Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I've heard you should be careful / not play in a sunny area or outside but want to know the specifics as my best VR playing area is a conservatory with a glass ceiling.

Can someone clarify what the risk of exposing your Quest to the sun is? Is it just that if you leave it out at the wrong angle the light can be focused through the lenses and burn the screen inside the headset? And/or is the sun damaging to the cameras on the outside or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Any recommended cheap but good 5m usb a to c cable for the quest 2? Is there a spec or data rate to aim for?

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Saukkis posted:

Have you considered going wireless?

Thanks, will get a cheap one then. I've done the wireless, this is as much for charging while playing sat down tbh, and to see whether it works better than the wireless link.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Any recommended better straps for the quest 2? A quick look on amazon showed this for £30, good bet or should I be looking for something more official?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09137FZNT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_5RR19T7S7K5DXMZFZ9FQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Leathal posted:

Yep, my head is gigantic to the point where the DAS has to be all the way extended to fit (granted I have aftermarket padding) but the halo strap has plenty of additional room.

Actually just yesterday I 3d printed adapters to put the DAS headphones on my halo strap. That free VRCover replacement padding provides just enough additional support to ditch the top strap too.

Still not as comfy as PSVR though.

I bought this. Its just a bit of plastic you work into the existing strap. Very basic but very effective and to me as good as an elite strap. Expensive for what it is but cheaper than the elite strap. I don't know why they don't just ship it like this (well I do, it's so they can sell lots of elite straps).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R867J2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9R50MXYD0DWQHV9S18S8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

house of the dad posted:

This one will probably fly under the radar but I can’t say enough good things about Walkabout Mini Golf. The physics are spot on and there are 7 18 hole courses all with an easy and hard version. There’s even a little scavenger hunt thing for new balls and putters. Can’t recommend it enough if other mini golf games have left you disappointed.

Definitely one of the top / must have games if you have friends to play with.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

jabro posted:

I wouldn’t count on clearance for them. The 64Gb’s are pretty much sold out in my area and most online retailers are sold out also. The returbs on Amazon were going for $60 over MSRP two days ago and are sold out now.

They appear out of stock currently as they've been withdrawn from sale for a month due to the issue with the facial interface. I'd guess that this makes the 2nd hand eBay price higher right now as that's the only way to get hold of one. If you wait a few weeks they'll be much more available.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Paperback Writer posted:

is the Quest 2 sold out everywhere right now at retail?

It's been taken off sale for a month due to the issues with the face interface causing irritation.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/computing/facebook-pauses-sales-of-the-oculus-quest-2-due-to-face-irritation-concerns/

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I've never heard of this guy but reading his twitter it seems like his Facebook account was taken over by scammers and subsequently blocked as a result of that.

So Facebook are still bad and there definitely should be a solution where you can have a different Facebook account for work and leisure (I don't know if this is a thing already?) but it's not like they just randomly banned him for no reason.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's another example in Google accounts, because if you get banned for something minor (Argument's sake; a Youtube comment gets flagged, or you post a video that gets claimed to hell by bots) that's your whole Google account just gone. Your Google Drive storage, your emails, everything.

The difference with Google is you can have as many accounts as you want. Most people wouldnt necessarily tie their business and personal accounts and if you have a problem you can make a new account if you need to. Whereas Facebook nominally only allow you one account that's in your real name.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Steam August data:

Weird numbers, with Quest 1 and Rift S increasing and Q2 decreasing. And another big slip in total numbers, maybe the heat of the summer is really affecting how many people plays in VR.

Probably due to the Q2 being off sale for the month?

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

VR gaming kinda reminds me of gaming in the 80s on spectrum and c64. Tons of single dev games, ropey quality control, half finished games which are kind of rubbish but also pretty cool in a way that they are passion projects or you can know the developer in some way or be part of a very small community of players, plus an unpolished but authentic feeling about the games.

It's a bit like the indie gaming resurgence of the last 10 years but somehow more endearing, maybe because it's still niche enough that it hasn't yet been ruined by big gaming companies.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I'm in Europe and have had it a few times. It seems pretty random.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Butt Discussin posted:

I have barely used my Quest 2 since the elite strap last broke and I replaced it with a halo strap recommended here. The problem is that my IPD is 72. With the elite strap, it was still actually fine, just with a very very small sweet spot - move the headset relative to my eyes at all, and it becomes unbearably swimmy/blurry. With the halo strap, the headset moves relative to my eyes too much no matter how I wear or tighten it, so it's just not usable.

Is there another elite-style compression strap anyone here uses other than the elite strap, preferably one close to the elite but more durable?

I did a fair amount of research and bought this. Its just a rubber cup that loops into the default strap and provides more support and weight distribution. Way simpler than all the other add ons but it's just right for me. I can't belive they don't ship the quest 2 with something like this really.

KIWI design Headset Strap Pad for Oculus Quest 2 VR Headset, Replacement for Elite Strap and Reduce Head Pressure Accessories for Quest 2 Strap and Enhanced Support and Friction, White https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R867J2G/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_APS1E1WKAWE7AM2JA0T3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I got a 30% off code and was hoping to buy Saints and Sinners, but when I put the code into the Oculus desktop app the entire screen goes blank and I can't complete the transaction, anyone had that issue?

Yes I have, or similar maybe. I tried to buy Lone Echo and it didn't work even though the code was showing on the final purchase screen. I contacted support and it transpired that the code is only for native Quest games and not for Rift/PCVR. I pointed out that it didn't say that anywhere and even prompted me to add the code on the purchase screen and that in the interim the code has expired leaving men codeless. They gave me a £10 voucher instead which was a much better deal.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Is beat saber playable over airlink? I wany to get it and it seems much less hassle to do custom songs etc on the pc version.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

No sure whether they're exclusives but walkabout mini golf and eleven table tennis are both great and suit untethered play.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

When people talk about FoV on the Quest 2, do you mean how it's a bit like you're looking through binoculars (ie low peripheral vision), or that there is a small sweet spot in the middle that is crisp and if you move your eyes around the edges are blurry?

Quest 2 is my only VR experience, keen to know how much better the Quest 3 (or whatever) will look?!

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Ah cool. Is the blurry edges just part of VR until we get some kind of eye tracking tech? Or is that a quest thing too?

I'd love a quest with a wider FoV though.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Turin Turambar posted:

Microsoft, Amazon, Sony, Google, Apple* could 'answer' the Quest 2 price with similar competition.

*Well we all know that Apple won't because it isn't their strategy.

Google won't either I don't think, they dip into stuff like that and don't commit enough long term. See Stadia, Google glass et al.

Amazon definitely could.

Sony and to an extent MS are much more likely to want to see a direct return on the product line I think, whereas Facebook are more willing to roll it into their addressing of surveillance capitalism as a whole.

Steam definitely could and I think should once they've got the steam deck out. They could own the hardware platform for non console gaming if they played their cards right. Didn't work for standard gaming desktops but definitely could for niche stuff like handheld and VR.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

pun pundit posted:

Dude, Minecraft is old enough nobody remembers any drama around its creation.

I vaguely remember the early stages of Minecraft development happening in near real time on these forums. Didn't play it at the time (or since really) and wasn't aware of any drama. Was there a precursor that he ripped off of something?

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Glagha posted:

Infiniminer was a game that basically laid out the framework for Minecraft's mining mechanics and Minecraft basically ripped them off wholesale and made a billion dollars, or at least that's the claim. I definitely recall seeing Infiniminer first.

Thanks, I quite like knowing about gaming history like this.

Dunno if this writeup is impartial but it doesn't make it sound too controversial

https://minecraft.fandom.com/wiki/Infiniminer

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Wireless VR is a complete game changer. So much more immersion when you don't have to mentally track where the cable is and how tangled it is.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I'm playing Alex at the moment and the weapon swap feels really clunky. Using the gravity guns, reloading, moving stuff around all feels great, weapon swap not so much.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Alctel posted:

Also I finally got one of the 30% coupons and got Pistol Whip - games good

Same. Loving it, krunking dubstep and John Wick are a good combo. I love the little movie plot descriptions for each level.

Was interested around market size for this kind of game though. Playing the initial levels on normal difficulty default settings I seemed to be dropping into most of the leaderboards at around 1000ish. I consider myself extremely average at games in general, does that mean only 2000ish people have bought pistol whip? The subreddit only has a few thousand members too. I thought it was a much bigger game than that, or is VR just a smaller market than I thought?

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Once more people have quests and VR gaming is more mass market, there will be more of a market for pcvr games.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Stuff like Beat Saber, SUPERHOT and Pistol Whip would run on that with no issues.

If you're mainly gonna play these though you'd be better off just getting a quest, less hassle to set up and cheaper.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Jack Trades posted:

Fair point but on the other hand, Facebook.

I stopped using Facebook about 10 years ago and never post, read or even log in so it's no biggie for me to use my old account as my Quest login.

In terms of de-facebooking my life WhatsApp is a far bigger issue as almost everyone uses that and it hard to persuade people to move to Signal.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

They'll all have heard of the series though, it's one of the bigger and longer running game franchises out there.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Yeah there's a current kludge where if you're the marketing manager for Joe's Steakhouse, you have to manage their Facebook assets via your personal account, but you can at least grant other people access, but it's still a lovely system

Kind of curious if Facebook tries to get into the oauth identity management game, similar to what Google is doing with Enterprise Gmail accounts etc

I agree with the thought that work accounts is driving the meta account option. They want people to use vr for work so they can drive into that market, and people can only do that if they can use their work accounts to do so, not their personal ones.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

explosivo posted:

poo poo I didn't know this was a thing, thanks for the heads up. I don't really have any issues with Virtual Desktop but I'm still going to have to give that a try.

I spent a lot of time on this and it really didn't work for me with a dedicated WiFi 6 card and the latest version of Windows. Seems the hot-spot functionality on new versions of Windows aren't very well supported and I always topped out at 276ish mb which seems to be the spec max of WiFi direct or whatever it is Windows uses for hotpot these days. If it works for you then great though.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

They specificaly say Windows 11 is not yet supported. Dang, wish I hadn't upgraded now...

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Me neither to be fair.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Somebody needs to make a prebuilt core2duo system with a 3080ti in it because I just need the gpu

I think the pre built vibe is that they're happy to seel you the card if you buy £1500 worth of other stuff with it...

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Or more accurately mafia inspired this, which inspired the movie, I think.
https://beziergames.com/products/one-night-ultimate-werewolf

Isn't among us basically the spiritual successor to these games?

They're amazing by the way if you've never played them before. Werewolf can be learned in minutes and is great for family gatherings.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

How can hardware of the year be anything other than quest2? It has revolutionised VR by making it available to the masses as a standalone product.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For a cheap option I'm still using this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B094DC2WP8

I actually prefer the fit to the elite strap, because it uses the original strap and the elastic holds it to your face in a way that the plastic of the elite strap doesn't.

I use this too, would recommend it.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

The best thing about tetris effect is how the music adapts as you move and drop bricks and clear lines. That was really cool.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Demeo?

It's really fun but a bit unfinished and development progress has been slow. I'd still get it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Diephoon posted:

Probably should've asked around Black Friday but can anyone recommend a good wireless modem/router for Quest 2 Virtual Desktop play? I'm in a position where I can afford an upgrade but would obviously prefer a good deal if there's one to be had.

e: On that note, anyone care to recommend some rechargeable AA batteries for the controllers as well? Would be prudent to have a couple pairs to swap between while the other is charging.

I bought my Quest 2 last Christmas, I use it every week although not every day, and I've only just changed my left controller battery for the first time (my main games are table tennis and golf so I changed the right battery a few months back). Those controller batteries last forever!