Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

President Ark posted:

this was good, if a bit on the short side (2 hours-ish)

(Superliminal)
The demo I had played caused me a lot of motion sickness, I have this problem with unity games sometimes. Did you notice anything like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

President Ark posted:

no, but i almost never get motion sick in general so i'm probably the wrong person to ask

Update, I watched a short youtube video of Superliminal, and the nausea issue was still present. If you're concerned it might be a problem for you I suggest watching a youtube clip to find out.

I had the same issue with both Jazzpunk and Antichamber, and I'm glad I bought both those games, so if you like the concept I think you should get Superliminal anyway.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/913740/WORLD_OF_HORROR/

WORLD OF HORROR features branching stories with five playable characters to brave the chaos, each with their own story and a different perspective on the events that unfold. Unravel puzzles and mysteries through spells that sacrifice sanity. Uncover disturbing and shocking clues. Diligently search every nook and cranny, scouring for helpful items that may come in handy in another twisted encounter.

Experience the quiet horror of this love letter to the works of Junji Ito and H.P. Lovecraft. WORLD OF HORROR is free of typical jump scares, relying solely on its unnerving environments and amorphous terrors to create a gnawing sense of dread. Complimented by haunting chiptunes and a 1-bit art style with a variety of available palettes, WORLD OF HORROR presents a series of frightening and unsettling accounts that linger well after stepping away.

Is this new, I thought I saw a brief LP of it?

Or did I?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Is Elden: Path of the Forgotten going to be really disappointing, or only somewhat?

Knowing nothing else about the game I would definitely choose between really disappointing and only somewhat depending on whether the name was revealed before or after the reveal of fromsoft’s “elden ring”.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Just finished Manifold Garden on the Switch. The extreme motion sickness unity games commonly cause me was mitigated significantly by playing it handheld, but it still caused a lot of dizziness.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

As other people touched on when I posted Terra Nil there is a very loud and very annoying school of thought in current gaming criticism where making games that are not violent, confrontational, or even particularly exciting or intense in any way is held an inherently superior and ethical approach to game design. This makes it incredibly hard to get a good read on whether a game that fits into that criteria is actually good or just something that people are praising or signal boosting out of some sense of moral or social obligation, especially when it's a game that is superficially related to a greater issue like ecology or mental health.

Not to say that these aren't valid or even admirable ideas, or that games that are actually good can come out of such pursuits. But it does make it hard to separate the signal from the noise whenever one of them comes out and is suddenly getting a lot of attention with no real deeper praise or discussion beyond the fact that it's "chill" or "relaxing".

I think that trying to draw a similarity between the medium of video games and the medium of board games like this is inherently disingenuous. In my opinion the issue with Wingspan within the medium of board games is that board game awards are extremely entrenched in decades of bias towards economic engine games (“euro”games). Effectively Wingspan was board game “Oscarbait”.

At what level do you think that game design criticism is failing us when describing “chill” games? In my view there are three levels of responsibility in games design criticism;
Do you think that Tim Rogers or Noah Caldwell Gervais are failing?
Do you think that Jeff Gerstman or Jason Scherier are failing?
Or do you feel that user reviews from you and I are failing?

e: Okay, I hope you can excuse me. I'm going to make some reductive assumptions about your opinion here.
I'm guessing that your view is that there is a failure at 'level 2' or 'Corporate reviewers' in one of two ways,
a) Corporate reviewers are not reviewing many of these games causing the responsibility for doing so to fall down to 'level 1'. I would argue that it is not a random user's responsibility to understand game design enough to be able to describe why they enjoy a game in depth. (I would also argue that this category actually shows there is a level 2 criticism bias towards higher intensity games.)
b) Corporate reviewers are failing to provide high quality reviews of 'chill' games. I would argue that this is due to economic/time pressure. I mean, this is why Tim Rogers keeps leaving 'level 2' criticism because he really wants to be able to do 'level 3' criticism. In addition, I would argue that higher intensity games aren't receiving better reviews at this level.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 18, 2020

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Is this set in the world of sayonara wild hearts or donut county?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

This feels almost like a thecatamites game.