Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Node posted:

I have a birthday coming up and I think I'm going to treat myself and dip my toes into VR. I've done some reading, and it sounds like if you want to play PC games, the right choice is the Oculus Quest 2, despite signing your soul away to Facebook. Is that the best headset for playing on the computer? The Rift sounded great, but they're discontinuing support for it, so I don't think it would be future proofed.

I imagine I will have to physically connect it to my computer, since the battery life is a bit low. My computer doesn't have USB-C connections, so will I have to get a USB 3.0 to USB-C adapter, and will that be enough to power the headset?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks, VR thread.

quest 2 is so far away in value proposition that is is truly lol. setting up a battery pack head thing is pretty simple imo, I just used command wall straps, stretched off the sticky crap and use that clean side for my head + 2 stickers on any piece of crap battery pack. smush it between the top strap. easy peasy.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lemming posted:

Then someone needs to get off their rear end and make an actual Quest competitor. Standalone is so clearly where VR is going, it's painful to see other people not keeping up

I always lolled at the resident cspam vr enthusiast because it was so obvious vr would always be dumb so long as you needed a gaming cpu to do it, so when I went from CV1 to Q2 i lolled at how effectively facebook pulled it off. 300 per unit to compete against just seems brutal, to me.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Competition for Compound (another FPS roguelite VR game)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638130/Sweet_Surrender/?utm_campaign=TWI

Coming to Steam and Quest.

they need to just make void bastards vr already

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
It's too late. if you've bough a vr headset you have already crossed the rubicon. if you're not even willing to spend 150 dollars on a PoE switch and an AP god will not look kindly upon you.

Leathal posted:

While a dedicated WiFi 6 router is definitely the best way to go (especially if you’re like me and your neighbors all have like 3 APs each locked in an arms race for supremacy through paper thin walls),

lol goddamn

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Broose posted:

I just learned that facebook bought out the lens developers/manufactures that Valve was working with for their new headset. Real scummy poo poo.

Should i be cheering for the ppl dropping cash gobbling stuff or gabe newell sitting on the dragons hoard here lol.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lemming posted:

That said I still think they're completely and utterly directionless. If the metaverse of the last Oculus connect is all they make nobody will care and it'll be a huge flop, lol

They’ve got too much money sloshing arount (and invested in the pos vr market) and are trying to create demand and it’s really funny how the desire for returns has manifested itself lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also they don't have to care if it sucks now so long as they get everyone onto their platform first. They can fix it after the fact and by then it doesn't matter if anyone else comes along because everyone's on their platform, which is what matters in the end and why their budget is functionally unlimited.

yeah its the same market cornering you see in everything else, it's just really funny considering VR's limitations as a consumer product. Until then cheap poo poo ftw.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lol internet. posted:

What is the benefit of virtual desktop? I used the steam virtual desktop.. but it's not like I can play videos in VR mode?

So I only use my quest for VR car bullshit. So I got my seat, wheel, etc sitting in a corner but its away from a monitor and i don't want a monitor there anyway because it'd be a pain in the rear end. So that's fine for stuff like Dirt 2.0 that's completely VR but say I want to play Forza with my wheel to set rivals time or something: VD is way better at the fake screen than the Oculus solution. You can dial it in way better, it also doesn't gently caress up my audio. Pocketcast for windows will never, ever work for oculus' solution. Like just being able to switch screens with a button... how tf did they not do any quality of life stuff with the the oculus crap lol

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 24, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you know im wondering, is it possible to spoof monitor output to virtual desktop? It vaguely seems like it should be possible to create a false vga or something at 1440p/4k then get widescreen onto a fake virtual monitor.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Sab669 posted:

A friend gave me his old racing wheel/pedals, so I just ordered a collapsible stand off Amazon.

Steam says Assetto Corsa and Project Cars 2 are both "VR Supported" - anyone ITT have any insight as to which is easier/better to get working with an Index?

Didn't even realize there was a PC3 but reviews are mixed on steam :shrug: Also I mostly play Gran Tourismo when I owned a Playstation, so... also whichever would be closer to that I guess? I'm not sure which is more Sim

its not what you asked for but I'm going to proselytize because i love the game so much: try Richard Burns Rally, its free and comes in a complete package. VR support hacked in lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

drat this is sick as hell, imagine never having played skyrim at all and this being the first pass.

njsykora posted:

RBR these days is so incredibly hacked together it's honestly barely worth the trouble to gently caress with, I tried it again recently and just getting my modern wheel to work with the game was an hour in forum threads. Just get Dirt Rally 2 and be done with it if you want to get muddy.

drat really? what happened lol. only thing i really ever hosed with is make sure my on screen lock was set correctly/inverting handbrake which is pretty easy via the launcher. csl dd for reference. also making sure to install the ancient dx9 package it comes with

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 12, 2022

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
oh hey look new quest booyah. i assume it'll be pico'esqe. may god have mercy upon us and have facebook improve their crappy desktop software.

SCheeseman posted:

I'm not sure if the keyboard is figured out yet, their virtual keyboard looks slick and maybe decent hand tracking will finally make the idea work, much like touchscreen keyboards were unusable until they weren't. It's one of the few near-field optimised UI elements, virtual touchscreens are supported but it appears mostly to serve unported iPad and iPhone apps.

just do swiping with your eyes. way less annoying to floating ghost keyboard. pay me apple. mf trying to take the keyboard out of the keyboard...

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Goons have the worst YouTube takes.

(among cadre that have 800-1k+ computer chairs) haha, that guys chair looks like a bucket seat

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
now back onto the actual really, really respectable, good & not undignified uses of money.... i nabbed a second hand quest pro locally and lol at how this is the total package. pancake lenses are fuckin sick. also ipd adjustment that can fit my gargantuan brain... the future is here

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

njsykora posted:

I defended the Elite Strap for a while but then I took it off, put it away in its box for a week and when I pulled it back out it cracked immediately. Then I got the BoboVR strap with the battery pack mount and yeah that strap ruled.

ive hated every strap, gasket whatever compared to quest pro open style. you simply cannot play for an extended period without it being a sweat magnet. but i also don't whip my head playing sims so maybe that style flies off in like more active usecases or somethin

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Since I got the qpro i was offloading my q2/G2 and I sold the G2 to a vrchat DJ lol. He was pasty white, Blade would surely have slew him were he stood.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Parallelwoody posted:

I set up a new service with the only two connections to the network being my computer through ethernet and my quest 2 wireless. 4ft from the router and I still couldn't get it to work without dropping to single digit FPS at some points, so I'm definitely interested in alternatives as it seems like Airlink just doesn't want to cooperate.

i bought a wax202 used on amazon for 30 smackers and just slapped it on top of my pc by using it as a lan passthrough and didn't even set it up and used it factory network lol. whatever it works.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
I use my headset to spatially lay down and play ac valhalla, akin to a dead viking on a ship about to be set aflame.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Spitfires posted:

is this a ps vr thing? ac valhalla or odyssey would be fun to play in vr

no im just using virtual desktop. the qpro screens have better color than my tnpanel 1080p lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Hadlock posted:

do you need a physical wheel if you have VR controllers? seems like it would be pretty close in terms of feel

Lmfao. Hadlock this is going onto the list of your posting crimes

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The actual problem with no wheel is dealing with gas and brake. You can do some controller jank to deal with that. Plenty of insane poor euros play RBR to insane levels using a controller lol. I imagine assetto is probably alright on old laptop’s performance wise. Just shoot for 60fps.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Hot Take : I don't like wheels for racing games and I never have.

I super enjoy driving in real life. Its not an issue of wanting it more real or not. My brain just hates using wheels and pedals in video games and I'd rather just use an xbox controller or something. Even in VR.

I've used full blown sim setups. Its not about quality or any of that poo poo. I just really dislike wheels in video games. Hated em in the arcades too.

Wheels are a bit over hyped, a lot of the terms about them are pure marketing and don't explain a drat thing. It's something I've thought about, since i've spent way too much money on it. Some games they're clearly totally unnecessary overkill, others I might as well chop off my hands instead of using a controller. Beside, the real way of playing racing games is with a keyboard. WASD+space bar what more do you need.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

KillHour posted:

There are other times though when the wheel calibration is wrong or whatever game's physics are floaty and vague or maybe just the car setup is hosed and everything feels like mush.

It's finicky as all hell and really, really grognardy..

Yeah, Wheel calibration is a large part of enjoyment and loving it up can really gently caress up the experience. The insanely dumb settings ive gotten from youtube and ended up fixing months later lol. This is where a game having its own dedicated discord community helps.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

one thing that is frustrating with simming is that when I put it into third person and drive with analog stick I get way better times than i do with fpv and force feedback steering wheels

Thats the marketing thing I mentioned earlier. They love to upsell wheels without explaining why you would actually want xyz. Wheels will absolutely not give most ppl good times and in certain games are the worse choice. Plenty of ppl doing good times on controllers generally. Terms like real, etc get thrown about but theyve got it all wrong its just primarily for immersion. I could do rwd gravel with a controller but the entire enjoyment of the exercise is lost.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 5, 2023

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

MikusR posted:

Its interesting that people are recommending somebody who said they can't afford a pc, a laptop that costs 2x as much as a pc.

The solution is always ebay/offerup/facebook marketplace. There’s always somebody out there who doesn’t know what they got.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

explosivo posted:

People who are way too into VR Chat

When I sold my reverb g2 i sold it to a vr chatter troop and the man wouldnt let me go talking about vr, vr chat and DJ’ing in vr. He was the whitest man I’d ever seen, pale beyond reckoning like some vampiric lord. They are powerful beyond words.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Nalin posted:

2026: trust me guys the deckward is going to totally blow the quest 4 away, i saw it in the latest steamvr leaks

every time i see deckard i imagine wrex saying it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

TIP posted:

I don't think the pro has a higher PPD, they have pretty similar FOV but the 3 has significantly more pixels

it seems like the only areas where the pro wins is in contrast, face/eye tracking, and controllers

the 3 wins on resolution, refresh rate, standalone performance, passthrough quality, and depth sensing/mixed reality

forgetting the important bit, if you've got a big rear end pc graphics card: AV1

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Oh cool, I just upgraded to a 4070 earlier this year - but is AV1 only on Quest Pro?

2nd gen xr2 only. Qpro has first gen xr2+

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

akadajet posted:

Just unboxed my quest 3. Text! It’s really sharp. Actually the whole display is amazing. I won’t be able to go back to fresnel optics again. It’s way better than the reverb g2.

The default strap is also fine this time around. It’s all very comfortable.

coming from g2 to pancake is like wiping the vaseline from your eyes

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
drat the passthrough is sick, being able to see phone/computer monitor is basically a feature in itself lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you can sort dial in your comfortable distance by changing the brightness of the phone screen, its a very sweetspot thing where it has to be dead center relative to whatever array of cameras its running

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
i protect my quest by throwing it on the floor, where it belongs

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

What was bad about SkyrimVR? I'm thinking about trying it out with one of those mega modpacks (Yggdrasil)

thank g*d for wabbajack as it finally realizes the dream of circumventing modder bullshit lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cutedge posted:

:rip:

edit: sorry for double post

blind? more like robbed blind :smugdon:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ShaneB posted:

This lasik conversation is loving classic sa thread stuff. Which means it sucks.

i just put on glasses, one neat trick. laser eye surgeons hate it!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
people still use regular batteries:dafuq: makes sense if you need a billion items powered but household is rechargable all the way. you just get to never think about it again. you have to go bonkers to kill em in a reasonable timeframe

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
the silicone interface may be the only official addon dlc for a consumer product that was overpriced but non poo poo ive ever gotten lol. i got amazon to give me a slick 30 dollars refund from some price drop for other crap and used that to try it out and its basically cushioned silicone, pretty good.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
never having to deal with WMR again is a blessing directly from god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

Just tried to fire up my quest 2 after a year. Never had a meta account set up. Every link I can find brings me back to to the meta quest setup page which is 100% broken. Every way I try to login via my active FB page gives me a "sorry we're broken" error. Is this a random error that'll get fixed or am I somehow screwed?

if you dgaf what you have on there i’d just hold power and vol down and factory reset the headset because it’ll be less a pain in the rear end