Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Hello fellow ivory tower owners. I'm considering upgrading from an original HTC VIVE to a Quest 2 because I want to be able to play VR without having to jack into the matrix with wires every time. However, with the in-helmet tracking I am concerned that previous issues with controllers being lost to the void when your body briefly blocks the base stations (here being your facestations) will be a problem. Is this something that is a concern with the Quest, or is it basically fine so long as you don't hold your hand behind your back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the help on the controllers, that is helpful. One more thing, I don't want this thing posting poo poo on my Facebook, is that easy to turn off?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for the help all, I ended up getting a Quest 2 after work. This thing is space age compared to the Vive.

I was having huge performance issues with games being played off Steam, I couldn't figure it out. Then i realized the resolution was still cranked to 500% from my old headset so my Quest was trying to render like 9000x9000

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh, the Meta showcase will be on 04/20. Someone funnier than me should make a joke about drugs and VR.
The future livestream:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qPfI_azgDY

The joke about being on drugs and doing VR is getting stoned and going "I am going to intentionally create a bad headspace"

I've had some fun playing beat Saber while high but playing a shooter where you turn around and suddenly see a zombie chomping on your shoulder is a real bad time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Vaguely related to HL2 VR, something that occurred to me a while back: I've played most of the big VR shooters now, but so far none of them really managed to implement recoil of automatic weapons well. Nearly all of them go with the old shooter standard of having the gun climb up, and that just doesn't quite feel right. It works on flat games because there your control inputs are all relative to your current aimpoint and you can just pull them down to compensate. But with motion controls your input is absolute, and trying to compensate for recoil this way leads to you having to aim away from the thing you're trying to shoot, which just feels off. Really, the best/least distracting approach I've played so far was Payday 2, which just goes "lmao what's recoil?" and abstracts the whole thing just through bullet dispersion without touching your point of aim.

In fairness, there might just not be a good solution to this, at least not until controllers with force feedback or much more powerful vibrations happen.

Lol if you aren't snapping your wrist back every time you pull the trigger on your controller like a six year old playing soldier with a branch he found on the ground. Come on put a little effort in

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lemming posted:

Nobody has any new ideas for how to make fun VR games

Honestly I don't think even necessarily need "new" ideas for games for the market to expand. There is plenty of space to grow within the current sets of game ideas if the developers were to sand down more of the jank involved with VR gaming. Even your most bog standard military shooter could use a lot more polish in terms of ease of use and movement detection. And where is my Hunt: Showdown style western monster shooter, developers?

It's just that "smoother detection and aiming" doesn't sell well on marketing copy so you get stupid poo poo like Medal Of Honor VR The Documentary that has all these gimmicks slapped on that don't add anything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lemming posted:

I really couldn't disagree with this more; VR is an entirely new medium, and continuing to try to play by the rules of a different medium (flatscreen games) puts a really, really low ceiling on how good VR games can be. I don't want to imply that I think all flatscreen-style games are entirely bad, because I don't think that's true, but I don't think they are, by and large, anywhere near as good as games could be if they were designed from the ground up for VR with thinking geared towards making things for VR

In more concrete terms, I think this means more things building the world as a plausible, alternate reality instead of as A Videogame (no floating menus, no laser pointers, UI that is grounded in the world you're actually in, no loading screens, etc), embodied locomotion (so no random stick or teleportation, the movement should be based in the movement of your body, and the more direct the better), and building everything into the world directly (including things like audio tracks and sounds). I think approaching basically anything in this manner makes VR games instantly way better, and then it's kind of a virtuous cycle in that it gives you more ideas about how to build things that would be even cooler in VR

I mean yes, it would be better if we could get more creative things, but A) that's largely going to be feature tested in the indie market that isn't going to get a big announcement video and B) more my point is that having recycled ideas isn't the death knell of the medium. The same thing happened in the 2000s where we were just pumping out the same games over and over and it ended up just being a phase, like most phases in gaming history. Good ideas get recycled to death and in the process grows the technical abilities and install base, and then indie game concepts fill in the gaps in imagination. After all, we wouldn't even have the advanced Unreal engine without these kinds of recycled games.

Yeah a AAA full alternate reality game would be cool but that kind of thing isn't going to be something more than just "what if VR Chat was open world" until you can interact with the world without having to swing your arms around like there is fly paper glued to your palm when the game mechanics gently caress up.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 20, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Boneworks and Duck Season are good games but I could really do with less "if you want to experience the full game make sure you watch sixteen theory crafting YouTube videos and do the secret puzzles that were sussed out by their fan bases where if you set the left oven dial to 3, max, min, 2, 4 then you unlock the real ending" games in general. Duck season had a lot of that and I hear that Boneworks does too with its live action stuff

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Boneworks is the shooting and box stacking puzzles of Half Life 2, pretty good!

The story is a creepypasta the devs probably got off reddit, less good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Protocol7 posted:

This is my take on it. As far as story, puzzles, and shooting go, there are individual games that all do it better IMO too. It being a blend of those things doesn't necessarily make it stand out.

At this point the game is a couple years old and it was generally highly recommended (before Alyx came out and blew it out of the water) because while it was fairly limited in mechanics for what it said it was going to be, all the mechanics that were in the game worked pretty well. It was one of the first big name games that did the hand over hand climbing well, guns were restricted to ones that could work without being too janky, and the puzzles didn't require too many weird movements. It was less of a benchmark in innovation and more "we made the ideas work as well as they could" imo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Imo the biggest issue with Pavlov is the same issue that all two hander gun games have where the guns are too long and the lack of a physical rifle makes looking down sights a pain in the rear end. I've considered getting a piece of wood and putting hand holds in it to mimick a gun with the sensors but other than that I find myself having to lock my left arm just to pull the guns away from my body enough to aim unless I have my right hand buried in my armpit.

When i hold a real rifle I don't hold it by the muzzle, it should be halfway up the barrel. But these shooters like to pin your hand up near the front and its uncomfortable.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 21, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I went and sprang for one of those tubes, and I gotta say it made all shooters feel way more natural and immersive. Before, it constantly felt like I was fighting the controls more than the opponents, and actually hitting anything was more a matter of accident than design. But with that thing it actually feels like I'm aiming at things with purpose and hitting them intentionally.

But then again, they really are dummy expensive for what's really just a couple of tubes and some 3D-printed holders.

Jesus christ $216 usd for that?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Throwing things feels like poo poo in VR but I seem to be weirdly good at it? Maybe it's years of Wii game training but I can probably hit a target with a thrown object with a flick toss 9 times out if 10.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Whoa I just heard about Viveport. It's basically Game Pass for VR. The selection isn't great but it's totally worth it for a month at least.

This is news to me and honestly something that is really needed. VR games are *so expensive* and I usually won't even try a game unless it comes recommend or it looks incredible. Something like this is great.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It looks like it has some pretty solid titles, Cooking Simulator, After the Fall, some puzzle room games, Ultrawings, not a huge number but good for a couple months I would think.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not sure how Vader was but if you are having locomotion issues in an interior environment then going to an outdoor map instead can help. Being away from walls while you move can help by removing a close point of reference for how fast you're going. I had that issue with Onward where I was totally fine on the larger map but as soon as I went indoors it was puke city, especially when you are looking any direction other than straight ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

If you don't already have a FB account then there really isn't anything stopping you from setting one up and just leaving it completely blank. Or you can use a fake name, which Quest says is against TOS but how are they going to know