Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Just want to say that I got Urtuk after the chatter in this thread and it is absolutey phenomenal.

It’s a 2D Xcom, the art is amazing and I can’t believe it was done by one person. Even though it’s in early access on steam, it seems finished to me- you can play the whole game without crashes or bugs, thought they balancing is still up in the air. But If you play the beta branch with the code on the steam beta forums, most of the balancing concerns seemed to have been worked out. This game is great, ya’ll!

Maybe it’s a lot like battle brothers, but I could never get into BB and bounced of it a few times- maybe the new DLC make it worth trying it out again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

it's a terrible board game.

The PC game is good, but yeah, the art assets are not great, and there’s not enough power sets or power customization or model characterization. It doesn’t have the voice acting that made freedom force so good (RINGS OF REXXAR!) and is kind of ugly and janky, but definitely hits that xcom tactics spot.

Can’t believe this, the new xcom and that fantasy game people are discussing above all drop within a week of each other. When it rains, it floods I guess.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

That sounds great. You've probably already heard of it. But if you love fantasy X-Com combat, Druidstone: Secret of the Menhir Forest from the studio that did the Grimrock games would totally be your jam.

Whenever this comes up, people point out that the game is bad. It is very short, and it’s also more of a puzzle game than a tactics game- more into the breach than xcom. Because it’s a puzzle game, there’s no reason to replay once you’ve figured out the sequence of moves the level wants you to do. Although you may have to restart the level once the gotcha kicks in, so that you can be ready for it.

Each level has a gotcha- either a gimmick or instantaneous reinforcement spawns, or both. I wanted to like it, but couldn’t, although some people did.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

Huh. Guess YMMV because Druidstone was my favourite game of last year and I thought it was awesome.

Different strokes for different folks!

I went in wanting a fantasy xcom (and still do). On that note, Fort Triumph is pretty good, and shakes up the mechanics a bit with moveable cover.

Also, I didn’t like their previous legend of Grimrock games either. I didn’t like the real time combat and having to move to avoid attacks, and I couldn’t really articulate why until someone in this thread called it a “square dance simulator.”

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Stanley Tweedle posted:

a little over a week ago Mini Healer was released into early access. it's a boss rush ARPG where you manage the hotbar of a party healer. i'm having an absolute blast with it, so far. there's loads of content. currently 35 bosses which can be fought at 8 different levels of difficulty. not just inflated numbers, either. they have changed attack patterns, and more abilities as they increase in difficulty. tons of customization, with 3 distinct skill trees and tons of gear to support any build. it was on sale for its launch week, but that's over. still super cheap.

Gonna try this, thanks!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I like this game but there are a bunch of difficulty spikes where you just have to go back and grind the same bosses over and over, not even getting good/worthwhile loot, just collecting experience. The different skill trees also break down a lot in power later on with Priest being insanely good and the other 2 being pretty unimpressive. You can make Occultist good with certain drops (look for the Book of Dread from the first boss of Soul Quarter) I guess.

I'm level 60 doing the Immortals in the Outer/Inner courtyards and some of them are giant DPS checks that I won't be able to beat without grinding a bunch of levels

edit: I'm healing perfectly while waiting for my team to get good so we can kill some bosses so I guess it's pretty true-to-life

I did an auramancer build, used auto hotkey, and left it on an quick insane fight overnight, now I’m level 85! At one point I had 11 auras, then I moved to a cataclysm build with a ring that makes cataclysm cast 1 per second, but the rest of the party does 0 DPS, and a glove that turns it into ice damage, which combos pretty good with some druid skills. Haven’t really upgraded or gemmed any gear yet, but I’m at 90k DPS and the inner courtyard berserker boss goes down in 18 seconds and gives ~ 350k experience.

I haven’t really tried out any other higher level builds, but maybe you could do the same thing with ranger rapid fire. The priest tank- focused build with a couple of unique swords was also pretty good at mid levels.

This doesn’t play like early access, except the pixel graphics bring my frame rate on a 1060 laptop down to a single digit frame rate- not sure what’s up with that. Also, I’m surprised there’s no item sets like diablo or world of Warcraft.

The hotkey for “sell item” is cntrl- right click

Alamoduh fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 7, 2020

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I found this Othercide review enough to put me off the game, at least for now:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/cublikefoot/recommended/798490/

I bought this game and if I cared enough to review it, this review would sum up what I think.

It’s like xcom if you had to replay the first mission for 5 hours because your rookies all die at the end of the mission. The tactics part is fun, but you’re not progressing characters really, you’re grinding for currency unlocks to progress, and the grind is a long slog through the same missions/maps before you’ll be able to beat the boss to progress.

Also, the black/white/red aesthetic is neat, but adds to the slog after a few hours. I don’t think I’ll be able to put up with these elements to get through the first boss/chapter, much less the whole game.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

OgNar posted:

Has anyone give Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk a try yet?
I've watched Splattercat playing the first map but games can really change after that.
Turn based comedy rpg
Looks pretty good.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/970830/The_Dungeon_Of_Naheulbeuk_The_Amulet_Of_Chaos/

It is pretty bad, as of now. Every half hour or so, I get a freeze that makes me have to kill the process, and this has been widely reported by others on steam. The humor is great, if you’re a misogynist or 13-15 years old, otherwise it’s easily the most unfunny game I’ve ever played. Eg: there is an NPC named Binsc, with a giant miniature space hamster named Moo. An NPC says “I used to be an adventurer like you till I took an arow to the knee.” The bimbo elf says “why does everyone want to put their hands in my pockets.” The party leader says “all these girls are naked under their clothes! Oh no, must focus.”

However, the gameplay is pretty good, except their is a weird lag when you try to move, the keypresses are not always responsive, some of the stats and equipment don’t work or give the proper bonuses, and it’s very punishing- like a version of XCOM where you will miss or be dodged if your to-hit is lower than 75%, be dodged if lower than 85%, and every other attack is a critical fail where you heal the enemy and damage yourself. Also lots of typos and things not translated from French. (French dev team).

I’m a sucker for games like this, but play something else until it gets patched a few times. Fort triumph and the dark crystal tactics game are both better than this at the moment, and both of those are simply mediocre.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Sokani posted:

You also need to enter the code 'gsqenglishtest', there's full instructions here.

I looked at the LP intro, and I don’t understand. Is this game an MMO or multiplayer only, or is there a single-player option? Is the single player an afterthought? Comparing it to rimworld is tempting me!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Nyaa posted:

It's a single-player game. I just random gen characters out of Goon's name, and let them decides what they wants to do with their character. It plays exactly like Rimworld.

Awesome! I somehow got the impression that the base attacks in the LP were from other “guilds” or something, I guess the writing style made the AI seem more human than it really is.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
ACS is the best game I’ve played this year. It just keeps unpeeling like an onion- there are so many systems that you can unlock, and each one feels so good. Fair warning though- yeah the latest patch broke the translation, and the game gets a little Grundy towards the end of the mid game, but you don’t really notice because there is always more to do. It’s the “one more turn” equivalent of a simulation game and I love it!

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Karma Tornado posted:

you can get this for ten bucks on Epic right now and then get a ten dollar off coupon thanks to their holiday coupon loop deal, fyi

This is a good game- it’s kind of short for a city builder (I beat it in 9 1/2 hours) but it feels “just right” in the way all of the gameplay elements come together. Highly recommend, especially at $10.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

Tagichatn posted:

The only game genres that would be more ridiculous to call 'souls-like' would be the ones without combat. Just like, why? Because you can dodge?

“Open world Soulslike roguelite survival crafting deckbuilder” hits 9/10 of all new releases.

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
If you’ve been waiting, Urtuk released out of early access. I love the art style of the game, and it’s fun as heck. It’s a grid-based squad tactics game and for being developed by one person, it’s amazing- and also why there seems to be zero marketing for it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1181830/Urtuk_The_Desolation/

But don’t take my word for it, explorminate rated it very highly: https://explorminate.co/urtuk-the-desolation-review/

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011

StarkRavingMad posted:

Seeing really good reviews on this. I wasn't sure if I wanted another deckbuilder right now, but it looks like it has enough different stuff going for it that it is worth a look. Especially at the $15 price point.

There can never be enough roguelike deck builders with RPG elements! What I really need, though, is a good open world battle royale roguelike deck builder with RPG elements that has a good survival crafting system and multiplayer base building. Is that too much to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alamoduh
Sep 12, 2011
Haven’t seen anyone mention:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1287840/Disciples_Liberation/

It’s very good if you like the series at all. It’s a solid hex based tactical squad fantasy based game even if you have never played the originals.