Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
Just copped a Quest 2 and it won't be here until next week. Looks like steam's holiday sale is till tomorrow, though. Quick, which games that are on sale should I grab?

I've never actually refunded anything before, but I guess I could do that if some of them are lame.

edit: I wish Beat Saber was, that's a no brainer.

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Ended up going ham last night and getting a ton of poo poo at like 40-50% off. Some obvious ones like Alyx, KTANE, Superhot, and Moss, but also a few others like The Room, Carly & The Reaperman, The Morrigan, and both Pixel Ripped's.

I'd been on the fence about the Quest for months on account of Facebook and not wanting to support evil and such. This may be the lamest ever but I think the thing that actually tipped me into actually buying one was EmuVR. I just wanna decorate my 90s room :D :(

And hey, sounds like I can refund them all if the thing never shows up!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Where did you get it?

Best Buy shipped, probably thanks to a wario64 tweet.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

emuVR is the absolute best. Its such an enjoyable romp to disappear into. The little unnecessary details are so much fun, like having to plug in the consoles, or being able to make parts of textures emissive so they glow green like glow in the dark stickers/paint. lol, and it looks wonderful, things like candles and other tv's light up the area in a convincing way, and theres even an RGB pattern on the tv if you lean in close enough. Turn the lights out, set it to night time, and the glow of the virtual CRT can really take you back. They just had a huge netplay addition where people can now come over to your room and you can play together, and it looks pretty incredibly well done, the developer has a real commitment to this project.

Got into the beta, gonna try to get it configured before the gadget shows up.

Love/hate this:

emuvr faq posted:

Frequently Requested Features

Ambient Audio
* Parents Fighting
* Mom yelling
* Birds / Cars outside
* Customizable via sound files

too relatable, man

StarkRavingMad posted:

You should also check out New Retro Arcade Neon if you haven't. Setup can be kind of a pain but it's pretty dope once you get it all figured out.

This looks sick too but man that looks like a pain to get all the cabs set up properly. Hopefully there's some turnkey scheme out there.

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 8, 2021

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Ok I’m here to ask the same dumb question everybody does: will any of these $30 USB A->C cables that Amazon is throwing at me work for quest link? Is there one in particular that gets the goods?

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

You forgot to put a link?

There's just like a hundred identical looking cables with slightly different costs and specs. Some have a extender thing in the middle, while some contradict themselves with USB 3.0 in the name but 3.2 in the desc. On that point:

Booyah- posted:

I'm mostly curious if there's a difference between a 3.0 and 3.1 rated cable. I've seen people on amazon complaining that the 3.0 cables don't work as well but it could be bullshit.

I have no idea if that matters. I have a single C port on my mobo, is that better than using a C-->A cable? This C-->C seems cheap and long and USB 3.2., maybe that'll work.

I'm hoping that wifi works well enough, but my desktop is already wireless so I'm not sure if using wifi to and from the router is gonna make a big difference, even at 5ghz.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

My quest got here early today but I’ve been too hung over to do anything with it but set it up and do a bunch of configuring.

Luckily I fuckin love configuring :cool:

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Playing Shadowrun on the SNES, or light gun games like Point Blank, while The Crow plays on another tv in the dark and needing to pick up the flashlight to find the play button on the VCR....

I spent some of today finding cart/disc label packs and putting up posters and getting my TMNT sheets on the bed.

EmuVR rules. Hope the guy expands it forever and user content gets added.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Moss is cute as hell goddammit I love that little mouse

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Why not use spoiler tags like everywhere else? Lot of people probably just got headsets, myself included.

yes please, I've been scrolling past posts trying not to get spoiled accidentally.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Still confused about the Fanatical bundle Star Trek Bridge Crew deal. If I buy that, I get a steam key for just the base game and have to pony up another :tenbux: for the TNG DLC, right? I couldn’t give a poo poo about TOS but I got the Enterprise bridge steam home room and now i wanna push buttons in there.

And speaking of covers, is the silicone VRcover the best way to avoid the kind of irritating foam?

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

explosivo posted:

Yep! And I bought the fabric VRcovers and it helps tremendously.

You like the fabric better than the silicone? I find the foam irritating and hot, but I’m not sure if there might be downsides to silicone vs. fabric.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Went ahead and got Star Trek bridge commander and the TNG DLC. Start it with the virtual desktop games menu and it looks great but thinks I have vive wands connected instead of touch controllers. Can’t finish the tutorial because one of the pad direction buttons is missing. Start it with oculus link (cable) and it thinks I have old quest 1 touch controllers but the frame rate is total dogshit, unplayable. In all cases the audio doesn’t pass through to the headset, either.

There’s probably a solution here. Anyone run into this before?

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm not sure with VD, but with link, is the framerate bad because its still at 72hz int he desktop app settings, or like reallllly bad. If its super stuttery check to make sure in the tests that it shows its recognized as USB 3, and not showing an error or that its only at usb 2. That happened to me and i couldn't figure out why link was running so bad until I realized the connection test was showing it wasn't recognized as usb 3.

Double checked. Device, Oculus app, and SteamVR all say 90hz. Cable test passes, USB3 & 1.3GB/s. I plug the thing in, enable link. Starting SteamVR directly starts Home, which is a 2 FPS nausea inducing horrorshow. But somehow starting the game a way I've already tried, through the VD Games menu, caused it to skip SteamVR entirely this time and recognize the old school touch controls, which is good enough. It's still like slightly low fps, esp when moving my head...can't know exactly because fpsVR isn't running. But it's completely playable, and being on the bridge of the ships is pretty cool!

I tried a solo AI mission and was doing ok bouncing around until I took enough damage that all the textures on the bridge disappeared and turned completely white. Apparently this is a longstanding bug, so I guess there's that to watch out for too. But I can see how this would be real fun with friends.

edit: Has SteamVR Home ever worked for anybody on a quest2 with Virtual Desktop? Every time I've ever seen it it's been literally 2fps (fpsVR is running) and I've gotta bail. Games work mostly fine. I've not gotten into messing with the supersampling percentages or anything like that yet, just gone with 90hz & 100%, whatever it decides. Is there a guide to optimizing? Is it more just fiddling per game? I'm running on a 2060RTX Super, fwiw.

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 7, 2021

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Lockback posted:

I haven't had any issue with Steam Home with A Q2.

huh, interesting. I'm remembering messing around with the Home environments at some point when I first got this thing, so it might be an order of operations kind of thing. Pretty jarring to hit it when SteamVR quits out of a game but not itself and I'm suddenly jerkin around and trying to rip the thing off my head, hah.

prom candy posted:

Cool, thanks I'll grab these

Yeah thanks for the rec, gonna pick up these and one of those vrcover.com silicone covers. I've needed a new eye prescription for ages but as soon as I get one I'll probably spring for the vroptician lenses, too. Swear to god I spend more time tweaking this thing, or reading about it and games and accessories than I ever actually spend playing games, oops

edit:

Nice. Did you load this up with sidequest? Looks like it needs a reboot to turn on and off but might be great for at least spot checking problematic games that SteamVR doesn't play nicely with. Thanks!

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 7, 2021

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

yikes, are the VR Cover silicone covers really worth the $14 plus another $7 shipping? It's possible I'm spoiled w/r/t shipping costs but an extra 50% seems excessive given all the ones on Amazon.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Lockback posted:

So your PC would be connected to a router wirelessly, and you'd be connected to the same router wirelessly? Distance doesn't matter but the data stream will be making 2 hops (You/Router/PC) in each direction, that going to cause some ugly latency and other issues.

This is exactly what I do and it works great. Quality router in living room, PC a couple rooms away connecting over 5G wireless, quest 2 connecting to PC with virtual desktop at max settings. If you’re taking different floors or w/e then YMMV but it works fine for me.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

I just got an eye exam for the first time in like 2 years so I was all ready to pull the trigger on some vroptician lenses. My eyes are dogshit however (like -8.5/-9, both cyl at -3.75) and the lenses cost a cool $169. I still wanna get em, but before I do, are there any other places I should shop around at before I pull the trigger with vroptician?

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Problem is that the lenses themselves are pretty expensive, since they gotta be high index to be reasonably thin. If I had to guess, I'd predict that the zenni route might end up being cheaper, but possibly a worse overall lens. But it doesn't seem like basically just the lenses should be quite that expensive, so I guess I was wondering if they had any legit competitors in that space or if vroptician is really the only game in town.

edit: ^^^^ oooh, that's an interesting development

kaptainkaffeine fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

OgNar posted:

Gave Table of Tales a try.
Enjoyable so far and only $15 on the steam sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030310/Table_of_Tales_The_Crooked_Crown/

Picked up this one, Walkabout and the DLC, and Phasmaphobia. I better figure out what’s with all the drat stuttering that keeps me from wanting to put the Quest 2 on already :/

It’s not even real bad, just low frame rates and occasional “black borders while I turn my head while rendering catches up” while neither the GPU (2060 Super) or the cpu (3 something ryzen) aren’t doing all the work they could be doing. There’s so much to fiddle with it’s overwhelming—this is wireless with VD & steamvr. Dropping back down to 72hz seemed to help, but it’s just off enough feeling that it gives me a headache pretty quick.