Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Started playing last night, and got a prototype Gelgoog from the supply that I fell in love with immediately.

I will admit I mildly wish the game was more akin to Zeonic Front just because the simple pleasure of evading behind an enemy and planting a heat hawk directly into it's back is one that still hasn't really been replicated since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Bazooka Melee combo makes sense. I remember getting owned hard last night by a Dom variant with a bazooka and a giant gently caress-off heat axe.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Valhawk posted:

Lots of talk about bazookas and beams, but let me stick up for the humble machine gun. If used effectively it can output a significant amount of damage much more constantly than other weapon types. When combined with parts that increase the size of the auto-aim ring you can focus on dodging and placement while ticking away one to two hundred damage every half second.

The constant flow of damage also has a wonderful psychological pressure effect on the opponent since they're getting red damage warnings the entire time and they won't necessarily be able to predict when the stun will trigger making it harder for them to focus on actually fighting back. With the Armored GM, I can pretty consistently keep fire on an enemy the entire clip while still being mobile enough to make it difficult for them to lay a hit back on me.

In essence the big advantage of machine guns is trading immediate damage for overall dps, since you rarely have to worry about missing compared to a beam or a bazooka which is a bit more dicey.

Do you think the armored GM (I'm assuming it's the same one) currently in the recycle shop is worth the 50 tickets? It's admittedly tempting.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Valhawk posted:

I'm a big fan of it. It's probably one of my favorite mid-cost suits. Also, just check and make sure it's the Armored GM and not the Desert GM, as the latter is kind of a gimmick unit which requires hitting at mid-long range with a stunning shot and then quickly switching to a missile launcher.

Yup, bought it and it's put in some great work for me at that suit level. Was definitely worth the tickets.

I decided to try out the Prototype Gundam with the bazooka instead of laser and good lord that thing can put in some work. That trident is real, real nasty when you can do a 3 hit combo with it. Good lord.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I really wish the normal rated match xp wasn't so anemic because good lord it feels terrible once you blow through your 5x bonus.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Discounted pull was good to me. Got a Z'Gok, saving me some DP, as well as the G-Line Assault and Pale Rider Cavalry which both look really good :toot:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I think the G-Line assault is my favorite mech now. That cannon is so nasty and the shotgun definitely does its job.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Zushio posted:

It doesn't seem to get better in solo queue. Usual things that happen to me almost every solo game:

Absolutely no one seems to be able to lead shots.

1v2ing against their weakness.

What is teamwork?

Toppled by own teammates repeatedly.

Staggered by own team repeatedly.

Me and two teamates are approaching a single enemy. The second the fight starts both teamates leave.

Not leaving kills for the ACE in ACE matches.

Being the ACE and do nothing just rush headlong into the entire enemy team by yourself.

Rush past every capture point.

Edit: Last night my clan and I went out of our way to set up perfect kills for our ACE. He did not get any kills while ACE, despite the fact that all of his pre-ACE kills were done by appearing from nowhere to snake the last 20 health off something we'd been fighting. The ones we want him to take? He leaves to go fight the rest of the enemy team solo.

When I'm with my clan we do really well usually. Red Haven (Rh) to join.

I've enjoyed how many counter knockdowns I've had go to waste because a teammate boosts the gently caress in with a wide beam saber slash that stops me from doing any kind of followup, with the cherry on top being that they don't even hit the drat enemy with it.

This game has two modes: "WHERE IS MY TEAM" and "TEAM GO AWAY"

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I am so sick of losing ace matches because it's the last 10 seconds and my team refuses to just back the gently caress off out of some stubborn, dumbass drive to hold an imaginary line. We have an 800 point lead literally all you have to do is not get killed by the ace in the next 10 seconds you dipshits. I've been fishing uselessly for my 2nd win for an hour now and seen 4 encouragements and my daily bonuses go to complete waste.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I went from C+ to D+ in ground tonight trying to get 2 wins. When this game shits on you it loving shits on you. My 2nd win was a complete fluke in winning a 4v5 by the skin of our teeth.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The only suit I outright groan at seeing so far is the GP02. That shield is loving stupid.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Valhawk posted:

Have you seen the GM Guard Custom.

Less than the GP02, weirdly! Even then it's been annoying but not to the same degree.

Anyway tonight I got weirdly happy at getting a Guncannon from a silver crate? 450, too, so I guess I got my new high cost support.

I also threw a pull at the supply drop and got the Psycommu Zaku which, good lord, looks utterly ridiculous so I hope it's good.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

So I kinda havent been paying attention during my past promotions since they've been quick affairs, but is any xp you get between hitting rank 10 and clearing your promotion missions wasted or does it add it in after the fact?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Oof. That's gonna be painful while I get these 6 rival victories.

I genuinely hate rival win requirements. It loving sucks to have a great performance but whoops you got randomly matched against the person doing all the work on the other team so tough poo poo.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 29, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Space also feels like the home of a decent number of people who have the general mechanics down pat but who just don't put much time into Space battles so they sit at the low ranks forever despite being at, like, Colonel and poo poo. I've definitely run into plenty of folks in Space matches so far who should absolutely not be at the rating they're at but obviously don't really care about doing more in Space than they need to.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I don't blame anyone for cheeseing their space games. Space loving sucks and exacerbates the most unfun aspects of the game. Being stuck having to do unrestricted in it is also the worst.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

Overall I think the worst thing about this game is it's ridiculous over-reliance on stun as a mechanic, indeed that is a consistent issue in multiplayer Gundam games, the game would be so much better if stun wasn't such an omnipresent mechanic

This has been my experience so far tbh. I enjoy the game and have fun with it but as you later noted, stun is just an inherently unfun and frustrating mechanic to begin with and it's essentially the core mechanic of the game. So when the game gets frustrating, it gets frustrating.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I decided to try out my Gigan this evening and it rolling out of the ship is my new favorite thing :3:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ehh. It's frustrating, yeah, but sometimes you have a scenario where you have a "do x space/ground sorties" daily and whoops the only option available in the current cycle is at a high cost or even Unrestricted.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

At minimum someone was completely correct earlier in suggesting that stagger be removed from bazooka splash damage. It's utterly loving absurd that something which has such a high impact on the enemy doesn't even require a direct or even particularly close hit and can effectively be wildfired at close range to devastating effect a lot of the time. In general I don't care if it "rewards teamwork", rewarding teamwork doesn't make stagger any less of a completely unfun mechanic to experience and it's ultimately gonna be why I quit the game, even if I'm currently still largely having fun 'cause all the annoyance is inevitably gonna pile up. I just refuse to believe there wasn't a better core mechanic they could have gone with that wasn't the most unfun thing in gaming.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I ran into the Efreet(DS) for the first time a few days ago playing support in 300 and it was incredibly miserable being effectively oneshot by it. Scourge is completely accurate.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The only thing I dont like about the regular Efreet is that its shotgun feels so weird to use coming from the g-line assault, whose shotgun fires faster and has more ammo. I might experiment with the MG as an alternative.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I had 5 games in a row this morning where someone blatantly sat and waited until the last 5 seconds on the timer to ready up, all different people, and I am not a fan of it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My pattern now is that I make it out of C and then start getting bodied by teams that I have a hard time believing aren't playing as a group until I end up back in mid-C and then the cycle repeats.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"Stick with the team," eh? Okay. Sounds simple enough, let's do thi-

*team scatters in 4 different directions*

Hm.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My favorite recent loss is when it was the last minute and we were about 200 points behind. Someone on the enemy team planted a bomb with 55 seconds left so it was completely irrelevant, but it didn't stop two people from going back to base to try to defuse, leaving me and two other people outnumbered and completely blowing any chance whatsoever of a comeback.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

huh, when did the Early Production Gelgoog get a bazooka? Or did getting one from the supply drop unlock them?

Related, any opinion on bazooka vs. rifle for the thing?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I've been enjoying space more since it seems like the maps that aren't Fortress Interior have been popping up more lately.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Did the cycle on the boosted banner and got a Mudrock, Efreet Nacht, and gelgoog marine out of it. Really happy with the Mudrock at minimum, makes it much easier to justify the Kaempfer when I next promote.

Mildly related, since I'm approaching that end of the DP store, what are some suits worth serious consideration? I'm eyeing the gouf vd and then the pezun dowadge much later but dont want to overlook anything.

E: act zaku as well, but that's where my impressions end

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The Alex has very real Just Wins Games energy. I cant tell you why it's good but gently caress if I dont get production out of it.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Uhh the gelgoog marine is loving mean in space, holy poo poo this thing can boost forever.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Promotion missions are hands down the worst part about this game and it would be infinitely better without them. They have consistently been a magnet for the absolute worst teams.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Otoh something is going wrong when these folks make it out of D and C rank to begin with 'cause they absolutely shouldn't be.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

How is the Full Armor Gundam [TB]? It's in the RT shop and I'm lightly tempted.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I took another look at it before I hit the exchange button and kinda yikes'd at its hp, and also hadn't initially noticed it was space only. Glad I hesitated. I'll consider it for a DP purchase in the future 'cause it does look rad but yeah RT are too precious.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Love watching a 3000 point lead turn into a 3000 point loss because your dumbass team pushes way the gently caress in and doesn't retreat, a mistake the other team naturally doesn't make when they spawn back in and trash them.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I swear there's just something about the beginning of a month that makes the game drop you into team after team of mental invalids. 3 ace matches in a row just now where the team actually played fine up until ace selection, at which point they decided to scatter to the loving winds.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Room makes, 4 A players and 6 B players.

Game proceeds to put 3 of the A players on one team.

Blown out by 5000 points.

Thanks game I appreciate the extra effort you went to in order to gently caress five folks.

I deeply wish I wasn't completely starved for Gundam games.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It was, yeah. Group of B+ and A-. I got madder than usual because it feels like for the past couple of weeks I've been constantly knocking on moving into A ranks (ie, just needing one more win) only to eat a series of blowout losses. It's frustrating, perhaps even moreso because I don't really care about staying at A once I get there - I just want to get there.

What's definitely compounding it though is not even being able to get out of C in Space despite my best efforts because I'm sick of my xp rewards for Space being trash, but Space ratings and matchmaking are super hosed.

While I'm bitching, I'll say that the Rick Dias feels like the first P2W suit I've come across since I've started playing. I want one but did not get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My experience against the rick dias has been that the supports I use that usually chunk the poo poo out of generals are not nearly as effective against it. For all I know I might be having weirdly bad luck in facing folks who had the things loaded the gently caress up with strong defensive parts, but I don't know.