Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is probably going to sound very whiny but I wish the Oculus Store had regional pricing. Every time I'm looking for something to play I have to decide between buying the native game for the Quest or paying about 30-50% less (if it's not on sale) on Steam and use Virtual Desktop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Are there any guides for benchmarking Virtual Desktop performance for Quest? Want to know what sort of latency I'm getting.

You can see the latency in the streamer app on your pc.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

So how does one play Oculus exclusive games on quest using Virtual Desktop? Do I really need to go VD -> SteamVR -> Revive -> Game?

Yyyup. And Revive has performance issues with some games so it's not a perfect solution.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Chin Strap posted:

Is there a way to show that in game? Like a HUD or something? Or to show a time series of this number? Right now I'm just trying to look out of the bottom of my quest to the second monitor to see how bad it is and that feels like it isn't the way people measure these things.

AFAIK, no. Maybe try asking in the project's discord.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If anyone uses Virtual Desktop, try checking out the 1.7.0 beta with sliced/foveated encoding, the video quality is amazing. It almost looks native!

Chin Strap posted:

So I've had Virtual Desktop on my Quest saying there is an update available in the updates menu for a week, but whenever I click on it it doesn't update.

Is this something to do with sidequest loading on the steamvr forwarding? Will an app not update if it has been modded by sideloading?

Yeah, it's a bug caused by the sideload. It can update when there's a "real" update but you'll need to install the sideloaded apk manually.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Deathlove posted:

Just bought SynthRiders, anyone have any thoughts? I like The Genre, and grow impatient for Audica in my Quest.

It's good. I feel it has more "flow" than Beat Sabers and it has native custom song support https://synthriderz.com/ (just drag to the appropriate folder.)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I really hope they add support for the 1060 because there's no way I'm going to upgrade any time soon :negative:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Nalin posted:

Audio and comfort can be solved a bit with a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap + some 3d printed parts, but it will still be heavier. Plus the Vive DAS is becoming hard to find. Plus it's an extra $110 for the DAS + 3d printed parts.

Eh, use earplugs and tie an usb power bank to the back of the strap and you're 90% there for 1% of the cost of that.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

I think you greatly underestimate just how much of Beat Saber was already getting shipped with massive engineering, marketing, and licensing support from Oculus, and how big the spectre of music industry litigiousness really is.

Third party songs could easily have killed them through no fault of their own so long as the wrong music company felt like crushing them.

I think this is going to be worse for mods since there wasn't much reason for the music industry to sue a small developer versus getting free money from Facebook.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

On the other hand I think the campaign sucks because why does it have levels that actively require you to play bad?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

EbolaIvory posted:

Play a harder difficulty or actually dance.
Synth Riders is more about movement and poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAoxiX0vXpU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

just lol at defending the decision behind not giving you the option to choose the drive when every other installer in the planet manages to do it without any problem.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

In something slightly less dumb to be angry about, my right hand touch controller doesn't vibrate and I can't get a replacement because they refuse to ship to my country. They even block freight forwarders so I'm 100% screwed. :negative:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ok so apparently the Quest is limited to 866Mbps on WiFi according to ggodin (VD dev afaik). I'm getting that according to VD when using 80Hz. People claim to be able to play without problem in WiFi (some even like it more than Link) so there must be some setting or update that I'm missing.

I'm a big Virtual Desktop fan but Link just works (if you can deal with the cable.) I'm not sure you can get more quality from VD (I've heard the colors are nicer in VD due to their encoding process but that's it) and Link is definitely more stable.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

whalestory posted:

My question is, how well does Quest handle SteamVR stuff (e.g. Half life Alyx)?

It just works™

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

People say this every time NVidia announces some shiny new vendor-specific API, and it never happens. For most developers it's just not worth the time to implement a vendor-specific feature that will only benefit a small percentage of their audience, especially since by the time the required hardware has a significant portion of the market there's generally a vendor-agnostic alternative that's 90% as good. How many VR games ever used NVidia's Lens Matched Shading?

DLSS is almost stupid in how much it improves performance in high resolutions, which is VR's highest "cost." I doubt it'll become mandatory for VR, but implementing it would be a free upgrade in visible detail in most cases.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Lemming posted:

Massive disagree with the first half of that sentence and massive agree with the second. It's definitely the most polished and the world with the best environments with the most detail and heart, but I'd argue that it's extremely conservative with the way it handles most VR interactions and that keeps it from being an all around "best." It does some things incredibly well and other things thoroughly mediocrely.

What would be the best VR game for you? Please don't say Beat Saber.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Oculus Quest, even the current model, doesn't have a fat $500USD+ asterisk next to its pricetag and offers a full VR experience on its own, plus tethering to PC. PSVR rode on being the cheapest entry point into VR because a shitload of people had PS4's and no competition. The next generation has neither in its favour.

I mean, people are going to buy PS5s with or without VR so the asterisk is not that big for that (incredibly big) market.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not everyone has disposable income to throw around freely anymore due to COVID-19. Not to mention we have no idea of general availability of the PS5 at launch given the way Sony's being weird with talking about preorders.

And while that's getting sorted, out roles the Quest 2 as its own complete experience for a cheaper price point in the (presumably) near future.

I think you're being too optimistic about VR being enough of a draw to get people to buy the Quest 2 over a console with a proven back catalog of games and the promise of exclusives.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I've only played NMS in VR and the UI is really bad, enough to make me bounce from it. I wonder if it works better in flat and it was just a bad conversion.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Penpal posted:

Is there a bounty for jailbreaking the Quest somewhere I can fund or something?

I think that'll only happen if they block sideloading.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How much better is the Quest 2 vs the Quest 1 (for pc stuff more than native)? I have been avoiding the quest since my controller lost vibration but getting a replacement would be annoying enough (oculus doesn't ship here or to post boxes) that getting a quest 2 from amazon would probably be easier if more expensive.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

Am I understanding this correctly in that you have to pay €420 more to be able to resell the headset in the future? The professional edition lists the ability to resell it as a feature.

quote:

Also, you get the license to redistribute the headset in a commercial offering of your own.

I guess personal reselling is fine.

It looks tempting but VR seems to be really hard to get right to just buy sight unseen.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Do you ever stop flailing around in Synth Riders higher difficulty settings?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Do I need vibration for Pistol Whip? One of my controllers doesn't vibrate so I have it disabled for both.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

explosivo posted:

There's a setting to enable a subtle beat via vibration to keep your rhythm that I find helpful but I can't imagine it's necessary

Awesome, I read somewhere that the vibration was needed to keep the beat so I wasn't sure.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Sense of scale in VR is unmatched. There's a ton of moments in video games where you come upon a huge vista or step into an enormous cavern and the character marvels aloud, but it never really hits me. Then you get into VR and crane your neck to see the ceiling or watch the horizon stretch out for miles and go "okay yeah, I get it".

I wish it was easier to get Skyrim VR going with mods because I want to play it mostly because of this but I don't want to waste 10 hours downloading mods and running dyndolod.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

the real problem is the meat and potatoes of Skyrim just isn't that good (excluding archery in VR). The best part about skyrim is wandering around and interacting with the environment in a non-violent way. VRchat has his anyways, is free, has multiplayer and requires no modding

On the con side: has multiplayer

What are some cool worlds to visit?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Black Hole Pool. There was a point where the dev changed the environment and changed radically how the controls worked. It was unplayable to me, I was pissed and wrote a negative review. He did a pretty bad job at replying the review, he basically denied there was an update in the first place, saying maybe I was in a beta. Like uhhh? You are the dev of the game, you should know what are your beta players or if there is a beta in the first place (I'm a regular customer). Denying there was an update was hilarious, because the entire environment changed from a flat to a moody pub. Like, how anyone is going to miss that change.
In any case, I will give him props in one thing: despite his bad handling of PR, weeks later he updated the controls to be usable again so he really took the feedback I gave him. The new environment is very nice, it has AI and multiplayer, the physics are excellent, the graphics are good, it has youtube integrated so you can put whatever music you want, so I can recommend it for :10bux: , if you like pool in RL. The only flaw right now is that the AI at medium difficulty still makes too many penalties.
Still, it's a 'Early Access' game, and I hope the game will get some new features. Like alternative games beyond 8-ball, or a replay feature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7-_4kE5A5Q

How annoying is it to play without holding a physical cue?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

Goddam. I finally start Cyberpunk 2077 and this news comes out: https://uploadvr.com/cyberpunk-vr-mod-coming-january/

Guess I'll wait a little longer before getting into it.

edit: Nevermind, this dude's mods require using the gamepad still. Might as well continue playing it on flatscreen.

Night City is absolutely gorgeous, I'd wait for the mod just to walk through it even if it requires using a gamepad.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I finally got the quest 2 and drat it's incredibly uncomfortable compared to the quest 1.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

NmareBfly posted:

What're some good seated VR showcase things that complete non-gamer parents might enjoy? I saw theBlu recommended and that's about what I mean. Reverb, so no oculus exclusive I'm afraid. Google Earth for sure.

People make fun of PSVR but Ocean Descent was a really good demo and I wish there was something as good for Oculus/PC.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have a model of a building in blender. How hard would it be to walk through it using VR? Would Unity be the best choice?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/rks9x1/the_streaming_update_new_bigscreen_beta_update/

Bigscreen now has proper servers instead of p2p. Better audio/video quality, more people per room, new spatial audio system...

wouldn't that make them responsible for what people stream?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

And the Switch will not replace the 3DS.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Frog Act posted:

Dang - follow up, is there a way to stream a flat view of the game im playing the same way a window shows up on my PC monitor when I’m playing via PCVR? I ask because my girlfriend loves watching me play Resident Evil games and she really wants to be able to

Sidequest can be used to stream your view wirelessly to a PC. (Or you can do it manually using adb and scrcpy, which is what sidequest does)

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

It might be too much to ask but I'd really like a great product from a company that isn't harvesting every grain of data they can get, with or without my permission.

fingers crossed for whatever Steam does after the Steam Deck

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Reek posted:

How is it playing with headphones? Cool or too cut off from your surroundings?

I want to try my pc headhpones but the cable is like 10 feet long, I would need to find a small mini 2.5 to 3.5mm cable or use just a regular old pair and get a small 3.5mm cable

I use the headphones that came with the PSVR and they work fine. I have no idea how loud the quest gets so I prefer avoiding annoying my neighbors with my bad music.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I would probably wait for those titles to manifest given the first gen of Sony VR

Yeah, really.
I have the PSVR and it was a great way to get me to buy the quest but that's mostly it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

Are people really using their VR headsets to watch 2D video content cinema style? I hadn't thought about it much but tried it once or twice and then realised I'd much rather just watch it comfortably on my TV while laid down on my sofa, as usual, instead of having to gently caress about with a thing strapped to my head.

What I like about going to the cinema is that there's the movie and nothing else, no distractions, no cellphone, just overwhelming sound and a screen that fills my vision. I watched Matrix 4 on my quest 2 and it was a really good approximation to that experience, other than the pain of wearing the quest for three hours, with the advantage of no people and no covid.