Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What helps make you a good person
This poll is closed.
is it our connection with others? 26 30.59%
Is it fear of hell? 3 3.53%
Is it a pure desire to be good? 34 40.00%
Is it fear of laws/jail? 3 3.53%
to get laid? 17 20.00%
fear of karma? 2 2.35%
Total: 85 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm so fuckin' wacked out there's nothing good that can come from anyone associating with me, so isolating myself from the world is my good deed for the day/week/year/lifetime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
yeah except you post here. a place you can let out the steam, most of the time

Lossy Compression
Sep 29, 2019

Hooked On A Feeling

old beast lunatic posted:

Humanity is a failed species and no individual person should ever feel good about themselves. Help others realize the truth that the earth is screwed, god is dead and your children will piss on your graves. namaste

Very, very hard to argue with this.

That said, empathy, man. Empathy. A little goes a long way. I've noticed that I've become more empathetic over the last 20 years or so. I like to think that taking even just a few seconds here and there to try and see things from someone else's position makes my life and theirs just a tiny bit better.

I fail at this plenty, but I'm getting better little by little.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

dead prez posted:

which is why there is an ignore button :)

j/k cockler we're cool.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
hey i actually meant you post here inclusively

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Lossy Compression posted:

Very, very hard to argue with this.

That said, empathy, man. Empathy. A little goes a long way. I've noticed that I've become more empathetic over the last 20 years or so. I like to think that taking even just a few seconds here and there to try and see things from someone else's position makes my life and theirs just a tiny bit better.

I fail at this plenty, but I'm getting better little by little.

:hmmyes:

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i just generally try to make personal interactions pleasant for others involved. except for here.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

dead prez posted:

i dont consider this part of the world for whatever reason. i post under the assumption that when i'm finally done here my lunacy and the resulting posts will be seen as at best pointless and at worst pointlessly vindictive in retrospect

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
if you roll with it, the forums will too

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I feel like I have less empathy with time. Gonna become a gun owner soon (j/k). I don't feel like anyone has ever been empathetic towards me but maybe it's because I'm a jerk.

Although, when feeling alienated I always find people in this forum that share my sensibilities, like this mofucker right here

Sleeveless posted:

The way you become a good person is by spending your 20s arguing on the internet in pursuit of the one true correct opinion and then spend your 30s descending into abject misery as a result of that lifestyle and be lost so deeply within your own head that you think your personal failure to find satisfaction and meaning in life is actually you realizing that one true objective opinion about the universe and then wear your nihilistic misanthropy as a badge of enlightened honor.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Pontificating rear end posted:

I don't feel like anyone has ever been empathetic towards me but maybe it's because I'm a jerk.

Is there anyone you've hurt that you think would be so happy to find you are being nice to them? Like can you make it up to someone you've been a jerk to? It would probably mean a lot to them.

Although, when feeling alienated I always find people in this forum that share my sensibilities

:same:

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

My Shoes posted:

Is there anyone you've hurt that you think would be so happy to find you are being nice to them? Like can you make it up to someone you've been a jerk to? It would probably mean a lot to them.
Ah I just meant that maybe I push people away before they have a chance to help me out, or something like that.

Honestly I can feel pretty good that I've never really done anything bad to anyone. The worst is that I'll lash out at some poster on the forums (im gay). I think deep down that I believe I'm a bad person so I avoid people, so I don't hurt them.

thanks for the thoughtful advice

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Ah I just meant that maybe I push people away before they have a chance to help me out, or something like that.

Honestly I can feel pretty good that I've never really done anything bad to anyone. The worst is that I'll lash out at some poster on the forums (im gay). I think deep down that I believe I'm a bad person so I avoid people, so I don't hurt them.

Well, I empathize with you. :)

And i know someone that feels that way, too. Be careful - you can manifest your fears. maybe tell yourself you are a good person more... you deserve better than that. I bet you're better than you think and when you mess up (which we all do) people can be very forgiving.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

I think deep down that I believe I'm a bad person so I avoid people, so I don't hurt them.

And you say you lack empathy.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Resting Lich Face posted:

And you say you lack empathy.

I was gonna say I'm sorry to hear about your probation but I've been tricked again!

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

I was gonna say I'm sorry to hear about your probation but I've been tricked again!

I know. I love that AV. :P

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

:dance:

I'm not drunk enough right now to get myself probed.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

:dance:

I'm not drunk enough right now to get myself probed.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Patience Burt. I have a lot of time and a lot of alcohol left for this evening.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Patience Burt. I have a lot of time and a lot of alcohol left for this evening.

Alcohol makes RLF a good person.. :P

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
burt do you like wu tang?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

My Shoes posted:

Alcohol makes RLF a good person.. :P

:wrong:

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAjTPHKBsQ

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

My Shoes posted:

Alcohol makes RLF a good an outspoken person.. :P

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

dead prez posted:

burt do you like wu tang?

I am unfamiliar with this internet reference

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Burt Sexual posted:

I am unfamiliar with this internet reference

Wu Tang reference ain't nothin'?

Ya fuckwit.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMDGsxSEbOE

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

Does it drive anybody else crazy when they see themselves making the same mistake in life over and over again? Like feeling stuck because you keep doing the same loving thing.. and maybe its your biggest life lesson and if you could just learn it youd finally get everything you ever wanted.....

Has anyone here been able to finally change or fix something in themselves after making the same mistake over and over?

Its as simple as making a different choice right?

Id really like some thoughts on this...

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

I don’t care for the language, sorry.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

do you have any thoughts on what i just posted?

My Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 16, 2019

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
i agree doing the same thing more than once expecting difference is a mistake. i havent seen the repeat yet

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

My Shoes posted:

Does it drive anybody else crazy when they see themselves making the same mistake in life over and over again? Like feeling stuck because you keep doing the same loving thing.. and maybe its your biggest life lesson and if you could just learn it youd finally get everything you ever wanted.....

Has anyone here been able to finally change or fix something in themselves after making the same mistake over and over?

I dunno, I spent years making colossally stupid financial decisions. I feel like I've finally gotten past that on a consistent basis.

The Cockler
Mar 31, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

My Shoes posted:

no not really, what i want from life is unrealistic and or my expectations are far too realistic depending on how you want to look at it

Fromdusktilprawn
Mar 11, 2009
I have an easy time liking and trusting most people. It's easy to be good to other people because of this. My weakness in this instance is that I'm too accepting and sometimes let scumbags get away with stupid, mean poo poo. I would be a horrible prosecutor.

Society needs variation when it comes to being good and doing good. I have a nice life due to liking other people most of the time. But I do see the drawbacks. Conflict ain't my thing and sometimes, someone needs to take a stand. Usually not me though.

Fromdusktilprawn
Mar 11, 2009

My Shoes posted:

Making different choices is not easy. Otherwise you would've done that already. Everyone gets stuck sometimes, so you are not alone.

Most coachibg/therapy or similar attempts at helping someone change usually starts with analyzing the problem and identifying what specific factors make the pattern repeat. Thereafter attempt to deal with them, by careful preparation and trying different approaches to see what works and not. It sounds easy but it is not, since it often means going against evolutionarily important emotions which in dysfunctional behavior patterns are motivating unfortunate behaviors.

There are different schools of thought on what causes the types ofpproblems you describe and what helps people change, but all start with analysing the problem. It is often helpful to write down what happens descrpitively and without judgment, since problems tend to be a jumbled, confusing mess of memories, thoughts, feelings, behavior and relationships. It's hard to see what causes the pattern to repeat otherwise.

Sorry if this isn't what you were looking for. I work as a psychologist, so I might see things too much from that perspective.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I love the sense of self satisfaction I get from other people telling me I'm good and liking my poo poo. It's like that episode of seinfeld where jerry helps that struggling Pakistani restaurant out by just going there and ordering food, and he has that internal monologue where he's like "pfff, gently caress yeah. I rule". It's great, cause you really do try to help people but only cause you're a big narcissist rear end in a top hat.

The key is to feel bad when you're a *bad* person. That's the tough one.

My Shoes
Jul 23, 2019

All men would be better people if they allowed a woman to peg them.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

quote:

What helps make you a good person?

Oh, I just don't.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Honestly the more jokey posts itt are cool but goons earnestly posting stuff that keeps them striving to not be a piece of poo poo is real cool and I like reading the different perspectives.

Thread good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is inertia a good excuse? I feel like it is.