Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I just an Index as my first VR setup, and I've been a little disappointed in the clarity. I've spent a lot of time adjusting and readjusting the ipd, straps, and lense position and found a decent setting, but text is sometime difficult to read in the popup menus because the letters bleed a bit. I figured the lense was smudged so I wiped it down with a micro fiber but that doesn't seemed to have helped. Things are just a little fuzzy and the colors are a little muted, and the overall visual fidelity is significantly lower than playing on a normal 1080p monitor. Am I just expecting too much from this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Carmant posted:

drat people weren't kidding when they said Superhot was the best VR experience. Also having a gun pointed at you in VR is legit terrifying.

I just got it a few days ago; it was definitely the moment that my time with VR went from "awesome" to "This is what I dreamed of as a kid"

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Can anyone with Index controllers walk me through adjusting the little metal arm at the top of the strap? I watched the official video and it looks like it just glides up and down but mine are jammed on one setting and I've applied all the force I feel comfortable with. I thought maybe I should press down on it a little while I slide it, but no luck.

Never mind I figured it out literally 10 seconds after posting this, having tried to figure it out for all 3 weeks of owning an Index. Fuckin' figures.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Is there anything like HH&H but a bit more polished or fleshed out in actual game modes? I adore it as a gun playground and enjoy creating my own battles but having that same gun playground with a decent base defense mode or larger scale/outdoor battle mode would be a total blast. Open to multiplayer but at least having a single player option would be nice.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

How moddable/stable is Skyrim VR? I wanted to try it out but I haven't played unmodded skyrim in years and don't think I could go back to it. Plus I'm imagining that 2011 era "realistic" textures don't look great in VR

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Something that really helped me get comfortable with stick movement in VR was the ski-type waving arms up and down locomotion in H3, it was a great halfway point from teleporting.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

It's oddly comforting that 9 years later I'm still trying to optimize Skyrim to make it as pretty as possible, a process I thought I had completed with out-the rear end ENBs and texture mods last year. Now I'm back down to 90 FPS with minimal mods in Skyrim VR. You never catch the dragon, I guess.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I think I'm actually losing weight playing Skyrim VR and walking in place while moving/jogging in place while sprinting. I've always wanted to play Requiem in VR and goddamn is it everything I've dreamed of, despite the general laziness of the Skyrim VR port.

One of my chargers for my Index controllers broke after only two months. Not a big deal since they're generic USB-Cs, but still disappointing.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

The Waking Dead: Saints & Sinners is the most groundbreaking VR game so far :reject:

In that it's a Walking Dead licensed game yet it's good?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

Yes. But also because of it's use of physics-based near field interactions (weapons, climbing etc) and one of the best implementations of stick based locomotion in existence mixed with a reactive world with branching paths based on actions the player takes. It's one of the first VR immersive sims and just like System Shock it'll be overlooked for about a decade until people realize it's impact.

Very true. While I don't understand all the terms you used, it's a great immersive sim even without the VR qualifier, and really nailed locomotion that feels natural and doesn't make me puke-y

Immersive sims in general seem like a natural fit for VR, I hope they take off a bit more.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I honestly hated the Jeff section and it made me put the game down for a few days.

I would love to have more combine and ant-lion shooting and less Jeff! But I know I'm a weenie with horror compared to most.

Agreed, I'm a bit of a horror wimp and Alyx seemed to lean much more into it than other half life titles (episode one notwithstanding)

SCheeseman posted:

Near field interactions in VR are (broadly) hand-based interactions, which are usually abstracted out in flatscreen games as button presses or minigames. Turning the radio dial, fixing the water pumps, the notebook, flashlight and the way weapons feel and gun reloads work take advantage of VR motion controls in satisfying way.

Ah, I get it. Yeah, WD did a fantastic job of that. When I play skyrim VR now I really miss the interactively of looting by opening individual drawers, having items actually exist in a physical space before I pick them up, opening doors, adjusting knobs, it's all very immersive and well done.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Gangringo posted:

I just moved, and I actually have the 13.5'x13.5' maximum usable area for my index. What is a good game that actually encourages moving around on foot rather than using controls?

Edit: additionally, is there any way to save multiple boundary settings so I can have a tighter set of boundaries when I can't be assed to move my exercise bike and some other stuff?

I think that Superhot VR improves the more space you have. Walking around areas in Half-Life Alyx is also very engaging to me.

I haven't found a way to save play area profiles, but recalibrating takes like 3 minutes so *shrug*

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

TOP FIVE SCARIEST THINGS IN SKYRIM VR

5. Surprise Wolf
4. Surprise Sabercat
3. Surprise Frostbite Spider
2. Surprise Dragon
1. Swinging Log Trap

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Lmao I got on the wait list in early July and didn't get mine until October

I know your pain, and it suuuucks

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

So 2 or more weeks means months for an index? Recently got on the list and it went from 3+ to 2+.

Nah, mine said 4+ weeks until partway through September; I don't think they're nearly as behind as they were this summer.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

zoux posted:

What do you guys think the consumer-level solution for "walking around in VR with your feet" is going to be?

All VR becomes wireless and all game environments are procedurally generated to fit your actual surroundings, AR style.

Trespassing violations will skyrocket as gamers break into their neighbor's homes to collect upgrades

Eventually all concept of private property will break down as the entire world becomes one huge VR game

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Synonymous posted:

Killer in that the checkpoints are spaced so far apart that after repeating an entire level for like the twentieth time because you fudged a throw in the fifth "sequence" the murder becomes real :ghost:

It's a testament to how good Superhot VR is as a game and as a concept that it's still so widely praised in spite of the developer's worst compulsions. See: Having to commit suicide three times to even complete the story.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Yesterday I got Thrill of the Fight and today I can't lift my right arm above shoulder height

10/10 will play again after a day or two of recovery

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Cael posted:

My legs are jelly from a week of playing Superhot and Pistol whips and doing full on squats to avoid bullets. I need to take a few days off but it's actually a legitimately good workout and I need to incorporate it into my regular exercise just to mix things up.

What did my legs in was Skyrim VR stealth archer with immersive sneaking on. Basically just one long squat :negative:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Glagha posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but this is a big thread. I need opinions on Pavlov vs. Onward. I recall one of them being the more popular and actively updated one?

Pavlov is definitely the more popular and frequently updated, even if Onward still has merit as a game.

E: Also if you see *~-xxXX*SUBNAUTICA*420*XXxx-~* out in the wild, be sure to wave at me.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 27, 2020

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Lockback posted:

Pavlov is pretty great for this. The first game I played a guy walked up to me and goes "You new?" I nodded and he said "Cool, hold out your gun" I did then he pulled the mag out of my gun and ran away giggling. It was amazing.

I do this to all of my friends when they're new to Pavlov. Middle of a zombie match and I'll stand directly behind them and pull mags.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

So playing VR regularly for the past 6 months has had an unexpected side-effect: I can fly in dreams. Not the disappointing dream flying where you kind of glide, but full on flying around like superman. I think my brain is learning what it's like to suddenly just float upwards and zoom around.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

My left index controller is developing a really loose control stick, to the point that I occasionally slowly walk backward in Pavlov if my thumb is off the stick. Had it for 10 months, is that eligible under the Index warranty? Is the RMA process alright?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Hommando posted:

My left index controller had the same problem and the warranty had long since expired but Valve replaced it for free. I also have a +10 year old Steam account with thousands of dollars in purchases, so your mileage may vary. The RMA process isn't too bad but they will make you go through a checklist of things to do to ensure it's a hardware problem and not a settings problem. Once they confirmed my stick drift was a hardware issue they sent a replacement controller prior to me mailing my old one back.

Well my Steam account is worth more than my car and it's old enough to drive it, too, so if that's a factor I suspect I'll be treated well. Thanks!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I use twinstick movement, but is it really faster than the fastest twinstick speed?

It's like if superman was really into cross-country skiing, very fun (and vomit inducing, if you're not used to speed)

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

I think so? But I can never tell after I pick bindings from the Steam menu if they're actually applied correctly or not. I've poked around in the mod's INI files and changed a few settings like turning off the holsters and adding the VRIK settings menu to MCM, and I'll see if I can do something like adjust the grip sensitivity from there.

Basically I want to be able to just close my fingers like a fist to holster/unholster and use my shouts and abilities. I want it to work like it did with the Touch controllers, but without having to death grip the Index controller.

I've had a lot of trouble with Index grips in general, like letting go of guns in Pavlov, accidentally engaging the grip in countless games, and even in your exact situation with VRIK. I try my best not to use them at all on anything that's remotely fiddly.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Can anyone with an Index recommend a good method of cleaning the lenses? I've been using dry, clean microfiber clothes but my vision is still a little smudgy compared to how it used to be.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Steam support is asking me to upload a youtube video of the drift on my index controller before they'll replace it

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

As an Index owner who's played with a Q2... the Q2 is so much more bang for your buck, like I'm really surprised how much VR goodness they fit into it for its price point. I love my Index but you pay out the nose for every perk and I don't think anyone stands to gain a whole lot by "upgrading" from a Q2, if that what you already have. Especially if all you plan on doing is playing games.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I'm getting a really annoying tracking glitch in Pavlov VR on my Index. Sometimes when I'm holding a two handed weapon and bring it up to fire my right hand tracking goes nuts, jerking left and right or way out in one direction. Doesn't matter how my base stations are set up, doesn't matter what weapon aside from being a two handed. I get perfect tracking in every other game and even in Pavlov right up until I try to hold a rifle steady with my eyes down the sight. Driving me up a drat wall!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

EbolaIvory posted:

Disable bluetooth management in steamvr and see if that helps.

Odd i know. But its possible.

Interesting, I'll give that a try

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I must be bad at Pavlov because after 300 hours I only just got my first instance of someone accusing me of hacking. He did go all the way, though, spamming my steam profile with taunts and submitting actual footage of my hacking to steam (he's a failed YouTuber, of course).

Been a week and no permaban, though :shrug:

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

New Pavlov achievement: getting banned from two servers in one night for "aim botting"

You just gotta point at the bad guys and pull the trigger, I don't see what the problem is.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I really want to host a pavlov server but I fear the game is actually dying

I think you could run a successful server, I just think it would depend on what game type you'd focus on. The player pop doesn't seem to be falling by my observation but I also don't know what the developers are even working on at this point.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I'm having a really frustrating problem with controller/headset tracking on my Index ever since I rearranged my living room and moved my VR space. Regardless of what I'm playing, if I bring one of my controllers near to my face/headset the controller will start jittering around, or will suddenly stretch 3 feet off to the side, or my headset view will suddenly jolt up or down for a few frames. Sometimes when this happens the tracking on the affected controller will even misalign and be permanently stuck six inches beyond my actual hand. This isn't a big deal for a lot of games, but it makes iron-sighting a rifle a risky action and it's grinding my Into the Radius playthrough to a halt. Worse yet is that I'm suddenly having to redo the room setup every day because without that upkeep the headset will jitter/grey screen every 30 seconds or so or the floor will be half a foot too high.

I don't get it. I have three base stations, but I'm getting worse results than back when I had two of them at odd angles. Maybe they're set up too close to me, now? Maybe something in my environment is doing it?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

One of the base stations is now pointed towards a wall sized mirror approximately 20 feet away, I guess that's within range, right? I don't have a way of covering it, though.

I've moved two of the base stations to be higher and slightly further away, and drawn the curtains on the patio door. Going to see if that helps.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Thanks for the tips RE: Index tracking. It's doing a lot better now, so I think the patio door/base stations being too close were the culprits. Pulled off some honest to God sniping in Into the Radius, which has not been a viable option until now.

Does anyone else play COMPOUND exclusively in extra arms mode? I feel like having to grab items and reload weapons myself drags down the fast pace of the game.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Into the Radius is seemingly addressing the last remaining problems I had with the game, namely sprucing up the home base, improving enemy AI, and fixing the bug that turns off all flashlights on load.

For all it's jank, ITR continues to be the most compelling and enduring game in my VR library.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Do they cut every 1/2 second because it keeps falling off?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

DoubleT2172 posted:

You should play it, it is one of my top 3 VR games

My #1 VR game, and it's not even close. I evangelize about ITR to everyone who will listen.

I'm now sold on the stalker mod. How are the AI changes in 2.6? Is the home base improved somehow? The patch notes are rather vague.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

forest spirit posted:

Risk of Rain 2 VR mod (free) is one of my favourite VR games period. It being a roguelite means the time investment is whatever energy you want to give it. A couple of mod added characters have V support, as well. Playing as bandit rules

An utterly perfect mod, it translates insanely well

Definitely use the config file manipulation to unlock all the characters though