Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
F91/Victory stuff feels like its separated by a big "Here be lions" of Hathaway's Flash stuff.

I could definitely see FA Unicorn/Norn, I've just heard about some datamined symbol from the first PC test, but have yet to see any source about it so its probably scuttlebut started by one guy on reddit or something.

Plus it feels like Nightingale, plausible as it could be with something like Xeku Zwei in the game now, would more likely be a boss setup.

the 700 cap seems restrictive in that we're already there with stuff like Phenex, so I guess powercreep is just to be expected.

I'd like to see the Anksha, Asshimar doesn't feel that good even after its long history of getting buffed for being bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The 700 cap is something the game worked up towards. It started out with 500 being the highest cost bracket.
So there's a precedent of them raising it at least.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

brainwrinkle posted:

I haven’t played for a couple of years but if they add anything from F91 or Victory I’ll come back. Imagine a native 700 3 star Victory Gundam (it’s mass produced after all). Just good stats and no fancy tricks except, you know, infinite boostless flight.

They probably won't, game officially takes place in the mid UC 0090's

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The 700 cap is something the game worked up towards. It started out with 500 being the highest cost bracket.

Though it is worth mentioning that 700 cost being the absolute highest cost has been in the game since about launch, as some of the statistic pages listed all the costs as match types

This was one of the reasons people knew from the beginning that the game was eventually going to reach into post OYW era content, well that and a beta test for the game included the GM II as a unit

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Yeah I'd kill to see some crossbone vanguard mobile suits but it's not gonna happen unless they do a big time shift or something.

Also i think the significantly smaller size of the suits from that era would make them kinda crazy in game

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
One of the biggest problems with F91/Victory era suits is the scale. GBO2 is generally extremely picky about proper suit scale, and suit hitboxes are an integral part of the balance(this is why big fat boys like Dom chassis have huge hp/resists relative to skinny feddie suits), so introducing a bunch of ultra high performance tiny halfling mobile suits would be a problem. The F91 is nearly 10 meters shorter than the real big boys like the Sazabi, and is still nearly 5 meters shorter than "compact" late UC suits like the Jesta.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Is there a general way to slot parts depending on class and point value or should I be looking at each suit and making special judgement calls like "has high speed, should boost higher" or "one gun and sword better boost melee resistance" and most importantly is putting armor mods on good or am I building everything wrong?

I do tend to see if a suit is more energy or ammo or charged shot based and put those reduction time mods on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Obviously they won't now because players would get superpissed about the money investment but they should just make a GBO3 and have modes based on series/timeline/grunts or ace suits/etc. so things stay relevant throughout and also to get around a lot of the game's increasingly janky or busted systems

Secretly I want this as an excuse to pull the GM-Camouf out more because it's still funny

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro

Sazabi posted:

Is there a general way to slot parts depending on class and point value or should I be looking at each suit and making special judgement calls like "has high speed, should boost higher" or "one gun and sword better boost melee resistance" and most importantly is putting armor mods on good or am I building everything wrong?

I do tend to see if a suit is more energy or ammo or charged shot based and put those reduction time mods on.

From some general guidelines I've been following out of the competitive server, you want HP mods 500ish and below, and Resistance Mods above. Try to aim for around 20k health and switch. People like the reload mods and thrusters, along with melee/ranged enhancements as they can fit them. This is ignoring overtuned parts and big gacha things like Psychoframe, which have some different priorities.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
As another new steam player here's my read on it:

You mostly wanna stick to the bread and butter of damage, hp, resists, or thrusters. Possibly with special leg armor lv2+ thrown in there too, since having your legs broken is a death sentence. But which ones to focus on is gonna depend on your individual MS and also your playstyle.

Resists get better the more hp you have, but they also get better the more resists you have -- going from 40 to 50 beam resist is a much bigger survivability increase than going from 10 to 20. (And yes, there are some MS with starting stats that high, like the Hyaku-Shiki)
Melee resist is always good but the balance between ballistic and beam damage also changes through the levels, with higher cost MS (above about 500) focusing more on beams. The fact that suits like Atlas or the general Xeku Eins do ballistic damage is actually a big perk because most people in those brackets are gonna be using beam resist parts.

Auxiliary parts like reload speed, beam cooldown, thruster overheat reduction are usually not worth the slots, but there are some MS who make really good use of them. For example, flying MS like the byarlant custom that are constantly overheating due to flight mode can shove enough reduction in to make overheat only last 3-4 seconds before they're up in the air again.

I tried checking out that "gbo2 competitive" discord but the signal to noise ratio is crazy there, I don't understand how people can use servers that populated
they should have made a gbo2 competitive phpbb forum instead :cloud:

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Jul 4, 2023

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Cool. Good to know I was more or less doing it right. One last thing. Sometimes I see 'resist' pop up when I hit with a staggering gun. Now that and I think one time it was the hyaku-shiki so does +50 in a defense stat just grant you stagger resist for that attack type. Or at least the first stagger every couple of seconds is negated?

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
Resist almost always comes from a skill, most commonly Maneuver Armor, a raid defensive skill. While boosting it will eat the first stagger from instant stagger weapons, and depending on the level reduce incoming build stun weapons.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Alex [CA] specifically does have a skill that gives it resistance to ballistic type staggers when above 50% hp.

But yeah 90% of the time it's just gonna be maneuver armor, which is present on almost every raid in the game and on a lot of higher level generals too. The other 9% it's gonna be shock dampeners (basically just maneuver-armor-but-doesn't-require-boosting) on something like Zock or Hildofr or flight-mode Asshimar

The "instant stagger weapons" qualification in how MA works is very important, as weapons that use build-up stagger can still break it. For example, Marasai's feyadeen rifle has 50% stagger buildup on uncharged shots. So two hits against a boosting raid will break their MA and stagger them. (Assuming they only have lvl1, as higher levels of the skill can increase the stagger buildup required.) These numbers are normally invisible ingame but you can turn on an option in practice mode to show the stagger-buildup bar under the training dummy's HP.

Another example is the Efreet's shotgun. It looks like an instant stagger but it's actually a build-stagger weapon where each pellet adds a bit more to the stagger bar. Meaning it's excellent at stopping raids, since a clean hit will fill the stagger bar to 100% and break maneuver armor in one shot. But this also has the downside that it doesn't work for chain stunning -- if a teammate shoots an enemy with a bazooka to stagger them, you can't re-stagger with the shotgun, since enemies who are already staggered are immune to stagger buildup.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 4, 2023

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
So on PC, they've had to disable all clans because (most likely) hackers have been pumping up their own clan level which involves getting free tokens.

The rumor is that clans are disbanded too, which would be very unfortunate.

On the plus side, they're finally going to cough up that 500k dp promised from the twitter campaign after maint this week.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Kevsop posted:

So on PC, they've had to disable all clans because (most likely) hackers have been pumping up their own clan level which involves getting free tokens.

The rumor is that clans are disbanded too, which would be very unfortunate.

On the plus side, they're finally going to cough up that 500k dp promised from the twitter campaign after maint this week.

I thought it was a bug cause I got rewards once and then it kept kicking me when I tried to access the terminals. Good to know it's just cheaters ruining the little things that make this gotcha bearable.

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
I'd expect some sort of compensation since if this continues on, not only will people be missing out on missions/levels and the coins from them, but also clan matches are going to get delayed.

If they actually had to disband clans (not likely but I've seen it on reddit and the competitive gbo discord server) then lmao, idk how they fix that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
awhile back someone had a link to some chinese hackers claiming they had the game running in a VM and could just cheat engine their coinage values but it would reset to the normal amount after maint. It would not take away anything they rolled.

Good chance if that is true, they are not gonna have the people around to fix most of the hacking issues as those guys are probably long gone.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
you don't need a vm, you just need cheat engine running on your normal pc
they have some incompetent configuration for the anticheat to the point where you can disable it by just editing a text file

anyways if you modify tokens directly their servers catch it and ban you, but the cheaters eventually figured out that there's no such check for for giving yourself clan level-ups

people posted instructions on how to do that whole process to the official steam forums (although pastebin eventually took it down)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 5, 2023

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Lol I wish I could say I was surprised

free hubcaps posted:

Why do I feel like the PC version of this is going to be chockablock with hackers

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
apparently the disconnect penalty timer is entirely clientside.

incredible.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The matches without cheaters are still a lot of fun.
Amazing to actually see Jungle and Mountain again, too. Guess Port Base still isn't in any rotation, though.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

badged my gp01 aqua in three categories :sugartits:

it's just the one PMU favorite badge that's displayed in lobby though right, nobody else can see/care which achievements I got? and is it just stickers/arm badges or are there sick secret rewards

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010
I love using the GP01 Aqua. It's such a solid all rounder

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

one of the first haters I had was yelling at me for using it in maps without water, so now it's my default choice for 550 ground matches and I'm badging it up. was bummed to find that it's such a deep cut that there's no gunpla for it specifically, I truly love this suit.

e: I've also rolled it like four times?? is that just luck or is there a skew towards giving you suits you already have for the enhancement and recycle tickets

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Just pure RNG.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
I've finally maxed out my ReZEL and Delta Plus(yes I have a type) and is it worth it to drop the 200k credits and like 100 mechanic tickets to unlock the final upgrades for suits or is it just a waste until I am overflowing with resources, aka I should save for buying parts and new units.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The stat bonuses are pretty irrelevant (unless you get that one custom part from the sazabi banner) but it lets you put a shiny badge next to your suit's name in lobbies.

Not worth it IMO if there are still more DP shop suits you're excited to try out.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The devs have gone on record as saying that 700 is the hard cap for the game and that they will not go above it. This is well-reinforced by the only native 700s in the game being both relatively few in number and all 4* suits, and it's been like this for the past two years since they introduced Nu and Sazabi as the first native 4* suits.

I find it doubtful that they'll hit F91 or Victory with the current cost limit. It bears mentioning that F91 represents over 30 years of mobile suit advancement/development, and even if Anaheim didn't do much in that time, the F91 itself certainly represents something that's beyond Nu/Unicorn/etc. You could make the case for lesser suits (Heavygun, Jamesgun, Den'an-Zon), but that's opening the can of worms - once they're in the game, people are going to expect the devs to release the F91 eventually and I just don't see how they'll be able to do that at 700 without F91 being some extreme bullshit/powercreep. And that's without even touching Victory.

Besides, they still have a metric butt-ton of content to mine out of UC prior to Hathaway's Flash. Not every Unicorn suit is in the game yet (heck, Full Armor ZZ isn't either), Advance of Zeta continues to be the gift that keeps on giving in terms of MS content, they've shown a desire to bring over suits from SD Gundam games, and there's always - always - more content being created for UC Gundam prior to Hathaway's.

Sazabi posted:

I've finally maxed out my ReZEL and Delta Plus(yes I have a type) and is it worth it to drop the 200k credits and like 100 mechanic tickets to unlock the final upgrades for suits or is it just a waste until I am overflowing with resources, aka I should save for buying parts and new units.

Do it for suits you love, you know you will continue to play, and have pretty substantial L5/L6 advancement bonuses. Once you get to 500 cost, L5/L6 advancement starts to take a ton of time, tickets, DP, and effort (mechanic boxes less so - they're pretty generous with those for everything but 4* suits) to do for suits so you definitely want to be choosy about which suits you do it to.

Substantial bonuses are those that give +4 to melee/ranged attack, +4 melee/beam resist, +thrust, and damage reduction - in other words, things that are always useful and could actually free up some slots in buildcrafting. Less substantial bonuses are those like +seconds needed to hijack, -seconds needed to plant/defuse, -second to redeployment time, support fire damage reduction, etc. - in other words, things that are only situationally useful.

That being said, I don't know the relative newness of your account, so I can't really tell you if it's worth spending a lot of DP on individual suits' enhancement potential or spending it on suits/weapons. I'd say that if your account is less than a year old, it's probably better for you to spend that DP on filling out your roster rather than max enhancement, which is partially in the game to act as a DP sink for well-established accounts.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The stat bonuses are pretty irrelevant (unless you get that one custom part from the sazabi banner) but it lets you put a shiny badge next to your suit's name in lobbies.

Just to be a little bit more specific on this point - you only need to hit L4 enhancement to badge a suit, there's no need to take it all the way to max enhancement. In addition, you can only badge three suits at a time, so even if you have a max enhanced suit, it won't have a shiny badge next to it unless you specifically badged it.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

slicing up eyeballs posted:

one of the first haters I had was yelling at me for using it in maps without water, so now it's my default choice for 550 ground matches and I'm badging it up. was bummed to find that it's such a deep cut that there's no gunpla for it specifically, I truly love this suit.

I mean, anyone that sends a hate message your way is already flagging themselves as a moron, but Aquatic Suits are balanced to be perfectly capable on maps without water (especially considering that I don't think there are any maps in the QM queue that have a ton of water - the canals in Ruined City and the tunnels on Jaburo are pretty much it), they just happen to be even better in the water, getting all of the bonuses and then some with zero maluses, whereas other suits get some bonuses but also some maluses.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kevsop posted:

Resist almost always comes from a skill, most commonly Maneuver Armor, a raid defensive skill. While boosting it will eat the first stagger from instant stagger weapons, and depending on the level reduce incoming build stun weapons.

Here's a dumb long carepost about some of the different instant-stagger mitigation skills in the game and how they work, because what is written above is incorrect and you know no one can ever stand someone being incorrect on the internet. I will continue to add to this list over time, because believe it or not there are a shitload of stagger mitigation skills in the game - it's really kind of mind-boggling once you start writing them all out to see the sheer number of skills devoted to mitigating staggers in a game that is jokingly called 'stagger-melee: the game'.

A Quick Primer on Staggers:
There are three major levels of stagger in the game (and technically one minor as well). They are, in ascending order of severity:
Flinch: This is the minor level of stagger, at most this throws off your aim ever so slightly. The only time you'll probably feel/recognize how disruptive this might be is if Xeku Zwei starts unloading its missiles on you, because those fuckers deal a crapload of build stun, inflict flinch, and have a relentless rate of fire.
Basic: This is the level of stagger that most instant staggers inflict, and it's the one you are going to be guaranteed to be hit with at least once in a match. When hit with one, you will stop in place for around 2 seconds and your mobile suit will recoil backwards just a bit. If your suit has the ability to dodge roll, you can use it to shorten the amount of time you are stunned in place (usually done to avoid getting chain staggered or getting caught in a melee combo)
Heavy: Much less common, but much worse to get hit by. When hit with a heavy stagger, your suit will stop and fall to its knee (on Ground) or recoil backwards in a very exaggerated way (in Space) and be stunned in place for a much longer period of time than a basic stagger. What's worse is that dodge rolling isn't much good - while you can cancel some recovery time, it shaves off a very minor amount of time compared to rolling out of a basic stagger.
Knockdown: The definitive be-all, end-all stagger, it's actually a lot more common than heavy staggers because all melee downswings inherently inflict knockdown. Other common sources of knockdown are Heavy Attacks, BIG melee weapons, and getting staggered in the air (on Ground). Knockdown does what it says on the tin - your suit falls over on the ground (or tumbles backwards out-of-control in Space) and you are wide open to getting attacked with no ability to escape/mitigate the damage for a few seconds until your invincibility frames start - and you better hope that they kick in before the enemy team deletes you. One small benefit of getting knocked down (assuming that you survive) is that when you finally regain control you have about 8 seconds of invincibility to reposition yourself, ideally somewhere safe with the rest of your team (although some Raid players may decide that those 8 seconds of invincibility are invaluable for diving on a Support).

Maneuver Armor: Reduces the level of all instant staggers by one level while boosting. In other words, an instant stagger that is a basic stagger gets reduced to no stagger/flinch (but still deals build stun), and an instant heavy stagger gets reduced to a basic stagger. This does not mitigate staggers that result from stun accumulation, however - the reason why you might think it only eats the first stagger from an instant stagger weapon is because bazookas typically deal 80% stun accumulation, and so a second bazooka shot right after the first will usually deal enough stun accumulation to trigger a stagger. Try it when you're just firing instant stagger beams (which usually deal around 10% build stun) - you will see the suit shrug off multiple stuns in sequence.

Higher levels of this skill adds both damage reduction and build stun accumulation reduction while boosting. Note that while there are some Generals with L1 Maneuver Armor, L2+ Maneuver Armor is exclusive to Raids and the devs have gone on the record multiple times stating as much.

It is worth noting that Maneuver Armor does not mitigate/ignore staggers inflicted by melee weapons, nor does it ignore the stagger inflicted by a tackle.

Damage Control: This is active all of the time, and it increases the % threshold needed to trigger build stun depending on the level of the skill. L1 increases the threshold from 100% to 130%, L2 increases it to 160%, and L3 increases it to 200%. This skill synergizes with Maneuver Armor - a suit with MA1 and DC3 will ignore all instant basic staggers while boosting until you hit it with enough build stun to hit 200%, then it will finally get staggered out of its boost. This also means that a suit with MA2+ and DC1+ will need to be dealt more build stun than the level of DC that they have, because MA2+ also reduces the amount of build stun inflicted by a set %.

Shock Dampeners: These flat-out reduce the level of all instant staggers by one level, all the time, no boosting required. They do not mitigate staggers inflicted by stun accumulation, however. Basic staggers become no stagger/flinches (but still deal stun accumulation), heavy staggers become basic staggers. Unlike Maneuver Armor, Shock Dampeners will ignore basic staggers inflicted by melee attacks (they will still get staggered by melee attacks that heavy stagger, and they will still get knocked down by any melee attacks that do so) but not the staggers inflicted by tackles.

If you're wondering why that Zock/Xamel seems to be a real pro/real lucky at counter-tackling you, it's probably because you conditioned yourself to neutral->downswing in melee: the Shock Dampeners ignored the stagger inflicted by your first hit, giving the Zock/Xamel ample enough time to counter you on the second.

Shock Dampeners are found on a few Supports, namely Zock, Xamel, and FAZZ, but also on Generals/Raids in MA form and on Hildolfr/Assault Guntank in transformed mode. Doven Wolf is one of the few Generals that has the Shock Dampeners skill without transformation, and it should be noted that no Support has Shock Dampeners while in transformed/MA mode except for Hildolfr and AGT. Also, this synergizes with Damage Control - Gogg has both Damage Control 3 and Shock Dampeners, which means that it can shrug off a whole boatload of instant staggers while oh lord, he comin'. Can't do much about Gouf (VD)'s stun wire or Efreet's shotgun, though!

Stabilization Device: A somewhat rare skill found on a few Supports, this basically gives a suit Shock Dampeners whenever it is kneeling (on Ground maps) or stands still for a certain amount of time (on Space maps) in exchange for losing the ability to tackle from that state (fun fact - suits can actually still tackle while kneeling unless they have this skill!)

Active Guard/Defense Mode: A skill that you activate by pressing a certain button, when active this will completely ignore all staggers (even heavy staggers and knockdowns), negate all build stun accumulation, and reduce all damage taken by a certain % depending on the level of the skill. In exchange, the suit has to stand completely still and consistently consume thrust while this skill is active, and it cannot deactivate the skill for a certain amount of time depending on what kind of stagger it just negated (so it can deactivate it pretty much at will while being shot at by weapons that don't stagger, but basic staggers/heavy staggers/knockdowns require the suit to maintain the guard for longer before deactivating it, with knockdowns having the longest delay and basic staggers having the shortest delay.

As for damage reduction - Defense Mode reduces the least amount of damage (and is found on Supports), while Active Guard L3 reduces the most amount of damage on top of being able to 'cancel' into it like how High Performance Balancers enable you to cancel your boost into a melee attack.

Explosive Reactive Armor: Joking referred to as 'the poor man's Maneuver Armor' which means that it's almost exclusively found on Supports. ERA reduces the level of instant staggers inflicted by the splash radius of an attack by one level. What instant staggers have a splash radius, you might ask? That would be most bazooka shots, shoulder cannons, Unicorn's Beam Magnum, and Messala's charged beam cannons, to name a few.

Note that it is the stagger inflicted by the splash radius of said attack that gets reduced. Direct hits are still going to stagger as they would normally.

Active Beam Coating: This skill is found on one suit and one suit alone at the moment (Delta Gundam) and it absolutely broke 600 cost for quite some time until Delta got nerfed. Active Beam Coating reduces the level of all instant staggers inflicted by beam weapons by one level on top of reducing the damage done by beam weapons by 50%. It does absolutely nothing against staggers/damage inflicted by ballistic/melee weapons, nor does it reduce stun accumulation from any source. Once the suit is reduced to 50% HP though, it no longer reduces the level of instant staggers from beam weapons, it loses the % damage reduction against beam weapons, and it drops the suit's beam resist to 0 regardless of how many beam resist parts you fitted. That means even if you built your Delta to have 50 beam resist, as soon as ABC gets blown off that beam resist goes straight to 0. This is why Delta Gundam is fundamentally dead once it hits 50% HP, because once it loses ABC it more or less gets vaporized almost immediately.

Flight System: This skill only works on the Ground, but pressing a button allows the suit to enter a Flight Mode where it has Space-like 3D movement. While in Flight Mode, all instant staggers are reduced by one level as if the suit had Maneuver Armor active, but the suit must constantly consume thrust to remain in Flight Mode. As with most skills that reduce the level of staggers by one, this does not prevent staggers that result from stun accumulation and it is worth noting that getting staggered in the air is an instant knockdown. As a matter of fact, suits in Flight Mode with the L1 or L2 versions of this skill actually take 30% more build stun, making them easier to shoot out of the sky with build stun. The L3 version of this skill, found on Byalant Custom and Byalant Isolde, does not have this drawback however. Suits in Flight Mode also consume less boost when using high-speed movement and turn slightly faster, with higher levels of the skill reducing the amount of thrust consumed and increasing turn speed more. Finally, it is worth noting that Flight Mode does not work in the water.

Atlas Gundam has a special version of this skill with its own unique name which escapes me at the moment. It's basically Flight System on steroids - it reduces staggers by one level, reduces the amount of thrust consumed by high-speed movement in 'Flight Mode' by the highest %, and has the biggest bonuses to high-speed movement and turning speed while in 'Flight Mode'. In addition, unlike Flight Mode, Atlas' version of the skill works in the water - hence why it probably got its own unique version of the skill rather than just 'L4 Flight Mode'.

Quick Turn: This also falls under the purview of 'button press skill'. While boosting, you have the ability to press this button to engage in a so-called 'Quick Turn', which in exchange for some thrust very quickly turns your suit around 180 degrees and renders you immune to all staggers - including those caused by tackles - during the animation. However, you are not immune to damage during this animation, and as a matter of fact you take 30% more damage during it.

This skill is found on all Gelgoog Vertex-derived suits (Including the Support version, the Vertex Xanthos!), Hazel II, and Nero Trainer. This is one of the (many) reasons that Nero Trainer is extremely busted, because a player skilled at abusing Quick Turn can simply use this to approach you with a charged Heavy Attack, bait your tackle, use Quick Turn to ignore the stagger caused by the tackle (which also maintains the charge on its Heavy Attack), and then promptly unload on you with a Heavy Attack (which, if you're playing Support, is likely going to kill you). It's pretty crazy because it makes charging someone with your Heavy Attack ready extremely safe and unlike Hazel II, Nero Trainer's Heavy Attack deals a boatload of damage and covers a sweeping, generous area.

Assault Booster: Yet another one of those Raid-only skills, but only applicable on the Ground. Assault Booster does a ton, though. It reduces the time needed to charge a boost jump to hit maximum height, reduces the thrust consumed by said boost jump, and reduces all staggers by one level during said boost jump (including when you are falling).

This got added to the game as a direct counter to Support players being building shitters. Because of the sheer number of staggers that Supports started getting at higher costs, a halfway decent Support player on a building could make themselves extremely safe against Raids because they could just stagger them while they were in the middle of a jump (and remember, staggering a suit in the air is an instant knockdown). As a result, every single Raid in the game has this skill at some level - even Zaku I.

i-Field/Beam Diffusion-related skills: I made a big category for these because there are a lot of 'unique' versions of i-Field skills that apply to specific suits (Sisquiede technically has an i-Field weapon, not a skill, but I will cover that separately), but they all generally do similar things (Hazen'thley's skill might be a bit more unique, though). We'll start with the simplest - beam diffusion skills.

These debuted on the Jagd Dogas. Basically, when these suits are charging the Quad MPCs in their shields, any ranged beam shots that hit the shield while it's charging (and when it is fully charged and you are maintaining that charge) have their stagger level reduced by 1 and their damage reduced by 60%. This is a lot harder to use than you might think, because the shield really doesn't cover that much surface area. Kshatriya has a very similar skill for when it's charging the Quad MPCs in its chest - while charging, they create an i-Field in front of the chest area of the suit (which has a larger coverage area and is generally an area that people like to shoot at) that reduces the stagger inflicted by ranged beam weapons that hit this area by one level and reduces their damage by 50%.

There are passive versions of these skills found on Ex-S Gundam, FA Hyaku Shiki Kai, and Hazen'thley, however. Ex-S Gundam and FA HSK have a Chest i-Field skill that reduces the stagger inflicted by ranged beam weapons by one level and reduces their damage by half - no charging needed, it works completely passively. This may seem quite overpowered, but the coverage area of the i-Field is extremely, extremely small. It's basically the size of the small chest unit that protrudes on these suits (in-lore, they basically only exist to protect the pilot from getting instantly vaporized by a beam attack), meaning that getting it to activate is more sheer dumb luck than player skill.

Hazen'thley has a very special version of this skill, however. It actually has an i-Field built into the combination shield/mega particle cannon/melee weapon unit on its left hand, which means that it actually has a pretty decent coverage area and, like the i-Field skill found on FA HSK and Ex-S, it works completely passively. Also, it's more powerful - it completely no-sells all staggers inflicted by ranged beam weapons, both normal and heavy, and it reduces the damage inflicted by beam weapons that hit the i-Field by 70%. There's a catch, however - it consumes thrust according to the level of stagger that it negates. Attacks that don't stagger/attacks that flinch consume 5 thrust, normal staggers consumes 20, heavy staggers consume 40, and knockdowns consume 80. In addition, this means that when you overheat your thrusters, the i-Field is not active.

Multipurpose Large Binder: This is a skill unique to Kshatriya, and it's one of the reasons why it has such deplorable melee resist. Any ranged attacks that hit its binders (both beam and ballistic) have their stagger level reduced by one, damage reduced by 50%, and build stun reduced by 25%. It's worth noting that Kshatriya's binders are massive and cover a significant surface area of the suit. In essence, this skill (plus the i-Field skill) are what makes Kshatriya a really hard nut to crack at range - there's nothing in the game that can really out-damage it at range because of the massive reductions to both damage and staggers that it gets, so in exchange it needs to die fast in melee. Sazabi FF can probably out-burst damage it, but it can't withstand any kind of prolonged ranged engagement against it.

To come: Shield-related skills, all of the various Psycommu Resonance-related skills, Chobham Armor, probably something else I'm forgetting that exists on one suit in the game just to piss me off as I try to recall all of these goddamn skills (Overfeed!), some nitty-gritty corrections because I am also wrong on the internet, and the Quick Stop technique.

Edit: Added a brief section on the different levels of stagger in the game, because I realized that I commonly throw around the phrase 'reduces the level of stagger by one' without really clarifying the context as to what that really means. Because if I'm going to be an insufferable pedant, I'm going to commit to the bit all the way.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 13, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Oh neat, I didn't realize you could get the badges without the DP-sink steps. Time to favorite some of my MS. It'll be a long time before I can get the Dezpada in there but at least my lvl3 Zudah is already maxed out.

LuiCypher posted:

probably something else I'm forgetting that exists on one suit in the game just to piss me off as I try to recall all of these goddamn skills

Overfeed!
Also Dezpada's W Pack Binder Special Cushioning reduces stagger buildup when hit in the arm buffers but I don't think it does anything to instant stuns.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 11, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
all my friends just hate playing anything above 500

also hate playing now because of getting kicked to a lobby

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LuiCypher posted:

I mean, anyone that sends a hate message your way is already flagging themselves as a moron, but Aquatic Suits are balanced to be perfectly capable on maps without water (especially considering that I don't think there are any maps in the QM queue that have a ton of water - the canals in Ruined City and the tunnels on Jaburo are pretty much it), they just happen to be even better in the water, getting all of the bonuses and then some with zero maluses, whereas other suits get some bonuses but also some maluses.

Particularly considering that the first Aquatic suits got introduced pretty near launch(I think the Acguy wasn't at launch but did get added within the first two or so months of the game) and we didn't get water added as an environmental condition till at least a year later

also almost every promotional banner image that has been released for the game has an Acguy hidden somewhere in it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've totally given up on matchmaking and just play random custom games with whoever gets on and its much more fun, if only because the game actually launches at all

It also gives good excuses to pick the dumber or shittier suits instead of just the actually good ones all the time lol, and that was always the draw of the game anyway for me

drrockso20 posted:

also almost every promotional banner image that has been released for the game has an Acguy hidden somewhere in it

lmao that owns

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
drat. I've played enough solo ranked that the game has now decided me and my usual duo buddy are too far apart and can't queue for ranked mode together.
...why is the quickmatch mode selection so sparse compared to ranked? Half the time there are only two maps available and one of them is a space map or something weird like duel.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Quickmatch is always a single ground queue and a single space queue, with a third weird gimmick mode queue being added on the weekends(Thursday-Sunday, by the game clock).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oh neat, I didn't realize you could get the badges without the DP-sink steps. Time to favorite some of my MS. It'll be a long time before I can get the Dezpada in there but at least my lvl3 Zudah is already maxed out.

Yeah, I don't think they changed it, but badges got introduced before L5/L6 enhancements were added to the game so the game technically considers L4 advancement to be 'max' enhancement without needing to go all the way to L6.

Kevsop
Jul 20, 2011

Pork Pro
Apparently a new datamining method for the PC client dropped recently and there is some real but hushed talk about unit files they found.

In particular, Hi Nu and Nightingale do exist as files, but might not be for a while (I had asked about them a bit upthread but its unrelated, I wouldn't pin them specifically for anniversary)

Along with that, there are files for the Anksha and the Loto.

I haven't seen any of it firsthand, so might be just talking out my rear end, but I have seen these talked about straight from some pretty reliable people who content create for this game.

I also appreciate the carepost on stagger/stun abilities a lot.

Kevsop fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 12, 2023

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

LuiCypher posted:

Here's a dumb long carepost about some of the different instant-stagger mitigation skills in the game and how they work

lol I'll be revisiting this as I try new suits (put it in the op imo) but thank you for taking the time to make this all so clear! and thank you for the affirmation on aquatic suits, this was a while ago so I didn't know as much to defend it but the guy just kept sending increasingly mad voice messages lol

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

nu gundam and sazabi in the recycle ticket store :toot:
for 700 tickets :cripes:

Oh gently caress me double post sorry sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Why the hell you worried about a double post, especially when it is on a completely different topic than your previous post? Lmao