Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

pantsfree posted:

Larcenauts is out today, 6v6 class-based shooter in the vein of tf2/apex/overwatch, on both quest and pc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HkHolOKvm8

https://store.steampowered.com/app/421190/Larcenauts/
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/3126295830741280/

Launches with 8 classes and 4 maps. If they've executed it well this could be v popular.

Does it have crossplay with oculus/pcvr/steam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

dupersaurus posted:

I have a last-tick-on-a-baseball-hat big head and that halo strap is pretty good

Yep, my head is gigantic to the point where the DAS has to be all the way extended to fit (granted I have aftermarket padding) but the halo strap has plenty of additional room.

Actually just yesterday I 3d printed adapters to put the DAS headphones on my halo strap. That free VRCover replacement padding provides just enough additional support to ditch the top strap too.

Still not as comfy as PSVR though.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I've been getting back into VR after upgrading some PC parts and this is probably a stupid question but is it like...Normal, for stuff to be a little hazy? I'm not talking 'i forgot my glasses' blurry (which is all googling seems to bring up) but the image never feels particularly sharp. I dunno if this is just how VR is or what. It's not a huge deal though but it is a bit annoying when it makes me feel nearsighted in games like Alyx where stuff a little far away is out of focus a tad bit. Mostly talking like text and such. I tried messing around with the IPD and didn't notice a real difference.

I experienced this with my Index and the fix was going down to 90hz or whatever instead of 140 cause I was trying to push my 2070s.. like even the menus in steamvr were a tad blurry, then going to 90 made everything crisp.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alright I’ll give the halo a shot. Worst case I can always return it and use the original elastic strap while I figure out what I’m getting I suppose. If a fellow bighead says it’s ok I’ll try it.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Skyarb posted:

Does it have crossplay with oculus/pcvr/steam?

Apparently yes. They also said they'd have cross-buy on oculus but that doesn't appear to be the case right now.

Warning though it doesn't currently work on anything other than an Oculus headset, fix in the works though:

https://twitter.com/ImpulseGear/status/1405576725388357633

Edit: Watching some streams and it seems to be pretty janky right now so might be worth waiting for the first patch or two

pantsfree fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 17, 2021

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Now it makes sense why they bought the population one devs. The game is littered with billboards that just display the Pop1 logo. Someone’s boutta be replacing all those with real ads

I'm legit surprised this hasn't been done already. I'm sure activision could make bank if they just provided advertisers a heat map of areas that were looked at the most by players and bid for where to place their ads on the billboards.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The problem with that kind of granular ad data is if you promote that you have it, it gets very awkward if the data that comes through over time shows that people aren't actually looking at them at all. Then you get asked why you stopped showing the data you were so proud of 3 months ago. A lot of in-game advertising has the same issue which is that people don't tend to actually look at them for long because the only way to ensure people look at them is to have them actively interfere with the game. It really only works long term in genres where advertising actually fits in, aka sports games and racing games where you have hoardings around the play area where people expect advertising and might even actively want them kept up to date for immersion reasons.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Leathal posted:

Yep, my head is gigantic to the point where the DAS has to be all the way extended to fit (granted I have aftermarket padding) but the halo strap has plenty of additional room.

Actually just yesterday I 3d printed adapters to put the DAS headphones on my halo strap. That free VRCover replacement padding provides just enough additional support to ditch the top strap too.

Still not as comfy as PSVR though.

I bought this. Its just a bit of plastic you work into the existing strap. Very basic but very effective and to me as good as an elite strap. Expensive for what it is but cheaper than the elite strap. I don't know why they don't just ship it like this (well I do, it's so they can sell lots of elite straps).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08R867J2G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_9R50MXYD0DWQHV9S18S8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

njsykora posted:

The problem with that kind of granular ad data is if you promote that you have it, it gets very awkward if the data that comes through over time shows that people aren't actually looking at them at all. Then you get asked why you stopped showing the data you were so proud of 3 months ago. A lot of in-game advertising has the same issue which is that people don't tend to actually look at them for long because the only way to ensure people look at them is to have them actively interfere with the game. It really only works long term in genres where advertising actually fits in, aka sports games and racing games where you have hoardings around the play area where people expect advertising and might even actively want them kept up to date for immersion reasons.

I think the public reaction will be potentially very negative, if the ads are overt/intrusive. VR games aren't like mobile games that are played casually almost like time wasters, VR games instead are things that people go and isolate themselves from their surroundings to play them, and their key factors is the immersion. So ads floating in front of your face or being in places where they don't make sense, breaking immersion, will be super unpopular.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

v30 Update
https://www.oculus.com/blog/multitasking-accessibility-improvements-and-air-link-for-quest-1-in-the-latest-oculus-software-update/
-Swappable mic feature
-Multi 2d window capability
-Support for color vision disability helpers
-'Raise View' feature, to change your height if you are sitting
-Air Link for Quest 1

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 17, 2021

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Eventually the eye tracking will help them figure out the best way to monetize billboards while in game, until then I think they will crowbar in the ads that you can't look away from, or ads that you need to look at to proceed

Like the unskippable opening seconds of a video ad locking the "skip ahead" button behind a timer, we are gonna get "look at this ad for 5 seconds to continue"

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
please say "precision tools for your family jewels" to skip forward 30 seconds

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

A Bag of Milk posted:

please say "precision tools for your family jewels" to skip forward 30 seconds

luckily, I'm just muttering that all the time already

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Futurama was a documentary

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BraveLinedAsiantrumpetfish-mobile.mp4

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Leal posted:

I'm legit surprised this hasn't been done already. I'm sure activision could make bank if they just provided advertisers a heat map of areas that were looked at the most by players and bid for where to place their ads on the billboards.

It sounds a lot like what Microsoft did in the 360 era, where games could have defined areas where ads could just be dynamically pumped in. I don't know if I ever saw it in action beyond Madden games where they'd have ads on like the pause screen and on the score overlay inbetween quarters, and the Scene It games where the ad areas were movie posters where the latest movies would get slotted in.

First thing I thought of too.
Finally the future is here.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 17, 2021

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
~Air Link will turn off automatically if it isn't in use for 24 hours~

fuckin WHY

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

fuf posted:

fuckin WHY

because the oculus desktop software is dogshit, probably

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Air Link disabling after 24 hours is somehow not as dumb as Air Link disabling regular Link.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

fuf posted:

fuckin WHY

I read that it isn't the case anymore with v30 desktop app.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Turin Turambar posted:

I think the public reaction will be potentially very negative, if the ads are overt/intrusive. VR games aren't like mobile games that are played casually almost like time wasters, VR games instead are things that people go and isolate themselves from their surroundings to play them, and their key factors is the immersion. So ads floating in front of your face or being in places where they don't make sense, breaking immersion, will be super unpopular.

They are going to constantly flash ads at people and they won't care about the pushback

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

"What are you gonna do? Buy a Vive?" :smug:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Until someone else makes a $300 standalone headset to compete, Facebook doesnt really HAVE to do anything or listen to anyone, which is their MO

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

mutata posted:

"What are you gonna do? Buy a Vive?" :smug:

And how are you gonna buy the GPU that PC VR needs, in this market? :smug:

(even more, because the main improvement in these 5 years of VR has not been controllers, or sound, or fov, or sweet spot, but pixel count increase, multiplying how much gpu you require)

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I'm quite enjoying my Quest 2 for now. If ads become an intrusive issue down the road I'll deal with it then or I'll just stop using it. I have a whole collection of $300+ game systems that I don't play anymore but enjoyed the poo poo out of at the time.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah the Quest 2 isnt the issue for me it's the fact that FB is buying up any and every competent VR dev, it's the complete social media takeover with Instagram all over again

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gimme the TikTok VR headset

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Gimme the TikTok VR headset

I'm sure you all will be happy to know that Snapchat is coming out with AR glasses

https://www.spectacles.com/new-spectacles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Didnt they already do that? Or was that Instagram?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
They had glasses with a camera in it (and they still do, now there's like a $350 fancy pair) but I think this is the first time they've tried to do AR with it

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah the Quest 2 isnt the issue for me it's the fact that FB is buying up any and every competent VR dev, it's the complete social media takeover with Instagram all over again

It's weird because it really just seems like absolutely nobody else gives a poo poo about VR at all

Edit: like with social networks at least there's always been other stuff around and some form of competition happening, but in VR right now everyone else seems to be just shrugging their shoulders and saying "well VR isn't worth a ton of money *today* so we'll either half rear end it or give up"

Lemming fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 18, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Valve, in my mind, really dropped the ball on VR software. Yes they have made good, competent VR headsets and SteamVR is very important but they really didn’t do anything on the software side other than Alyx.

Recall back in the day they bought the team that made Portal, they did the same with the team fortress and counterstrike teams.

The games that resulted from that are legendary, genre defining games that changed the face of the industry. There are a ton of games that just wouldn’t exist today if not for them.

They could have done that for VR. They produced this amazing new hardware, not once but twice and then just went “well, I guess make games or something, we don’t know”. They have the money, the leverage and the reach to dominate the industry but they just for some reason don’t do it and it’s really frustrating.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 18, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Valve is dropping the ball on anything that isn't Steam because Steam is making them way way too much money. Its the same reason why we haven't gotten a Half-life 3.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

There are a LOT of headsets in production at the moment, but no one has a full stack product (hardware and software and controllers), and everyone is on their back foot. Hard to compete with a money faucet monopoly even when you're well-positioned. Time will tell, I guess.

Edit: Valve is a club, not a company. They do whatever they find interesting in any given day and get bored very easily. That's basically it.

mutata fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 18, 2021

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Valve, in my mind, really dropped the ball on VR software. Yes they have made good, competent VR headsets and SteamVR is very important but they really didn’t do anything on the software side other than Alyx.

Recall back in the day they bought the team that made Portal, they did the same with the team fortress team.

The games that resulted from that are legendary, genre defining games that changed the face of the industry. There are a ton of games that just wouldn’t exist today if not for them.

They could have done that for VR. They produced this amazing new hardware, not once but twice and then just went “well, I guess make games or something, we don’t know”. They have the money, the leverage and the reach to dominate the industry but they just for some reason don’t do it and it’s really frustrating.

They ported Half Life 2 to VR as their flagship title

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/valve-half-life-alyx-interview

quote:

So I think for a while there after that and after the Episodes, it wasn't so clear what that next thing was going to be, and we weren't really used to trying to build a Half-Life where we weren't quite sure what problem it was solving. Then, I think, VR in this product kinda did that for us. Instead of sitting there at the start of it going, "What is Half-Life 3?" we already had a prototype using Half-Life 2 assets that people could play in VR. It was supposed to be about 15 minutes long, but people would spend about 45 minutes in it, and you'd just watch them and it became really clear what to do. It was like, "I get this." You take all the things that we understand that work in Half-Life 2 and figure out how VR makes them better, and there were some of them that were obvious from day one, and as time went on we found more and more opportunities.

But it meant that instead of sitting there with an existential abstract problem that you don't know how to work on until you've, you know, it's like, "Well, we'll start working on [this] and hopefully in a year or two maybe we'll have got an answer to why people should play this game." With VR, it was like, "All right, I get it, I know what work I can do on this today. I can start writing code, I can start building levels and all this stuff," and so I think that was enough to convince us to, you know, to allow us to dodge that harder existential question and just get to work and do our best there.

Like, they literally just put Half Life 2 into VR and were like, this is good enough, let's just add stuff to this and call it a game

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mutata posted:

There are a LOT of headsets in production at the moment, but no one has a full stack product (hardware and software and controllers), and everyone is on their back foot. Hard to compete with a money faucet monopoly even when you're well-positioned. Time will tell, I guess.

Edit: Valve is a club, not a company. They do whatever they find interesting in any given day and get bored very easily. That's basically it.

Well like Google had the first 6dof standalone headset in the Mirage Solo https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/daydreamvr/ and then they got bored and killed it

It's not like Google couldn't compete, they just didn't give a poo poo and gave up

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Google VR would most definitely flash ads at people, too. Doesn't Valve still have 2 more big VR games in production? All they need to do is add inside out capability to SteamVR, expand Big Picture mode to be standalone and other partners could make the hardware. They are more than halfway to what the quest is already.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Google VR would most definitely flash ads at people, too. Doesn't Valve still have 2 more big VR games in production?

No

https://uploadvr.com/new-valve-vr-games/

quote:

“All the resource for VR game development later in the cycle, during Alyx’s development, all of those resources got moved onto Alyx,” Coomer explained. “So at the moment, no, there aren’t three other titles in development. But, as for what’s coming, we don’t really have something new or newsworthy for you to say: ‘Once Alyx is out the door here’s what you should expect to have happen.'”

It also seems like they lost their appetite somewhat for making more VR software

https://www.pcgamer.com/valve-employees-want-to-build-a-full-scale-non-vr-half-life-game/

quote:

"Privately, most of the team hopes that the next big thing will indeed be a full-scale Half-Life game built not for VR," writes Keighley, "but as a game accessible across all traditional gaming platforms."

However, he says that there's some doubt within the company as to whether Valve will commit to a large-scale development project like that—which is a bit odd if Valve is truly a leaderless, 'flat' company as it has claimed to be. (I'm going to speculate and guess that it isn't really flat, and someone up top has to approve this sort of thing.) Whatever form it takes, though, more Half-Life is definitely ahead.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Bummer, a potential VR Portal is probably the thing I was most excited about when HMDs first started coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Blaston's reviews are taking a hit on Steam after this announcement about the ads, the developer was replying to each one saying "the steam version isn't subject to the ads but thanks for the feedback!" lol