Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I think I might pick up a Quest in the near very near future. The Link stuff seems cool as hell and I already tried and returned the Rift S around launch due to my IPD being wide and not realizing until after purchase the mechanical adjustment was removed :psyduck:.

At least I got Half-Life:Alyx for free through the Steam Link/Controller and Mac support gently caress up from 2015. Never thought that would come in handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

I should probably add links to stores that sell those lens inserts to the OP, but I don't wear glasses so I know jack poo poo about all that. Anyone got any experience with them?

VR Optician is the only one I'm aware of and I keep seeing people recommend them.

https://vroptician.com/

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

OK, so the Quest is high on my mind but I see people making the case for the Samsung Odyssey+ since it’s on sale for $229.

They’re both OLED and they both have mechanical IPD adjustment. The Quest has a 72hz display while the Odyssey+ has 90hz which makes it a bit more attractive for sim stuff. When I had the Rift S for a week before returning due to IPD issues, I did enjoy the Touch controllers and the Odyssey+’s WMR controllers look... jank?

What would be the better option down the line for games life Half-Life: Alyx, Elite: Dangerous and No Man’s Sky?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

homeless snail posted:

HTC sells refurb Vives for $400 if you want to go that route, also

Base stations are an absolute non-starter for me unfortunately. It's one of the reasons why I gravitated to the Rift S originally.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cool, thanks for the input guys. Sounds more saner than the Reddit fanaticism I've been coming across.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

It's "fine" if you don't have the expected IPD range the Rift S expects you to have. So the Quest is more or less my only option at that price point.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahh. I could've sworn someone in the thread said it was limited for the Beta, or something like that.

This might be what you have read.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198350474526760961

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1198436175859658753

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

The Butcher posted:

I'd like to nominate this one as the best motion sickness induction simulator, and I'm basically immune to it usually.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1051570/Hockey_Player_VR/

It's a rink full of Rayman characters. :eyepop:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

Did Amazon have any headsets on sale for Cyber Monday? I got some gift cards so if so I may wait until Christmas rolls around.

Just the Rift S. It was 350 for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. Not much else outside of the Samsung Odyssey+ that was sold for 230 bucks but it’s sold out. BH Photo still has it in stock I think.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Is there anyone out there who hasn't modded their Quest? I sorta get that it wasn't made to be used long term for the most part considering the battery life. But every time I see anything about the Quest, the first thing people mention is getting this, or getting that. I suppose Link maybe exacerbates the problem.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Depends on what you consider a "mod";

I got some "kiwi knuckle straps" https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07XYYNXJ3

And a red "silicone cover face mask" https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07X4CVSZL

I used the knuckle straps for a few days but I didn't keep them on as they made my grip uncomfortable. I'm not sure if the face mask counts as a mod but I like how it keeps the face mask pad from getting disgusting so that stays. Also makes the Quest have a red "trim" which makes it easier to spot

I don't play VR for more than 60-90 minutes and don't have a weak neck so the rear battery thing seems super excessive

Mostly whatever you can strap on the headset is what I mean. I've seen people put on battery banks (sure), taped up AA batteries (why) and rolls of quarters ( :psyduck: ). The other end of the spectrum is people removing the original straps and retrofitting the HTC Vive's Deluxe Audio Strap with 3D printed mount points.

The stuff you have there I'd consider just plain accessories.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Double-posting

Is hand tracking turned on with a software flag in OS v11.0.0 (current version, AFAIK) or do you have to wait for the headset to upgrade to OS v11.1.0 or v12.0.0 or what

Has anyone actually gotten to use it yet

Page says it's for v12.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Guess we’ll see when Half-Life: Alyx is released.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hope you weren't expecting to get a Valve Index soon:

:eyepop:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Bloodplay it again posted:

I'm pretty sure, with knuckles being out of stock, that people have started buying the full kit and parting them out on eBay. People in countries where it isn't sold who have tons of money have no problem paying $1,600 or whatever for a kit.

Holy poo poo people are buying the controllers for $500+ on average there. :psyduck:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Isn't that the case with any VR headset? They're plastic lenses and there's almost assuredly a warning on the package somewhere that says to avoid direct sunlight.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

At first glance it looked like they ripped off Drunkn Bar Fight when I saw it run live.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

RIP, got one of them emails saying my Index isn't being shipped until January despite when I ordered the page only said it wasn't guaranteed to be delivered by Christmas. This sucks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

sigher posted:

Is Microsoft still selling the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap for $75 on ebay? I can't find the post or the listing and it looks like the prices have shot up on Amazon. I'm tired of the regular strap on my Quest so I want to Frankenquest it up.

Nope, that source dried up. Hence the price gouging.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Official Oculus Link cable is on sale.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1207544410168184832

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Skyarb posted:

Hahaha gently caress off jesus

The price shouldn't be a surprise. It was announced along side Oculus Link's announcement. Also yeah that Reddit post above.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Leal posted:

Whats a recommended mic for the Quest? Been trying to google suggestions but all I'm getting is people trouble shooting the built in mic. Was looking for a clip on mic, hoping my blue yeti picks me up from across the room is not working out.

In VR chat I found a room that has you climb the infamous ladder in MGS3, and you had to reach the end before the music end or you would get smacked down by a mission failed paddle. That was surprisingly exhausting, then again I'm a goony goon who goons the goon and is extremely out of shape.

Antlion ModMic is one I keep seeing pop up on recommendations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Rookersh posted:

So does Oculus do winter sales for games?

Cause uh, I'm waiting.

There's a sale section in the Rift store:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/section/1578364258944223

On the Quest, not much that I can find, easily at least.

In other news, Oculus sent me an email that my Link cable that was supposed to ship yesterday has been delayed by up 5 business days and they gave me a 20 dollar code that I can't redeem. :negative:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Just picked up the Quest and i have a few questions

If i want to play games for the portable mode, do they need to be purchased from the Oculus store? In other words, if i buy beat saber on steam, will i be able to play that when i dont have headset linked to the PC?

My other question is if i buy beat saber on the Oculus store, will i still be able to mod it?

You need to buy directly from Oculus (either within the headset or with the app on your phone) for standalone games. Games you buy on Steam will not work on the Quest without extra hardware (a USB 3 cable) and Link or other 3rd party software like ALVR and Virtual Desktop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/app/1368187813209608/

Lone Echo is also on sale for $25, I think that's the cheapest it's ever been, it's one of the best single player VR games period. It's more character driven and less about action, the focus is on the locomotion system, but I'd highly recommend it at full price.

Oh dang, I almost bought it the other day after receiving a 20 dollar credit for my delayed Link cable. Really glad I didn't immediately burn it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

That Italian Guy posted:

Am I correct in assuming both War Thunder and Elite don't allow a virtual control scheme ala Ultrawings (touch controllerà with virtual stick), but are either physical stick or controller/m+k?

Can't speak for War Thunder but it is true for Elite. You can however use a (very alpha) mod for it: https://github.com/dantman/elite-vr-cockpit

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

It comes with a clip to route the wire off to the side, yeah?

Yep, it's in the same cardboard ringer the cable is in. Just take it and place the cable and apply it to the side headband and you're good to go.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Got my delayed Oculus Link cable and holy poo poo. Link is legit, especially with some tweaking with the Oculus Debug Tool. I waited specifically for the official cable to have the least amount of issues plus length and it just works and picks up Steam VR without issue. Just with my limited use I'm hard pressed to find compression artifacts but I can feel the low but still somewhat usable refresh rate and I don't mind it too much at all.

Now to get the comfort level up to par. I've so far picked up the Kiwi Designs headband that works like the Studioform one just different material and backed some kickstarter for a counterweight to attach to the back end of the headstrap. I know people put like battery banks or other alternatives but the kickstarter thing is low-ish profile and it shaped to the triangular shape of the back end of the head strap.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

I was thinking just yesterday that v12 was released more than a month and a half ago, and v13 should come soon. Well...

Quest v13 firmware:

Link: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/86022/quest-go-build-13-0-release-notes

Seems like mic support in Link is still not re-enabled at first glance.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Much like Sab669, I also busted out my Quest from the closet it's been sitting in since I moved into my apartment last year. Oculus Link improvements are nice but it has me wondering. Are there any headsets now or coming (not accounting for chip shortages :v:) that would be worth upgrading to for a 71 IPD user? At least ones that don't cost an arm and a leg still?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I bought it, I'm ready to be disappointed. :v: But I am coming from a Quest 1, so whatever.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are a handful of G2 havers in this thread I’m sure they can tell you how it is

Private Speech posted:

It has one of the best displays out of anything that doesn't cost stupid amounts.

And that includes the index.

The tracking is wmr, so ymmv, shouldn't be that much worse than quest. You can always combine it with inedx controllers if you have enough cash lying around.

For that price it's a steal.

Yeah, I was evaluating what I like to play more in VR which I guess at this point is space flyin'. So it should be a slam dunk since simmers love it. My concern however and why I have the Quest 1 in the first place is the slightly wider IPD support. I'm around 70 so that's something I'm a bit contentious about. I did find a reddit thread of G2 owners with similar IPDs say they were content with it at least. Whatever. If it doesn't work out I can just return it minus restocking fee through HP. :shepface:

Shemp the Stooge posted:

If I had a newer video card I would be all over that

Same, if I didn't already have my launch 3080 FE I probably wouldn't consider it.

Edit: Hopefully the "30% improved vertical tracking" on this revision is as legit as they are claiming. Still no capacitive buttons, but I can live without that for now.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 26, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Against my better judgement after ordering the Reverb G2, I also ordered the Quest 2. Might as well compare them. :shepspends:

At least in the event I go with the Quest 2, I can use the 50 dollar gift card I get through Amazon to get a better strap.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

tensai posted:

This is what is tilting me towards the reverb. I'm assuming there's no way to tap into the oculus store with the reverb?

You can get access to Rift content with Revive. Quest content, sorta. Quest 2 support non-existent.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Nov 27, 2021

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

GutBomb posted:

What’s this about quest (non-2) content on the reverb? I’d like to learn more!

Nah, misread. Confusing a game that has both a Rift and Quest version. Sounds like anything Quest is off the table.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

Help me out, I was going to buy a quest 2, but I'm seeing a bunch of people selling used quest 1s in my area for half the price of a 2, and that's probably going to go even cheaper after Christmas.

Is the air link experience decent on the quest 1? Will I feel like a stupid rear end in a top hat when all the new games are quest 2 exclusive? Is RE4 worth that extra $150 (fully prepared for the answer to be yes)?

I feel you will notice the screen resolution more.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

NmareBfly posted:

Borrowed a friend's Vive that was gathering dust to poke around VR stuff for the last couple days, which convinced me that maybe I do actually want a headset of my own. Probably gonna get one of those g2's while it's on sale but worth asking if I'll likely run into huge hitches with a 5600X + 3070? A little lower spec than ideal but I'm expecting most everything will be fine.

No, you’ll be totally fine with what you have and even then you can tweak settings.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

I ordered the Reverb G2 as my first VR headset, but I ordered it from the Microsoft store for their black friday price of $450 instead of from the HP store. At the time, the HP store was sold out.

HP now has new order availability for shipping in January.

Neither HP or Microsoft splash pages mention version 1 or version 2 or whatever. I can't tell if the Microsoft one is the new version. How can I tell? If Microsoft is selling the old version, is it worth it to switch and wait the extra 1+ month?

HP site is confirmed V2 by way of their community reps posting in the HP Reverb subreddit. I've read a few posts from people who have purchased from Microsoft claiming it's the V2 when they got it.

Also, the HP store page does mention the V2's improvements right on it. It's just not clear about it.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Hey I think that's me (not a guy tho). Thanks for the input you and many others. I can't dissuade her from getting the pricy cable, but it's good. She's really not sold on the wireless link but I think she will see the light in time. Hopefully we aren't among the puke-sprayers.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Demeo?

I was literally thinking of buying Demeo while it's on sale. It's a fun concept I can get behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

It's good, but it's better with friends of course. Next month they will have a meaty update that will make the cost of the game more justified (5 heroes, 3 campaigns).

Oh cool, I was just wondering what else they had planned after I bought it from GMG since it's like 20 bucks there. Tried solo just to try it out and it definitely seems neat.