Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

fritz posted:

> I guess they need to put the splenda in so that they screw up all the kids' metabolism + gut microbes, but they also need to make sure the food isn't accidentally diabetic safe?

?

yeah, you’re right that that part is off the deep-end

and he didn’t even mention the cancer nanobots in the grilled cheese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

quote:

do presentations (very common among managers).

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

DARPA posted:

Ask HN: Do you feel bad when devices aren't utilized to the extreme?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD3KhCTk4dU&t=187s

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Nov 11, 2021 | next [–]

This isn't a joke; I had actually scheduled a lunch with Lowtax for this Saturday. Despite a (let's call it) checkered past, I was extremely excited to meet him, since he's been a huge influence to my sense of humor and Something Awful was really important to me as a teenager.
-------
I had found him on LinkedIn a few weeks ago, and simply sent a message explaining that I'm a fan, would love a chance to buy him lunch and chat about Something Awful and Gaming Garbage. To amy surprise, he responded back with "sure, I'd be up for it".
I responded back with "How does early December sound to you? something on the order of December 11?"
His response was "poo poo I dont even know if I'll still be alive then". This response was a little weird, but this isn't exactly "off brand" humor for Lowtax, so I ignored it.
I then say something to the effect of "how about something along the lines of November 13?", which he said was better. He then said "and you have my permission to stab me". Again, not off brand for Lowtax.
I bought a plane ticket to Kansas City, was ready to fly out this friday. But I had this deep feeling in my stomach that what he was saying wasn't just a joke. It's pretty well documented that he's been depressed, and I dunno, upon re-reading his messages a hundred times I got a dark feeling that these might be kind of bad omens. What exactly do I do with this? I discussed it with my wife and a friend, who weren't sure what the best solution was, and I ultimately decided not to say anything. I figured I'm just some dork who stalked him on LinkedIn, and I was afraid that if I said anything he would think I'm weird and cancel our lunch date.
And now this poo poo happened. He finally did it, and now the thought keeps playing in my brain of "what if I had said something a few weeks ago?" I know I don't owe him anything, but I can't help but have this repeated feeling of "I valued an opportunity to meet my man-crush more than I valued someone showing suicidal tendencies," and it makes me feel downright rotten. That's not the kind of person I want to be, and it makes me feel legitimately sick that that's how my brain decided to work.
At some logical level I know none of this is my fault really; realistically even if I had said something, I doubt much would have changed, and I doubt I had enough there to get him committed or anything, but there's a difference between logically knowing something and feeling something.
As it stands, I think there's a reasonably good chance that I will feel partly responsible for this for the rest of my life. This sucks.
--------
RIP Rich. I know you had a rough last couple years, you were the definition of a "complicated person", and despite everything you will be missed.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wow, i thought it was kind of weird that lowtax committed suicide, but if it was to get out of having lunch with that guy i kind of get it.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
syllablehq 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

I think the key to a massively successful new social network will be a fallback API of just email/text.

Why not let your shiny new social network UI parse any dumb input into a fancy thread format? Zero adoption friction. Federation baked in.

Example: You run a mastodon-like service that can receive email. When it gets an email, it publishes a twirt with the contents. Truncates as needed.

If it's a new email address, spin up new user with email username. No password needed, cause it came from the email address you own.

Conversely, in the fancy interface, you can @soandso@gmail.com and it will email them for you. Doesn't matter if they've "joined twartordon." So it has a dumb-simple user growth model baked in.

I've been promoting this idea for years in the man-yells-at-clouds format, but folks don't seem to get why it's so powerful...

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
apart from the issues with authentication, moderation, input validation and feedback, vulnerability to spam, complete absence of discovery, and the need to somehow fund the federated servers without ruining the utility of the service, sounds like a real winner

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

apart from the issues with authentication, moderation, input validation and feedback, vulnerability to spam, complete absence of discovery, and the need to somehow fund the federated servers without ruining the utility of the service, sounds like a real winner

yeah aside from all that, it should be super easy to just parse unstructured user input and do the right thing with it. don’t know why everyone else doesn’t understand how powerful my ideas are

animist
Aug 28, 2018
you could allow people to put annotations on their posts describing how to render them. like <blink>PENIS ENLARGEMENT PILLS</blink> to more effectively reach your audience for example

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Also he's basically describing a mailing list with a webpage.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Why imagine that idiotic email system when we already have Usenet. If you want to use old protocols at least use a fitting one.

Unless they are a fake nerd who never used Usenet! Or IRC!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Cory Doctorow: gives an interview in which he stresses the need to make ourselves aware of the limitations of artificial intelligence and the danger of putting it in positions to make decisions about people's life and work.

Hacker News:

amelius 0 minutes ago | next [–]

With GPT-3 that's changing quite quickly.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I didn’t know he was a big GTD guy but it really makes sense

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

kitten emergency posted:

I didn’t know he was a big GTD guy but it really makes sense

Doctorow's how I found out about GTD originally.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33858947
why doesn’t netflix want us to hear the truth about ATLANTIS

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I tried to read Cory Doctorow's Little Brother a few years back and found it largely unreadable. Not quite as bad as Ready Player One but close, with characters having wikipedia articles as internal monologue about their leet hacker skills.

Also most of the rest of the BoingBoing crew turned out to be absolute loons so that didn't help either.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I think the best thing you can say about Cory Doctorow is that he's loony in a positive direction, unlike, say, the overwhelming majority of HN.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

tracecomplete posted:

I think the best thing you can say about Cory Doctorow is that he's loony in a positive direction, unlike, say, the overwhelming majority of HN.

it's like tumblr kids: their heart's in the right place, they're just going a little too far sometimes.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Neon Noodle posted:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=33858947
why doesn’t netflix want us to hear the truth about ATLANTIS

"Atlantis legends predate racism." is impressively stupid for only having four words

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

shapefrog 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Company ‘Hijacks’ Blender’s CC By-Licensed Film, Y...

Elon should buy Youtube and make it free again.

(emphasis theirs)

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

mystes
May 31, 2006

mrmcd posted:

I tried to read Cory Doctorow's Little Brother a few years back and found it largely unreadable. Not quite as bad as Ready Player One but close, with characters having wikipedia articles as internal monologue about their leet hacker skills.

Also most of the rest of the BoingBoing crew turned out to be absolute loons so that didn't help either.
I don't hate him as a person but he's not a good writer she imo has only has been able to sell his books by his blog readers and writing exactly what people on slashdot wanted back in the day

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
he’s actually a very good writer (of non-fiction)

mystes
May 31, 2006

rjmccall posted:

he’s actually a very good writer (of non-fiction)
ah yeah I think I had actually meant to specify that originally (I had typed "his fiction is unpublishable" or something but that seemed to harsh) but then I rephrased it and forgot to make that clear

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
:hmmyes: but could you steelman that argument?

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

imagine the horror of a website populated almost entirely by white noise posters talking past each other

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

SolTerrasa posted:

imagine the horror of a website populated almost entirely by white noise posters talking past each other

is this meant to be a dig on d&d or cspam or all of SA cause it works all three ways

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i like to think of myself as more of a brown noise poster

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ambicapter 57 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

> The tech department has better working conditions that most other departments.
How many departments are asked to check in every single day with what you did yesterday and what you plan on doing today?

Retric 44 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

No single example on it’s own seems like such a big deal. But long hours, being on call, little respect, etc show IT is a low status profession that happens to pay reasonably well.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

johndhi 45 minutes ago | next [–]

This is a crazy way of making laws, IMO.

To recap: a law was put in place 5 years ago that said if you get consent you can basically use data in any way, with some very vague and general language about how consent can be gathered and what it means.

Meanwhile, Facebook has invested billions of dollars in building and developing a platform according to their fair reading of that law.

Then, some random guy says he doesn't think Facebook's interpretation is right, a court agrees, and all of those billions of dollars have gone to waste.

So absurdly inefficient. No regulator has had the idea of just going to Facebook, having a real conversation about what they're doing, then talked about it with ethics professionals and researchers and tried to draft a forward-looking law that will make the whole system better? No; we prefer to thrive by ignoring problems for a long time then smashing them with a hammer.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
blockchain fixes this!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Chris Knight posted:

blockchain fixes this!

agree

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

lefstathiou 47 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Asia’s advanced economies now have lower birth rat...

My unsolicited and uninformed opinion: Marriage is becoming a status symbol and I personally believe low birth rates are being driven by men more so than women. If you’re a medium to high earning male in NYC, there are so many women to choose from that are pining for commitment (I believe biology plays a factor here). Most of my well to do friends are uninterested in marriage and are just churning through girls.

I am happily married - largely driven by personal values religiously influenced moral principle. For most my friends, the question they pose is what is the benefit of marriage? You tie yourself down to monogamy, give up your personal life and risk losing half of it plus a life of child support and alimony in a divorce.

I don’t have an answer but I think the root cause may be different than increasing access to child care (which certainly helps) on the margin.

Edit for another random anecdote: almost all my Jewish friends in their mid 30s who are well to do are married. Can’t think of one that isn’t. I believe there are cultural correlations that can be drawn.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
uwagar 6 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Base editing: Revolutionary therapy clears girl's ...

these are shills for making us accept editings of our genome and installing a platform ie a trojan that will later accept payloads to alter us to what they see fit.
from the article: "as science was now taking key steps towards taking control of our genomes"
if u replace science with russia or pfizer u should be quite concerned. but then by downvoting me either you are some vaxbot or dismiss my valid concerns.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

punished milkman posted:

uwagar 6 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Base editing: Revolutionary therapy clears girl's ...

these are shills for making us accept editings of our genome and installing a platform ie a trojan that will later accept payloads to alter us to what they see fit.
from the article: "as science was now taking key steps towards taking control of our genomes"
if u replace science with russia or pfizer u should be quite concerned. but then by downvoting me either you are some vaxbot or dismiss my valid concerns.

"if you change the parts of a sentence with other things, the meaning changes". revolutionary new vectors in understanding how language and ideas work.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
also everyone knows that neither Russia nor pfizer could use science

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

yanderekko 11 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: ElonJet Is Now Suspended

Serious question: Is there an alternative narrative here? People are acting like Musk changed course for no reason, but are there no real claims that the account perhaps had started to engage in other rule-breaking content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
surely Elon Jet was participating in the mass child abuse occurring on twitter, rather than Elon simply being a thin skinned lil bitch