Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Man I'm glad I got Arizona Sunshine for a super discount, because there is no way that game is worth $40. I guess it'd be fun to play co-op, but so far it's pretty underwhelming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

priznat posted:

:agreed:, sub $20 with DLC is a fine price but full price, no thanks.

Do you use teleport movement or try walking? I just teleport around. I find I usually get into trouble because the zombs come at me from behind (and also I can't aim for poo poo usually). Playing co-op where you can watch each other's backs would probably help a lot.

Movement is, at least for me, pretty buggy in this game and teleporting seems to suit it better. In general I much prefer stick movement. Yeah, co-op is probably where it's at with this game with how the levels are constructed and how the gameplay is.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Zaphod42 posted:

It was the closest thing we had to HL Alyx for the first few years of VR, but now that Alyx is available it is purely obsolete and should definitely only be bought on sale.

The modes where you just fight off endless zombie waves for as long as you can survive are pretty fun at least.

Yeah I guess. I kinda had to know as every YouTuber is pushing it as a "must have game".

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I have no idea why they'd force people to do that, unless it's some dumb streamlining thing where they don't think people are capable of changing install location...

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Looked into Until You Fall after a recommendation a couple of pages back. Looks good, but are there any other roguelike games that have more "realistic" feel to them? Or just some skill based sword fighting game without magic and that isn't a buggy mess?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
So me and my wife were contemplating getting a second headset to play coop stuff and started looking at Quest 2 headsets... but then I remembered the Facebook account poo poo. I've deleted mine, and my wife has a deactivated one for messenger only. I am not gimping my Oculus account by merging it with Facebook. So I guess the Quest 2 is ruled out. But a cheap Quest 1 could work, however for the game that don't allow singe-account multiplayer we'd need a new account... and I guess I can't make a new one without it being tied to Facebook? Anyone in the know?

The other VR devices options aren't really viable for us.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

njsykora posted:

This is correct, you can’t create new Oculus accounts any more. Existing ones are grandfathered until sometime in 2022 I believe so you don’t have much more time on that either.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The unfortunate part is that there is no cheap, good headset that isn’t Oculus.

You could maybe try to find a used Vive, but you have to deal with 1.0 lighthouses, flaky wands and all that.

I’m honestly sort of surprised no one has found a way to make a CV1 or RiftS work without the oculus software and/or hacked the oculus software to not need a login

Yeah saw some google result saying January 2023. Man Facebook sucks. Hopefully someone finds a way to do the equivalent of a custom ROM on a phone for the Quest.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I found a second hand Quest 1 and picked it up for some same-account playing with my wife. Worst case scenario would be buying some on sale game using her FB account, but so far pretty much everything we want to play has same-account multiplayer. I tell myself that at least I didn't give facebook the money. :smithicide:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

GTO posted:

No sure whether they're exclusives but walkabout mini golf and eleven table tennis are both great and suit untethered play.

I'm really looking forward to walkabout mini golf with my wife.

Also, apart from a break because of having a cold I've been getting into VR exercise again and "Until you fall" is actually a pretty good work out. It's fun as well so I also end up playing way more than I expected.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

raditts posted:

Not sure if it applies to Quest 1's or not, but as of 4-5 months back, the primary account on a Quest 2 can share their library with the sub-accounts on one(1) headset, allowing you to purchase a game once and play it together with someone else, but again, only if your account is the primary account on the headset they're using and you enable App Sharing on that headset.

There are a few games where the devs still say "gently caress you, buy the game twice" like Beat Saber, but here's a list that's pretty regularly updated:

https://casandchary.com/oculus-quest-app-sharing-list/

Nice, thanks for the list. Set it up today after spending 30 min cleaning it. I mean I am going to deep clean a second hand one, but why don't people log out and at least do a basic dusting. Bought the mini golf game and it was everything we hoped for. So much fun playing VR together.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
The very few times I've bashed the rings into stuff, I've been kinda glad that it wasn't my hand. The only time the Quest 1 loses tracking in my experience is when the cameras can't see it. Otherwise it's always been spot on.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think I am definitely old now. I remember hooking my dad up with Super Black Bass for the SNES way back when and laughing at how entranced he was with it. The guy thought it was a modern miracle - fishing right in the den!

Well now I'm fully happy sitting for twenty minutes with this headset on just looking around at the lobby environments. I can't stop thinking about beat saber while I'm at work. I have become my dad, completely blown away by what I assume is a very mundane technology to someone much younger than me.

Not really VR related, but your memory just triggered my memory of my dad helping us kids getting to the next level in Donkey Kong Country back in the 90's. Turns out he spent all nights practicing some nights so that he could help us out. :3 Thanks for triggering that memory for me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Tagichatn posted:

EmuVR looks really cool, it's basically a little vr room with a bunch of tvs to play emulated games on. Duck Season played straight I suppose? It uses retroarch so there's a lot of supported consoles. I'm still fiddling with it but it feels cozy as gently caress, turn on snowy winter outside and turn down the lights.

https://www.emuvr.net/

Wow this looks super cosy. Going to try this with the wife asap. Thanks for the link!