Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Putty posted:

want some jerky dude

PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Ol Filbert
Jun 10, 2019

Devils Affricate posted:

You can also poo poo into your hands and smear it into your eyeballs, anything goes in the desert

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

contrary to the OP people dont really relate to any car related hobby.

maybe its just the cultural difference between Australia and the US (lol there isnt any) but cars are seen as a lower class/bogan thing mostly.

I know several people who are absolutely hipsters that recently discovered I was into cars and they opened up about how much they love it and have no one to talk to about it because its considered a lovely hobby.

I mean Im old enough to know that anyone that is prejudice on someones hobbies is kinda fuckin dumb but yeah I usually keep it off my dating profiles and poo poo like that because its immediately seen as the guy in a trashed out piece of poo poo doing burnouts for kicks as opposed to enjoying tinkering with mechanical stuff and occasionally enjoying going fast responsibly on a race track.

theres also an 'anti social' angle people go on about with the whole doing burnouts/drifting/dangerous driving but really its one of the most social things I do. I've been to heaps of events, meets and made friends through breaking/tuning cars and the culture around it more than ever is about making something that looks nice or is too fast to drive on the street. there is the occasional rear end in a top hat leaving a venue that does dumb poo poo but mostly we want to keep venue owners happy so we get asked to come back.

Im growing out of it in that i dont spend every spare dollar i have on it, but I still enjoy going to the track and racing the clock and improving my skills, or researching new modifications and parts to install to improve performance/reliability/safety.

people dont get it. then you convince them to come to a track day and ride shotgun while you do 200 down the straight and throw into turn 1 with a slight tap of the brakes and then they seem to get it.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 15, 2019

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
I've been a musician for 25 years but I also play a poo poo ton of pinball.
I don't care for tournament play because tp changes the rulesets on a lot of games and I like the long play strategy of stacking multipliers and getting to wizard modes with everything maxed out. My HS on funhouse is 120 million but it wouldn't have been possible without extra balls and funhouse frenzy. Plus I had to capture the ball and have a friend hold the flipper while I took a piss at one point. They don't allow that in tournament play. Also most leagues are made up of people who are there exclusively to gatekeep and infight.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Sounds to me like someone can't handle the pressure of the tournament environment :c00lbert:

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Laserface posted:

maybe its just the cultural difference between Australia and the US (lol there isnt any) but cars are seen as a lower class/bogan thing mostly.

I know several people who are absolutely hipsters that recently discovered I was into cars and they opened up about how much they love it and have no one to talk to about it because its considered a lovely hobby.

I mean Im old enough to know that anyone that is prejudice on someones hobbies is kinda fuckin dumb but yeah I usually keep it off my dating profiles and poo poo like that because its immediately seen as the guy in a trashed out piece of poo poo doing burnouts for kicks as opposed to enjoying tinkering with mechanical stuff and occasionally enjoying going fast responsibly on a race track.

theres also an 'anti social' angle people go on about with the whole doing burnouts/drifting/dangerous driving but really its one of the most social things I do. I've been to heaps of events, meets and made friends through breaking/tuning cars and the culture around it more than ever is about making something that looks nice or is too fast to drive on the street. there is the occasional rear end in a top hat leaving a venue that does dumb poo poo but mostly we want to keep venue owners happy so we get asked to come back.

Im growing out of it in that i dont spend every spare dollar i have on it, but I still enjoy going to the track and racing the clock and improving my skills, or researching new modifications and parts to install to improve performance/reliability/safety.

people dont get it. then you convince them to come to a track day and ride shotgun while you do 200 down the straight and throw into turn 1 with a slight tap of the brakes and then they seem to get it.

OP specified restoring vintage cars, which is an entirely different beast than tuning/modifying boring normal rear end modern cars.

Like, I don't give two shits if you get an extra 10 horsepower because you installed some after-market part, but most people are at least nominally interested in something like a shiny "new" 57 bel air.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
I collect but never play Swedish tabletop rpgs

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

sweet thursday posted:

Sounds to me like someone can't handle the pressure of the tournament environment :c00lbert:

I mean.. I'm ranked but I don't go out of my way to do tournament play. I'll usually sign up for a tournament during a show or something but not every week or even month. I'll maybe do two or three a year.
Maybe it's different other places but my local group is made up of really obnoxious old guys who post on pinside all day and bring there forums drama to meetups. It's just not fun.

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Putty posted:

Ground beef. I also use eye round sometimes but it's typically harder to make since I don't have a slicer and my butcher doesn't either somehow.

No I like to use garlic powder or make chilli lime.

You need a jerky board. They can be tricky to use at first but I haven't needed a slicer since I got the hang of it.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Gay Weed Dad posted:

You need a jerky board. They can be tricky to use at first but I haven't needed a slicer since I got the hang of it.

I used to make a lot of jerky too and I never knew this existed. I always just did the cuts by hand. Thank you.

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Prospecting and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w84VlmF50gQ

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high

Jay_Zombie posted:

I used to make a lot of jerky too and I never knew this existed. I always just did the cuts by hand. Thank you.

You're quite welcome! They are tricky to use for sure but you'll be impressed once you get it down. This video helped immensely:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2F9OVschSA

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

time to get one of these and start making my own steak-umms

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Your Salisbury jerky is freaking weird man.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Pretty interesting. I might get one or make something similar at home. The fact that they're not cutting against the grain is annoying me though lol that makes your jerky tough.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Tough jerky can be good as gently caress tho. There is a place for tasty tender jerky and for tough stuff you can enjoy for a while.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Got into carpentry a while back. Been making various knick-knacks like candle holders, cat houses, etc. Normal fry stuff I thought, but every time I get an idea for something I want to try and make, my roommate insists I should just buy one instead of wasting time and energy, and when I explain that I want to learn a skill and the satisfaction that comes with it, he just does that head turn thing that dogs do.

I also make my own cordage from stinging nettles which is slightly brain wormier. I just like being self-sufficient I guess V:shobon:V

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Resting Lich Face posted:

Some species don't have queens. The reproducing females in those species are called, I poo poo you not, gamergates.

Lmfao

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

im sure someone brought that up to me at some point in the last few years but re-learning the name is a pun almost gave me a stroke

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
And they said a biology degree would be useless.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I make jerky but I don’t consider it a hobby it’s just something I do because I like to eat jerky.

Also my jerky doesn’t look like cat poo poo so I guess some goons in here wouldn’t like it

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Gimme that beefy goodness :jerky:

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
OP what makes a "worm brain hobby" vs "normal brain hobby"? I've got "poo poo" for brains if that helps?

Putty posted:

Pretty interesting. I might get one or make something similar at home. The fact that they're not cutting against the grain is annoying me though lol that makes your jerky tough.

I had always heard with the grain makes it sinewy and against makes it tough- so I've always gone the tough route. Get/make one that is non-porous though; a friend got a wooden one on Amazon and wouldn't stop complaining about how hard it was to clean.

bird with big dick posted:

I make jerky but I don’t consider it a hobby it’s just something I do because I like to eat jerky.

Also my jerky doesn’t look like cat poo poo so I guess some goons in here wouldn’t like it

:hfive:
That's some against the grain jerk!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I eat rear end

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

vyst posted:

I eat rear end

Pinworms yummy!

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I do sim racing. I'm very bad at it.
I also like loving with 3D printers. I'm pretty bad at that as well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I do nothing with worm brains, and even if I did (which you can't prove) all of those experiments were perfectly legal in the counties they (allegedly) took place in.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Laserface posted:

I'm completely with you on the attitude towards cars in general; I really am not interested in performance tuning or lowering the body or (ugh) carbon fiber wrapping. I don't really care much for any car stuff, but I am at least able to understand the appeal in fixing something up and restoring it, which is why I made the comparison to vintage cars. If people get really into their car tuning, though, I can kind of sympathize too, even though I really don't care for it. At least here in Buttworld USA, the average person is aware of the idea of someone doing garage stuff in their spare time as a hobby.

Increasingly though I bet the classic car restoration is being seen as a boomer thing. Harley Davidson bicycles have been far in that territory for a long time.

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 15, 2019

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

MustardFacial posted:

I also like loving with 3D printers. I'm pretty bad at that as well.

I used to do this at my job and have been trying to get a full-time position just 3D printing. Can't find much!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Putty posted:

I used to do this at my job and have been trying to get a full-time position just 3D printing. Can't find much!

Maybe go into business yourself?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Laserface posted:

What trashed out piece of poo poo do you own

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Hatsune Mike posted:

I'm completely with you on the attitude towards cars in general; I really am not interested in performance tuning or lowering the body or (ugh) carbon fiber wrapping. I don't really care much for any car stuff, but I am at least able to understand the appeal in fixing something up and restoring it, which is why I made the comparison to vintage cars. If people get really into their car tuning, though, I can kind of sympathize too, even though I really don't care for it. At least here in Buttworld USA, the average person is aware of the idea of someone doing garage stuff in their spare time as a hobby.

Increasingly though I bet the classic car restoration is being seen as a boomer thing. Harley Davidson bicycles have been far in that territory for a long time.

The other poster was right to a degree that vintage cars are sort of like the 'acceptable' sub genre of the hobby as its plays on the nostalgia factor, its a labor of love and theres less and less Mustangs or Camaros al every year. People definitely appreciate classic cars more than a modern car with a bunch of fake carbon fiber and huge wings and stuff - I hate that poo poo too. A lot of that stuff on street cars is aping actual fast track cars, which I do enjoy (because its a functional thing). World Time Attack Challenge is on this weekend some of those cars have wings bigger than than some light aircraft.

Admittedly I am in the older bracket when it comes to car guys (33) in the current Japanese car scene, so I have absolutely tamed when it comes to the styling modifications. I used to plaster stickers on everything and being a bit loud visually was a fun thing to do.

Nowadays I keep the body clean, put some nice wheels on and Ive put a few small stickers on my rear window that were souvenirs from all the countries Ive been to. I still see my car as a small way of expressing myself, and if you care about something and enjoy it, it usually takes on part of that anyway. My snowboard is covered in stickers from bands I like - it makes for fun conversation in lift lines, and Ive made friends on the hill just because someones seen a band and gone 'Motorhead? gently caress yeah dude!'

the point I was trying to make is that people very quickly assume 'car guy' puts you in that category which in the US is the 'tuner guy with a slammed car and terrible paint and non functional aero'. Here, that is 'guy with a mullet ripping burnouts and being an rear end in a top hat with a loud car'. You can be a regular car guy that just enjoys turning wrenches and driving fast and being sensible about it, but people dont really ever start at the bottom and build up the expectation, they start at the top and it can be hard to bring it back down.

Like, Im a reasonably normal person, I just grew up helping my dad work on stuff, enjoy fixing things, working with tools and learning things that save me money. my ex never understood car culture until she met me, and went from thinking it was all idiots being idiots to appreciating and understanding the fun and the skill involved in not only building but also just driving. she now drives stick, does her own servicing and occasionally sends me photos of cool cars she sees around town.

bird with big dick posted:

What trashed out piece of poo poo do you own

I have a factory standard Mitsubishi Evolution 10 with some nice wheels on it and an OK stereo.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Resting Lich Face posted:

Maybe go into business yourself?

Profiting as an individual is pretty much dead now. At most I could make chump change selling bits and baubles. There are 3D printing facilities out there so I just sent my papers to those people and pray.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Putty posted:

Profiting as an individual is pretty much dead now. At most I could make chump change selling bits and baubles. There are 3D printing facilities out there so I just sent my papers to those people and pray.

Fair enough. You'd know more about it than I would.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Putty posted:

Have you tried Protolabs or Solid Concepts? I don't know your location, but there are tons of places that do it on an industrial scale and a lot of them are looking for people.

There's even a giant move towards printing metal surgical implants right now, so you should be able to find a spot as that becomes more mainstream.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
<-- see username.

Nerding out about rollercoasters and theme parks has been a hobby of mine since I was like ten. I can look at pretty much any rollercoaster in the continental US and tell you at least five facts about it just based on the shape of the track and what color its painted. Unfortunately most of the people in the "coaster community" are more interested in arguing about which coaster is "better" (much like dogs, they're all good as long as they don't kill you) or dick swinging about who has more "credits." Not really the kind of people you really want to go hang out with for eight hours at a theme park, so I just drag normal people along at every opportunity and make them ride everything in sight.

I also post on the Something Awful forums.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Rollercoasters are great. Except woodies.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My son is taking a glass blowing class, because why not I guess. It’s at a community college as part of his electives somehow. Anyways he brings home his rejects and gives them to me bc I love him.

Glass made today with too shallow bottom that cracked

4 bubble “snowman”, he had a six one, but kept it because it was hard to stack that many to make it tall. We laughed.

Boy has a future, if industrial robotics doesn’t work out.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Nice dildo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
It’s a lot of glass to take, if you’re not prepared