Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The first real failure was 201 when Comedy Central didn't let them show Mohammad again, but that was external so you couldn't blame the show.

"You're Getting Old" was the most honest and real episode they ever did, and they should have made it a surprise Series Finale instead of backpedaling immediately. That backpedal was the "jump the shark" moment.

While I'm sure there have been decent episodes since--and lord knows their reflexive contrarianism is got them a boost in the last few weeks--ever since "You're Getting Old" they've clearly aged out of whatever spark they originally had and are keeping the show going mostly to keep all their work friends employed.

Honestly not worth getting worked up about though. If the people of Hong Kong find them helpful then poo poo who are we to deny them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe
Season 15 is where they just gave up and went pure shock value, with nothing
to lighten the mood from one episode to the next, with a bunch of filler episodes for depressed Stan after they continued the broken season.

That's when I stopped watching. Bass to Mouth was good, but the only work of art for the whole season was Broadway Bro-Down.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Broadway Bro-Down was pretty funny imo yeah in the same way that the shake weight one was at the end when Randy's like "Oh, wow, an old fashion"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Gaunab posted:

Going through old episodes, it's surprising how against climate change they were and for how long.

They seem staunchly anti choice for libertarians too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Julius CSAR posted:

South Park isn't just bad it's dangerous. Like, it's probably the number one culprit of normalizing antisemitism in the 21st century.

This is probably also true. Anyway, it got bad at right around the point Simpsons did. Post season 8, starting off with mr garrisons fancy new vagina and continuing with die hippy, die. Wolf. There were good/great episodes that season but those two are bad bad bad

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

It made the whole bono is a turd thing out of thin air, the show dies have some serious culture sway.

The crack baby basketball episode is perfect television. Who knows maybe the China thing will shake up the show enough to be good again, been a while since anyone's watched it.

People have been hating bono for a loooooong time, bro.

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 15, 2019

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
south park was cool when it was on that tiger woods playstation cd back in '99 but then they sold out and it was loving lame

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Blaming anti-semitism on a show thats made fun of everyone. Yup. The show makes fun of blacks, whites, asians, hispanics, short people, tall people, fat people, gay people, straight people.

But no, it's clearly an anti-jew thing.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
About the time I figured out they were libertarians. I think 14 or 15.

Edit: 14 or 15 years of age, to be clear. Not talking about seasons.

Nice Guy Patron fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 15, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It got truly bad when you couldnt watch it for free on their website

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

South Park is always good. But sometimes its not as good as itself.

South Park and Always Sunny in Philadelphia are better than anything else on TV. Even qhen the shows miss their mark and aren't good, they are better than the rest of the garbage.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

season 14 had creme fraiche and then the next season had funnybot and i think that was the last good episode i remember

i distinctly remember the one where the special ed kids go to summer camp being really really bad

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

South park is bizarre in that when I watch it it's either hilarious or painfully unfunny and I won't know which until I watch it.

And I dont mean in general. I mean the same episode can flip that hard on me.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

South park is bizarre in that when I watch it it's either hilarious or painfully unfunny and I won't know which until I watch it.

And I dont mean in general. I mean the same episode can flip that hard on me.

Yeah that's fair. There's been plenty of episodes that I just check out and watch something else.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

Blaming anti-semitism on a show thats made fun of everyone. Yup. The show makes fun of blacks, whites, asians, hispanics, short people, tall people, fat people, gay people, straight people.

But no, it's clearly an anti-jew thing.

Also Matt Stone is a jew and one of the early seasons had Jewbilee, which was hilarious and not at all anti-semitic, while poking fun at a bunch of jewish stereotypes

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Broken Machine posted:

Also Matt Stone is a jew and one of the early seasons had Jewbilee, which was hilarious and not at all anti-semitic, while poking fun at a bunch of jewish stereotypes

Glowy giant face Moses going "WAAAAAAHHHH" is just awesome

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Boondocks is a much better edgy comedy show and it's not animated in Microsoft PowerPoint

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Colonel Cancer posted:

Boondocks is a much better edgy comedy show and it's not animated in Microsoft PowerPoint

Both things have their moments imo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

Surprisingly enough they use Maya, and have a huge development team of good animators. One of the comedy central producers once said it was as close as you could get to live television with an animated show, because often they didn't finish it up until just before airing; they'd finish rendering a few hours before, sometimes less. That's why sometimes the first broadcast is slightly different than the final cut. I think they do this less now that they're older but yeah.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
South Park started going downhill for me once Chef was killed off. I have only watched a few episodes in the last decade.

Bodhidharma fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 15, 2019

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
The show is up there with monty python for inspiring horrible nerds to attempt impressions

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Bodhidharma posted:

South Park started going downhill for me once Chef was killed off. I haven't watched many episodes in about a decade.

That ep was lame, but they kind of had to write him out though; Isaac Hayes was a scientologist, and got pissed off and quit in a huff after their scientology episode (which was fairly funny). The scientologists' lawyers scared them enough that it's the only time no real names were listed in the credits

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Every time an adult human being tells me to "watch the South Park episode about that" I don't know if I want to die or if I want them to die or if maybe everybody should die but I've certainly had enough, thanks for listening.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Animal-Mother posted:

Every time an adult human being tells me to "watch the South Park episode about that" I don't know if I want to die or if I want them to die or if maybe everybody should die but I've certainly had enough, thanks for listening.

Most of those people prolly just enjoy the absurdity of whatever the thing is and maybe it's not worth getting mad about much like getting mad about the absurdity of the Futurama tofu lion

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I haven't even watched South Park in about a decade, but the first five seasons or so are pretty good. Just like any other show that goes on for decades, it's time for it to end but it still makes money so they keep making eps. Simpsons should have ended about 15 years ago too

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Bodhidharma posted:

South Park started going downhill for me once Chef was killed off. I have only watched a few episodes in the last decade.

Probably kind of worked out for them though. Since they did the Scientology episode and Isaac Hayes was already in poor health then (It's not to clear if he actually "quit" or if someone else quit for him) and he died not too long after.

He went out in style in a comedic way in South Park instead of a sad mopey the guy who voiced Chef died. And in a lot of ways, the show where they killed off Chef, was also in a way, Matt & Trey understanding why Isaac Hayes wasn't going ot be doing the show anymore.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

They have never been anti climate change. In the imaginationland episodes "manbearpig" an analogue for climate change is literally tearing people apart limb from limb, spilling blood and destroying all in its path and everyone argues about what to call it. They make al gore wear a cape because its an irreverent cartoon.

I really thought PC principal was a hilarious and resonant character. Its an example of how even people with progressive views can be horrible arrogant bullies.

South Park is fine.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
when you started watching it, OP

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
South Park has always been extremely hit or miss, but occasionally they really knock it out of the park. The most frustrating thing about (other than its annoying fans) it is that the best episodes are almost always the "kids being kids" episodes, and Matt and Trey know this, but they seem unable to stop themselves from using the show as a mouthpiece.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The_Continental posted:

They have never been anti climate change. In the imaginationland episodes "manbearpig" an analogue for climate change is literally tearing people apart limb from limb, spilling blood and destroying all in its path and everyone argues about what to call it. They make al gore wear a cape because its an irreverent cartoon.

I really thought PC principal was a hilarious and resonant character. Its an example of how even people with progressive views can be horrible arrogant bullies.

South Park is fine.

Well, the hate from it is because of the episode before where Al Gore introduced the possibility of Manbearpig and Al Gore being portrayed as as a crazy person.

Also, the trilogy is literally imaginationland, so even though Manbearpig was killing a bunch of people, it's because it's an imaginary creature.

But they did basically say they were wrong in the 2 part episode last season, so I don't see why anyone still gets upset about it now.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

South Park has always been extremely hit or miss, but occasionally they really knock it out of the park. The most frustrating thing about (other than its annoying fans) it is that the best episodes are almost always the "kids being kids" episodes, and Matt and Trey know this, but they seem unable to stop themselves from using the show as a mouthpiece.

The anime ninja episode was fantastic

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I admit I was one of those people that bought into South Park's political and current events views back in my teenager days.

But, wow, they just have not held up well at all and its embarrassing to look back at how wrong they were on some things. The example I always use is the "Canada on Strike" episode where Canadians refuse to work because they want "Internet Money". It's a clear criticism on the 07-08 writer's strike that happened because they wanted a greater share of digital sales. Now, those same writers went on strike 20 years before and didn't seriously negotiate home video sales and got screwed over hard because of how that market exploded. They just did not want to make the same mistake again.

But, Stone and Parker just went "lol Internet lol" and here we are 10+ years later with Netflix and all those streaming service challenging studios. They always took a massive generalization of a complicated issue (that is not hard to look into) thinking everyone else were idiots. It just makes them look like the idiots down the road. They also did something similar with the YouTube episode thinking it was ridiculous those viral video stars wanted a payday. Look at what happened down the road.

I could go on, don't watch their social or political commentary episodes just stick to stuff like the LOTR episode where its just dumb absurd fun.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 15, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Julius CSAR posted:

The anime ninja episode was fantastic

That was 8 and it was very good. I mean even without the anime segments it would have been good. It's just a solid self contained story with a smattering of social commentary.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

But they did basically say they were wrong in the 2 part episode last season, so I don't see why anyone still gets upset about it now.

I'm sure all those thirty-something people who've been preaching that "global warming is bullshit!" for a decade now pretty much solely because they saw Man-Bear-Pig at a dumb young age 1) still watch South Park, 2) can still be swayed by South Park instead of just going 'ugh, South Park finally sold out!' and 3) would ever admit to anyone, even themselves that, yeah, a cartoon was what made up their minds for them on this big-rear end issue.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I have a pathological need to keep watching until it's cancelled, but I haven't wanted to rewatch an episode in 4-5 seasons, so I guess that's my cut off point.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I actually had to consciously hold myself back after the China episode because, even though Chinese censorship is an issue, I knew reverting back to my 21-year old centrist self was possible.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Colonel Cancer posted:

Did you know, it's possible for both south park AND anime to be bad?! Woah.

Impossible. Only one thing at a time can be bad. Now get back out there and embrace the wisdom of Hayao Miyazaki Thought :colbert:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I liked the one with Randy's giant, microwaved balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16RCvtziXj0

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

The Losing Edge is probably one of my favorite "kids being kids" episodes. It spoke to me as a kid who wanted to play video games instead of sports and it's a pretty good Randy episode too.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Julius CSAR posted:

South Park isn't just bad it's dangerous. Like, it's probably the number one culprit of normalizing antisemitism in the 21st century.

pardon me but my name a borat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
It jumped the shark the precise moment it didn't say my own opinions at me.