Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Hello, thread, I have a question that I'm having difficulty getting a straight answer on: I have a Vive set-up with the Index controllers. Can the Quest 2 be used with Steam VR and the Index controllers using the PC link cable without having to use some weird software to jerry-rig the whole thing together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Sent my Quest 2 back yesterday. I bought it primarily so I could work out with Thrill of the Fight in the backyard, but the lighting requirements are so specific that it's just not at all worth it for my situation. Came home from work Friday night, and tried to play it, but it was too dark, even with the flood light, and when I tried to play it again Saturday afternoon, it was too bright outside. Really bummed me out.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I'm really excited for the Vive Pro 2, because I already have the OG Vive ecosystem, complete with wireless adapter and Index controllers. The wireless capabilities were what kept me from upgrading, and I really didn't like the Quest 2. Seeing as how I never even expected a follow up from HTC, this is great news to me.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

EbolaIvory posted:

Careful, Someone will come in soon and tell you its a waste of money because wireless wont be 5k.

Enjoy the massive upgrade man. I cannot imagine going og vive to vive pro 2. Its going to be insane for you.

Yeah, I've never hated the Vive like most of the posters here, and I thought a lot of the criticism was completely overblown. The increase in visual fidelity will certainly be nice, but I've never felt like I absolutely needed to upgrade. The main thing I wanted was a higher FOV and slightly sharper visuals. Everything else is just bonus.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, just make a throwaway and use an email account you don't care about. I created one with a fake name and have added nothing to it.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

KillHour posted:

It's an apple device, so it almost certainly won't just plug into a PC and play steam games or whatever. That alone kills it for me.

Same, I'm guessing it's going to work within their walled-garden ecosystem and that's it.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Hey everyone, sorry to post about VR in the proletarian-LASIK thread, but I wanted to share my experience with the Quest 3 so far. After some consideration, I decided to pick one up, going from a Quest 2 which I only use for Steam VR, and without even mentioning the new graphical fidelity and lenses, the thing is lightyears ahead of the 2 simply for all of the quality of life improvements. Set up is infinitely easier now that you can see flat screens with passthrough, and I thought to myself "Wait, is there anything stopping me from creating a space in the backyard?" It loving worked! After experimenting, I decided to go from the fixed 200 mbps airlink rate to the variable rate capped at 200, and just after the initial testing with a couple quickly drawn, but large boundaries, I had very little issues, and tonight I'm going to see just how big I can make the boundary before it becomes unusable.

I was able to walk around entire rooms in Pavlov without even having to use the sticks, and could literally run at people. Not having to worry about running into a wall and being able to naturally move about for the most part is something I've fantasized about since I was a kid watching TNG and The Lawnmower man. I utterly loathe Meta, but I have to give it props, and honestly, for my own usage, I'm not sure if whatever Valve is doing with Deckard will be enough to convince me to switch, simply for the seamlessness of moving through VR spaces.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

johnny park posted:

Is there no risk of sunlight damage for the quest 3 lenses?

:shrug: It's on my face the entire time I walk in and out of the house, and I cover the unit when charging/not in use, so I'm not entirely worried, and besides, I'm fine risking it being able to play that way to be honest.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

veni veni veni posted:

My take on asgards wrath 1 was that people were so starved for a real game in VR they were wiling to overlook it not being very good. I played through maybe half of it and was mostly bored as hell.

But yeah 100% VR reviewers are so positive about almost everything it becomes hard to get an actual read on what’s good. I trust forums posts way over reviews.

That said AR 2 might be great for all I know.

Asgards Wrath 2 looks like a game that would have been a launch title by EA on the Xbox One that everyone forgot about in a month or so. I bought the cheaper Quest 3 and it was still gifted to my account.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
While it has a terrible title, I picked up Grimlord during the Steam VR sale, and have been having fun with it so far, but I recently discovered a new way to play it. I do Muay Thai as a hobby, and always try to discover new ways to implement it into my exercise regiment. Thrill of the Fight didn't work because to keep your hands up your gloves block your view, and I couldn't find a way to make it work, but while playing Grimlord (while high) I wondered for a moment if you could play a "monk", which no, not really, but I found another way to play. You can adjust the angle your character's hands are by default, and by cranking both hands up to max, you can hold a sword and shield in a Muay Thai stance, and shadow box your way through the game. Hooks, jabs, straights, and uppercuts are all viable to use in game, and even blocking works great!

The game already had a bit of a cardio workout going for it, but after playing an evening this way, I was really sweating, but had a fantastic time and didn't want to stop, and I'm excited about my extremely specific, weird game mechanic.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I've never heard of an anti-fatigue mat, how do they work?

Pretty sure they're those rubber mats for jobs requiring you to stand long hours.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Yeah, the only reason I bought a Quest 3 is for Steam VR, and because I know that Meta sells the headsets at a loss. I've never purchased anything from the store, even for free (Edit: Scratch that, got the Steam Link app), never even launched the built in apps, use throwaway accounts, and I have turned almost every feature in the Quest 3's headset off that might relate to tracking. I know it still takes a bunch of data, so my next home project is to set up a Pi-Hole, which I've been meaning to do anyway, to block any FB/Meta network traffic running to the Quest.

Can ya tell I don't like Zuckerberg?

Duck_King fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 26, 2023

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Bad Munki posted:

Correct: if you imagine that the only way to do a thing is the worst way possible, it’s a bad idea.

How about this: the cooking video is attached to the backsplash above your stove, a place you could never put a display, but you can with MR. And when you turn to work at the sink, it’s behind that also. It migrates to half a dozen preselected locations you do like, without actually having displays there. People already sprinkle tvs through their homes, for better or for worse, but MR could accommodate that with zero actual displays, in places they couldn’t actually exist.

Like, I absolutely abhor the “tv on the mantel” thing, but what if my fireplace itself could just become a display whenever I wanted?

Good examples, I already do something like this when I play VR. I have my Android messages page up in a Chrome browser window, in addition to FB messenger, so if I'm playing a game and my watch buzzes, I can quickly flip to MR with a button, and have a projection of my monitor "beyond" the wall I charge my VR stuff on, and a bluetooth keyboard there. I also have a TV in the room past that, and can effectively juggle two different computers at the same time, one in reality and the other being projected on my vision, in addition to VR and responding to messages.

I'm not one of those dorks that wants to wear VR in McDonalds or even on the couch next to a partner, but I think there is a ton of potential in the MR market for the future.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

explosivo posted:

Whoa, poo poo that's awesome. I actually had no idea there was a mod scene for H3VR, I figured that scenario editor thing was going to be the best we were going to get. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah, going to explore this quite a bit too. I wanted some kind of single player action/zombie experience with the gun handling from H3 grafted onto it, so as long as this isn't super jank I will sink some time into it.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I picked up Underdogs a few days ago, and it is a drat fun game, a good cardio challenge, and I like how I can use it similarly to Thrill of the Fight to practice maintaining a stance and practicing punch combos. Very satisfying to jab a robot coyote in the face and then combo into a right hook at the other robot leaping in the air at you, and I like the roguelike progression elements.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Man, Underdogs is both fun and a crazy good workout.

https://i.imgur.com/SKrbkdh.mp4

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
The session of Underdogs I posted the clip from ended up being insane, as I played for an hour and beat boss 1 and 2, both times losing my right arm. I took a really hot bath with some salts afterwards, because I thought for sure my left shoulder was going to be a mess the next day, but I was fine. I play it as way to practice shadowboxing, and use self imposed rules, basically punching only, no special claws or smashing the ground to make a shockwave or whatever, and hoo lordy was I glad that I practice my jab a lot, and throwing a southpaw straight right into the cockpit of the boss with everything I had left in me and getting the slow-mo victory screen gave me the same rush as beating a ton of enemies in Doom or something similar. Breathing heavily, dripping sweat, but goddamn, I did it.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
I play on a Q3 via Virtual Desktop on a wireless connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Picked up Legendary Tales a couple weeks ago and I'm pretty addicted to it now. The fighting is fun, and it feels like a proper dungeon crawl, and I love the fact that I can pop in and just gather crafting materials, kills some skeletons or whatever, and sell poo poo. Makes me wish my friends had a proper VR set up to play with too.