Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
don't forget that he assumes that all research which implies humans have bad effects on the environment is made up and false, and will never bother to actually read it before spouting off his uninformed opinion.

and he is very proud of his position of deliberate ignorance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

flim-flam, fraud, hoax scam

flim-flam, fraud, hoax scam

real made up, cooked up, stirred up, busy work, make work, junk think, prof scam

we didn't hole the ozone

it was always burning, since the world's been turning

we didn't hole the ozone

no, we didn't pierce it, but we tried to sell it

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

ultravoices posted:

we’ve found him the internets most unpleasant man

stymie has published math research?

animist
Aug 28, 2018
that's just logic

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

they sure are posting a lot about facts u dislike

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jmyeet 15 minutes ago | next [–]

With the very real risks of climate change and rising sea levels I'm wondering how long it will take before someone decides to flood the Sahara.
It's worth noting that sea level rise is kinda complex.
First, if an iceberg floating on the ocean melts it doesn't raise sea levels. That's the buoyancy principle of displacing an object's weight in water.
Second, a lot of ice (eg Antarctica, Greenland) is on land so the first point doesn't apply to all ice as some deniers have tried to claim.
Third, the sea level rise is partially from ice melt but also from thermic expansion.
Fourth, even if you flooded all the below sea level parts of the world, it would only account for a fraction of the sea level rise so it's not a permanent solution.
But several thousand eyars ago the Sahara was arable land. Some parts of the Sahara were >400 feet below sea level so this would be a significant body of water. Even as seawater this would inject a lot of water into the environment through evaporation and normal water cycles.
Obviously this would have an impact on the ecosystem and displace some people but we've displaced far more people for less (eg the Three Gorges Dam).
This seems like something we should do, no?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hey you could even use nukes to do it!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
javajosh 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Why unprecedented birdflu outbreaks sweeping the w...

So this would be a very HN thing to do, but what about building autonomous turrets that identify birds and shoot them with something that scares them away? (Note that killing them is not only distasteful, but adds another problem: those bird corpses will attract other unwanted animals, so it's a non-starter anyway).

EDIT: instead of downvoting, please comment so I can understand why you don't like this idea.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i swear that reddit posters are less whiny about downvoting than the babies at hn

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Mr.Radar posted:

javajosh 2 hours ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: Why unprecedented birdflu outbreaks sweeping the w...

So this would be a very HN thing to do, but what about building autonomous turrets that identify birds and shoot them with something that scares them away? (Note that killing them is not only distasteful, but adds another problem: those bird corpses will attract other unwanted animals, so it's a non-starter anyway).

EDIT: instead of downvoting, please comment so I can understand why you don't like this idea.

gently caress the edit really brought it home a+ content

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

frontman1988 16 hours ago | parent | context | next [–] | on: Can growth continue?

The solution to tackling declining population can be by generating Genetically modified babies. This new race of humans will be smarter and stronger than the current lot due to eugenics. CRISPR will make it possible and it's already happening in China. The west needs to look at it instead of ramping up immigration and importing instability from third world countries.

frontman1988 3 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Evidence suggests journalist killed in targeted at...

What can be done about the civil war in Syria, Afghanistan, Myanmar. The drug wars in South America. The invasion in Ukraine. The re-education camps in China. The drought in Eastern Africa etc. etc. The list goes on and on. I honestly have made peace with the fact that it's not my responsibility to change the world. Whatever happens, happens. Let me make money and enjoy life.

frontman1988 7 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: On Aging Alone (2021)

40 is the prime age for men. You can easily get a younger gf from Thailand/Vietnam/Philippines with minimum effort. And you never know you might find true love (if it exists) as well.

frontman1988 7 days ago | root | parent | next [–]

It really depends on your country as well. For example in the developed nations there is no real poverty rather it is caused mostly due to personal failing. Most of the poor in America still marry each other, rather than seeking a relationship with a richer stabler spouse. I would say the poor in America can't be compared to the poor in South Asian countries, they hardly know the harrowing desperation that true poverty brings. Also the cultural values of such countries are actually quite positive when it comes to marriage. They prioritize a long term marriage, are ready to compromise and are family focussed. Usually it's a win win situation in most cases for someone who hasn't been able to find a mate in 40 years.

frontman1988 22 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: 'A five-day wait for $5k': the man who queues for ...

For 5k a year you can buy a literal full time servant (read slave) in India. My granda had one. The servant used to clean the house, make hot food daily, bring groceries, serve tea five times a day, give oil massages etc. Standing in a line would have a respite task for him.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

that man needs to be on the first ship to mars

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

his first account didn’t have the “19” in it

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

jeeeeeeeezus

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
like, i have some confidence that he'll never be anything but a basement dweller, but the mere fact that he exists is a little depressing

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
jl2718 1 hour ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: My students cheated a lot

I taught two courses to undergrad CS students at Stanford. I think about half of students cheated on problem sets and tests. The answers were all way too uniform and done without correction.

In the first course, there was a student who definitely didn’t cheat and was objectively horrible at all tasks assigned, consuming a frustratingly large portion of my grading time. This student ended up with a massively impressive resume including all the best places, and became the founder of a billion dollar cryptocurrency.

In the second course, the worst student also clearly didn’t cheat, and sometimes I gave extra points for answers that were wrong but the only ones in the class that were invented rather than regurgitated. That student founded one of the most influential companies in modern computer science, and also a 10 billion-dollar cryptocurrency.

I’m not sure what the lesson is. I had honest and very good students that didn’t do much of note, but there were only two honest but awful students, and both had superlative success. Just for reference, I was honest and pushed hard to land somewhere in the low middle, and I’ve had my share of ups and downs, but definitely no competition for the lanterne rouges.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Mr.Radar posted:

In the second course, the worst student also clearly didn’t cheat, and sometimes I gave extra points for answers that were wrong but the only ones in the class that were invented rather than regurgitated. That student founded one of the most influential companies in modern computer science, and also a 10 billion-dollar cryptocurrency.

im the influential company in modern computer science

a startup that sells pure algorithms, a thing you cannot patent

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
im the 10 billion dollar cryptocurrency

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rg111 2 hours ago | parent | next [–]

I was an A+ student up to Sophomore year in HS. I downgraded to A or B+ student after I knew how much fun actual learning is.
Before that, all I was doing was memorizing and practising heuristics to get A+.
I actually started learning Science since 11th grade. I grew and grew. And my scores tanked.
Got only 6.xx/10 in college as well.
But no regrets. Learning Math properly gave me a super solid foundation to learn Deep Learning very quickly. Now I do my semi-dream job as a Deep Learning Research Engineer building actual products with Deep Learning.
I have a truly realistic chance of getting my dream job within the end of this calendar year.
No regrets. Screw scores and learning systems designed for the mediocres. The education system has no care for the poor learners with no parental care. Neither it is good for future scientists and geniuses.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

mostly sensible post with one notable exception

bhargav 48 minutes ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Sorry but I’m gonna be very blunt. I think sound pretentious as gently caress.
> I studied because I wanted to genuinely understand how things work
I don’t think you do.
Genuine curiosity forged in one’s own mind. It is not something that can be bounded, repackaged as a curriculum, and sold in university. It’s like ether, it’s everywhere and can be captured by anyone, through multiple means.
University degrees for any professions are useless. Even in medicine! There are poo poo doctors and good doctors. Most people here would’ve run through a couple of them before picking one. I’ve been with my current doctor for 10 years now, because they are really good, empathic, and teach me rather than just pushing pills.
Software in my humble opinion works the same way. I care more about what someone does with the tools they have, rather than them being made of wood or metal or gold

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

found while checking someone else's post history:

naikrovek on Feb 15, 2021 [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | favorite | on: Show HN: Khan-dl – Khan Academy Course Downloader

> poo poo like this is why the cloud is not to be trusted.
That's utter rubbish and I think you know it; you just want to complain about something. When you put something on your own server on the internet, that's "the cloud" to someone else. So your own stuff is "not to be trusted?"
Other people own that stuff you say that you need access to. Other people pay for the hosting and the bandwidth. Other people consider whether or not to remove it. It's their stuff to do what they want with. Never in the life of that hosting agreement is it mentioned that you are guaranteed free access for life.
Complaining that someone else is allowed to do what they want with their own stuff is the absolute height of insane privilege. Just like I can't tell you what you can do with your stuff, you can't tell other people what to do with theirs. Complaining that those people or institutions do what they want with their own things is ... I mean, who the hell do you think you are? really?
I'll tell you who you are. You're some average, entirely forgettable techie who thinks they're special and smarter than everyone else here, and thus more deserving than others. you are not. You do seem to be one of the more entitled techies that I've ever had the displeasure of discovering on this site. People like you are coming up out of the ground like earthworms in a thunderstorm and it's turning the internet into a living cesspool.
I am so tired of people feeling like the crap they enjoy on the internet is theirs - like they own it. not only do you mostly not own anything online, you aren't even necessarily entitled access to it. You own what you put up, and that's only if you specifically license it with those terms. Learn that fact and adjust, or face ridicule.
"the cloud is not to be trusted" get off your high horse

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dontbenebby 2 minutes ago | next [–]

Do they carry red cups? I bought some after dropping the pint glass I use for drinking cold water, but apparently they were redesigned.
(I've actually never been to Poland, got the sense hosteling in the EU that folks have a very warped view of Americans... we usually just have a few bottles of Yuengling and watch Die Hard, not shoot an AR-15 in the air and launch salvos at our neighbors.)
This is funny, except for the one getting faux arrested.
(I used to read about your not so secret police during in school suspensions, because I'm autistic.)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

:catstare:

dontbenebby 1 hour ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: S.F. population fell 6.3%, most in nation, to lowe...

Makes sense.
First summer I rented in the area (around that time), I had to use AirBnB to find something halfway affordable, and I was basically using it more as a trust broker.
The unit I paid 1500 a month for, literally a bedroom in a dog dander riddled home with a tiny shared kitchen.
I looked, and within 3 years the same place would have been more like 4500/month.
(This was walkable to Castro street, but so is a lot in that weather.)
Meanwhile, I heard all these tech bros WHINING, literally WHINING. Oh, San Francisco is so cold in temperature, and all this other BULLSHIT.
I had grown up somewhere if you wore a rainbow shirt someone would have killed you, full stop.
We didn't have beer gardens like tied house. You couldn't even walk anywhere, there were no sidewalks, and the township police would have rolled up on you if you tried. (Meanwhile, one of the richest townships in the country to this day has no bus system as a leftover anarchornism from the era of bussing during MLK's time.)
But people talked like El Camino Real and similar stretches of road out in urban Appalachia were interchangable.
The last summer I was out there, Elliot Rodger went on a rampage after the university counseling center sent me off to Mozilla with two refills on a bottle of aloprazolam and zero leads on therapy for the summer.
(You had to go through the counseling center for it to be covered by the student health plan, and if you met someone who seemed to actually be skilled or empathetic, they'd break it to you they can't "poach clients" even if you wanted to do otherwise, or had misunderstood your benefits, or any other edge case)
I ended going back to my college town and venting to my therapist something to the effect that if folks continue down this path of making the world a giant Ikea without the social programs, folks may perceive it's an easier path to a 1BR and a Playstation if they murder an island of children than if they learn to code or whatever.
And then I went down to the gun range, and rented a glock 40 and about fifty rounds.
(The guy who came with me got a bolt action 223 and quietly sent all his downrange about 200 hundred yards)
(Less kick than a 1911, but still a hell of a recoil. You gotta be within about ten feet if you want to actually make use of one without practice)
I hope folks understand how utterly degrading it is to have it rammed down your throat since childhood to "respect women", then have a string of them who have more assets that your entire family make a show of letting you buy them lunch off OkCupid when the only reason you signed up is because you felt so strongly that folks should focus on work at work, having known what it's like to abandon an entire field of study because someone got too handsy. (It's not "nice", you South Park loving sociopoaths)
Anyways, the time the summer of snowden rolled around, I was DONE WITH IT.
I went back to flyover country and told my therapist that I'd read Elliot Rodgers manifesto, and I thought he was a whiny little freak. I told her that despite that I was sincerely worried that folks might melt down like he did, decide to not JUST commit suicide. I tried to show her an essay I got anonymously published about my special education experiences -- she refused to even read it. They had this weird kind of "If you don't like grad school, you can drop out and work at Subway" mentality.
(I wrote this a while back, but left the tab open because I got distracted -- Happy Memorial Day weekend, peace out girl scouts.)

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
real melange of a few posts there

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

kitten emergency posted:

real melange of a few posts there

that's the hackers for you

animist
Aug 28, 2018

lot going on there

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
bjt2n3904 3 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Make Your Own Chips for Free
> The repo must include project documentation and adhere to Google's inclusive language guidelines. See details here.
"Inclusive". Ah.
When I'm writing technical documentation, it has one goal: to describe the project to anyone who wants to use it. "Inclusivity" is not a part of my goalset.

userbinator 1 hour ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Make Your Own Chips for Free
You should be scared and deeply angered that Google is attempting to force changes to language which are mainly based on some radical political ideology.

userbinator 1 hour ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Make Your Own Chips for Free
The main problem is that it's explicitly pushing a certain political agenda.

What are these technical writing guidleines that push a certain political agenda you ask? That include such political hot topics such as
  • Avoid ableist language
  • Avoid unnecessarily gendered language
  • Avoid unnecessarily violent language

It says a lot about a person when they descibe having a basic level of human decency as "radical political ideology".

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
this topic definitely brings out the worst kind of people but also I do feel really weird about phrases like "allowlist" and "person-hours", like they're being introduced to solve a problem that no one ever had in the first place

it reeks of a white coprorate executive going "ah, how can we make our black employees feel more comfortable" without consulting them at all on it. I'm happy to be proven wrong on this though

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

allowlist/denylist are better terms because they are self descriptive

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
let's bring back aviatrix and professoress and madam chairwoman

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Xik posted:

What are these technical writing guidleines that push a certain political agenda you ask? That include such political hot topics such as

lol wut at https://developers.google.com/style/word-list#foo in the word list though, names/values commonly understood to be placeholders are a good thing. elaborate on your advice properly like MS does you bums: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/style-guide/a-z-word-list-term-collections/f/foo-foobar-fubar

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

fritz posted:

:catstare:

dontbenebby 1 hour ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: S.F. population fell 6.3%, most in nation, to lowe...

Makes sense.
First summer I rented in the area (around that time), I had to use AirBnB to find something halfway affordable, and I was basically using it more as a trust broker.
The unit I paid 1500 a month for, literally a bedroom in a dog dander riddled home with a tiny shared kitchen.
I looked, and within 3 years the same place would have been more like 4500/month.
(This was walkable to Castro street, but so is a lot in that weather.)
Meanwhile, I heard all these tech bros WHINING, literally WHINING. Oh, San Francisco is so cold in temperature, and all this other BULLSHIT.
I had grown up somewhere if you wore a rainbow shirt someone would have killed you, full stop.
We didn't have beer gardens like tied house. You couldn't even walk anywhere, there were no sidewalks, and the township police would have rolled up on you if you tried. (Meanwhile, one of the richest townships in the country to this day has no bus system as a leftover anarchornism from the era of bussing during MLK's time.)
But people talked like El Camino Real and similar stretches of road out in urban Appalachia were interchangable.
The last summer I was out there, Elliot Rodger went on a rampage after the university counseling center sent me off to Mozilla with two refills on a bottle of aloprazolam and zero leads on therapy for the summer.
(You had to go through the counseling center for it to be covered by the student health plan, and if you met someone who seemed to actually be skilled or empathetic, they'd break it to you they can't "poach clients" even if you wanted to do otherwise, or had misunderstood your benefits, or any other edge case)
I ended going back to my college town and venting to my therapist something to the effect that if folks continue down this path of making the world a giant Ikea without the social programs, folks may perceive it's an easier path to a 1BR and a Playstation if they murder an island of children than if they learn to code or whatever.
And then I went down to the gun range, and rented a glock 40 and about fifty rounds.
(The guy who came with me got a bolt action 223 and quietly sent all his downrange about 200 hundred yards)
(Less kick than a 1911, but still a hell of a recoil. You gotta be within about ten feet if you want to actually make use of one without practice)
I hope folks understand how utterly degrading it is to have it rammed down your throat since childhood to "respect women", then have a string of them who have more assets that your entire family make a show of letting you buy them lunch off OkCupid when the only reason you signed up is because you felt so strongly that folks should focus on work at work, having known what it's like to abandon an entire field of study because someone got too handsy. (It's not "nice", you South Park loving sociopoaths)
Anyways, the time the summer of snowden rolled around, I was DONE WITH IT.
I went back to flyover country and told my therapist that I'd read Elliot Rodgers manifesto, and I thought he was a whiny little freak. I told her that despite that I was sincerely worried that folks might melt down like he did, decide to not JUST commit suicide. I tried to show her an essay I got anonymously published about my special education experiences -- she refused to even read it. They had this weird kind of "If you don't like grad school, you can drop out and work at Subway" mentality.
(I wrote this a while back, but left the tab open because I got distracted -- Happy Memorial Day weekend, peace out girl scouts.)

I innocently tried to get my therapist to read my insane screed in which I talked about how other people (who are not me) might think this Elliot rogers guy had a lot of good ideas because of the WHORES on okcupid and she refused to read it :(

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

The funny thing is like, if I catalogue his views in that post they seem to be:

- Rich people in San Francisco is bad and gentrifying the place
- Shootings wouldn't happen if there were more and better social programs for disadvantaged adults
- Sexual assault is bad

which puts him on the more center left of hacker news posters and gives him three views that are noticably more correct than the random spoutings of Dang, et al

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

alexandriao posted:

The funny thing is like, if I catalogue his views in that post they seem to be:

- Rich people in San Francisco is bad and gentrifying the place
- Shootings wouldn't happen if there were more and better social programs for disadvantaged adults
- Sexual assault is bad

which puts him on the more center left of hacker news posters and gives him three views that are noticably more correct than the random spoutings of Dang, et al

the only problem here is the deafening dogwhistling that takes place between the lines

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
The South Park "nice" line refers to an episode where boys are statutorily raped by their female teacher, and the cops/public think it's cool. This guy is claiming he was molested and using that as an excuse for everything else

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

4lokos basilisk posted:

the only problem here is the deafening dogwhistling that takes place between the lines

Yup, I was just noting the absurdity

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i'm still all the way back at the guy saying his two objectively stupidest students both founded cryptocurrencies

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

javajosh 1 day ago | root | parent | next [–]

Anthropomorphising companies is a trap. I mean, it's a trap that SCOTUS fell into, but still. Companies are more like organisms in nature, responding to incentives in a mindless way. Just as it seems foolish to hate a tapeworm for its 'exploitative' life-cycle, it seems foolish to hate this kind of business model, or any other. Are herbavores really the only good animals, and farmers the only good workers? I find that hard to accept. It's almost impossible to judge good or evil, especially in the long run. Consider that mitochondria probably started out as an infection, or a parasite. Your gut flora, too. Not to mention all the weird ways ecosystems interlock, until its no longer clear who's exploiting whom. (That said, I think it's reasonable to want to live in Mayberry, but its highly unfair when the only people who get to live there are the ones who make the rest of the world Hamsterdam.)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

the hackers are discussing john rawls

cato_the_elder 1 minute ago | next [–]

Rawls is the guy who is probably most responsible for corruption of the word "justice", which used to mostly mean "the proper administration of law".
The Orwellian trick Rawls pulled was to effectively reduce it to "social justice", which is how to word is most commonly used today.

legalcorrection 1 minute ago | prev | next [–]

I think the main problem with Rawls’s position is that it has no room for desert (as in, the idea that people can deserve their fates). His thought experiment wants me to consider the risk that I be born a very bad man. But why should I want to design my society for the benefit of the dishonest, the slothful, and the wicked?

wyager 20 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

One of the most harmful and anti-utilitarian legal theories to ever become popular. It's baby's first attempt at first-order anthropic utilitarianism, with disastrous entailments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
ligma rawls