Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I am considering a quest specifically because the wires thing. I borrowed a PSVR once for like 2 weeks and the hooking up and wires and all that made it basically unusable for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got a quest ! It’s really cool! Is beat saber still uncustomizable or did people figure that out? The default songs are not very much my type of music, but it’s still a really cool game.

I’ve used plenty of PS VR with friends but this is sooo much better. Standalone and plug and play makes such a difference

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh cool! Good to know. I know there was some controversy over the capability being patched out but guess they got it back in.

I gave the custom songs a look and wow that’s a lot of anime. Some of the Videos I saw seem to suffer from the same issue custom rock band stuff did where yes it’s a cool song but the person mapping it is not a game designer

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SirViver posted:

Dude, it's Steam. Buy it, try it for less than two hours, refund it if it made you puke.

Also a pleasant surprise - The Oculus store lets you refund stuff in a 2 hour window as well. I haven't tried it yet, not sure if it's an almost instant refund like Steam is but given the highly variable quality of VR stuff it made me take a lot more chances

Apparently they've started having sales too - I seem to have missed it but I'll wait to see if Christmas has one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Beat saber is so good poo poo wow

I’m comparing the quest to a borrowed PSVR and I am sorely missing Rez and Tetris Effect however

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stick100 posted:

If you have a proper cable and a proper computer you can play both via Oculus Link.

I have a proper computer, I haven’t figured out what the proper cable is yet. I will definitely try the Link stuff at some point.

I was really excited to play lots of stuff on the quest and ya it quickly dawned on me how much of what I thought was on there actually needs a PC. Oh well a reason to revisit steam sales

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

A week into Beat Saber, and I am on Expert+ stuff. Really having fun with the game except for one fatal flaw.

Why the gently caress do the chart makers set the scroll speed of the song? It seems like 66% of the custom stuff I play is ruined by either scrolling way to slow and making it awkward or way too fast and making it impossible to keep up with. That is a HUGE no-no as far as rhythm games go. Speed != difficulty, I've heard some people say it has an effect on the timing windows of the songs, which is another huge no-no. Don't base your timing windows off a constantly changing variable, make them static. If this issue were fixed, this could potentially be top rhythm game.

Also. why do chart makers set colors that overrides the default colors I've set for my sabers? Too much power to chart creators, give the power to the user.

I haven't started installing Custom stuff yet but I can't stop playing Angel Voices and just slightly bumping up the difficulty each time (Slow mo no fail, then try it legit, then do slo mo no fail on the next difficulty). I'm waiting a bit on custom stuff because from experience as cool as it is to have a huge song selection in a rhythm game, like you've noticed, custom chart creators often do not understand how to make things good. They also generally design for one difficulty and I'm not really able to do Expert yet.

Even on Hard though it all feels so cool and professional and you feel like you're properly dancing and my wife actually recorded a video of me and I look so much stupider than I imagined

I believe there are settings to turn color override on and off? When you select a song it's on the left with the other modifiers.

Stick100 posted:

Keep trying USB A -> C and USB C->C cables and your different ports, you'll eventually find a combination that works at some point. Unfortunately they required a cable that can transfer power and USB 3.0 data at the same time. It's pretty rare and requires the heaviest cable I have. I have about 12 cables and only one works. Could have used any cable but then you'd have to stop and charge every once in awhile I really hope they change over to use easier to source cables.

Some things I figured out for Oculus Link:

The Vive Link box can be used as a powered extension. The Vive 3-1 cable does NOT work as a link cable with a female A to female A connector + valid cable.

Thanks! Man I get why people flock to stuff like the Quest where it's just plug and play instead of "Have a GTX 970+ and try 20 wires and check your FPS and don't throw up"

But I really wanna play Half Life VR eventually

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have been super interested in VR for a long time and the Quest is the first time the
price/convenience/offer made sense yes.

Honestly I borrowed a PSVR and even unhooking and hooking up the drat thing you then have wires running across the entire living room that you are chained to, before having to account for the $400 console you need first (I hope you have a Pro!). Then the actual thing does not work incredibly well, I ended up only really playing games that used the PS4 controller while sitting down because the move controllers are so jittery and weird.

The fact that this is standalone makes such, such a big difference. In usability, keeping it hanging around the living room. Being the Switch of VR where you CAN tether it and play more stuff is just another plus.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tom Guycot posted:

It will always be nicer to have higher, but honestly I played for years on a DK2 that was only at 75hz and back then it felt buttery smooth with the only comparison being the DK1's ghosting 60hz.

Honestly, thinking back just a few years, when the DK1 was blowing blowing peoples minds is crazy considering where things already are.

Technology advances much quicker than you would think!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anyone playing touring karts? It just released on steam and boy howdy does a Mario Kart VR game sounds awesome

There is a mario kart VR game :) you just can’t buy it to play at home I guess

https://www.bandainamco-am.co.uk/virtual-reality/vr-zone-portal/mario-kart-vr/

I played it last year and it was pretty cool but it seemed to be like one course everyone played only and it was over really quickly

I wonder if this sorta thing is piratable

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Does stuff just come to the Quest with like 0 announcement or something

Like I looked up what's available and thought oh, lots of games not on it yet. Then stuff just... comes out

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Martytoof posted:

For what it's worth, I was just thinking about Bridge Crew last week and wishing it were on Quest and BAM

So clearly devs just do whatever I will.

I promise to only use my power for good.

Rez and Tetris Effect, thank you
Although I can imagine Tetris with motion controls is a bit poo poo. But I still want portable VR Tetris

...Has anyone tried a Quest on a plane? Like, technically you can do it right?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I got Thumper on Quest (again) just because I wanted some seated games occasionally

I want Rez and Tetris on this thing immediately

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

I really don't like the new modes. Novelty but not in a good way

I hate the 360 one on a quest closest I’ve come to motion sickness

90 degree seemed pretty cool on some of the more basic songs, makes them a bit more interesting.

I can’t imagine how you do 360 chained to a cable

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Leal posted:

So... is there anything I can do to make standing for long periods without my back hurting or do I accept my life as a retail wage slave has hosed me up and I need to accept not being able to stand in one place for longer then an hour?

This is very likely treatable and if you have health insurance go see a doctor

Certain exercise can alleviate this too (I am not a doctor)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I should really get around to playing something that isn’t beat saber on my quest

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

eonwe posted:

wow tetris effect is baller as hell

eonwe posted:

wow tetris effect is baller as hell

For a second I thought this meant it was on quest

I have it on ps4 and borrowed a psvr to try it out and honestly wow

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Instant bought quest Tetris

The original on ps4 was already so so cool without VR I imaging VR makes the experience transcendent

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok I might be an idiot but getting modded beat saber on quest is a bit more of a hassle than I expected?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also I really didn’t wanna link my Facebook to the quest but I wanna see those Monterey bay otters (stopped there on our California road trip)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I finally sat and spent an afternoon getting the quest to run the custom beat saber stuff as well as Steam games through Remote Desktop and all that

First of all Beat Saber went from best game on the quest to this might be one of the best games ever made

Second of all jeez virtual desktop works well. Like, less than a frame of lag it is ridiculous - I connected my PC to the router with Ethernet which might be helping. I think I’m gonna buy a BUNCH of steam VR games now (I just downloaded Alyx to see if this runs ok)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

So the first time I used BMBF to get custom songs on the quest it launched straight out of install

Am I supposed to keep selecting BMBF from library to do that again?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Got it thanks - BMBF isn’t working from unknown sources although the website works in the browser so I’m not sure what went wrong this time. I added about 50 songs yesterday though

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ahh! But either way the real issue was I just had to restart everything for some mysterious reason. Back to browsing bsaber on my quest and downloading bad maps because I like the song

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I tried virtual desktop > ALYX on quest and I think my pc just can’t handle it. Virtual desktop works fantastic and very low latency but Alyx is just jittery and slow.

Again though GTX 970 (which is old) but also 8GB RAM (very very old)

Worth getting some RAM and seeing if that makes it usable?

Edit: actually re reading the last page it’s definitely RAM isn’t it

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 9, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aww. I kind of expected that to be honest but a GPU is a much more expensive upgrade than some RAM - at the moment I can’t really justify it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your old setup sounds super similar to what I have now yeah - my PC is basically a brand new PC away from being able to reliable handle VR (and probably new gen games)

I’m not really bummed about it - I got a Quest to have a quest but thought it would be cool to try how the Virtual Desktop stuff worked, was not expecting it to work as well as it did outside of games.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Am I missing something or is there a reason nobody mentioned Beat Saber

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

Imagine making a game where you chop at blocks to the tune of lovely electro pop and a few years later loving Facebook buys you out. What a world.

Well yeah because you can mod in all sorts of music, like lovely electro pop with japanese lyrics

Honestly if I have learned anything about myself it's that I actually love rhythm games but the music selection is extremely important. Beat Saber went from a good game to one of my favorites when I modded in. Guitar Hero/Rock band I liked from day 1 because they put in the effort to have some good songs and then DLC for more good songs (The Beat Saber DLC is not good)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Final Fantasy Theatrythm is kinda lovely as a game but having FF music and characters and letting me level them up turns out to make the game good

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I have not played Audica but people really like it and I believe they also make custom maps for it?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I found good prices on both a Rift S and Quest a 128gb today on craigslist and the 64gb quest is back in stock if I want to buy it new, and I still have to buy/build a new PC and I'm like agh this is so stressful. I just want to get in on the PCVR poo poo so bad and have the best experience. Seems like you guys have throughly landed on quest over rift S though I should probably go that route. Just worried about comfort/getting a lesser experience or whatever.

Yes I meant lighthouses/cameras. basically anything you have to install around the room.

No wires no light house no camera. I had a psVR I was borrowing and honestly I stopped using it because of the hassle which is why I immediately bought a quest when I could

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

This one maxes out whatever Mapping/Noodle extension does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQUpSRR90dY

The color theme is maybe a bit annoying.

Might introduce nausea, because it hides the far platform, which serves as kind of a visual anchor.

These don’t work on quest do they?

(It’s still the best game on the quest modded, enjoying it so so much)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Von Linus posted:

Ahoyhoy, I just got an oculus quest, and Beat Saber and Superhot VR. Is there anything else crazily worth playing? I did like the Room on my phone whenever it came out. Kind of wondering how long the VR version would last, is it completely different from The Room in terms of puzzles, and also are sales frequent?

You need to get one of the.. VR social games? I don't know what to call these. But VR chat, Rec Room, even Poker Stars. It's a pretty surreal experience if you've never done it before sitting and talking with other people in VR (or staying quiet and just watching). I think they're all free too.

If you end up liking Beat Saber a lot and wanting something similar take a look at Audica (Another music game) and Pistol Whip (Sort of a music game but also you shoot people in time to the music). I dunno what it is but the immersion of VR makes rhythm type games a much better experience for me

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I know this isn't really PC chat but I'm on a GTX 970 with 16 GB Ram, both of which are outdated - but also my CPU is an i5 from 2011. I've been steadily upgrading this PC in pieces but do you ever get to a point where you go gently caress it new PC time because too many pieces are the bottleneck

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I tend to do a CPU upgrade every other GPU upgrade, so my old PC was a CPU the same as yours with a 1080ti
It ran pretty much everything really, from Elite to iracing, it handled everything OK, I had 16 gb ram too, so it's pretty similar.
Because my upgrade cycle this time meant new CPU I now have a Ryzen 3900 and a 2080ti and yes it is better, but not like a night and day difference, my son has my old PC now with the CV1 and he plays Robo Recall, Lone Echo, Fallout 4 VR and other stuff with no issues at all.

If you go beyond a 1080ti the that CPU you'll see bottlenecks anyway, but if you threw a 1080 in your PC I think you'd be pleasantly surprised, I upgraded because I am a nerd, not because I had to
M.2 is nice to have and I do like it, but again it's not like a huge difference between the ones I have and an SSD

It does handle stuff ok when it isn't VR! But point taken on the 1080 - I never even considered I don't have to upgrade to the newest series :v:

I honestly don't see the need to upgrade at the moment because really every (not VR) game I play on PC still runs well on my PC. I'm sure it'll change when the new gen of consoles comes out and games start shooting for higher specs on PC because of it.

But yeah I will definitely see who is upgrading away from their 1080s later this year and try to pop it in and see what happens

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

On quest - if I upload beat saber to the latest version will I break the custom songs?

It looks like they added a LOT of new tracks which I’m curious to try

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

MussoliniB posted:

It did for me, but I played them and it' super easy to restore the quest back to it's previous settings and get everything back. I don't regret checking out the new songs.

Ah cool! Do they typically patch custom stuff to work on the new version or will I one day lose custom songs forever unless I revert? I'm ok losing temporary access to the custom stuff but I know with like, Vita hacking you could go too far and totally break it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Superhot does benefit from motion a bit though - I played standing in a decent sized space (not like... an empty basement) and was able to reach over and grab things in a cool way.

I also saw a video of a guy playing Pistol Whip wirelessly in "Ninja Mode" and he was literally running around slapping enemies and rolling out of the way of bullets. I was going to throw up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

This would almost certainly make me throw up