Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The Round of Sixteen is now underway!

https://www.cameo.com/v/5d9e5ae9a9cfbc0129cc7a1d

GENERAL QUESTIONS

How do I vote?

This year’s tournament will be a little different. 64 participants get a first round bye. The remaining 192 candidates are in first round triple threat matches. The 64 winners of those advance to the second round. Their second round opponents will be randomly determined.

You will have approximately 24 hours to vote for most of the early round match-ups (real life stuff can happen, of course). The first match-ups will be posted in a couple of days.

If you do not have a choice in a match up, you can choose to abstain. Please only do this as a last resort.

Special formatting request: Please only list the name of the person you are voting for from each match-up. This will be easier for me to count than bolding names from match-ups. I can work around this if necessary, but if you can vote by just listing the name of your choice, that would be great.

I don't like this wrestler but I don't know who the wrestler he's facing is! What should I do?!

Look the wrestler up!!! You very well may just become a fan of them.

Also if you dislike a wrestler just vote against him.

WHY IS ____ IN BUT NOT ____?

I TRIED REALLY HARD OKAY I AM SO SORRY

Can we post in this thread to persuade others to vote for certain wrestlers?

Yes. This is allowed and encouraged.

Why every 2 years? Why not every year?

This is a poo poo ton of work, and doing it every year would be kind of crazy. Unless………

Wait a second.... WHERE IS KAZUCHIKA OKADA?!

Kazuchika Okada was the winner of the 2015 Tournament. Like in previous years, the winner of the previous tournament gets a bye to the ULTRA FINALS to face the winner of this year’s tournament.

What the gently caress is this year’s theme?

Former mod and WH-128 organizer HulkaMatt. He was a good mod and is also a cool dude, please invite him to parties.

BIG THANKS AND SHOUTOUTS:

Weekly Font: for creating this tournament way back in 2007

HulkaMatt: for running every WH-128 since 2009, and for helping me with a few graphic requests

KungFu_Grip: for providing old images

GEORGE W BUSHI: for helping with some write-ups

Drew McIntyre: they know what they did

STONE COLD 64: they didn't do anything but we appreciate them all the same

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Here is the current bracket

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 9, 2019

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i'm glad that i could help make this all possible

Shayna Baszler fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 14, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

hm. this won't do. Delete tag teams as one person and replace Shane McMahon with Greg. the young bucks may have one entrant as they are functionally exactly the same person in every way other than one being more bald.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Special formatting request: Please only list the name of the person you are voting for from each match-up. This will be easier for me to count than bolding names from match-ups. I can work around this if necessary, but if you can vote by just listing the name of your choice, that would be great.

Jungle Kyona vs. Aussie Open, Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis vs. Cima

Jungle Kyona
Did not appear in 2017 WH-128

A relatively late starter in the world of joshi pro wrestling being only three years into her career at 28, the former leader of the Jungle Assault Nation has developed an unfortunate reputation as the "Hirooki Goto" of Stardom, more for her inability to translate golden opportunities into championship wins than for her in ring skills. An extremely talented powerhouse, Kyona's new alliance with the Tokyo Cyber Squad looks like a chance to turn around her bad luck, already capturing the Goddesses of Stardom Championship with partner Konami. Thanks to George W Bushi for his help with this profile!

Aussie Open, Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis

Aussie Open has been one of the top tag teams on the European scene for two years now, and is now picking up buzz to the point of that they’re receiving opportunities in PWG and New Japan. They had very good matches with the likes of James Drake & Zack Gibson, Best Friends, A-Kid & Carlos Romo, and G.O.D. Unfortunately, during BOLA weekend Mark Davis apparently tore his ACL just warming up.

CIMA

The Dragon Gate legend has had interesting past two years. He, along with El Lindman and T-Hawk, left DG to join Oriental Wrestling Entertainment in China. CIMA is now their head trainer. On the side, he’s appearing in AEW, where he had a great trios match with Lindman & T-Hawk against SCU, and then another great single match with Christopher Daniels. He’s also appearing in DDT and Fight Club: Pro.

Laredo Kid vs. Jungle Boy vs. Oney Lorcan

Laredo Kid

2019 is Laredo Kid’s coming out party. In addition to his great work in Mexico, he’s started to appear in the U.S. He’s had great matches in PWG, GCW, Impact, & MLW, and was also part of the trios match between The Elite & The Lucha Bros. at Fyter Fest. He also had an amazing singles match with El Hijo del Vikingo in AAA this past June.

Jungle Boy

Jungle Boy has largely been working solo on the indies, though he’s being slotted in AEW as half of the Jurassic Express. He’s talented regardless of his role, with seemingly endless charisma and an innate ability to generate sympathy. He’s also a very promising worker, with many well received matches in PWG, AEW and GCW, including a ****1/2 singles match against Jake Atlas. It’d be shocking if he’s not a future superstar.

Oney Lorcan

The former Biff Busick, Lorcan has been split between singles and tag action with his partner Danny Burch while bouncing around 205 Live, NXT, and NXT UK. In the past couple of months, he’s had hard hitting matches with Lio Rush, Humberto Carrillo, and Drew Gulak. He and Burch were also part of the great ladder match at TakeOver XXV in June.

Also, his theme song is played by the Washington Capitals whenever they score a goal, so that’s neat.

Jay Lethal vs. TinTin the Giant Panda vs. EVIL

Jay Lethal
Eliminated in Round 1 of 2017 WH-128 by Matt Hardy
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2015 by Seth Rollins
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2013 by Naomichi Marufuji
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2011 by Rey Mysterio
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2009 by The Brian Kendrick
Eliminated in Round 1 in 2007 by Claudio Castagnoli

Of the last five calendar years, Lethal has only not held the RoH World Title in 2017. He dropped the strap to Matt Taven at G1 Supercard, and has gone on to feud with Kenny King and then protégé Jonathan Gresham. He’s continued to have very good matches every step of the way, with his highlight match probably being his hour long draw with Taven at the 17th Anniversary Show.

TinTin the Giant Panda

Tsukasa Fujimoto shouldn’t have messed with TinTin. Tsukasa kissed TinTin’s husband, Andre-Za the Giant Panda, and left TinTin no option but to seek out revenge.

EVIL

Everything is EVILLLLLLLLLLL. His finishing move is EVILLLLLLLL. His tag team with Sanada is EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLL. His great run in the G1 Climax is EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLL. His fantastic matches this year with Ibushi, Okada, Ospreay, & Ishii have been EVILLLLLLLLLLL.

To repeat: everything is EVILLLLLLLLLLLL.

Io Shirai vs. Bea Priestley vs. Drew McIntyre

Io Shirai
Eliminated in Round 1 of 2017 WH-128 by KUSHIDA

After a seven-year run in Stardom, Shirai joined WWE in 2018, debuting in November for them. After a series where she was unable to get a fair match against Shayna Baszler and thus was unable to win the NXT Women’s Title, she turned heel on friend Candice LeRae and had an amazing match with her in August. Shirai’s one of the very best female workers in WWE today.

Bea Priestley

For better or for worse, Bea Priestley has long been defined by her relationship with her ever controversial boyfriend. In 2019, she has proven that she is her own woman, defeating Kagetsu to become the World of Stardom Champion and proclaiming herself Stardom's "Top Gaijin" after the departure of friend and rival, Toni Storm (though WWE's machinations meant that she never had the opportunity to prove that in the ring). Outside Japan, Bea was one of the first recruits to the AEW women's division and it's clear that her star will only continue to rise. Thanks to George W Bushi for his help with this profile!

Drew McIntyre
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by Braun Strowman

McIntyre’s been underutilized in WWE this year, primarily as the muscle for Shane McMahon, but he’s still one of the best working big men in the industry. Even with that, he’s had good matches this year with Ricochet, Cedric Alexander, and Roman Reigns, and he & Shane’s tag against Reigns & Undertaker was even well received. There’s continually rumors that Vince is holding him off for something big, so hopefully they’ll pull the trigger on that in the near future.

Rosemary/Courtney Rush vs. Speedball Mike Bailey vs. Akira Tozawa

Rosemary/Courtney Rush

In Impact, she’s known as Rosemary, a bizarre character who’s kind of an evil goth cheerleader type. On the indies, she generally works as Courtney Rush, a more typical character. Regardless, her character work, charisma, and ring work make her a strong female talent. She’s bounced back after missing most of 2018 due to an ACL tear, and was part of a solid four-way with Havok, Su Yung, and Taya Valkyrie.

Speedball Mike Bailey

Speedball should have been on his way to U.S. indie stardom back in 2015, as he was instantly a crowd favorite in front of PWG after debuting there. Unfortunately, in 2016, he made the mistake of coming in to the U.S. to work on a tourist’s visa, resulting in his ban from entering the country for five years.

This has lead to him pursuing opportunities elsewhere, and he’s made the best of it. He’s had great matches in wXw, WCPW, Defiant, and Riptide in the European scene, and he’s even become a DDT regular who often has great matches there. Recent highlights include singles matches against Bobby Gunns in wXw and Konosuke Takeshita in DDT.

Akira Tozawa
Eliminated in Round 2 of 2017 WH-128 by Kota Ibushi
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2015 by Kota Ibushi
Eliminated in Round 2 in 2013 by Kassius Ohno
Eliminated in Round 3 in 2011 by William Regal

Yes, Akira’s stuck in 205 Live hell. But he’s still an amazing wrestler, putting on great matches whenever given the opportunity. Look no further than this year’s matches with Buddy Murphy and Adam Cole, plus the various multi-man matches he’s been a key part of which have garnered praise. Just 34, he should be a great wrestler in his prime for a few more years.

Psycho Clown vs. Joey Janela vs. Nino Hamburguesa

Psycho Clown

We’re two years removed from Psycho Clown winning Dr. Wagner Jr.’s mask in the main event of Triplemania XXV. Psycho’s probably the best worker of the three now-former members of Los Psycho Circus. He’s decent in the ring, but isn’t going to have great matches on his own. However, with his size that’s unique in AAA, he can add a new element matches. I think he excels in trios matches in particular. This trios match from February is probably the best of his work this year. https://youtu.be/Z0dTtswYLos?t=2542

Joey Janela
Eliminated in Round 1 of 2017 WH-128 by Adam Cole

The Bad Boy of pro wrestling, Janela is one of the most unique talents in the game right now. He’s the namesake of a series of oddball “Spring Break” events and associated Lost in New York and Escape from L.A. shows, which feature everything from Dan Severn to death matches to Kikutaro to the family feud of Invisible Man vs. Invisible Stan. Even beyond that, Janela is a talent with a diversity of skills. He made his name doing crazy death matches, but he also had a great hour-long iron man match with David Starr at Beyond’s 2019 Americana show. Few indie wrestlers have been able to build a following like Janela, and his presence on AEW could provide an X-factor for their first year of existence.

Nino Hamburguesa

Nino is at the center of a months-long storyline in AAA centering on a love triangle between himself, Big Mami (the face), and Lady Maravilla (the heel). AAA doesn’t really do things like “advance storylines” at any real rate, but they’ve still managed to make this angle interesting. It helps that Hamburguesa possesses a weird charisma that makes him a great cult character. He’s also agile for his size, which helps make him able to go in trios matches.

The Dark Order, Evil Uno & Stu Grayson vs. Susumu Yokosuka vs. Tetsuya Endo

The Dark Order, Evil Uno & Stu Grayson

Formerly known as the Super Smash Bros., this tag team has been rechristened The Dark Order for their AEW run. This new gimmick hasn’t been the most warmly received in AEW, but they’re still capable of putting on good matches, as shown by their triangle tag against Jungle Boy & Luchasauras and Jack Evans & Angelico at Fight for the Fallen, and in PWG against Best Friends and Aramis & Rey Horus. If they can tweak their act to better fit what the fans want, they should be a major tag team for All Elite Wrestling.

Susumu Yokosuka

The Natural Vibes member is the current Open the Brave Gate Champion, winning it off Dragon Kid in March. A veteran of Dragon Gate at this point, he’s been praised for strong matches this year like his title defenses against U-T and Flamita, as well as his singles match with Shun Skywalker and his various multi-man match appearances.

Tetsuya Endo

Endo won the KO-D Openweight Championship by cashing in the Right to Challenge Anytime, Anywhere Gauntlets at DDT is Coming to America this past WrestleMania weekend.. His match with Konosuke Takeshita at July’s Peter Pan show has received rave reviews, although that’s where he lost the Openweight Championship. His match with Makoto Oishi in April was also well received.

Gentleman Jack Gallagher vs. Drago vs. LuFisto

Gentleman Jack Gallagher
Eliminated in Round 1 of 2017 WH-128 by Juice Robinson

Gallagher continues to be part of the 205 Live roster, combining his technical skills with comedy to be a unique member of the roster. He had a pair of four star matches with Chad Gable this past summer and continues to be a key part of 205 Live.

Drago

Drago’s best known for his run on Lucha Underground, but he’s currently a midcarder in AAA. He’s probably underused there, as he’s a very good flyer. He also has one of the coolest masks in wrestling. His best matches this year include his unsuccessful Latin American Championship defense against Vikingo, Myzteziz Jr., Aerostar, & Argenis, and a triangle match against Laredo Kid & Flamita.

LuFisto

LuFisto has long been one of the top women on the independent scene, breaking ground by partaking in intergender hardcore matches. She’s overcome a stroke and cervical cancer to continue her career. After initially announcing her retirement this year, she won the wXw Femme Fatales tournament and announced she was going to continue her career.

Jungle Kyona vs. Aussie Open, Kyle Fletcher & Mark Davis vs. Cima
Laredo Kid vs. Jungle Boy vs. Oney Lorcan
Jay Lethal vs. TinTin the Giant Panda vs. EVIL
Io Shirai vs. Bea Priestley vs. Drew McIntyre
Rosemary/Courtney Rush vs. Speedball Mike Bailey vs. Akira Tozawa
Psycho Clown vs. Joey Janela vs. Nino Hamburguesa
The Dark Order, Evil Uno & Stu Grayson vs. Susumu Yokosuka vs. Tetsuya Endo
Gentleman Jack Gallagher vs. Drago vs. LuFisto

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 15, 2019

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Jungle Kyona
Laredo Kid
EVIL
Io Shirai
Akira Tozawa
Psycho Clown
Tetsuya Endo
Abstain

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
As many as you like, though if it's a case of not knowing who the people are, I encourage taking some time on Youtube because watching wrestling is fun.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is Dalton Castle just a time traveling Stephen Colbert who took up wrestling at a young age instead of doing talk shows?

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Daniel Bryan should get a bye to the Grand Finals. he beat Okada last time! also the Dalton Castle cameo was good.

CIMA
Oney Lorcan
EVIL
Io Shirai
Speedball Mike Bailey
Psycho Clown
The Dark Order
Drago

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Jungle Kyona
Laredo Kid
EVIL
Io
Rosemary
Joey Janela
Tetsuya Endo
LuFisto

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I read the OP after asking my question, instead of the correct way, but it was too late and i got caught

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
Jungle Kyona
Jungle Boy
TinTin the Giant Panda
Io Shirai
Rosemary
Psycho Clown
Tetsuya Endo
LuFisto

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A lot of tough matchups right from the start

CIMA
Jungle Boy
EVIL
Bea Priestley
Rosemary
Psycho Clown
Dark Order
LuFisto

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Jungle Kyona
Laredo Kid
EVIL
Drew I guess
Speedball
Psycho Clown
Endo
LuFisto

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Chris James 2 posted:

A lot of tough matchups right from the start
It's probably not getting any easier.

Jungle Kyona
Laredo Kid
EVIL
Io Shirai
Speedball Mike Bailey
Joey Janela
The Dark Order
LuFisto

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

FIRST ROUND, PART ONE

Jungle Kyona
Oney Lorcan
EVIL
Drew McIntyre
Speedball Mike Bailey
Joey Janela
Tetsuya Endo
Drago

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Punch McLightning posted:

CIMA

Jungle Boy

EVIL

Drew McIntyre

Akira Tozawa

Joey Janela

Tetsuya Endo

Gentleman Jack Gallagher

I just went with people I had heard of + are cool and good, voting against the Dork Order would have been hard but fortunately one of the people I've never heard of in that one shares a last name with a good friend of mine

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 14, 2019

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

Muldoon
look could you guys please vote for the panda.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CIMA
Jungle Boy
EVIL
Io Shirai
Akira Tozawa
Psycho Clown
Susumu Yokosuka
Drago

Drew McIntyre posted:

look could you guys please vote for the panda.

Sorry, pandas are EVIL, everything is EVIL, them's the rules.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Jungle Kyona
Laredo Kid
EVIL
Bea Priestley
Speedball Mike Bailey
Psycho Clown
Tetsuya Endo
LuFisto

also in Jack Gallagher's bio there's some guy named Chad Gable? I've never heard of this guy before. Is he related to Shorty Gable or is it like how there are fifteen guys with the last name of Anderson?

Fad
Nov 13, 2002

I dont care.
Aussie Open
Oney Lorcan
Tin Tin the Giant Panda
Io Shirai
Speedball Mike Bailey
Joey Janela
Tetsuya Endo
LuFisto

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Jungle Kyona
Jungle Boy
EVILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Io Shirai
Akira Tozawa
Psycho Clown
Tetsuya Endo
Drago

I voted in this based on who I'd mark out for the hardest if they were to show up at a show I was at. Some real tough choices in this first part.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Jungle Kyona
Oney Lorcan
EVIL
Io Shirai
Akira Tozawa
Joey Janela
Abstain
Jack Gallagher

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

CIMA
Laredo Kid
Tintin
Io Shirai
Rosemary
Psycho Clown
Dark Order
Drago

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

CIMA
Jungle Boy
EVIL
Drew McIntyre
Akira Tozawa
Joey Janela
Tetsuya Endo
Jack Gallagher

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
CIMA
Jungle Boy
EVIL
Io Shirai
Akira Tozawa
Joey Janela
Dark Order
LuFisto

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

CIMA
Oney Lorcan
Jay Lethal
Bea Priestly
Akira Tozawa
Joey Janela
Dark Order
Gentleman Jack Gallagher

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Jungle Kyona
Laredo Kid
TinTin the Giant Panda
Bea Priestley
Speedball Mike Bailey
Psycho Clown
Tetsuya Endo
LuFisto

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Round 1.1

CIMA - a battle of people I've seen one match of, CIMA's was against Kenny Omega though so y'know
Jungle Boy - Oney's good but Jungle Jack Perry is the new hotness
EVIL - This poll is EVIL because everything is EVIL
Io Shirai - Bea has the potential to impress me in the future, Drew had the potential to impress me in the past, Io impresses me always
Akira Tozawa - Hi, I've heard of you
Joey Janela - I've never seen Psycho Clown takes thumbtacks to the feet
Tetsuya Endo - the Dark Order are laaaaaaaaaaaame
Drago - he's dressed like a loving dragon

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Aussie Open
ONEY LORCAN
EVIL
Io Shirai
Rosemary
Joey Janela
The Dark Order
LuFisto

Joey Janela yelled at me once so I'm voting for him as a form of apology for upsetting him.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

CIMA
Laredo Kid
TinTin
Bea Priestley
Speedball Mike Bailey
Nino Hamburguesa
Susumu Yokosuka
LuFisto

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
can we get an easy copy & paste match list after the big write ups?

Aussie Open
Oney Lorcan
EVIL
Io Shirai
Speedball Mike Bailey
Nino Hamburguesa
Dark Order
LuFisto

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

You’re an absolute loving madman and you will either appreciate this post breaking up the votes when you count them or it will throw you off.

Ty for the tribute I’ll vote later.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

HulkaMatt posted:

You’re an absolute loving madman and you will either appreciate this post breaking up the votes when you count them or it will throw you off.

Ty for the tribute I’ll vote later.

You're my favorite dead moderator.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Cima
Oney Lorcan
EVIL
Io Shirai
Akira Tozawa
Joey Janela
The Dark Order