Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The English release of Gundam Battle Operation 2 just happened last week!

Gundam Battle Operation 2 is a multiplayer online mech game on PS4. It's based on early Universal Century mechs. It is free to play with gacha mechanics to unlock suits. However, suits become available to buy with the in-game currency a couple months after their gacha release.

This game is fun! It reminds me of MechWarrior meets Battlefield. The suits feel very chunky in a good way. It takes time to reload after a bazooka shot, and even switching weapons has a short delay.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsDci7o9lcU

Gameplay - example round (no commentary):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAgfZRBMvxU

PSN: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA16114_00-GUNDAMBO20000000

If you log in before October ends, you get 10 free suits for the English launch of the game.

If this thread gets mildly popular I'll put more effort into a new player guide here in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I made a clan called Gravity with the tag [GVT] if anyone wants to join. I tried all sorts of SA variant tags, but everything was taken.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
It’s a much slower, more stately game than Gundam Versus. Matches are 8 minutes long, with points mostly coming from destroying enemy team suits. High score wins in the end.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I wasn't having much trouble forming lobbies in quick matches over the weekend. The most annoying thing was people not readying up for 2 minutes and getting booted. I played a number of ranked matches last evening without issue. Perhaps the quick playlist is underpopulated on weeknights?

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
A few tips I found elsewhere on the internet:

• Space-only MS and Ground-only MS get thruster capacity bonuses compared to generalist MS on their respective maps
  • The third week of each month usually has a special step-up gacha pull available where you can do a 10-pull for only 15 tokens
  • There's an $8 "starter pack" of 31 tokens + the Level 2 Gundam. I bought this to support the game (and because the other token packs feel like a ripoff).
  • Bazooka + melee combo seems to be a favored tactic since the launch of the game. Some newer suits like the Armored GM have the "reactive armor" ability that helps avoid staggers on bazooka splash damage.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I've been having a lot of success with forward melee into tackle, after which time your melee cooldown is over. Back melee for the knockdown, back off and shoot with rifle while they are on the ground.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I don’t believe you need to do anything special. From what I’ve heard, you can even download the US PSN version and have all your JP release stuff.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
You have to buy the Zaku lvl 2 and other MS suits and parts. They count as completely different suits/parts.

You can "enhance" suits by getting duplicates or putting them in the hangar for upgrades. These are fairly minor improvements usually.

Duplicate drops also give you recycle tickets and mechanics tickets. Recycle tickets have a pool of stuff that you can trade them for that rotates. Mechanics tickets reduce hangar times. You can also get recycle tickets from the recon reward boxes that drop randomly after matches.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I've read that the default recon box drop rate is something like 10%. However, I don't really believe that. I've also experienced very few drops without the 10-15% boost you get from an encourage.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
How do people use the missiles from the Zaku HA and other similar suits? I got the HA in the gacha, but I haven't played with it much yet. It seems like you have to be quite close range to make the missiles work well.

Also join clan GVT if you don't have a clan, we are nearing halfway to the next level.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I tried out the Zaku II Heavy Arms (level 3, 300 points) last night. It's fun! However, I'm not convinced that it's very good at the 300 level. I can see it working much better at 200 or 250.

I found that the missiles were good at fairly close range after a stagger. If you manage to hit with all 6, you're looking at 3-4k damage. It's a nice alternative to a melee combo that most people don't expect.

The main problem I had was being loving slow. At 88 speed, if a Raid notices you, you're kinda screwed. You can't sit back and snipe either, so stick like molasses to a general buddy/lifeguard.

It is very fun to poo poo out 250 damage machine gun bullets to any general suit in range though. I suspect it might work better with the MMP-80 instead of the default Zaku machine gun for faster staggers. I don't have that weapon unlocked yet.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Efreet is fun! It's not particularly good on maps with lots of long sightlines, but it is still very fun.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Do people have strong opinions about the MMP-80 versus the classic Zaku machine gun on the Zaku line of suits? There are a good number of suits that can equip either. The Zaku machine gun has a larger magazine, more range, and more damage per bullet, but a slower rate of fire.

I think the bullpup versus 100mm machine gun have similar mechanics on Feddie suits. I have found the bullpup pretty okay at stunning.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I should probably run DPS calculations in practice mode. The reduction in range from 250 to 200 is the most painful part personally.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I did some Zaku Machine Gun vs MMP80 stopwatch testing in training mode. These timings are probably not exact. I used a Zaku 2 100 cost mobile suit in the 200 cost training ground. I was firing at a 200 cost GM (no type advantage or disadvantage). My Zaku 2 100 cost has 100 enhancement points.

MMP80

• The MMP80 fires 35 rounds in about 5.7 seconds.
  • 141 damage per round with the MMP80
  • 4,935 damage if all 35 rounds hit
  • 865 DPS under ideal conditions
  • Fast 4 second reload

Zaku Machine Gun

• The Zaku Machine Gun fires 40 rounds in about 9.9 seconds
  • 168 damage per round
  • 6720 if all 40 rounds hit
  • ~680 DPS under ideal conditions
  • Slower 6.8 second reload

The MMP80 does seem superior under most conditions here. In ~16 seconds you can fire 2 whole magazines from the MMP80 while the Zaku Machine Gun will have just finished reloading. You are looking at approximately a 25% DPS advantage with the MMP80 for 50 less range.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I had no idea! The hidden mechanics in this game are a lot.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Zaodai posted:

My advice honestly is to find some Suits you enjoy playing and outside of necessity of Dailies, try to play in matches that'll let you play those suits. It's hard due to the rotations, but I find I enjoy the game alot more win or lose if I don't force myself to play Space or at point levels I don't have a Suit I enjoy at (unrestricted for the most part now that I've had some luck filling out my suit list a bit). I can have fun playing a bunch of games in the GM Cannon or the Pezun Dwadge or even the Ground Type Gundam at 300. I still go on losing streaks due to impressively bad teams and the occasional game where we're just locked in spawn and it sucks. Even those are a little less infuriating when you're playing a suit you find the gameplay style of itself enjoyable. Also I get a lot less of those in Ground, gently caress Space.

I find that I generally enjoy low cost, 200-300 point matches the most. At least when I have a bad round at that cost, I know it’s more due to my skill or teamwork than lucky gacha pulls. It’s pretty east to afford any particular suit at those levels. It’s much easier to predict enemy capabilities at lower costs.

Also, I don’t like beam rifles all that much. Most of my good high cost suits are beam rifle centric.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
GVT just had our first level up if anyone wants to get in on the ground floor.

This game is making me want a PS4 Pro. My base model PS4 is super loud and the framerate is kinda bad.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I dusted it externally a week ago, but I need some special screwdriver to open it up and gently caress that.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Pezun Dwadge is quite fun! It's pretty easy to tag someone at medium range with the beam bazooka, follow up that stun with the chest laser, then melee combo, extra downswing, and finish off with beam bazooka when they stand up. You do need to be careful about timing your Beam Bazooka shots as the overheat is quite punishing.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord

Mugaaz posted:

My brother and I joined GVT, is that still the Goon guild?

We are spread across GVT and another not all Goon guild (Red Haven iirc). GVT has about ~5 active people now so we should be able to clear most of the missions.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I rolled the Alex in the free 10-pull last week. It's absolutely excellent! I've had a number of Ace matches in the last week where either the double dodge or wrist gatlings helped me win the match as the Ace.

The beam rifle especially deserves some praise. It doesn't do huge damage, but it charges so quickly that it feels more like a bazooka reloading to me.

Here's a quick, off-the cuff listing of my favorite suits at different costs (ground matches):

200 - Zaku Cannon. It just shreds with the MMP-80.
250 - Too many good options to pick.
300 - Efreet or Zaku Sniper? Also too many good options here.
350 - Gelgoog. That beam rifle is amazing.
400 - Pezun Dwadge. Two stun options, yes please. Also, the massively damaging beam bazooka.
450 - Alex. The perfect suit, as explained above.
500 - Rick Dias. All the other expensive suits are too fiddly for me

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If you complete X monthly missions you get a bronze/silver/gold medal status. This lets you use Encourage 1/2/3 times per day. Encourage boosts your container drop rate and XP/DP multipliers for a match.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Battle Simulations were surprisingly fun to master. I cleared all 3 in under 3 minutes for the 9 tokens.

For the Psycho Gundam, the Gyan is great. I cleared the survival one with the Heavy Gundam level 2. It took longer than I’d like to admit to clear them all though.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The meta is better around 400+ imo. Bazookas are much less common, and beam rifles open up the ranged game quite a bit. Sadly machine guns are less useful there, but still not bad.

Also go into practice mode with the level 3 GM Trainer from the solo missions. Practice getting a neutral melee into down melee hit, boost cancelling the recovery, and another neutral melee while the target is downed. Congrats, you can now do absurd melee damage too.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
This new update and banner are pretty good. Guaranteed good 600 point suit with a 10 roll, UI improvements, and new event missions.

Oh and 30 free tokens!!

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Yeah I thought that was you! I learned that I’m pretty garbage with the Kämpfer after buying it from the DP store. I’m much better at the Mudrock so far.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Just played a match against DisAstranagant. Unfortunately their team’s raids failed to kill our ace.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
So for anyone else who didn’t know (like me):

The GM Guard Custom vulcans stun in about 15 rounds. It’s an absolute monster in space.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I rolled the Gundam Mk III earlier this week. I just played a few 600 cost Ace rounds with it today. Maybe I’m just not used to it yet, but it feels perhaps a bit under tuned compared to the competition? The beam cannons are nice, but the melee is quite limited with no Melee Combo Controller. It’s difficult to find a good opening to down melee people - I’m used to opening with the neutral swing and following up with the downswing because the neutral swing comes out more quickly.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Haha no worries, that was a fun match. I was watching the capture gauge really closely and never saw it stop, so I figured no one had spawned. I decided to cap the next point over once you stole my suit.

I tried both the HiMo Zaku and the Dom Tropical Test Type that day for my dailies (and a few extra matches). I feel like the Dom Tropical is slightly better if you can get used to its quirks. The HiMo can dump 4 rockets into a target under ideal circumstances, but it's pretty tough to catch people aware of you with them all. It's subweapons and melee are far inferior while the rockets are reloading. The Dom Tropical's subweapon machine gun is just excellent, along with the very strong down melee swing.

I have pretty much stopped using the Mk III because I don't really like beam cannons on any suit that I've played. I wish I had rolled the Mk II, that suit seems great.

I have rolled very few of the Zeta-era suits. I'm trying to find 550-600 cost ground suits that I like. I have a Lvl 4 Galbaldy Alpha at 550 with a Level 4 Gelgoog beam rifle that performs decently. However, it feels a bit outclassed by natural 550 suits. The GP03 is always good, and even the 550 Ez8 is a bit of shitwrecker (when you can catch up to people).

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I rolled the Gallus-J at 500 and 550 a few weeks back. I believe that it's extremely good! It's so good that I feel it's underrated by most people. The beam rifle, chest missiles, and gun missiles all stun. You can combo two of those stuns together to walk up to someone far out of melee range and whack them. This almost always surprises people. If they dodge out of your first stun, stun them again with one of the other two and you know their boost gauge is gone. The beam rifle damage is pretty poor for the cost range, but the missiles do quite well and you're a melee suit anyway. I haven't even mentioned the extendy arm that does heavy stagger or the finger launchers that are pretty much an MMP-80 style subweapon. Did I also forget to mention that it has Maneuver Armor?

I'll have to try out the Act Zaku Bullpup MG on more suits now that it's been buffed. I only have the Lvl 2 gun from the DP store, but it sounds pretty great on the Galbaldy Alpha. The Pezun Dwadge can also equip it, but I'd be loathe to give up the beam bazooka.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
With the caveat that I haven't been playing regularly for a few weeks - LuiCypher, that list looks good. Some feedback:

• I personally prefer the Proto Gundam over all of the 350 raids you listed. With the Hyper Bazooka and Dual Beam Sabers it really shreds anything in melee. (I'm pretty sure it's in the DP store now?)
  • I can second the GM Ground Type [08th MS] being very fun at 350. IIRC it has the same skills at 300, so it should be good there too with proper Hanger upgrades.
  • Zaku Sniper might be worth listing at 300. I quite like the Magella top cannon, and the Sturmfaust as a backup stun is pretty good defense.
  • I bought the Zaku II F2 recently. I feel it pales in comparison to things like Dom Tropical, Gouf VD, and even Zaku II FS Lv 4 on the ground. It's kinda hard to convert your staggers into big melee damage.
  • I think the 350 cost Gelgoog is worth listing for the excellent beam rifle. It's the lowest cost point good BR suit imo (ignoring the Ground Gundam here, not fond of the poor damage on the BR).
  • I noticed the list doesn't put the Hi-Mobility Zakus anywhere. I'm not sure what I think about them. My rounds with them tend to go either quite well or quite poorly.
  • Seconding the GM Guard Custom. It's versatile, and the chest vulcans stagger after about 15 hits. No one expects this until they are on the receiving end a few times. I think it's better in Space than on the ground, as people can't easily splash damage your feet around the shield.
  • I'm not sure it's worth listing, but I feel like the Zaku II FS is fun at 300 (level 4). The first Hanger upgrade nets you 2 extra slots, which allows for tons of boost and huge melee modifiers. The Ground specialization is also nice. It's a good way to practice Maneuver Armor instead of dodge rolling.
  • The Guncannon II can be okay in space. I've had a few good rounds with it at 400.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I haven’t played for a couple of years but if they add anything from F91 or Victory I’ll come back. Imagine a native 700 3 star Victory Gundam (it’s mass produced after all). Just good stats and no fancy tricks except, you know, infinite boostless flight.