Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hellburger99 posted:

Is there any PVE in this or is it strictly PVP? I like robots but I'm terrible at fighting real people online.

There's a couple training missions and a practice mode with rudimentary AI, but otherwise it's pure PVP at the moment

Also I might have to type up an effortpost about the game to explain more about it's system and mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

OxMan posted:

I have been playing this for the last couple of weeks, I greatly enjoyed the bf2 style original and this is more of the same, but on smaller maps and way fewer people (original was PC 25v25 iirc)

A few very important tips:

Teamwork is GOD. The stun mechanics make it so. Don't go for a knockdown if you and a teammate are stunning. If you chain them they'll not get invincibility unless you knock them down (over in space)

Most MS have either natural combos or best DPS cycles. With bazookas and such aim at the ground/legs, you can still get a splash damage stun sometimes even if you miss the direct hit. In space you can do this with walls people hide behind, but bazookas in space are much harder in general. Tackle to melee is a pretty universal combo. Some suits like the Pezun Dwadge or some Doms can tackle to bazooka to melee. Sometimes this can work with grenades or chest explosives depending on switch speed of individual weapons. You can usually start out with a high reload time weapon then switch through the rest. Weapons continue reloading even if they're not equipped, but not if you're out of the suit.

The suit trinity gets more and more important the higher you go in rank. Generals beat raids beat supports. However since a lot of well played supports can stunlock from a distance in practice this means in a 5 or 6 man game you'll have a majority of general suits with 1 or 2 supports and maaaaybe a raid.

Much like in the series, beams>bullets. This goes double for supports who have a typically easier time landing hits with beams than grenades.

Capturing points barely matters. You get 50 points for one, whereas destroying a mobile suit nets you hundreds. They're ONLY for moving the fight once you've cleared a whole area. Do not chase points, it's a waste of time and real points that actually count. Stick with your team. Don't chase almost dead dudes either, you'll usually get stunlocked and wrecked for doing so. Exception is space with very fast suits.

Finally, the most important point for last: Don't loving die. Run the hell away and repair. On small maps, to your base to double repair speed. Dying is how you give the enemy points. Repairing takes a long time and deprives teammates of your support sure, but is still preferable 99 percent of the time. It doesn't matter if you all run and get pushed back to your spawn, you can easily win the game there so long as you get more kills. I'm in C ranks where people still don't understand this paragraph.

EffEmmEll on PSN. Add me if y'all wanna play rated.

I think you're getting that mixed up with Mobile Suit Gundam Online which is something completely different(and is still active), this one is a sequel to a PS3 game that played very similarly

Also some pretty good advice overall, indeed in a six man team the ideal team layout is usually 3 Generals, 2 Supports, and 1 Raid(with 5v5 it's basically the same ratio just with only 1 of both Support and Raid)

Also point costs for Suits is fairly important, if you're in a 400 cost match you'll generally not want to go lower than 350 for example, and this generally applies to all cost levels(except 200, while there are 100 and 150 cost units in the game, they are a complete trap to actually use, they basically only exist so that some 200 through 300 cost suits can be a higher level than they'd normally be*), including Cost Unlimited matches

Lastly in terms of what suits will eventually be in the game, while everything so far has been pre-Zeta in terms of development, the game itself is set after Char's Counterattack(with the whole premise that you're playing as members of a PMC being the excuse for why this game doesn't have faction restrictions like the first game did), the beta for the game included the GM III as a unit, and while the highest cost units in the game at the moment are at 550, the stats section shows that costs will eventually get as high as 700, so we'll probably be seeing stuff from Zeta Gundam and onward eventually(especially since they've already gone through a lot of the OYW era stuff by this point, though oddly enough they still haven't added the Gogg, it's the only Mobile Suit from the original series not to have shown up yet)

*which leads to certain suits like the GM Cannon to be surprisingly strong at 300, cause it's a level 4 suit at that cost and thus can equip a level 4 machine gun and just plain shred General suits

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Valhawk posted:

Lots of talk about bazookas and beams, but let me stick up for the humble machine gun. If used effectively it can output a significant amount of damage much more constantly than other weapon types. When combined with parts that increase the size of the auto-aim ring you can focus on dodging and placement while ticking away one to two hundred damage every half second.

The constant flow of damage also has a wonderful psychological pressure effect on the opponent since they're getting red damage warnings the entire time and they won't necessarily be able to predict when the stun will trigger making it harder for them to focus on actually fighting back. With the Armored GM, I can pretty consistently keep fire on an enemy the entire clip while still being mobile enough to make it difficult for them to lay a hit back on me.

In essence the big advantage of machine guns is trading immediate damage for overall dps, since you rarely have to worry about missing compared to a beam or a bazooka which is a bit more dicey.

Yeah Machine Guns can be pretty strong with the right suit, and even the weaker ones can be useful for keeping pressure on(I've gotten kills with vulcans more than a few times)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zushio posted:

Report: The G-Line Assault Armor is a loving monster.

Also... I noticed we din't have a clan. So... join the clan I am in. We are Red Haven (Tag: Rh) and doing very well frankly. Pretty sure no one is a CHUD, but I did just meet then a few days ago. I'm sure we can talk the owner in to making it an unofficial goon clan. I mean, if we're doing our own thing let's Goon this poo poo. But I feel like this one might not get much traction here.

Oh, and don't forget the hanger across from the rewards guy. I did not notice it for almost a week, but it is a passive upgrade for your suits. It's slow as hell (72 hours for 100 points) but it's pretty nice (about 1000 expansion points a month if you stay on to of it). Most suits are between 1000 - 1500 to max. Low cost suits are less. Don't waste hours on anything rank 150 or 100. Unless you feel really confident in that gimmick build.

Yeah upgrading is often really slow, however it's worth mentioning that whenever you get a duplicate item in the gacha you'll get some tickets you can use to speed up the process, and if the duplicate is a mobile suit then you'll also get some development points for free(for example from the ten free units promotion, since I had most of them already I got points for the dupes, often enough to get them through the first level of development if they weren't already there)

Also in regards to stats, pay attention to what they are on a suit, among other things they'll inform you whether to focus on ranged or melee combat with that suit, and said stats have a rather visible effect on how you perform in combat(for example on the stats that boost melee or ranged attacks, each point you have is equal to a 1% increase in damage for a weapon of that type, so if you had a ranged stat of 25 then you'll do 25% more damage than what your weapon's listed damage is, inversely for the three types of damage resistance the same applies, so some suits can tank bullets or explosives than they can beams or melee for example), this means that some of the extra equipment you can put on suits can be surprisingly strong, especially if you stack several of that category together

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Anora posted:

This game kinda sucks, is there anyway to make the turning speed not "minimum on all other games."

You get used to it pretty quickly

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Numlock posted:

So is there a guide that explains upgrading and such?

I bought a lvl 2 gun and while I can equip it the game won’t let me sortie with it.

A suit can only equip a weapon up to it's own level, so a lvl 1 suit can't use a higher level gun

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Jomo posted:

Just downloaded the game and it seems right up my ally.

Are the gold coins you get just for buying "Supply Drops" (lootboxes) from the store? And if so which one out of the 3 (Boosted, Limited, Regular) should I be purchasing? This is the first lootbox game I've ever played since I tend to stay away from all other AAA ones like the plague, so I've got no idea.

Add me on PSN katamari_sushi.

Unless there's a promotional event going on like right now that either reduces the cost of a ten pull or guaranteed a certain type of pull you never want to do ten pulls as they otherwise have literally no point as the odds don't change from doing them separately

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Numlock posted:

Wait is there team dmg in this game? I’m so so very sorry random pubbie dudes I’ve shot in the back...

There isn't, but you can knock over or stun teammates with certain attacks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

So I just played a space match and jumped out of my Guncannon before it exploded; managed to stay alive in the normal suit until there was a glowing 'MS ready' symbol on the hud. Couldn't figure out how to recall the MS though. Did I need to be at a friendly control point and hold a button?

That or at your ship

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zaodai posted:

So does this mean that low level but high rarity drops are kind of poo poo? I actually came here to ask this, as I had enough tokens for the 10 pull for 15 tokens and my three star from that was a level 1 Pezun Dwadge (400 cost). It's a neat thing, though it seems entirely burst from medium range focused (which is fine), and so if I can't put any upgraded guns on it because it's level 1 and there's no way to raise it in levels simply having to get lucky to get a higher level one some other time, then it doesn't really seem like there'd be a point, which is where my confusion is.

In the one game I've played it, it was a ground Ace game and I turned a loss into a victory by double tapping the enemy Ace as he was trying to retrea to heal with the Hyper Bazooka it has. Not the easiest thing in the world to aim, and while the power level on the bar says its like 2200 or something it only hits for maybe 450-ish? It will overheat after back to back shots guaranteed because its heat is so high but at least you have the option if you absolutely need a finisher shot.

I am very bad at this game, but at least it's fun while I'm trundling along in D- rank quick matches trying to figure things out.

Not really, a level 1 suit at a higher cost often has a bunch of other perks to make up for that, for example the Pezun Dowadge has it's beam bazooka which gives it a degree of firepower that few other 400 cost General suits can match(most others of that type either rely on stunning into a melee combo or have to take more time to deal an equivalent amount of damage through sustained ranged fire with a machine gun or beam gun), it's chest beam gun is one of the most versatile secondary weapons in the game(at mid range it allows one to sustain fire while the beam bazooka cools down, while at close range it will stun enemies allowing for a melee combo), and while the Pezun Dowadge isn't keyed primarily for melee combat in it's stats, it's beam saber is still a very solid choice with a respectable amount of damage

Also a reminder for people, if you do a tackle at just the right moment during an enemy's melee attack you'll counter them, also different melee attacks have different "priorities" so some are easier to counter than others(for example a fist based attack from a Support suit has the lowest priority, while the handful of polearm style weapons especially if used by a Raid have the highest priority), this is one of the reasons why at lower costs Zakus can feel kinda inferior to GM type suits, as Heat Hawks have a lower priority than Beam Sabers do on top of the lower range they already have

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zushio posted:

Protip: Paint your Gerbera Tetra like a bright, shiney bumblebee and zip around behind enemy lines until you get someone's attention.

Then, boost like mad back to your own team. People seem to get laser focused on you and fly right in to you entire waiting team. It is hilarious when you turn around and see someone who was near full health floating in space with a tiny tick left.

Same tip also will work with suits like the Dra-C

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zaodai posted:

Did there end up being a Goon clan in this that's active?

Also after re-reading AYPWIP's post up a bit about getting trolled for not playing the right suit or loadout, I'm kind of glad I haven't gone into Ranked yet I've just been playing quick matches at 200 or 400 or as close as I can get (with one unrestricted match where I got absolutely poo poo wrecked to complete a daily). I definitely don't know enough about this game to be as optimal as those kind of people would expect. :ohdear:

Honestly Rated isn't even that hard, plus you'll want to be doing it anyways as your DP and EXP rewards go up the higher your rank is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I still prefer the old way Space used to control, it felt a lot more precise than the current one, even if it wasn't quite as intuitive

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Not surprising really, we share the same servers as the Japanese players, so things can get kinda wonky sometimes, especially if you're playing over Wi-Fi and not a direct router connection, cause the PS4 has a REALLY lovely wireless card

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Valhawk posted:

It also doesn't help that the only space map that ever shows up in rating is Fortress the most boring one.

Yeah that one is terrible, it basically invalidates all but a handful of Support suits, and is even worse about needing stun to succeed than ground is

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanos posted:

Space Fortress was actually added to the game because the more open space maps basically invalidated close ranged play.

Eh that is a lot better in my opinion anyway, Melee combat in this game is a janky mess at best

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Overall I think the worst thing about this game is it's ridiculous over-reliance on stun as a mechanic, indeed that is a consistent issue in multiplayer Gundam games, the game would be so much better if stun wasn't such an omnipresent mechanic

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I'd be more than glad to see bazookas get their damage doubled or something if it meant they no longer stunned, either that or a massive nerf to melee damage from General suits, it's honestly kinda idiotic that in many respects General class suits are often better suited for melee combat than Raids are because of the Bazooka/Melee combo*

*which ties into a really ancient opinion of mine that the RPS triangle would make a lot more sense if it went Raid->General->Support rather than General->Raid->Support

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

It mostly comes down to the fact that stun is an inherently unfun thing to deal with(at least when it's as omnipresent as it is in GBO), and yet it is such an unusually persistent thing in Japanese developed PvP games

And remember I'm not just forming these opinions out of nowhere, I've been playing this game since the day the Japanese version launched last July, so I'd say they have some weight to them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanos posted:

This is basically what Emergency Evasion does. If you eat a stagger you can mash out with EE before they can follow up(provided the stagger comes from outside of basically melee range).

I think if you were able to do an EE or a Boost Tackle at any time(except obviously if you're knocked prone or crouched or lying prone), even when stunned it would be a lot more tolerable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

I decided to try out my Gigan this evening and it rolling out of the ship is my new favorite thing :3:

Have you seen how the Acguy deploys yet?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

This is why I overall prefer space, it's a lot harder to pull off stuns or consistently land melee attacks there, makes it feel like there's more skill involved than memorizing a specific overpowered combo

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zaodai posted:

And as for saving your tokens, when I asked the consensus was save 15 for the third week of the month when there's a discounted 10 pull that gets you a guaranteed 3-star. Beyond that, use them on pulls whenever you want or save them for when a Suit you really want is added to the shop. The most optimal but boring thing would be to save 75 for the third week of the month, because the system for that special is a half price 10 pull with a guaranteed 3-star for step 1, then you can do a full price 10 pull for Step 2 of the promotion that gets you something slightly better, and then one more full price 10 pull for step 3 that gets you something thats supposed to be very strong.

Also, unlike many other gacha games there is apparently no bonus for a regular Supply Drop 10 pull, so there's no point in saving your tokens to do 10 at once if you're just getting the regular supply drops.

Actually the first of the three steps only has a discount to it's price, not any boosts on what you might pull

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanos posted:

The Efreet is so good, is so cheap(20k dp), and comes in so early(lance corporal 5), that I honestly think pretty much everyone should have one unless the thought of close combat makes them want to faint. It's a top tier suit at a bargain basement price.

To sum up its gimmick: you've got a shotgun, the godking of close ranged stagger weapons, which punches through every form of stagger resistance(including maneuver armor and the Gogg's thing) and is also basically hitscan. You've got a big sword with great vertical melee attacks and a huge melee bonus. You've got smoke canisters that make you disappear off radar for 10 seconds. All of these tools combine to make you a nightmare in close engagements. By sticking to tight terrain you can force the enemy into your zone of influence and either bowl them over with your superior close-in tools or fake them out by popping smoke and flanking once they lose LOS on you. You also make a loving fantastic bodyguard because there is no raid in your cost class that has a snowball's chance in hell at beating you in a fair fight. Basically the only place where the suit is totally useless is at long range engagements, but this weakness can be nullified by playing the terrain - every map in the game has areas where knife fighting is mandatory and long range shooting is difficult.

It's a fairly relaxing suit to play because your tools are simple and brutally effective and you have a very clear gameplan that your suit is very good at. The player skills it leans on(close combat aiming, melee fighting, emergency evasion/tackle usage) are all universal skills that every single suit relies on to some degree, too, so it's a good trainer suit.

(It also helps that it wrecks the living poo poo out of the Efreet(DS), which is the scourge of the cost tier in terms of raids.)

Worth mentioning that the regular Efreet can also use the machine gun that the Zaku II Kai comes with, which turns it into a machine that is very versatile at multiple ranges

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah I fought one last night, turns out the Pezun Dowadge counters it pretty hard

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

So do you get better gacha odds or something when you advance rating

Nah, just better DP and EXP

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I'm relatively fine with it since anything in the Gacha will eventually make it's way to the Recycle Ticket and DP stores

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly the best way to deal with the Gacha is to only interact with it when there's something special going on

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

brainwrinkle posted:

GVT just had our first level up if anyone wants to get in on the ground floor.

This game is making me want a PS4 Pro. My base model PS4 is super loud and the framerate is kinda bad.

When was the last time you cleaned it out of dust?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

brainwrinkle posted:

I dusted it externally a week ago, but I need some special screwdriver to open it up and gently caress that.

Compressed air in a can should do at least for the fan and vents, also how much free space do you have on yours, cause on mine at least I've noticed that it sometimes chugs when you have less than 50 or so gigs of free space

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

What else would you consider to be a bit of a hipster suit? Sometimes it's fun playing as odd suits that don't see much play.

Most of the Aquatic suits probably qualify, as most of them besides Gogg and Zock fit awkwardly in the current meta of the game

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Numlock posted:

The devs need to put some water features on the map so aquatic suits can go swimming.

Also while I’ve not watched every single UC gundam show out there I don’t recall seeing any federation aquatic suits. Seems so weird that Spacenoids would but a nation based on earth wouldn’t.

They developed a couple aquatic variants of the GM and at least one Gundam in that vein(as well as a Ball variant or two) but overall they ended up being inferior to Zeon's output, so after the war they ended up just producing some of those instead(indeed the Federation had a tendency to do that with some of Zeon's late war designs)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

See that's why I want to see either stun or melee damage get nerfed into the floor, it's just supreme bullshit that you can take off so much health with just a single brain dead combo like that

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

You guys are definitely not playing the same game that I am

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I think Rated would be a lot less frustrating if they completely divorced how your rating goes up or down from whether your team wins or loses and had it solely be based on personal performance

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Zushio posted:

Is posting nothing but that Shut Up and Take My Money gif still a bannable offense?

Edit: Terrible picture of a recent results screen I was quite happy with. Little low on the damage number, but it was only a 400 match.

Worth remembering that the PS4 has a built in screencaps function, has much better results than using your phone's camera

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Oh Snapple! posted:

I've been enjoying space more since it seems like the maps that aren't Fortress Interior have been popping up more lately.

I don't think anyone will disagree with me when I say that not only is it the worst Space map, it's probably the worst map in the game period

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

As mentioned the Pezun Dowadge is now in the DP store*, as for the Banner suit, this week it's the Zaku Flipper, and the Banner art is basically one big VOTOMS reference, which is appropriate considering that show and MSG share Kunio Okawara as the main mechanical designer

Also last couple of matches have confirmed for me that if Space Fortress Interior is the worst Space map, then Mountain is by far the worst Ground map

*unfortunately not only does it require 100,000 DP to buy, you also have to be at least Ensign 01 to buy it, which is a ridiculously high rank to require, to give context I've been playing fairly regularly since the Japanese launch last July and I still haven't gotten that high of a rank

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Nov 21, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The regular Gelgoog is also definitely better in Space than on Ground maps, partially because of how it's shield is positioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

So I just did a count, apparently I own 105 different models of Mobile Suit, if I were counting different levels of the same model that number would be 203

And even then I have a lot of holes in my collection, like I probably only have a third or so of all the suits that have been released since launch