Again" and I only have it because my dad's mechanic was forcing them on anyone within 400 miles

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cabbages and Kings posted:

lol if you don't have a haphazard arrangement of bungee hooks and screws in your ceiling to hold your VR cables in different positions

This works fine. I will love wireless as soon as it's a real option but the Quest 2 is too much worse than the G2 for my uses, also, after owning a Rift S I am done ever owning facebook hardware again and I can't wait to sell mine.

edit: before anyone asks it's not a loving MAGA hat, it has a pot leaf and says "Make America High Again" and I only have it because my dad's mechanic was forcing them on anyone within 400 miles

Oh no, please don't hang yourself! You have so much to live for! :stonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

My favorite thing about vr so far is that I've never heard so many people laughing and giggling and just having a genuinely good time while gaming