Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So have we decided on a Goon clan yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Discounted pull was good to me. Got a Z'Gok, saving me some DP, as well as the G-Line Assault and Pale Rider Cavalry which both look really good :toot:

Sounds like a classic gacha game (e.g., everyone else gets great pulls with their discounted one, I get a bunch of crud)!

Well, not exactly. I did get a Lvl 6 GM Cannon and it is nice to be able to take off a whole bunch of health with a single shot.

I also got a Lvl 3 Zaku Heavy Arms, and that's a pretty decent 350 cost suit. It really straddles the line between Support and General (a little more General than Support, though). You have so many weapons that you never need to wait for a reload once you run out of ammo, and all of the weapons are pretty alright.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I need a group to play this with. The pubbie experience at the D ranks really is the salt mines. I know I'm not an ace at this game by any means, but the level of bad play at these ranks seems designed to keep you in the ghetto.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I would say right now that my favorite Support is the Zaku Heavy Arms and my favorite Raid is the Dowadge.

I like Zaku HA as a Support because it's incredibly misleading. If you equip the Zaku Machinegun, you essentially have the exact same silhouette and engagement distance as a regular old Zaku II (which is General). This leads to a lot of Raids mistaking you for a General suit (and thus avoiding you because of type disadvantage) and General suits thinking they're evenly matched against you (when really they have disadvantage and you have advantage). So what that usually leads to is you feasting on enemy General suits (~250 damage a shot for the Zaku Machinegun really adds up quickly) while your kryptonite goes off looking for the other, more obvious supports.

The only giveaway are the missle pods - but then you really have to know that the missile pods are A Thing for the Zaku HA compared to the 50 other Zaku models in the game.

As for Dowadge - it doesn't poo poo out 8k damage like other Raids, but I think it's a very safe Babby's First Raid for learning the role. The Bazooka gives you a relatively high damage stagger that you can use to set up a combo (or give yourself another getaway tool if things go pear-shaped), the heat saber is decent, the heat tomahawk gives you a way to add a little bit more damage to your combo, and the flash beam gun is another getaway tool. Plus, you're very fast on the ground and can change direction very quickly thanks to being a Dom-type unit skating around the battlefield, so you can also chase really well. Finally, I think you also have Maneuver Armor too which will allow you to avoid flinches/staggers while boosting?

Also, I got lucky on a pull and came up with the Hyper Hammer for the Gundam. That weapon is absolutely rude to Raids, and I love it. You can't combo with it, but you outrange pretty much any melee weapon in the game and it hits like a truck.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

brainwrinkle posted:

How do people use the missiles from the Zaku HA and other similar suits? I got the HA in the gacha, but I haven't played with it much yet. It seems like you have to be quite close range to make the missiles work well.

I use them when my machinegun is reloading as a form of supplemental damage. Even then, I typically use them in much the same way - against unaware opponents (so then I might hit them with all six) or against an ADAD spammer (because you can launch them in a spread-out fashion, thus ensuring that you will probably hit them with at least one or two). They're also really good if the enemy is in an area where they can't maneuver as well in (like a corridor). The number of projectiles and launch intervals make them a nice zoning tool for people who like to play peek-a-boo around corners.

I've also found that the Cracker grenade is really good, even among grenades. I feel like it has a larger hit area than most (so you can hit a lot of enemies piled together), and once you've got the timing/arc down they are a surprisingly effective way to hit enemies when they otherwise feel safe.

I also managed to get a L3 Efreet from a 10-pull, and that's a steep learning curve. Compared to most General suits you have next to no range, so your primary role
is Support bodyguard. But what a bodyguard indeed - shotgun stagger -> melee looks like a great way to dumpster Raids trying to kill your squishies.

brainwrinkle posted:

Also join clan GVT if you don't have a clan, we are nearing halfway to the next level.

Are there more than 2 people in the clan now? That's been the biggest obstacle for me as every goon clan except the informal one (Red Haven).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 22, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Pale Rider Cavalry is really goddamn good. The gatling melts enemy suits, and when that's reloading you still have a missile launcher and a one-shot gently caress-off beam rifle. Haven't even touched HADES mode yet either.

drrockso20 posted:

A suit can only equip a weapon up to it's own level, so a lvl 1 suit can't use a higher level gun

Unless you're playing an unrestricted point match. I've had a Lvl 2 Gundam use a Lvl 4 Hyper Hammer in those. Which is weird because there's no Lvl 4 suit to use a Lvl 4 Hyper Hammer?

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 23, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Edit: Double post

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

To anyone on the fence sick of being in the salt mines - stick with the game. So much of getting better at the game is tied to experience rather than twitch reflex/skill. Things that can help you along the way include:
  • Try to take a suit as close to the maximum possible cost, give or take 50 points (so in a 450 point game take a 450/400 cost suit). Every 100-point tier usually carries a significant number of advantages over the previous tier, whether it's through sheer statistics or the suits available to you (which may carry skills that lower-tier suits don't have access to).
  • Taking something undercost when you're learning the game seems like a good idea (because then you're not going to tank your team as hard when you inevitably feed), but it's a trap - you will wind up feeding the enemy team more and you won't be able to put out enough damage/flinches when needed. In essence, taking an undercost suit is putting your team a man down (which can cost you the game). Take a chance - feel proud - roll with the cost limit suit.
  • The most important skill that you learn as a player is situational awareness, and you only learn this by playing the game. To develop it, remember to keep an eye on your radar when the action isn't too hectic to get a sense of where the enemy is at all time. Learning all the little details of the common rulesets is also part of situational awareness. I've seen teams that were completely outmatched in terms of skill and killing ability win battles because they knew that planting a bomb at the enemy base was worth a shitload of points during the last two minutes of a General Match and played accordingly.
  • Engage with at least one or more teammates. Only morons think they can come out on top in a 1v2 situation. Note that this doesn't mean you have to be right next to them, just able to respond to threats together - for example, you can also engage enemies with your teammates by flanking them.
  • Melee gangbangs look like a lot of fun, but it's generally a bad idea to have more than one suit engage a single enemy in melee. You'll usually wind up staggering the poo poo out of each other because most players will default to their horizontal slash (because hey, netcode can be bad) or the knockdown slash. This will usually end with the suit you're trying to kill managing to get away or the enemy supports shelling the poo poo out of you because you're all bunched up.
  • What you can do instead is flank and provide ranged supporting fire - then you force the enemy player to either commit to the melee or try to disengage. But because you're already peppering them with ranged fire and not getting your rear end knocked on the ground by your ally, you stand a much greater chance of actually killing them when they run away because you never stopped engaging them.
  • When you get destroyed, use the respawn time to quickly reflect on how you died. Did you get slaughtered in a 4v1? You probably overextended/dove when you shouldn't have (sometimes though you just have a bad team that fades away the moment they encounter resistance). Did you die in a 1v1 honorabru duel? Your enemy may have been your hard counter, or they just knew how to use their toolset appropriately. Were you killed by supporting fire? Try to pay attention the next time your enemy uses supporting fire and scatter a bit from teammates when you see the notice.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Numlock posted:

What is a bluezooka?

e: f,b

Generally though, a bazooka is a really good set-up weapon but overall poor in terms of being a damage dealer. Bazookas will almost always cause an opponent to flinch or stagger when they hit, which opens them up to getting melee'd or getting shot by a Support suit - their main threat is the consequences that you face as a result of said stagger. In terms of dealing damage however, their low fire rate, low projectile speed, and higher damage per shot means that they're very bad at dealing consistent damage from range unless you're very skilled, as misses are very punishing.

From a pure DPS perspective, machine guns will pretty much always win out against a bazooka - it's low damage per shot, but they're shooting a lot of bullets and they do it with an aim assist which drastically reduces the effectiveness of ADAD spam (which is quickly moving left-right-left-right to try to juke ranged attacks and exploit lag, so named because A and D are typically bound to Strafe Left and Strafe Right respectively when using a mouse+keyboard combo to play a shooter). But machine guns only stagger once they hit an opponent a decent number of times, which gives the enemy time to evade or hit you with a staggering attack to set up their own combo.

Therefore, depending on what primary weapon you equip your suit will have different engagement ranges. Suits with bazookas typically want to stay close to both reduce the enemy's ability to dodge the shot and to be close enough to switch to melee to exploit the stagger. Suits with machine guns typically want to stay a little further back to increase the number of times they hit the enemy to stagger them before they can get close enough to wombo-combo them. The game understands this and deliberately misleads you a bit by giving bazooka much more range than machine guns, although this does allow suits equipped with them to still be able to contribute at a greater range as well.

I don't really know enough about beam weapons since I don't have too many suits equipped with them, but I imagine that they prefer to stay a little further back than even machine guns.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 24, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Numlock posted:

If I buy a suit with a certain weapon, does that mean I can put that weapon on another suit (assuming it’s compatible) or do I still need to go buy it separately?

Also what custom parts are must haves, and does putting them on your suit have any trades offs or are they straight upgrades?

Also on those bronze recon drops, do they always give you DP? I’ve been wondering if I should just turn them into Recycle tickets instead?

I didn’t see it and figure there isn’t one, but can I sell unwanted MS and gear?

Yep, although you'll find that to pad the list of items you can receive via drops many, many, many suits have weapons that are entirely unique to them (at least after getting the Lvl 2 Juaggu melee weapon 2-3 times the gacha gods decided to finally give me a Juaggu that could use them).

Bronze Recon drops do not always give you DP.

Custom parts do not come with trade-offs - they are always straight benefits.

You cannot sell unwanted MS and gear. You will simply get Recycle/Mechanic Tickets for duplicates that you receive.

On the subject of Juaggu - what a weird goddamn suit. I don't know how to play it yet, but I'm trying. It's tanky as gently caress, though - really high resistances and HP across the board more or less guarantee that it wins a war of attrition with any General suit it comes across. Too bad it is slow as gently caress - you are not going to be running away from anything ever in Juaggu. Right now, I think it's a piece of crap at the 400 cost range, but we'll see how it turns out over time.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 24, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kanos posted:

^^ The Juaggu is loving great at 400, IMO. It's absurdly tanky and does huge damage and breaks legs like whoa. It's a little map dependent, though; it suffers badly on any map with super long firing lanes like city or desert. It likes midrange skirmishes like Impact Site and C point on port base. It also suffers badly if your teammates are complete dinks and ignore raids that get up in your grill, but the same can be said of many supports. Your gameplan is to lead with the beam cannon to stagger, down punch them to knock down, then blow their loving legs off with rockets when they go down. You're also super great at picking up on allies downing targets. Pretty much no general's legs will survive a full load of Juaggu rockets. ^^

I really want to give it a lot more tries, then. It is a lovably weird-as-hell looking suit, and I want it to be good. The first (and only time) so far that I used it was Desert, so that would explain why it felt weird. But yeah, holy poo poo the beam cannon hits like a truck. The tip for using the rockets on legs is just what I needed, too - if you blow them up, then they can't run faster than you!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trip report on the Juaggu - once I realized that all I have to do is hold down the fire button to unleash an unholy storm of leg-disabling rockets, I have concluded that It Is Good. You do not run from battle in the Juaggu - you bring it with you.

Now that I made Lance Corporal, I can give it a truly appalling color scheme to add to the intimidation factor of having the poo poo kicked out of you by a weird-rear end elephant/bear lookin' MS. People do not expect to lose to it, and when they do they feel shame.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Trip Report: I took Kanos' advice and discovered the glory that is Juaggu. I have actually made someone ragequit when playing as it. Believe it or not, Raids get really mad when you stagger them, break their legs, and continue to clown on them as they crawl around and fail in their attempts to kill you.

Also, my Liberace-inspired paintjob (hot pinks, hot purples, and bright/shiny gold) adds a bit of insult to injury. I've turned from being 'meh, this suit is crappy' to 'this is my favorite thing ever and I will always play as it given the option' once Kanos clued me into how to play it.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 25, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zaodai posted:

Did there end up being a Goon clan in this that's active?

Also after re-reading AYPWIP's post up a bit about getting trolled for not playing the right suit or loadout, I'm kind of glad I haven't gone into Ranked yet I've just been playing quick matches at 200 or 400 or as close as I can get (with one unrestricted match where I got absolutely poo poo wrecked to complete a daily). I definitely don't know enough about this game to be as optimal as those kind of people would expect. :ohdear:

Zushio posted:

Edit: Red Haven (Rh) has about 20 people, some of which may be goons.

Can confirm that I am a goon that is in Red Haven. There's a decent number of active people too, which makes Clan level-ups occur about once every 3-4 days. Those are nice, since they carry a whopping 10,000 DP which is real cool to have when items start getting a lot more expensive.

Zaodai posted:

The other question I have is what's the optimal thing to use your Tokens on? I put basically all my tokens to that discounted 10 pull that got me the Pezun Dwadger, so that seemed like a given with it being half off and a guaranteed high rarity (if not necessarily good, but I lucked out) pull. Is it just make sure you bank 15 for when the discount cycles in and otherwise just save for 10 pulls of whatever the big bundle deal is?

Yeah, generally it's best to hold onto at least 15 tokens to do a 10-pull on the third week of the month when the first one is half off. Until then, you can get away with 1-2 pulls a day just to have a nice drip feed of new stuff coming in (the daily missions are easy and will give you enough tokens for one pull a day). There's no bonus to doing a 10-pull all at once unless it's the third week of the month, so if you like something on the banner feel free to throw some tokens at it every day to see if it comes up (note: you will usually not get it, but will wind up with some interesting things along the way that you never expected).

If you're feeling especially masochistic, you could hold onto 75 tokens for the third week of the month - usually there is a 3-step 10-pull process where the first 10-pull is half off, the second has an increased multiplier for higher-level materials, and the third is guaranteed to get you at least one 3-star MS. Overall though, I feel that the game is exceptionally generous. If you keep at it, I think your 10th recon crate is always gold which means at bare minimum you stand a good chance of pulling a 3-star MS or weapon (the weapon can be kind of lame, but I just got Lvl 2 Gyan off a gold recon crate so your mileage may vary).

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 28, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly Rated isn't even that hard, plus you'll want to be doing it anyways as your DP and EXP rewards go up the higher your rank is

Eh, it's still a pretty good idea to stick to Quick Match until you get a really good feel for the game. Otherwise, it just feels like you're stuck in the salt mines of D- forever and that can get really frustrating for a newer player. Then, when the game finally clicks for you, you can pull yourself out of the D- salt mines really, really fast.

Space is a lot harder for me to rank up in than Ground, and part of that I think is because Space is pretty weird for just about everyone. It is really easy to flank (and get flanked) in the blink of an eye or get caught out without your team anywhere nearby.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Hey, the Japanese site published some details about the upcoming patch:
https://bo2.ggame.jp/jp/info/?p=22693

Key takeaways:
- They're adding a new map "Abandoned City" to the game.
- They're adjusting respawn points and what direction you face when you respawn.
- They're trying to encourage people to take points by giving you an additional +50 points for suppressing an enemy base to neutral (so you'll get 50 points by taking it from red to grey and then another 50 points for taking it from grey to blue).
- They're also trying to encourage people to plant bombs more often by doubling the point value for the bomb placer (so if everyone else on the team gets +350 points for successful base destruction, the one who planted the bomb gets +700). The overall contribution to team score remains the same, however.
-They're changing the formula for calculating overall placement (e.g., 1st place, 2nd place, etc.). Basically, it was placing a lot of weight on personal score, # of MS destroyed, and diversion. They're readjusting the weights to place a little more emphasis on damage dealt, # of MS lost, and Assist Score with less emphasis on the prior 3. This should really positively impact a lot of people who otherwise do well by dealing a lot of damage and and do a good job limiting the # of MS they lose (because no matter how well you seem to do, losing a lot of MS to the other team is essentially feeding), but don't deal a lot of finishing blows to MS.
-They're changing some input methods so that you won't always be using the Circle button for everything. Basically, any time you need to hold down a button (like for planting bombs, calling airstrikes, or stealing MS) you'll hold down the Square button instead. Circle's basic single-press functionality will remain unchanged.
-Halloween cosmetics are coming to the game for Western players.
-Gogg is being added to the game, and all players will be able to obtain their own 'welfare' Gogg (by completing the event's limited missions).

This will eventually have an official translation - I just summarized some of the main points based on looking at the auto-translate and referring back to the original Japanese when it got confusing.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zushio posted:

I thought Abandoned City was already a map in the game? I have it on good authority the new map is based on New Yark.

The blown-out sports stadium is highly suggestive of New Yark, indeed.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kanos posted:

Space is actually really fun once you get a feel for it, but it's enormously overwhelming to play initially and it has a lot of quirks that ground combat doesn't. The importance of movement in space combat means that speed and thruster advantages are multiplied to an astounding degree, to the point where if you're playing a fast space unit with AMBAC vs a slow multi-purpose without AMBAC it feels like playing a completely different game. I've had some loving amazing cinematic battles in space where I'm dueling a player one on one and we're both dashing around space wreckage and ambushing each other from all angles trying to get an advantage and it goddamn feels like Char vs Amuro or some poo poo.

But, given that getting used to the quirks of ground combat is already pretty overwhelming for new players, I don't really blame them for being put off by space.

(Personally, I keep my space rating deliberately low so that I can knock my space dailies out ASAP, because finding high rank space players outside of JP peak hours is almost impossible.)

You have a much better handle on the game than I (so please correct me) but I think High-Spec AMBAC starts showing up at the 350 cost level? I believe the easiest suit to get that has it is Rick Dom II, with some others including Act Zaku, one of the Gelgoogs, and maybe a few GM variants I can't think of right now.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kanos posted:

The lowest level suit with it is the Gigan at 200, but it's kind of slow. The Act Zaku and the 350 Gelgoog don't have AMBAC. In terms of the DP store, the High Mobility Zaku Late Model and the Early Production Gelgoog at 400 have it. The Gundam has it as well. The Rick Dom II is indeed pretty easy to get since it's a 1*, and it has AMBAC, Forced Injector, AND Space Specialization, so piloting it in space feels like a dream.

Of note is that if you can't get AMBAC, having a shitload of thrusters and Forced Injector accomplishes much the same role. What AMBAC does is make your movement more precise and efficient; if you have a giant pile of boost to play with and can cancel boosts into each other, AMBAC is less necessary to dance around. The Psycommu Zaku doesn't have AMBAC but it's one of the fastest and most maneuverable units in space.

Ah, gotcha. I made a bad assumption in that because the Act Zaku Commander Type has AMBAC, so the base model ought to have it as well.

Other weird differences despite suit names include Gyan not having AMBAC, but Gyan Eos having it (Gyan Eos starts at 400 cost though). Rick Dom doesn't have AMBAC either though, but as covered earlier Rick Dom II does.

Speaking of Gyan - any tips for playing it? Gyan feels a little weird because it has such a strong melee attack without any easy staggers, and its melee doesn't seem to have a lot of sweeping motions so much as strong thrusts. This suggests to me that Gyan wants to try to flank enemies and take advantage of other teammates staggering them in order to swoop in and stab them to death. Coupled with its weak resistances for a 400/450 cost, it definitely does not want to be the subject of focus fire or wide-open spaces (and the hide bombs do give it a method of escape from pursuers). The fact that it doesn't really have a lot of sweeping attacks also suggests to me that it is a good team player in melee fights, as it isn't going to stagger the poo poo out of nearby teammates when trying to beat the opponent to death.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The game definitely has some ebbs and flows. Some days, you're a goddamn killing machine and everyone starts targeting you because you're the harbinger of death. Other days you're off in a corner (because your frontline instantly evaporated when they saw a support charging them) getting wombo-combo'd to death by a bunch of people that just seem to perfectly coordinate a melee gangbang without getting in each other's way.

Whatever you do, don't be the guy that ragequits a match just because you're down 1000 to 100 in the first minute. I've seen some teams snatch victory from the jaws of defeat once they realize they need to start playing as a unit after getting blanked like that. Hell, I've seen teams that had no business winning pull out a victory because they actually played the points and planted bombs while the rest of enemy team sits there jerking themselves over how good they are (only to lose).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Blisster posted:

I have been on a big mecha kick lately so this is good timing to discover this game! Seems cool so far, I have only played a few matches but I have a Gyan, a Pale Rider Cavalry and a lvl 4 Desert Zaku. Been most successful with the Pale Rider so far, it seems super versatile.

Gyan is super map-dependent. Anything wide-open it doesn't really do well on since it has paper-thin resistances for its cost and it doesn't really have any sweeping melee attacks that would help it catch opponents when there's a lot of space. On city maps it can be a goddamn terror, though. Any Support that you catch is essentially dead because you can take them from 100 percent to 0 in a single combo without any fancy tricks. You can even do a boatload of damage to General suits despite type disadvantage, too. People know this about the Gyan though, so what you need to do is use the sheer threat you pose to punish mistakes.

A lot of Supports are going to be scared shitless when you get near (the Gyan is fast - nearly as fast as a Dom - and has a ton of thrust gauge to boot), so you can usually bait a panic tackle to punish. Generals can be a lot trickier, since at that cost point they almost always have emergency evasion to get themselves out of a bind and they feel a bit more confident due to type advantage. Some of them are just going to try for the counter though, so you can try to boost toward them to bait it and as a way to get around them. Overall though, Gyan can be a great team player because its mere presence can put a lot of pressure on the enemy team.

Generally though, Gyan needs support even more than most Raids. Since it doesn't have an easy stagger of its own, it has a rougher time setting up melee combos. But a nearby teammate can supply the stagger and then Gyan can punish.

Does anyone have any advice for playing Act Zaku Commander Type, though? The lack of Emergency Evasion is killing me (literally) because I just get wombo combo'd all day long and have no easy way to escape the stagger. Because I also lack the Act Zaku Beam Rifle too, I also don't have any easy staggers to set up my own combos.

The impression I get from its skills, though, is that I should be boosting around all the goddamn time instead of trying to play it like a normal suit. Rather than managing the boost gauge, I should just be Over Boosting everywhere to maximize my Maneuver Armor and Forced Injector to dance around and try to break through to the Supports (which also means in terms of parts, I want the one that reduces the overheat cooldown time since that will yield 3x greater returns once the Over Boost expires). Naturally though, I'll probably want to get the Act Zaku BR ASAP because it would be nice to be able to set up staggers for combos.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Edit: Double post

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 5, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kanos posted:

It's mostly a numbers game. You're not really doing yourself any favors by playing outside a mobile suit's proverbial box; most of the time you're better off using a mobile suit that fits into the box you want rather than trying to force a square peg into a round hole. It's totally understandable to not like playing shotgun suits or bazooka suits or whatever but the solution to that is to play a suit better suited to your tastes almost 100% of the time.

I completely agree. I feel like putting a machinegun on the Efreet kind of runs counter to its purpose - to absolutely dumpster Raids - whereas the shotgun fits this role perfectly. Being able to ignore Raids' Maneuver Armor/Damage Control with a single shot (a capability shared by no other weapon) is a Big Deal in a game where staggering to set up for melee combos is the dominant meta. Not to mention that the ranges at which you're staggering with the shotgun means that even with Emergency Evasion the Raid is likely going to eat a melee combo from your Efreet (which hurts).

That being said, I think you really need a wired connection to play with shotguns - the wonky nature of the netcode means that anything other than low latency will likely see most of your pellets miss, even at close range. I noticed an immediate difference in how effective the shotgun was when I switched from wireless to wired.

Going along with the whole 'proverbial box', I feel like that's a big part of learning the game - figuring out what maps and situations different suits are most effective and taking the time to learn how they work. I thought Juaggu was a hot dumpster fired when I first played it, but Kanos told me to take it for a spin on a different map (and I learned that its rockets are a rapid-fire weapon, not a single-shot deal like bazookas) and use the Quad MPCs as a set-up weapon: after that, it went from bad to glorious. I now feel great joy when I see a 400-cost Ground Map go up on rotation because that means I can play Juaggu to my heart's content (well, except when the map is the Open Desert). The horrible hot neon pink/purple/green/gold paint job I gave it also helps.

There are always going to be some suits that are generally very effective (Gundam), but there's always a situation where another suit will excel where others you have won't - and that's what makes learning and playing the game kind of fun. You can have a bunch of suits that all fall into the same 'class', but the way they play in practice will be radically different (G-Line Assault and Act Zaku Commander Type are both Raids, but boy howdy are they different).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Oh Snapple! posted:

I had 5 games in a row this morning where someone blatantly sat and waited until the last 5 seconds on the timer to ready up, all different people, and I am not a fan of it.

It's unfortunate - I think they're people trying to wait and see if someone else will activate an encourage bonus so that they can continue to sit on theirs.

What I am not a fan of is the Rated Match salt mines. I'm more than happy to acknowledge that I am probably not the best player at the game, but it doesn't make it any less exhausting to play a game, win, beat your rival, and rank up only for the very next game to set you back a rank because of an extreme mismatch (you lose and you're matched up against a rival who just totally stomps your stats, even if you have the best stats on your team). I feel like you really need to play Rated with a group if you want to get out of the D/C ranks because the variation in teams/skill at the D ranks is all over the place.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Chachi posted:

The drop rates for anything of value are pathetic. Every single pull I've made has given me a weapon of level 3 to 5, and only two of those have been for suits that I even have. They're not high enough level to use the weapons, though, so in the bin this game goes.

Gacha gives and gacha takes. About two weeks ago I had a pretty good hot streak going with the gacha where I was getting some very solid two-star suits on one-pulls with what felt like every other transport being a Fat Uncle (so at least a silver chest). Now I've seen the Medea pretty much every day for the past two weeks when I do a daily pull and it usually gives me garbage (e.g., I have a complete set of armaments for a higher-level Gatsha and Efreet Nacht, but I never pull either of those suits).

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

For a good time, have a decent 200 cost suit and queue up for those. Half the time, you're up against newbies who didn't do any of the training and thus don't have the 200 cost GM Trainer that the game gives you for free (so they'll sortie in 100 costs). The other half of the time, you're up against people who know the game but your suits have such a limited number of bells and whistles that you get a pretty intense match-up. In other words, you either get a pubstomp or a good fight and either way both are pretty great.

Also, good 200 costs are pretty cheap in the Recycle Shop. I picked up a L1 S-Type Zaku for maybe like 20 tickets and it's a fantastic suit at that cost point. Once you hit Corporal, you can also pick up a L1 Dra-C from the DP Store that is also fairly great in 200 cost Space matches (especially since you're going to run into the galaxy-brain folks who decide to take a Support given that nearly everyone else only has a General suit at the 200 cost level.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 11, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zaodai posted:

On the Ground, I love my GM Cannon at 200. Level 3 Beam Spray gun for DPS and the cannon for stagger and range, throw everybody in the trash. You're not going to win 1v2s obviously, but as long as you can keep the enemy in front of you and make sure your close range fights aren't really more than 1 target at a time, you'll shred everything. You don't get an evasive roll or combo controller, so you do have to be a bit more careful about positioning than GM Trainer, but you're also not entirely reliant on bazooka melee combos any of them that thing they can win a ranged fight against you are going to be shocked how quickly they die to beam spray gun hits.

Yeah, the BSG has surprising output for its stats. On top of that, I feel like a lot of people (myself included) are adding more ballistic resistance than beam resistance given the prevalence of ballistic weapons at low cost points, which really allows the BSG to punch above weight (especially at L3). GM Cannon also has a shield, which really puts it above the Gigan and Zaku Cannon on the Ground.

Does anyone else have the Zaku II F2? It seems pretty ordinary, but it does have a unique weapon (the MMP-78 Anti-Air) that makes it feel a bit more weird than just your standard Zaku. It's probably better with a Bazooka given it meh Ranged Boost but decent Melee Boost that gives it more of an ability to take advantage of a stagger.

Also - I think if you take a higher-level weapon than the level of the suit, it adds at least 50 points to your suit 'cost' - so if you have a L1 300 cost suit and equip it with a L3 ranged weapon, it will cost 350 instead. It's not a well-explained system, though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

AYPWIP posted:

Outside of Unrestricted (where you're welcome to field a level 1 Zaku 2 with a level 5 gun), if you take a weapon that's higher level than the suit it'll downgrade it to the highest-level points-appropriate weapon you own. If you don't own any other versions, you get the level 1.

So if you own levels 1, 2, and 4 of a weapon and try to equip the level 4 to your level 3 suit, the game will downgrade you to the level 2. This means that level 2 weapons make level 1 weapons strictly obsolete, but everything else is worth owning if you have a level-appropriate suit.

Does the same work if you have a L3 weapon? The reason why I asked after the Zaku II F2 is because I have a L1 F2 but the L3 MMP-78 AA. However, I don't have the L1 or L2 version of the MMP-78 AA. I've been holding back from playing the F2 because I believe that I need to have the L1 version to downgrade to (and if I'm going to play the F2, I want to play into its gimmick).

If that's not the case, though, and all I need is any Level of the weapon... :getin:

(Note - if you can sub in higher level versions of the weapon from the gacha even if you don't have the L1 version, this makes the gacha a lot kinder and could wind up saving you a lot of DP in the long run).

Also, I'm pretty sure (based on my free training testing) that if you take a low-cost suit with a high-level weapon, it will try to adjust your cost upwards. I don't know what the precise formula is, but I believe this is to balance things out/provide a disincentive to building one-shot wonders that punch at that weight but are worth practically nothing when destroyed.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kanos posted:

It's a bit of a hipster suit but I'm never sad to see one on my team since if you can aim the AA gun it's really good.

What else would you consider to be a bit of a hipster suit? Sometimes it's fun playing as odd suits that don't see much play.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Sjs00 posted:

The strange Guard GM with the enormous shield is a pretty niche suit

I feel like I see it a lot more often than other Raids (including Efreet DS) at the 300-400 cost level, which is weird for being a niche hipster gimmick suit. If I'm playing Support, I generally consider it the least threatening Raid that I could come up against for a lot of the aforementioned reasons - it's slow and has a difficult time getting into the right melee range (since the dagger is relatively short range). That being said, the amount of damage that shield can take and its overall coverage can be pretty frustrating for a General suit.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The Dra-C is a ton of fun. Granted, you're bait for every single bluezooka in the room (and there are a ton), but you are an absolute unholy terror to the enemy's supports.

Also, the Zaku II F2 is a lot of fun, too! People don't seem to realize that you can chain stagger the living poo poo out of them and get very surprised when the AA gun staggers them in two shots.

Now I'm trying to learn the Zaku R2A (HiMo Late Model) with the boombox. Raids seem generally unaware of the amount of hurt you're able to dish out with the boombox->grenade combo, and it does a fair amount of good work on Generals too.

Edit: I will say that I really dislike the bluezooka meta at the 300 cost in Space. Part of it is because there are few great Space suits at 300 cost (compared to ground which is spoiling in riches at that cost level), part of it is how the game handles lag. Even with good latency (5 bars), it feels like the game is very generous to my opponents (they get off their melee combo even if I dodge roll before they hit me) and not very generous to me (I never land my melee combo despite being at the same distance) with regards to lag, which makes the bluezook meta 'feel' bad.

Maybe I just haven't found the suit that 'clicks' yet at that cost point for me. At 400 and above, the Gyan Eos works for me (high speed, low 'drag' (High-Spec AMBAC), powerful melee, easy stagger, and just eats all of the Raids that start becoming popular at that level), whereas at around 200 either the S-Type Zaku or Dra-C do it for me.

Edit:

Kanos posted:

This is a function of average player skill across your team, unfortunately. Teams that scatter all over and don't support each other but play well individually are playing just as badly as a guy who hits 0% of his shots and runs around and dies. It's frustrating, but this game is MOBA-esque in that you're slapped onto a team with a bunch of strangers and you are absolutely reliant on them working together in at least a vague manner to succeed. It's also a problem that diminishes heavily(but never entirely goes away) as you rank up and the average player skill level increases.

1000x this. I've been having fun with the Dra-C lately, but that's because Dra-C is an excellent pub-stomper. For the record - my Space Rank is D+ (I've had a difficult time gaining rank because I'm doing a terrible job of maximizing my gains when 400/450 Space matches are available - that's when I get to use Gyan Eos, which is probably my best Space suit), so I have a fairly easy time getting stuck in with lower-tier pubs when I queue up for 200 Space matches.

Regardless - Dra-C does terribly when there's any amount of concentrated fire on it. In a 5v5 match, 3-4 of the enemy team are going to be in General suits and at least one of them is going to have the good sense to equip a bazooka. If the team sticks together and coordinates, they'll vaporize a Dra-C the moment it staggers. So you need a coordinated team of your own to distract the Generals or else you're just free points.

Say the team is uncoordinated - like you might find in a match populated by D-rankers - then the Dra-C is an unholy terror. It's fairly easy to catch Supports out in the open without backup and then you just panzerfaust -> down melee -> down melee and congratulations, you just 100-0'd them (I prefer to stagger with the machinegun even though I know that opens me up to return fire, but ymmv). Even General suits are fair game - find one that's distracted, get behind them and treat them like a Support. Even with type disadvantage, the down melee charge will still deal around 2000 damage which is a significant portion of any suit's life at that cost point.

Smart teams are going to shut that poo poo down hard, though. In any sort of group setting, a good enemy team is not going to let you go free long enough to chain into the second saber charge and will kill the poo poo out of you if you go for it.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 20, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Numlock posted:

I really like them as well as this seems to be my natural play style. Run around and kite people with guns until I see an opportunity to get in a risk free slash or two then boost away. Are there other suits that lend themselves to this?

I believe Kampfer is basically what you said.txt

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The Zaku Flipper is definitely the Next Hipster Suit. Such a weird array of skills and weapons on a Raid-type suit...

Edit: Holy poo poo, I will never make fun of its down-melee damage against Supports. You might think it's weak since it's using Blow (that's right - the melee attack that deals 1000 damage at L1), but it's actually a 2-hit combo - the first is a rising knee, the second is a falling hammer blow. Each will deal about 2000 damage to a Support for a total of about 4000 damage.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 22, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Luicypher, did we just get brutalized in a 450 together?

Did we? Because I am still feeling how brutal that was even today. That team was horrifically well-coordinated to the point where three of them were ganging me in melee and they somehow weren't getting in each other's way or knocking each other down.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zaodai posted:

There really should be some kind of mandatory training for the Ace and Target Shuffling modes. They're not hard to understand, but those modes are frustrating as hell because your team goes from merely incompetent to actively detrimental.

gently caress pubbies.

Let me guess - some members of your team decided to go plant the bomb, leaving you 1-2 suits down during the giant team fight in which you inevitably get massacred? Because that did not just happen to me in every Target Shuffling match my team lost, no sir :rolleyes:

Kanos posted:

Ace Match is honestly a bad format in general. It's subject to ridiculous point swings that render the first 5 minutes of the match completely pointless because of how insane the ace modifier is and your team can get straight up loving screwed if the guy who gets ace happens to be on a terrible suit for being the ace, of which there are many. If your team gets a melee focused raid or bluezooka as your ace due to them doing well early on, you are at a huge disadvantage against a team that happens to get something like a Pale Rider Cavalry as ace just because of how much harder it is to score last hits on some suits compared to others.

It's a format where playing the game well can actively sabotage your team's chance of success, which is just horrible design. Target Shuffling is even worse because it throws out the ace selection mechanic and replaces it with a giant loving mess of RNG instead!

Yeah, I gotta agree here. When I see Ace Match in my Rated Match queue, I steer the gently caress away from it. There are too many factors at play (which you outline above) that can throw the entire game to the point where gambling your rating on it is not a good idea.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I just realized - if they added the GP-04 to the game (which was never actually produced - what little of it existed before the EFSF passed on it became the Gerbera Tetra), then there's really nothing preventing them from going into everyone's favorite 'what if?' scenario - what if the Gyan became Zeon's next-generation mobile suit over the Gelgoog?

I, for one, would welcome our new Gyan Krieger overlords.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I should probably clarify and say since they added the GP04 to the game (as it was never actually completed - the half-finished unit was refit as the Gerbera Tetra), they opened up a lot of possibilities for adding units to the game that don't exist in the core timeline. In other words, if they can add the GP04 to the lineup, then they could add the Gyan Krieger.

Kanos posted:

I'd really like to see the toolkit they come up with for the Gyan Cannon.

Or even just what type of suit they decide to make it - I think the natural inclination is to make it a Support unit, but I can actually see a fair case for making it a General suit or even a Raid. The whole shtick of the Gyan Cannon is 'long-range unit that doesn't suck in melee', so I think there might be some hesitation to make it a Support with a decent Melee Combo Controller skill (because then it might actually be able to fend off a Raid) which would make General or even Raid more 'natural' choices to represent its toolkit (although it might get a little stale if every Gyan except Eos was a Raid)

Either way - more Gyans mean more MS that can do a lance charge, which has become my absolute favorite melee attack in this game. It is hilariously punishable - the attack is telegraphed so hard that even low-skill players can easily counter it. But it's also exceedingly generous - you can pull it off at distances most people don't expect from melee attacks to take greater advantage of staggers, it will reliably hit anything in front of you, it has a ton of forward momentum so you can boost off in the other direction or hit someone taking cover behind an opponent, and it hits like a truck.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 27, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Zushio posted:

There are suits I've never even heard of in this game and I thought I was extremely well versed in Gundam. MAHQ was my homepage for years. I'm pretty sure the eventual goal is to literally have every mobile suit ever in the game.

Like seriously, what the hell is a Zogock.

Zogock - along with Juaggu - is an amphibious MS that Zeon designed specifically for invading Jaburo, back when they had no idea where the gently caress the actual base was other than 'South America + Rivers'. Each Jaburo Invasion MS was extremely specialized for a specific role. You have one that is just for digging underground to find and/or breach into Jaburo (Agg), two for close combat (Zogock/Agguguy), and one for fire support (Juaggu). The idea was that they would send all of these suits through the water to evade Jaburo's air defenses and use Aggs dig a bunch of tunnels until they lucked into Jaburo. From there, all the other MS would go through the entrances created by the Aggs to invade.

Then Char discovered a secret entrance to Jaburo and Zeon said 'gently caress it' and invaded it without these MS (since they hadn't produced them in sufficient numbers yet, Char saved them a ton of trouble by actually finding an entrance rather than Zeon needing to find it, and Zeon was willing to bet the farm on invading via Char's entrance with its existing MS forces since they had a ton of those).

:spergin: Edit/Fun fact: You can achieve an early Zeon victory in the Gihren's Greed games with these MS. Basically, once you have enough major areas and you've completed research into the Acguy, you'll have the option of researching these MS. Once you've developed them, you'll be able to invade Jaburo without needing to capture every single other major area in the game! The catch? You can invade Jaburo with only these MS, and only via land/sea (so you can't drop them from orbit via HLV). It can be challenging to take on the Federation's full might with such a limited selection of MS to do so... The only other ways you can invade Jaburo is by following the plot of Mobile Suit Gundam closely such that Char finds the secret entrance (and as such you have no limitations on MS you can take) or at the end of the game when Gato and Delaz notice Gihren's irritation and ask him "Hey, why not try Operation British again now that we have complete dominance over space?" Dropping a colony (which in the context of Operation British 2, is Side 7) turns out to be a very expedient way of unearthing Jaburo and enabling it to be invaded.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 27, 2019

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Kanos posted:

The Eos actually doesn't do the lance charge, so it's not guaranteed that any further spear-equipped Gyans would.

That is true - it does a staff spin rather than a charge. The Eos' melee weapon is more of a bladed-tipped staff rather than a spear though, and the High-Mobility Gyan most assuredly carries a beam lance. That would probably give it a very similar moveset to the G-Line Assault Armor's heat lance.

Adding the Gyan MP would be pretty similar to the Gelgoog Early/Gelgoog divide though, likely giving an option to roll with a Gyan at 300 cost. That tier is so rife with Raid diversity though that I'm not sure adding a 300 cost Gyan would have much of an impact/be preferable to other options, unless they gave it some sort of space specialization (as Efreet DS/Nacht more or less have the 300 cost ground Raid tier on lock).

drrockso20 posted:

One of the funnier things is that in the original plans for the original show when it was going to be 52 episodes instead of the length it ended up being, in the final episode the plan was for the Gundam to be disabled not by Char, but by a random mook piloting a Gigan*

*though the show had a tendency of changing around names for units a lot, so they could have meant a different unit instead

It beats the original novelization in which Amuro shacks up with Sayla and Char kills Amuro despite Amuro's attempts to say 'Hey, we're not the enemy - the Zabis are!', though?

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

drrockso20 posted:

It wasn't Char it was some faceless mook

:spergin: Derp. You are correct. Char tried to stop the mook from doing so (because he finally got the message), but that mook shot Amuro with a beam cannon anyways.