Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

VR has the worst identity crisis in tech history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A 94/100 on Metacritic for Asgard Wrath 2, pretty good
https://www.metacritic.com/game/asgards-wrath-2/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPY9PqUHYQo

here it's my 25% discount
Asgard Wrath 2 referral

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 15, 2023

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I actually for real cannot believe they made Neko Atsume for the Quest. Incredible.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Huh, if you returned a Quest 3 you still get AW2. Showed up in my game library this morning.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Quest firmware update now supports upper body tracking via the camera inputs, which opens the door to "body direction" steered locomotion instead of just "controller" or "head" choices.

Head direction btw never ever made the tiniest lick of sense to me, the head and eyes are for exploring/looking around, not moving. It's so profoundly unintuitive and alien, I don't get it at all. This is how I imagine Lemming feels about most VR stuff just in general :goleft:

Anyway, some "other" VR news for those interested in such things:

- SimulaVR doesn't seem dead! Curious about them, but with a small team their development pace is not very fast (which puts them at risk of shipping "old" stuff by the time it comes out.) But on the other hand they are aiming at a very particular niche: all-in-one linux computer in a headset that is suitable for using as a virtual desktop. They have clever optics for concentrating maximum pixel density for that purpose. A huge component lead time for displays (because they are not a huge customer) recently got sliced waaaaay down so that's really positive news.

- Somnium space's headset appears to actually be real. Not that I thought it was a scam, just that this is honestly the first time I personally have seen someone actually using it. I always found it hard to tell exactly where it sat on the vaporware<->actual product continuum.

- Lynx headset is shipping (still/again/soon) and every update makes me think my order must be next right around the corner, and one of these days it'll be true. A headset dedicated to being open, but took a long time to come to market and doesn't seem as impressive hardware-wise now right at the end of 2023 as it did back when announced. Heck, an early adopter like me still doesn't have his. Still, nothing quite like it out there. Great product concept, but their special optics company got acquired by Apple (they still have all rights etc to the optics, but it's never great when a supplier changes ownership because even if everything says "nothing changes" on paper tons of poo poo always changes. Your "guy" who knows your project and product now works somewhere else, etc etc) and the company is pivoting to a more commercial/enterprise footing. I can see how their design might work better for training, etc than anything else out there at the moment. One day I'll experience it for myself.

- Immersed's Visor: nothing new to report, but remains a weird mishmash of "it could happen" and "red flags ahoy". Maybe it's just a poorly handled project? Time will tell.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

The Eyes Have It posted:

Head direction btw never ever made the tiniest lick of sense to me, the head and eyes are for exploring/looking around, not moving. It's so profoundly unintuitive and alien, I don't get it at all. This is how I imagine Lemming feels about most VR stuff just in general :goleft:

I don't love head direction, but it's definitely better than hand direction where a fidget or gesture can send me flying off in the wrong direction. 25 years of 3D video games mean I've developed muscle memory for controlling left stick movement and camera independently, but I don't have that same muscle memory for left stick movement and "the arbitrary direction my hand is pointing".

Either way, I welcome body-based locomotion in any game that implements it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm so used to adjusting my direction with sticks in regular games that NOT using head direction doesn't make any sense to me; I unthinkingly adjust the stick direction as my head moves, it's as natural as breathing.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

El Grillo posted:

Wait what? I haven't played for a few years, did they really fund the MoH game but not release it on the PC store?? Bahahahaa

Are they just only releasing the mobile version of games now then? I'm amazed they wouldn't do a PC version of something like Asguard's Wrath 2, I would have thought quite a lot of the userbase of Quest uses it as a PCVR headset?

:facepalm:

The PC Oculus client has a friends list. I'm not sure if it shows you if your friends are playing standalone Quest games; all of my friends were offline so I can't check.

El Grillo posted:

And if I ever get a Quest 3, will I be able to access my library of PCVR games - I think I had lone echo in there which I never got around to playing, stupidly

Sure. Just download the PC Oculus client and play the game on your PC either wired or wirelessly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm so used to adjusting my direction with sticks in regular games that NOT using head direction doesn't make any sense to me; I unthinkingly adjust the stick direction as my head moves, it's as natural as breathing.

Different strokes for different folks. I simulate body tracking as best I can by hugging the offhand controller to my chest so that it turns when I rotate my body. It's far from perfect though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

veni veni veni posted:

VR has the worst identity crisis in tech history.

why do people keep making/selling headsets that there are very few good games for

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
It’s pretty funny that the console selling game came out today and no one it talking about it.

I tried it. Pretty strong start! Makes good use of positional audio and uses the 3d side of VR pretty well. Gonna definitely keep going with it

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Enderzero posted:

It’s pretty funny that the console selling game came out today and no one it talking about it.

I might be interested in Asgard's Wrath 2 if I hadn't played the first one and found it to be really dull

the positive reviews don't do much to sway me because it seems like VR reviewers are positive about basically any game with a budget

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Haven't played it yet, but reviews are being bombed due to a lack of Q3-specific visual enhancements because gamers are huge entitled babies (was at 20% 1 star reviews when I looked).

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

pantsfree posted:

Haven't played it yet, but reviews are being bombed due to a lack of Q3-specific visual enhancements because gamers are huge entitled babies (was at 20% 1 star reviews when I looked).

To be fair, how the gently caress are you going to give it away free with every one of your new flagship headsets and not have it updated at launch.

It's dumb to give it a 1 for that, but lol come on Meta.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
It does have Quest 3 specific AR features, and increased framerate, but I guess people are complaining about low res textures or something. They should have just added a sharpening filter too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TIP posted:

I might be interested in Asgard's Wrath 2 if I hadn't played the first one and found it to be really dull

the positive reviews don't do much to sway me because it seems like VR reviewers are positive about basically any game with a budget

My take on asgards wrath 1 was that people were so starved for a real game in VR they were wiling to overlook it not being very good. I played through maybe half of it and was mostly bored as hell.

But yeah 100% VR reviewers are so positive about almost everything it becomes hard to get an actual read on what’s good. I trust forums posts way over reviews.

That said AR 2 might be great for all I know.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I had to stop playing Asgard's Wrath 2 after 5 minutes because i got motion sickness lol, we'll see how it is when I go back in with maximum comfort options enabled.

I guess it's good I feel like I already got my money's worth with mixed reality/single space experiences because I think I'm really unable to play anything where motion is not directly mapped to my own body moving lol

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The Eyes Have It posted:

Quest firmware update now supports upper body tracking via the camera inputs, which opens the door to "body direction" steered locomotion instead of just "controller" or "head" choices.

There's been versions of this using some kind of average of the head and hand positions to ascertain body direction. The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners comes to mind as a particularly good implementation, it's not perfect but it's way better than hand or head directed. I was expecting it to be the "this is solved now" moment but weirdly, no one seemed to notice.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I played for 40 minutes on Quest 3 and its jaw dropping.

Sure some of the textures could be higher resolution, but its presented pretty dang well.

I had multiple times where I was floored

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Played a couple hours of it. Intro was fantastic. Very high energy and dramatic. The production values are in a different league compared to other VR games. Very nice cinematics and score. You can tell by the menus alone it’s going to be a very robust game, and not hollow feeling like AC Nexus was.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hey neat, gamepass finally came out!

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-brings-hundreds-of-xbox-titles-to-the-meta-quest-with-no-xbox-console-required/

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
Asgard's Wrath 2 is good so far. Nice balance of story, dungeon crawling, puzzle solving, and combat with very high quality presentation. It feels kind of like a VR Zelda game in a lot of ways with combat and traversal mechanics similar to Dungeon of Eternity. On Quest 3 the framerate is excellent, but it feels like the resolution is downscaled. Still quite immersive though.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

veni veni veni posted:

My take on asgards wrath 1 was that people were so starved for a real game in VR they were wiling to overlook it not being very good. I played through maybe half of it and was mostly bored as hell.

But yeah 100% VR reviewers are so positive about almost everything it becomes hard to get an actual read on what’s good. I trust forums posts way over reviews.

That said AR 2 might be great for all I know.

Asgards Wrath 2 looks like a game that would have been a launch title by EA on the Xbox One that everyone forgot about in a month or so. I bought the cheaper Quest 3 and it was still gifted to my account.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Any recommendations for a quality headstrap/additional battery for the Meta Quest 3? My battery died while I was an hour into Half-Life Alyx and I was NOT READY TO LEAVE.

Also, any recommendation for a quest link cable that works for connecting the MQ3 to a PC? I got a random one off of Amazon but my computer never registers that it's a thing. I've been using Virtual Desktop to play Steam games but still have a bit of tearing and lag sometimes.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Poldarn posted:

Any recommendations for a quality headstrap/additional battery for the Meta Quest 3? My battery died while I was an hour into Half-Life Alyx and I was NOT READY TO LEAVE.

Also, any recommendation for a quest link cable that works for connecting the MQ3 to a PC? I got a random one off of Amazon but my computer never registers that it's a thing. I've been using Virtual Desktop to play Steam games but still have a bit of tearing and lag sometimes.

I have both the official pro strap and the bobovr3 and my favourite way to use it is bobovr3 minus the bit that blocks your vision, like the quest pro. I have never used a quest pro though, that's second hand info. the 'dual presence' of the peripheral vision helps with motion sickness and is awesome for mixed reality stuff. It is very comfortable and the battery has been great for me (not a power user) despite a bunch of Reddit moaning and I think a product revision which rendered mine strictly worse I guess?

hope this helps
love from me
goodbye

EDIT: also maybe getting the fit right is a bit more of a science after taking off the eye gasket shield whatever

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'll test AG2 with Quest Games Optimizer to see how far the res can be pushed and report back, goonz.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

ShaneB posted:

I'll test AG2 with Quest Games Optimizer to see how far the res can be pushed and report back, goonz.

You are doing the gods work.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Bondematt posted:

To be fair, how the gently caress are you going to give it away free with every one of your new flagship headsets and not have it updated at launch.

It's dumb to give it a 1 for that, but lol come on Meta.

It runs on Q3 at 90hz instead of 72hz and has a resolution boost over the Q2, My understanding is that it was built with Q2 as the target device and that Q3 optimizations will come later where possible, but I hope that this isn't at the expense of frame rate.

Either way it's hard to complain given that this already puts it far above most other titles which are both incredibly poorly optimized and look like garbage.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I keep hearing Ancient Dungeon is really good. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Can't say the minecraft looking graphics do much for me but if it's fun I'm fine with it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It’s… good-bad. Really cool mechanics and freedom of movement, but using powers is awkward, movement feels a little too slow, and hit detection just doesn’t feel great, too floaty by one degree. So combat can be frustrating to adjust to. But it feels like a GAME, like a fledged NES-quality first try at a new platform’s potential. So I still recommend it, especially with multiplayer now included. Also the knife is exhausting to use but really fun to master.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJIYco1mcCg Here's some AW2 footage I grabbed last night while playing.
Youtube compression absolutely murders the 1024x1024 capture on the quest, not sure the process for getting clearer results?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

ShaneB posted:

I'm curious as to how it impacts battery life, cpu stability, and heat.

If you can get a nice increase in resolution, and maintain a steady fps, and not have those issues, i'd be interested in trying it.

I'm just paranoid that if I use it, then for the rest of the time I own the device, every time I encounter an issue, i'll be wondering if modding the headset caused it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Black August posted:

It’s… good-bad. Really cool mechanics and freedom of movement, but using powers is awkward, movement feels a little too slow, and hit detection just doesn’t feel great, too floaty by one degree. So combat can be frustrating to adjust to. But it feels like a GAME, like a fledged NES-quality first try at a new platform’s potential. So I still recommend it, especially with multiplayer now included. Also the knife is exhausting to use but really fun to master.

I think the combat will open up more once you get all the cool weapons, powers, and companions in the mix.

Being good at parrying also requires some time memorizing their attack speed and patterns, not unlike dark souls combat.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember in Dungeons of Eternity it took me a sec to figure out that parrying only worked if your weapon "meets" the other one. Like, you have to attack into the incoming weapon, you can't just passively hold out your blade to parry. You need a small amount of forward motion to trigger the parry.

On one hand: dear game that's not very cash physics of you, but as a game mechanic it seemed to work okay.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
vr this morning was alyx and that alien isolation hack and two questions here

- why is alyx so gross. it's so icky!!!!

- why is there no vr port of alien isolation, it's already like 80% of the way there. it feels very much like a vr game, the cutting panels etc. get on it warner brothers!!!

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Way back in the day there was an Alien Isolation VR mod. It was for the Oculus DK1, and maaaaybe DK2.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Does Walkabout MiniGolf now require two copies to play on my singular account? My girlfriend is on my Quest 3 and I am on 2, and we can't join the same private match. Done it multiple times in the past.

Not complaining if I have to make her an account and buy her the game. Just curious.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I've had problems playing Walkabout private matches lately. One of my friends had to delete and uninstall the game to join my room

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kazy posted:

Way back in the day there was an Alien Isolation VR mod. It was for the Oculus DK1, and maaaaybe DK2.

It’s called the MOTHER mod and worked on cv1 as well but you had to use game pad then later he touch controllers as game pad iirc. Might still work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Al! posted:

vr this morning was alyx and that alien isolation hack and two questions here

- why is alyx so gross. it's so icky!!!!

- why is there no vr port of alien isolation, it's already like 80% of the way there. it feels very much like a vr game, the cutting panels etc. get on it warner brothers!!!

Alien isolation looks amazing in Vr and yeah it’s crazy they got that far into porting it to VR and never finished the job. If sega cleaned it up I’d be willing to rebuy the whole game.

Still the VR mod is an amazing experience. One of my top VR games even though it lacks motion controller support and has some cutscene jank