Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

cant cook creole bream posted:

To be fair, a lot of the time, it's the same footage with four camera angles, which would stretch that out quite a bit.

Fair point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

To be fair, a lot of the time, it's the same footage with four camera angles, which would stretch that out quite a bit.

Yeah maybe that's how they reached that number although that's a bit cheap. Regardless it FEELS like there is so much video and story in this game. Plenty, really.

According to some, a single playthrough is only about 6 hours (seems low to me, especially if you like checking out the rushes/ads and seeing how your broadcast went but a completionist playthrough, to make all the different choices and see all the different videos would take around 35 hours. Which is a lot.

Crazy Neil is loving awesome btw. I did that company as my stock choice because he seemed the least evil, and I'm very very pleased with that choice.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1768530/MIYAMOTO_S/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256853369/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1636669121

quote:

MIYAMOTO is a single player card game with a miniature board.
Game art is simple and oriental world with Samurai.
Open the box of the board game and you will be dive into a world of miniatures!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1791820/Zeitgeist/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256860953/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1637285230

quote:

Equipped with your pot plant companion, travel through the roots of time delving into the past and present depths of an ancient submerged city. Exploring grand halls, navigating between walls, and taking advantage of ancient mechanisms on your mission to steal the heart of the city.
I like the developer name: '[SAMPLE TEXT] Studios Ltd.'

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Grabbed Vampire Survivors per reccomends here, and why is this stupid game so engaging?

The best way I can describe it is if there was a Castlevania live action movie coming out in 2003, and this was the flash tie-in game to get you interested. But polished to a high sheen

It feels like some of the art assets were tweaked just enough to be legally distinct from the art from Castlevania games - which is kind of fun.

One small thing I don't like is the sound for taking damage. It's too quiet and "light" to fight against all the other bleep bloop sounds.

But there was an update just yesterday I think, where they added another play area and a character or two to unlock.

Probably the best $3 I've spent in a long time.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

CzarChasm posted:

I read that the creator was surprised by how popular the game has become and I actually feel kind of bad for only paying him $3 at this point.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Play posted:

Crazy Neil is loving awesome btw. I did that company as my stock choice because he seemed the least evil, and I'm very very pleased with that choice.

Crazy Neil was my guy too. In a world of uncertainty, he was my rock.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

CzarChasm posted:

Grabbed Vampire Survivors per reccomends here, and why is this stupid game so engaging?

The best way I can describe it is if there was a Castlevania live action movie coming out in 2003, and this was the flash tie-in game to get you interested. But polished to a high sheen

It feels like some of the art assets were tweaked just enough to be legally distinct from the art from Castlevania games - which is kind of fun.

One small thing I don't like is the sound for taking damage. It's too quiet and "light" to fight against all the other bleep bloop sounds.

But there was an update just yesterday I think, where they added another play area and a character or two to unlock.

Brain chemicals go brrrrrrr

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Vampire Survivors is just Powerwash Simulator but with monsters send reply

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

the bloodborne PSX demake has been released

https://twitter.com/b0tster/status/1488195375248805889

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kharon's Crypt - Even Death May Die

quote:

Nonlinear dungeon crawler metroidvania full of puzzles & challenges. Inspired by old GameBoy Color games with Retro Pixel Art Aesthetics.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256787839/movie480_vp9.webm

This one's been out in early access for a while but just officially released today. 100% positive based on 40 reviews.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ultrafilter posted:

This one's been out in early access for a while but just officially released today. 100% positive based on 40 reviews.

This looks dope, I think i'll try it in the next few days.

I really wish people would stop calling top-down adventure games Metroidvanias, though. Neither Metroid nor Castlevania are top-down adventure games. When did this become a trend? I see people doing it a lot lately.

It's slightly more annoying than calling everything that has a sub-menu w/ items you equip an RPG.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I've tried tagging some games like that as Zeldalikes, but for whatever reason that never sticks.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

BabyRyoga posted:

This looks dope, I think i'll try it in the next few days.

I really wish people would stop calling top-down adventure games Metroidvanias, though. Neither Metroid nor Castlevania are top-down adventure games. When did this become a trend? I see people doing it a lot lately.

It's slightly more annoying than calling everything that has a sub-menu w/ items you equip an RPG.

I think people have sort of come to see the defining characteristic of metroidvanias as being the non-linear progression where you unlock new areas by getting abilities or gear, not necessarily being a side view platformer. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sidescrollers are metroidvanias

top-downers are metalgearblastermasterofzeldas

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hwurmp posted:

top-downers are metalgearblastermasterofzeldas

Crystalises

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

How much of the game does this demake cover?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Can't fool me, this is just Nightmare Creatures.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

How much of the game does this demake cover?

Up through Cleric Beast and Father G.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ultrafilter posted:

Kharon's Crypt - Even Death May Die

I'm enjoying this from the little I've played but it has a limited save system (exactly like ink ribbons in Resident Evil) which might irk some people. I can't play a little bit and quit, I gotta commit to a session lest I use up one of my precious saves.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Lakbay posted:

I'm enjoying this from the little I've played but it has a limited save system (exactly like ink ribbons in Resident Evil) which might irk some people. I can't play a little bit and quit, I gotta commit to a session lest I use up one of my precious saves.

I was interested in that game, but this really does irk me. People have stuff to do and might need to abort such a session. At least do thst thing where it saves on exiting and deletes that save the next time you play.
Is there a good reason for that, or is it just to annoy me?

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

In slight defense of this (not really) you are able to buy the save items from merchants and gold does respawn if you move two rooms over.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The price of the save item increases each time you buy it so that’s pretty damning. There hasn’t been a good gameplay justification for the limited saves yet either (just beat first boss and got first progression item)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah I am not a fan of that. Just because you're going for a retro look and feel for your game does NOT mean you have to put every single bad thing about retro games into it.

Hell even most gbc games could save plenty you just had to be in a certain area. They might be few and far between but you could still save as much as you wanted.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I ran into that recently with Beard Blade. It is an extremely faithful take on SNES-era platformers, and really offers a reminder of how far we've come since then.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Attack of the Giant Crab

quote:

Take control of the Giant Crab and cause the maximum amount of destruction while brushing off the military's puny attempts to stop you.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256831822/movie480_vp9.webm

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lakbay posted:

The price of the save item increases each time you buy it so that’s pretty damning. There hasn’t been a good gameplay justification for the limited saves yet either (just beat first boss and got first progression item)

ugh, that sounds terrible. The last game I played with limited saves was The Count Lucanor, but the cost of saving your game stays consistent and you get a save item as part of the reward for completing almost every significant puzzle/stealth section, so it was relatively painless there

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I know how to make the idea worse! Let's have microtransactions for lootboxes which may contain save items.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

I know how to make the idea worse! Let's have microtransactions for lootboxes which may contain save items.

You're hired

.random
May 7, 2007

But the save items are also NFTs for waifus and by using the save item, you lose the NFT and the waifu cries and immediately covers up her heaving bosom in mourning.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

.random posted:

But the save items are also NFTs for waifus and by using the save item, you lose the NFT and the waifu cries and immediately covers up her heaving bosom in mourning.

If she get to upset, she will die from the longnterm effects of her forced vaccination.

Goon Project?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

If she get to upset, she will die from the longnterm effects of her forced vaccination.

Goon Project?

Only if you want goons to creep the NFT waifus off the face of the internet. Would be great if goons were that weird and horny for all NFT's, they'd scare gary v underground within a year.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1661640/Tough_Law/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256858319/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1635713217

quote:

A beat ‘em up adventure with paperboard style characters in which you can punch a lot and feel your adrenaline soar with so much action and rock and roll!
Cool gimmick of paper cutouts, must be pretty content poor as it only costs .99. Positive reviews

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1431170/Pepo/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256823171/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1613969833

quote:

Pepo is a 2D platformer shooting game that fights boss by firing three colors. Join Pepo's adventure of meeting mutant bosses on the extinct planet and leaving to find Pepo's home!
Not yet finished according to the game info.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1856550/Magnus_Imago/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256866047/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1640632793

quote:

Magnus Imago is an atmospheric journey through a mysterious world of characters, traces and symbols. The task of the player is to solve the puzzles, using proper combinations of objects, finding them in the environment around him.
Not really sure what this is

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Holy poo poo, this is giving me heavy The Sea Will Claim Everything vibes but slightly darker & more serious. The Sea Will Claim Everything absolutely deserves the "more like this" comparison to Disco Elysium that Steam might feed you, the writing is lighter and more fun but absolutely incredible. Check out the free games on their website here if you're skeptical. I'll be checking this one out, definitely look at some of the Kyratzes's games if they look at all interesting to you, especially "The Fabulous Screech" if you've lost a beloved pet at some point.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sorry to say, but it's been done
https://youtu.be/CSQIdTE3Npo

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SHitS!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Looks like it's epic store only, but Sifu (super complex martial arts roguelike) came out in Early Access. I'm sure everyone's seen something about that one before.

Looks like it actually comes out in two days on epic but is available for Playstation now.

treat posted:

Holy poo poo, this is giving me heavy The Sea Will Claim Everything vibes but slightly darker & more serious. The Sea Will Claim Everything absolutely deserves the "more like this" comparison to Disco Elysium that Steam might feed you, the writing is lighter and more fun but absolutely incredible. Check out the free games on their website here if you're skeptical. I'll be checking this one out, definitely look at some of the Kyratzes's games if they look at all interesting to you, especially "The Fabulous Screech" if you've lost a beloved pet at some point.

Cool! That looks super interesting I'll have to check that out. Let me know what you think of the one I posted, I haven't played it.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

treat posted:

The Sea Will Claim Everything absolutely deserves the "more like this" comparison to Disco Elysium that Steam might feed you

this is a really convenient way to find games i have no interest whatsoever in playing

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Glad I’m not the only one who read it like that at first

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Animation test looking rear end game

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Play posted:

Looks like it's epic store only, but Sifu (super complex martial arts roguelike) came out in Early Access. I'm sure everyone's seen something about that one before.

I'm hoping this comes to steam eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I read a review of Sifu and it sounds neat but my takeaway was “punishingly hard with sometimes sketchy controls”, yikes.