Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

Wildermyth is a tactical RPG very similar to Gloomhaven - you build a party, and go out and chase down monsters to fight as part of an overall plot. What sets it apart from a bunch of similar tactics RPGs is that a) it's very well done and simple without being simplistic; and b) your party changes and makes decisions and grows older as you move through the plot. Characters have personalities, which drives how they talk in cut scenes, and creates new story hooks for side plots and interactions.

It's still in early access, but it has two playable campaigns so far, and their current roadmap includes two more campaigns and more customization and interactivity for characters.

this looks gameplay wise like exactly what I want but the art style is atrocious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

al-azad posted:

Lol I’m glad Sentinels is penetrating the video game market because board gamers have been saying “good game, bad art” for over a decade.

it's a terrible board game.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

itty bitty baby boy posted:

Hi, I just released a game called Wintermoor Tactics Club on Steam.

I think it's cool! That's probably not surprising. We actually got an 82 on Metacritic, which is dope as hell. It's kinda like Persona 4, but 1/4th as long, and with Into The Breach-combat instead of old-Final-Fantasy combat. Plus, it's got a little discount for launch week.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917840/Wintermoor_Tactics_Club/

This looks awesome and I will get it when it releases on switch!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I really enjoyed the run with the first character and will probably check out the brawl mode.

I'm not sure I'm feeling the second character's gameplay but I want to because the story seems cool!

is there progression (upgrades, unlocked cards, etc) that persist across runs? or do you start 100% fresh each run?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I found this Othercide review enough to put me off the game, at least for now:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/cublikefoot/recommended/798490/

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

the board game is mediocre at best but swept board game awards so thoroughly last year that people still joke about it winning awards for "best board game podcast" and "best coop game." it is neither a podcast nor a coop game.

my group played it 3 times and has zero desire to play more.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

there is a very loud and very annoying school of thought in current gaming criticism where making games that are not violent, confrontational, or even particularly exciting or intense in any way is held an inherently superior and ethical approach to game design.

I am much more plugged into the board game than video game scene so this is the first I've heard of this.

Mainly, I just don't think Wingspan has interesting choices. There are 4 rounds, each with one fewer main action. First round has 7, last has 4. Each round has a random short term goal that gives you enough points that pursuing it is worthwhile, so that directs your focus for the first 2.5-3 rounds. the last 1-1.5 rounds, though, mostly consists of taking the "lay eggs" action over and over, cause each egg is worth 1 VP, and in our ~3 games x 4 players plays, no one could find an action that gave more points/action.

So most of the game you're focused on short term goals that punish taking divergent paths, and the last ~20% of your main actions are the same. the 4th round could be mostly eliminated without loss of gameplay.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Strategic Tea posted:

And the music is so gooooooood and I think it's still discounted on Steam

I still had a $10 coupon from EGS so I got it for $10 and it's already more than paid for itself

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

There’s a new big expansion to the F2P card game based on league of legends, Legends of Runeterra

It’s by far my most played game of the last year and I have 85% of all the cards without spending a dime.

It’s probably the best competitive card game ever made, even surpassing android: netrunner.

https://playruneterra.com/en-us/

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3912283

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I will never forgive MSFT for kicking me off their 5 cents a day game pass error.

Just let everyone who managed to subscribe during the 3 hours you hosed up have it forever.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone know if It Takes Two has local co-op in PC too? One controller, one keyboard/mouse?

https://www.co-optimus.com/game/6218/pc/it-takes-two.html

appears so

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

incredibly lovely of you to spoil one of the master's best mysteries.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I really like this one, too. I got it free since I backed the board game Kickstarter, but I would have been happy with it even if I bought it. I particularly like the different variations on the summoner/necro class.

Is is the same storyline as the board game?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

priznat posted:

I tried Outriders on game pass, it is new on there. Did it get pretty panned critically? It seems not great.

I co-oped all of outriders with a buddy earlier this summer. it doesn't do anything well, but it's fun.

we finished the campaign and stopped because end game is much worse.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Gynovore posted:

Awesome concept but dear god what awful graphics.

I end up thinking this for 95% of the games posted in this thread

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Hashy posted:

at this stage video game graphics are just visual cryptocurrency. you're spending hundreds of watts of GPU use per device calculating useless fleeting mathematical problems like realtime GI so someone can get the rush of toying with something expensive feeling? oh you're using 3000x the combined computing power of the manned mission to the moon to tessellate the water and raytrace its reflections back up the player character's skirt? like gently caress off with that poo poo. the world is dying

sounds like you're saying no one should play or make video games ever again.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

Had a few games on my wishlist exit EA/become available today.

I've been looking forward to Teardown for a while: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167630/Teardown/

It has overwhelmingly positive reviews. Fully destructive terrain, physics, emergent gameplay, etc. Has a campaign now.

if a game like this had two player I'd shovel money their way

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Shard posted:

Any word if the new Madden game is good?

I don't think there's a chance of a madden game being good until they lose the exclusive license.

until then regardless of quality it'll remain in the top 10 yearly bestsellers, why improve on a winner?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Stellaris Nexus, the ~60 minute 1-6 player 4X board game, is free on steam open beta for the next week:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1983990/Stellaris_Nexus/

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Cohh is streaming this right now on twitch and through his link: https://store.privatedivision.com/g...UYxVzT16DHN6XTi you can get it for an additional $4 off the steam intro sale price

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Oenis posted:

Reviews are sitting on mixed as well, something about the controls and gpu strain. I'll probably give this a little more time to cook, but it does look interesting.

yeah after watching Cohh play for the last ~90 minutes I'm gonna wait for 1.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Kefa posted:

Is it just the performance or is the game not lacking right now too?

Cohh didn't experience any performance issues though he acknowledged a) others are and b) his PC is beefy - much more than mine.

the game is beautiful to look at, but so far I haven't seen anything beyond the gorgeous visuals. the roadmap is also vague and I have enough to play these ays.