Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
just. wow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

re: mongolia famine warning

Venkatesh10 8 hours ago | prev [–]

With all the money free flowing in the world and with experience to games like city builder, Builderment.. we can easily share them food, resources from tropical regions.

this has to be a joke. right?

right?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

see mom I'm actually learning

internalized all that hand-eye coordination poo poo art had to use to justify its existence

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

optimalsolver 4 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

The answer, as with everything in medical science, is far more radical,and dare I say reckless, human experimentation.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

hn thread: reckless human experimentation

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
drat if the lead post wasn’t such a banger that would be a good title

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

_obviously 22 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: The existence of a new kind of magnet has been con...

Spintronic effects is how Saturn is a natural, planet-sized computer.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
WalterBright 32 minutes ago | parent | context | favorite | on: U.S. is said to open criminal inquiry into Boeing

I'd be careful about over-regulation and liabilities (especially criminal liability). Such has completely crushed the general aviation business. This is why Cessnas flying today are all from the 1960s. Their engines require leaded gas, which is a big problem, but regulation and liability has made it impractical to develop a modern engine.

I.e. not only is innovation crushed by regulation, liability also prevents any new designs, because new designs always carry an element of risk.

Criminal liabilities mean people will do their best to deny it and cover it up, rather than fix it. The incredible safety of aviation today is not the result of punishing people who make mistakes.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

We should make a plane that flies by being lifted by the invisible hand of the market.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Malloc Voidstar posted:

WalterBright 32 minutes ago | parent | context | favorite | on: U.S. is said to open criminal inquiry into Boeing

I'd be careful about over-regulation and liabilities (especially criminal liability). Such has completely crushed the general aviation business. This is why Cessnas flying today are all from the 1960s. Their engines require leaded gas, which is a big problem, but regulation and liability has made it impractical to develop a modern engine.

I.e. not only is innovation crushed by regulation, liability also prevents any new designs, because new designs always carry an element of risk.

Criminal liabilities mean people will do their best to deny it and cover it up, rather than fix it. The incredible safety of aviation today is not the result of punishing people who make mistakes.

lol you can find all the low-regulation experimentation you want in general aviation. long as you declare something's 'experimental' you can fly it at your own risk. there are rules to it but they're designed to prevent things like carrying paying passengers in an experimental

there's a wide variety of experimental aircraft out there. lots of kit built airplanes. they run the gamut from reasonably safe if well built to horrible deathtraps

still, the certified general aviation industry persists, for some reason. nobody can say what that might be

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

this is basically cheating

like posting graycat

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Armitag3 posted:

We should make a plane that flies by being lifted by the invisible hand of the market.

this arguably describes the boeing 737 MAX

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
MichaelZuo 43 minutes ago | parent | context | favorite | on: The Best Essay

There isn’t a need to read anything beyond introductory materials to acquire depth, if your competent enough.

In fact that’s what I would consider the critical dividing line between a regular genius and a bonafide super-genius. Someone who almost supernaturally acquires expertise/intuition/depth/etc. with very little visible effort.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

BobHoward posted:

lol you can find all the low-regulation experimentation you want in general aviation. long as you declare something's 'experimental' you can fly it at your own risk. there are rules to it but they're designed to prevent things like carrying paying passengers in an experimental

there's a wide variety of experimental aircraft out there. lots of kit built airplanes. they run the gamut from reasonably safe if well built to horrible deathtraps

still, the certified general aviation industry persists, for some reason. nobody can say what that might be

Not to speak positively of Bright*, but Experimental and GA are different things, and it is really hard to bring to market new GA aircraft and equipment, even something that engages in such breathtakingly modern stuff as "doesn't use leaded gasoline".

* - Empire was really cool for the time I guess

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

tracecomplete posted:

* - Empire was really cool for the time I guess

I still have a copy in its original box

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

hn thread: if your competent enough

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ruffian Price posted:

hn thread: if your competent enough

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

tracecomplete posted:

Not to speak positively of Bright*, but Experimental and GA are different things, and it is really hard to bring to market new GA aircraft and equipment, even something that engages in such breathtakingly modern stuff as "doesn't use leaded gasoline".

experimental and certified are both subsets of GA. they influence each other quite a bit. after all the biggest recent development in certified GA is cirrus and they got their start selling experimental kitplanes. (speaking of cirrus, any time someone tries to claim GA is still just 1950s cessnas, lol. lmao.)

on leaded gas, there is a new unleaded fuel, G100UL, which runs in unmodified 100LL engines. it may go on sale in some california airports this year. it faces an uphill battle, but a lot of it's due to pushback from industry, not regulators

resistance from industry happens all the time, after all. whenever it's easier and cheaper to make money by maintaining the status quo, and there's significant barriers to entry, expect stagnation. as for the faa, their official stance is a push to eliminate leaded avgas by 2030. i'm not going to claim that the faa as a whole has been doing its best encouraging this to actually happen, it is a deeply flawed agency, but reducing the situation to "regulators hold us back", as bright did, is disingenuous_libertarianism.txt

ultimately certified GA's problems with slow technical progress come down to "safe flight is loving hard, and expensive". experimental is often cheaper and definitely tries a lot of new ideas, but is also much less safe

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sagebrush posting on their alt again

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Xik posted:

MichaelZuo 43 minutes ago | parent | context | favorite | on: The Best Essay

There isn’t a need to read anything beyond introductory materials to acquire depth, if your competent enough.

In fact that’s what I would consider the critical dividing line between a regular genius and a bonafide super-genius. Someone who almost supernaturally acquires expertise/intuition/depth/etc. with very little visible effort.

Bloom who?

must not have been in the introductory text

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mjfl 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

It is very fortunate that the universe is expanding. This provides a virtually unlimited source of energy.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

man with galaxy brain posts on hn as neurons redshift away from each other

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BobaFloutist 15 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

I can see someone whistle-blowing in good faith, realizing they made a mistake and called out the company for something that it wasn't doing or something that wasn't actually a problem, and killing themselves.
I can also see someone whistle-blowing in good faith, getting harassed by ex-coworkers/managers or the court of public opinion, and just getting overwhelmed by the negative attention and feeling bad for the betrayal and killing themselves.
I can't really see a company faking the suicide of someone that already whistleblew and got national attention. That seems like a great way to exacerbate a problem that, if you leave it alone, probably won't be made worse by your leaving it alone. Like, what, a Boeing executive hired an assassin off the dark web with the click of a button to kill someone that already did the thing he was going to do? Executives can make some pretty poor decisions, so I'm not going to say it's impossible, but it would be a pretty wild mistake to make.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Our worldly gentlemen have even more opinions on art!

quote:

alx_the_new_guy 51 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Devin: AI Software Engineer

Art as a concept is basically meaningless these days.

What is art? Apparently, anything can be art, so what's the difference between art and not_art?

From my personal experience, it is used more as a lovely excuse for substandard/lame/overpriced stuff to exist. And to boost it's creator's ego.

AI certainly isn't really doing it, just as people aren't.

gently caress art.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
dotinvoke 1 day ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Reddit's long, rocky road to an IPO

If Reddit has stored historical mod actions, they could probably train an AI mod that mimics the behavior of the existing mods. Mods have much less leverage than they did 5 years ago.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Switzerland posted:

Our worldly gentlemen have even more opinions on art!

a lot of art has as its primary use (if probably not the intended one by the artist) as a tool for money laundering. this guy doesn’t deserve to enjoy the product of an artist’s labour, so I’m OK with him writing it off

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

perihelions 2 hours ago | undown | prev [–]

I think it's fine if libraries die out. The pirate libraries are superior in every way, for every class of reader. And they'll only get better over time.
A pirate can search 10 million works and seamlessly switch to reading one. How can the Balkanized e-book library model possibly keep up? A pirate can run a local LLM for natural-language queries, and find a semantic needle in a thousand-page haystack; or select a dozen excerpts and present them side-by-side for immediate comparison. How can the clunky system of DRM-locked lending e-book readers compete? Near-future. A personal LLM could track a researcher's progress page by page, and pro-actively recommend reading suggestions for an individual chapter from an individual book from a million-volume library—and instantly display it, highlighting special lines, glossing words, annotating jargon, hyperlinking (other) books, writing explanations in the marginalia, translating languages. Transformative creations. What's the poor schmuck stuck in Andrew Carnegie's library doing?
The capability gulf is going to grow unfathomably wider. People who read to learn, to comprehend, to get things done, who care about their childrens' education, will undoubtedly end up choosing the superior tools. The other half is going to become a sad cautionary tale

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

kitten smoothie posted:

perihelions 2 hours ago | undown | prev [–]

I think it's fine if libraries die out. The pirate libraries are superior in every way, for every class of reader. And they'll only get better over time.
A pirate can search 10 million works and seamlessly switch to reading one. How can the Balkanized e-book library model possibly keep up? A pirate can run a local LLM for natural-language queries, and find a semantic needle in a thousand-page haystack;

isn't needle/haystack like... hello world for LLM's? zero thought into how that maps onto human research use cases, just bloviating certainty that it can be done and is good

ah yes, I forgot the sentence about pizza toppings in the middle of CS research, this is a Real problem that those fat cat librarians wanna profit from!!!!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

It's also very telling that they consider libraries to only be a warehouse for books. These days libraries tend to be complete community centers with workspaces and 3D printers and gaming rooms and tool lending etc.

Almost like they haven't been to a library in decades.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

thatsmenownot 1 hour ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context [–] | on: On limitations that hide in your blindspot

Aged 14 or 15, i had a girlfriend, freckle-faced with long red curly hair, twenty years ago i met a woman, the first thing i asked her was: "You seem to act like someone knowing me, may i ask you to give me any colour on that ?"

She clarified the situation and the second thing i said, was (remembering) her name followed: "How tall you gained!", she smiled, so i said: "Hey, now that i am looking at your beautiful smile, it felt like i have to make a dentist meeting, to get my tooth cleaned again."

So if you say going from Y to Z over Inspiration you may ask... "Conclusion: Had you noiced how expensive girls...?" Questioning: Was that an "80 Points!" answer-enough?

Non native english speaker...and please take it with a grain of (sensible) humor...regards...

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

alexandriao posted:

thatsmenownot 1 hour ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context [–] | on: On limitations that hide in your blindspot

Aged 14 or 15, i had a girlfriend, freckle-faced with long red curly hair, twenty years ago i met a woman, the first thing i asked her was: "You seem to act like someone knowing me, may i ask you to give me any colour on that ?"

She clarified the situation and the second thing i said, was (remembering) her name followed: "How tall you gained!", she smiled, so i said: "Hey, now that i am looking at your beautiful smile, it felt like i have to make a dentist meeting, to get my tooth cleaned again."

So if you say going from Y to Z over Inspiration you may ask... "Conclusion: Had you noiced how expensive girls...?" Questioning: Was that an "80 Points!" answer-enough?

Non native english speaker...and please take it with a grain of (sensible) humor...regards...

:hmmyes:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

taking a guess that German is his native language, let's see if I got it right

e: he literally has no non-deleted comments so I guess I'll never know

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

NihilCredo posted:

taking a guess that German is his native language, let's see if I got it right

e: he literally has no non-deleted comments so I guess I'll never know

https://twitter.com/tojipedal/status/1769322852220907623

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Willingham 9 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Post-quantum cryptography is too drat big

Quantum resistant cryptography seems like the ideal choice for cryptocurrencies, interesting that only a handful have implemented this.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lobsterminator posted:

It's also very telling that they consider libraries to only be a warehouse for books. These days libraries tend to be complete community centers with workspaces and 3D printers and gaming rooms and tool lending etc.

Almost like they haven't been to a library in decades.

don’t tell them, they’ll try to “fix” it

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

re: the eu banning anonymous crypto wallets

627467 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

What is great about these overreaches is how it keeps eroding the blind trust that many "rule of law" societies have towards their institutions and rules.
Extreme parties advocating extreme measures are on the rise, marginal groups having oversized exposure and influence in those societies, informalization of social relationships.
At some point Europeans need to feel comfortable living like many do in Asia, Africa an South America: at the edge of the law and "decency".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

hn thread: at the edge of the law and "decency"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

nine_k 10 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

The few states with high cost of water, like California or Texas, can be enough of a market.
BTW since they have basically a positioned spray technology, they could literally "print" things with grass, giving it different nutrients or even dispersing different seeds. Anything from a decorative striped pattern to signs of affiliation and slogans.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

mlcrypto 2 hours ago | prev | next [–]

Anyone else think of themselves as a GPT? When I write my brain just predicts good words that come next based on my experiences. No doubt in my mind AGI is coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

christ imagine being that loving dull