Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ooh, lets trace our lineage of depth perception devices

My friends Virtual Boy->3DS->New 3DS->Monoculus Rift->Oculus Rift

I'm gonna go pick up an HP WMR in a few minutes to make a portable beat saber rig :woop:

I gave that HP headset to my brother after I got a vive. I miss those controllers; they're not the comfiest but they're light as hell and makes beat saber quite a bit easier IMO (if you're not chasing expert plus custom weeaboo top 10 leaderboard positions)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I just bought a Vive Wireless Adapter, what is the recommended battery pack to pick up for it?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I would just look at some benchmarks, that will give you a good idea.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

TimWinter posted:

Looks like my current graphics card is just under apecnfor HLA: how do I go about getting recommendations for a new one?

just get the best card you can afford. 2070 Super is popular

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Vive owners, I need help: I was playing some pistol whip and after finishing decided to plug in my controllers to recharge.

The orange light did not come on. I tried multiple cables and USB ports, and the wall worts that came with the controllers. Nada.

The thing is, they still function normally in game. Tracking, Bluetooth pairing, rumble, everything works. I just can't charge either of them.

I seriously do not want to pay 400$ for more wands. Googling a fix led me to "resetting" the controllers, but that didn't work.

What do? I am kinda disappointed because they were working fine recently and I generally use them at least twice a week.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yep, was thinking that actually but they're sold out 🤔
and crisis averted, both the USB cables that came with the vive wands happened to give out at the same time and the third cable I tried was also dead :shrug:

used a fourth micro usb cable I found and holy poo poo we have an orange light :pray:

still gonna buy the knuckles eventually. I can't justify getting the index headset, and my 1070/3600 don't have the juice to power 144hz, so I think I'll be building up my index piecemeal. Doesn't seem like they're a a HUGE discount buying it all in one bundle

anyway I'm feeling very relieved

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah the cables had worn apart at the connector. I only figured it out after seeing an orange light appear while holding the cable a certain way. it reminded me of lovely aux cables that have died on me where you'd have to bend the cable at a right angle at the jack for it to work. and the first cable I grabbed besides the vive ones was a thick rear end and crinkly one from like 5 years ago. time to spend some money on some decent micro usb cables. Because I deserve it

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I had a pretty stuffed 256gb SSD as my c:/ drive and looked at the install size for Vader Immortal Episode 1, 2.66 GB required. I had a vive so I just needed to grab ReVive and go from there. Easy peasy. I was having people over to try out some VR games and poo poo and the lightsaber dojo to me seemed like a no-brainer.

Then I had to install the Oculus first time VR training experience thing? There's no option to not install it. It was like 10 gigs. Plus the actual Oculus software. Plus Vader. Turns out I didn't have the space and it wasn't the most annoying thing in the world but I kinda expected more from one of the richest companies in the world

now I have a 512 NVMe drive and I'm laughing, but my c:/ drive WAS usually stuffed because I use it a lot for temporary editing files and as my staging drive for downloads and similar things before moving them off to another drive

also I understand I am to blame because I wasn't cleaning my room per se but drat let me just dump this 13 gigs worth of poo poo to my SSD storage drive or my HDD

and I deal with computers and "normal consumers" all the time, and most people with SSD's have a 128gb one for Windows and a 1tb for storage. And most of the prebuilt gaming computers being sold in best buy and poo poo are the same, 128gb sata SSD and 1 or 2 TB storage

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

A big part of my excitement for Boneworks is going to be discovering the unique actions/interactions/environments they've designed. The story is somewhat tangential, I just don't want to see too much of the actual game.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Anyone with a Vive Wireless adapter? I need some advice.

I had mine RMA'd because it wouldn't turn on, but after getting it back, it still doesn't turn on. The battery is fine - this time I've tested 3 different cables USB A-A that I know work and I've tested the battery as well. I'm at a loss. Sending it back to HTC is going to cost like 40 bucks again, and I don't have a guarantee it'll work

googling the problem led me nowhere.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

So, having now I have a Vive with a wireless adapter that works (turns out it was the battery) and it's bonkers.

It doesn't immediately feel that freeing, until you start spinning like a ballerina in take and hold when you get rushed in the harder zones. Jet Island is way more fun. Playing pavlov TTT is a lot more "freeing", the minor amount roleplaying that comes along with each round is just made that much better.

I was looking at some best of VR lists, is Battlezone a fun and worthwhile time? I don't really have any mech/racing games. I was also thinking of getting Ultrawings to fill the same need

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah I found the virtual stick in No Man's Sky to be pretty manageable and I've heard nothing but good things about Ultrawings.

Is Lone Echo/Echo Arena playable with the Vive Wands? I won't have the opportunity to get some knuckles with more control options for a few months.

Oh and Tea for God is way more fun without cables.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Luneshot posted:

Oh man, now I’m thinking about a Cities Skylines VR mod. Changing the scale of your view, walking around your city in first person or poking at it like a toy train model. With included kaiju mode, of course.

Yeah, if you've ever spent some time spectating in Pavlov the controls for modifying the size of the spectator cam is pretty intuitive and could be used pretty easily in an RTS.

Now that you mention it, does anyone remember From Dust?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxDColNWdss

It was a fairly unique game and appealed to me primarily because of the water simulation. Never did beat it though 🤔 In a similar vein there's VR Sand, kinda like the old browser game, and it has pretty rudimentary physics for fire, water, etc, but if there was a halfway decent port of From Dust I think it would be pretty fun.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Aaaaaaaaaand..............unstoked. On both accounts.

Am I missing some huge thing here?

Yeah, Boneworks has a title menu that says "for experienced VR users" and it seems like it's one of your first VR games. The midlevel saves thing isn't as big of a deal as some mention. I would say people who haven't spent time learning the ambulatory vernacular of VR in many different games of a long period of time would have issues with Boneworks, because it requires some fluency in that regard. It says as much in the title menu.

Refund it and come back later, or keep it and come back later. It is a pretty fun game and it was worth it in my opinion

H3VR is different. First of all, have you found out what your preferred movement style in VR is? Teleport? Smooth locomotion? Arm-swing? Do you snap or smooth turn? I use arm-swing and (fast) smooth turn personally. Once you've figured that in, configure that as your movement option.

Then it comes down to how much you know about guns and figuring out the controller analog for gun functions. Like someone said upthread, at the item spawner where you select guns, it will show you the instructions for loading and firing that specific weapon.

Beyond that, use the infinite ammo toggle so you can pull infinite clips/mags/shells/bullets from your vest.

ALSO

Take and Hold is incredible fun. But you have to play with the game mode settings to get the most (of what you want) out of it.

My brother only plays Take and Hold with the item spawner on. This let's you choose any weapon you want for use in that mode by giving you an item spawner in your starting room. This removes scoring, but he doesn't care, he always wants to have a silenced USP on his hip no matter what dice-roll gun he gets from the case.

There's also the infinite ammo toggle as well. If you're new to take and hold, play with infinite ammo on your vest. You will find it less stressful as you figure out the ebb and flow of the game.

Also, configure things like gravity and your health.

Playful gravity means everything lighter gravity than earth but not like, insane moon gravity, so mags are easier to snatch if you drop one, enemies will go tumbling through the air with a shotgun blast, and you can do things like.. pull the axe from over your shoulder and kill the SOSIG that rushed you around the corner, see the 4 other armoured SOSIGS rushing from behind him, throw your ace straight up into the air freeing your hand to grab your dual holstered beretta's and light them up before throwing them away like John Woo is directing you before you catch the axe you had thrown into the air moments before, swinging it one fluid motion and decapitating like two sausage dudes.

You can also turn on Arcade mode for the enemy guns, which means they're much slower and have tracers. You can give yourself more health. You can choose what type of loadout you'll be randomly gifted.

There is a ton of depth to take and hold. And I would not disagree that it's very impenetrable when it comes to figuring it all out, especially if you're new to VR

but it's one of the best VR games ever made so :shrug:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

"platform" and "open" are heavily overloaded words. In your mind, between the spec, tools, runtime, and SDK, which parts are open, and in what sense are they open?

If you're just talking about *hardware* - "anyone can make a lighthouse" - then that's kind of meaningless.

I don't think it's "anyone can make lighthouses" it's "people can build devices that use lighthouses", like the Logitech VR pen/brush, the vive trackers, and things like these haptic controllers that use the lighthouses

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I finished Boneworks last night. It was pretty good but I don't know if it's mind-blowing, every moment of virtual lucidity was countered by a design decision that would drag me right the gently caress out.

The music rules, though.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Boneworks 2 should be really interesting when it arrives, but I still feel the original experience is a little hollow.

The AI is incredibly stupid, it's either nullbodies, head crabs, or the holographic enemies. They don't do anything that requires you to use any of the cool physics interactions available in the environment.

One basic example that easily balloons with gameplay possibilities is: Having a wood bridge that has enemies along it.

In this scenario you could: shoot/melee the bridge until the wood structure can't sustain the weight of the enemies and collapses.

Stack boxes in the ditch and reach the other side without even using the bridge.

Have a simple pendulum physics object (could be anything, no justification needed in mythos) that could be freed with gunshot or by using your body to push the weight, which then bowls over anyone on the bridge.

Punch holes in the bridge using a melee weapon to make the nullbodies drop a leg in, trapping themselves.

Set it on fire?

Have a Tarzan rope in the map already, or give the player the option of making one themselves (easy enough to imagine being in-game) to swing across the gap

Have a drainage pipe available for you to open, washing away the nullbodies on the bridge

I'm just spitballing but it doesn't feel like a lot of imagination went into how you interact with the NPC's AND the environment, you're either doing a physics puzzle or in a small skirmish until you traverse to the next skirmish.

Also, I know that Euphoria is licensed to Rockstar and probably costs a huge amount of money that Stress Level Zero does NOT have to license, but I feel like having the "Natural Motion" or whatever they call the "biomechanical AI" would go a LONG way to just loving around and playing with the nullbodies.

I was hoping for more interactive physics in the environments, and being able to use the environment objects for combat and puzzle solving. There are quite a few physics objects, certainly, but they're mostly things like... a seesaw, or a pallet jack, or... a barrel.

I still really enjoyed it though. Here's hoping Alyx will hit those moments, but I'd just be happy with a polished shooter :shrug:

fake edit: I forgot the euphoria developers..
Euphoria? Anyway they also had interesting physics for wood/metal/glass/plastics, with things bending a little before they break, mostly, but I feel like this needs to be explored a bit more, especially in VR

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I believe 3 lighthouses are better. no doubt

but like, that's a lotta money, man. 200$ Canadian scrums.

Do it if you want? It doesn't seem worth the 200$ upgrade considering the new lighthouses are 1/3 faster and more accurate than the OG lighthouses... which I have, and have never had an issue with tracking

but if you have money to piss out of your dick or vagina or cloaca then piss away

waiting to be told that I just never noticed my OG lighthouse tracking being the equivalent of a cloudy eyed sailor relaying my position through a broken telescope from a shaking crow's nest half a kilo away and my opinion is worth the cloaca piss I was talking about earlier

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah that is the best way to do that? I’ve been wanting to capture my iracing races

I’m looking for some info on this as well, I wanted to record some No Mans Sky footage and wasn’t able to find a way to change it from the binocular vision it shows on my second monitor.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

from what HTC have said about the Wireless Adapter that's currently out for the vive/vpro, it has a ton of bandwidth headroom that they don't even need yet - according to Intel their wigig can support up to 4.6 Gbps/half a GB. I would assume with compression you'd be able to use an index with something similar eventually.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

showcasing the strengths of VR isn't something that is dependant on a jump button. I'm not really worried about alyx.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

i'm anticipating more saints and sinners impressions, based on everything I've read so far i'm pretty sure i'll pick it up. The other VR walking dead game, Onslaught looks like reskinned arizona sunshine. I was glad to find out the "good" one was coming out sooner than later

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

raw data is on sale and I'm looking for something to play with my bro who inherited my WMR, is it fun playing co-op?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Does that Walking Dead game everyone is raving about have any jump scares? I'm vaguely interested in trying it but I'm too much of a pussy to play anything with jump scares in it.

From what I've seen it isn't a "jump" scare kinda game, but there are absolutely sudden frights when navigating houses by flashlight and turning around cramped hallways. And I've seen more than one person scan their surroundings before doing some inventory management, and then being attacked by a zombie from behind. This will spin your camera 180° to face the attacker which is by design (so you know why your dying) but it can be pretty jarring to be looking in your backpack and then it's nothing but a face full of zombie.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Does anyone here use the vive tracking pucks? I'm wondering if I can get away with one for blade and sorcery 🤔

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

And though I've only played it once, there is a rudimentary dungeon map/mod for blade and sorcery that seems popular.

The Star Wars mods have been REALLY fun to play with, despite the AI being dumb as rocks and it being generally very easy to kill someone with a lightsaber. If you want to feel like you're having a lightsaber duel with a blade and sorcery AI opponent, you're gonna be doing a lot of theatrical moves and not actually trying to win, because if you even swipe lazily with a lightsaber while not paying attention you will have killed your opponent and probably the other three characters crowding around them 🤔

And thanks for the info re: the vive trackers - I had the opportunity to buy for for relatively cheap but I don't think I can justify the expense on two full priced ones to complete the set.

Has anyone used vive trackers for anything else? I've seen people use them for beat saber wands, you just stick them on the end of some handles and you're off to the races with something a bit easier to grip than a vive wand. Dunno if it's worth it but I do rag on the vive wands from time to time

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

If people haven't tried mods in blade and sorcery, weapons like the gravity hammer/lightsabers are legitimately wondrous to dump onto new-ish VR users. My sister is well versed in beat saber so asked her if she wanted to try a medieval combat game.

Once my sister found the "slow-mo" button she was cackling like the poster above. Once I opened Pandora's box and gave her unlimited slow-mo and showed her all of the dumbfun mod weapons she was cackling AND golf-swinging NPC's into cliff faces at 400 mph

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Rift S apparently will need an adapter stuck on the front, because the Quest uses all four of its sensors to make hand-tracking work.

edit: I bought myself a decent electronics-opening screwdriver set to open up my defective Vive Wand with... only to realize the screws on the base of the controller near the charging port are in deep little recesses that I'll need a dedicated Torx T5 screwdriver to get at :rant:.

Actually while I've got this thing open, anyone got a good guide for fixing the trackpad? It still mostly clicks okay for the most part, but while I'm gutting this thing open I may as well.

literally did this yesterday. my left vive wand's 12 to 3 o'clock was mushy so I had to buy a master craft cell phone repair kit, because my brother had my iFixit kit 😔 there are two or three YouTube videos I cross referenced but it wasn't too hard. This was the shortest video with the best description but I used the trick from this video to actually remedy the mushy trackpad. I ended up using a small piece of pamphlet paper I had laying around because it's a slightly thicker stock than normal paper. The tiny, thin rubber nib that seems to be the problem with a lot of people's mushy touchpads was seated fine in my controller, so I cut the correct shape (shape: very tiny circle) and layed it on top of the nib and closed it up trackpad facing down. Once assembled they both click perfectly.

There's also a video where a woman is fixing her wand and it's obvious they don't do YouTube because it's like 20 minutes, no cuts, and she berates her boyfriend's ability to hold the camera a bunch 🤣 it's actually refreshing how real it is, like finding YouTube recipes uploaded by a Nanna and the person filming is their grandkids or something

makes me want a Joe Pera VR Experience :thunk:

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 9, 2020

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

mkultra419 posted:

Anyone with Boneworks try it with the original Vive wands? Or is it strictly Index/Knuckles only for the controller?

The stick drift issues I've read about (and more honestly the fact that they've been backordered for months) have kept me from upgrading when HL:Alyx got me looking into them. The Tested guys seemed to not have too many problems with playing it with the original wands though.

I've beaten Boneworks using the vive wands. Gripping was annoying at first but you kinda get used to it. It does something a bunch of other VR games have done, where the "Thumb Grip" is using the touchpad - not actually pressing it, but resting your thumb on the touchpad. It's annoying because you'll have a pretty hard grasp on the sides and the trigger, but if you want your avatar to close his drat fist entirely for some reason (nothing as far as I can tell requires you have the thumb down for gripping objects), you'll have to use a feather touch with your thumb, because actually pressing down on the trackpad is your movement (left hand) and right hand for inventory and other things.

Other than using the touchpad being annoying for movement, I didn't really have a problem playing the game with the wands. You say you're wary of the stick drift on the knuckles but I think most of those issues were overblown? I can definitely say without a doubt that playing with a sticks would be 1000% better

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

treat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS4ObGbbGTA

Eric Chahi came so close to bringing the God game back from the dead with From Dust. Paper Beasts not only appears to have all that water splooshing and sand pushing you love to see, this time he might just be bringing the rest of that stuff everyone wanted from that game he made nearly a full decade ago, jesus christ. Even if he doesn't, it's still a place I want to go. Where else can I sculpt a little forest landscape or pond or rock garden with my bare hands in VR? The dude probably has no more than one or two games left in him at the glacial pace he gets poo poo out, and here comes Sony trying to hog that hot mud puddle action all to themselves. It's shameful. Chahi needs to pack his scrawny rear end up and bring it over to itch.io where he belongs.

Hot diggity loving drat, I made a post about wanting a VR version of From Dust like a week ago.

I'm gonna have to google, but if this is a PSVR exclusive, I'm hosed

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

What program is everyone using to watch their desktop/youtube/netflix/video files while playing a game? I'm using SteamVR for the most part.

Also I've been using the YUR Fitness app and it's nice to be able to track my playtime and estimated calories burned, in addition to using my smart watch to grab my heart rate. I literally only just integrated it into Google Fit so I don't know if my past workouts will migrate over but the YUR website is spartan but usable anyway.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Samsung odyssey issues?

I hate to say it but that's what was happening to my HP WMR headset before I had it replaced. It worked fine for a month and then would stop functioning after a minute of being plugged in and working normally. Troubleshooting it drove me nuts before I just went back to the store and swapped it out (was in the month return period)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I found I really had to go into Windlands options menu and tweak the swing physics to my liking, and there are a ton of variables to change.

Still spent 10x more time in Jet Island

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

The Walrus posted:

yes but not for the environment unless you've always want to explore an upscaled sega saturn quality landscape. it's good for the movement and being the closest thing to Being Spiderman (if spiderman wasn't in a city and had a hoverboard)

as someone who grew up with Short Circutz playing late at night while I fought to stay awake, these weird 3D animated shorts would stretch themselves from my waking life and blanket over my dreams

and I watched a lot of Reboot, Beasties, and Shadow Raiders too. So I don't really mind the 90's digital void that Jet Island fits into. You can also put on your own music to really get into the 90's vibe

something like the RAMA soundtrack or Visions of the Past would be good

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gonna build a ramsomware virus that replaces your Margot Robbie or anime waifu with Quark till you send me some bit coins.

make it Odo, then the switcheroo is canon.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I thought S&S was just boring and "gamey" but not even in a good way.

want to elaborate? I've heard nothing but good things and I want to hear more differing opinions.

I'm assuming based on your post it's like Asgard's Wrath, in that it has all of the mechanics of a flat screen game, but the VR dressing is handled fairly well?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I played about an hour and a half of the Doom 3 BFG VR mod and it's pretty fantastic. Using look aim for the terminals is kind of annoying, and so is standing around for the cut-scenes, but it feels like it's within punching distance of being an actual VR remaster. It's incredibly easy to setup, I would definitely scope it out if you want to pad out your VR library

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

I could have sworn that Sprint Vector had a community night planned for every Saturday at a specific time, to kind of shore up some of the players interested in multiplayer, but from my phone I couldn't find anything regarding that on their steam community / updates page.. could've sworn it IS a thing, though

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it might be that im swinging it differently than i think i am, maybe ill stick the controllers on this big rear end stupid club i own and see if that does anything, heheheh

do you have the same problems in Blade and Sorcery and/or Boneworks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Just don't buy the game, Five Nights VR was a bridge too far for me but I'm down to clown with spooky scary poo poo in VR. There are moooore than enough colourful, bright, and spritely VR games!

And if we don't have devs pushing and pulling at the normal flatscreen genre conventions to figure out what works best with the medium so they aren't just mindlessly translating flatscreen game mechanics we'll be better off