Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

Long paternity leave drives everyone crazy.

yeah for sure dude. the man’s role in parenting is to touch javascript 12 hours a day and never see his kid. violating this sacred assignment drives everyone crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when people say that, they're generally responsive to the "it's important that hiring women isn't more risky than hiring men, so they both need the same leave. otherwise companies will always prefer to hire men that can't peace out for family leave and it'll suck for women and they'll get paid less and <gestures at the world>"

i mean they have to not be totally terrible humans, so this is likely not relevant to the conversation. but it's a really powerful argument imo that people sometimes miss

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

when people say that, they're generally responsive to the "it's important that hiring women isn't more risky than hiring men, so they both need the same leave. otherwise companies will always prefer to hire men that can't peace out for family leave and it'll suck for women and they'll get paid less and <gestures at the world>"

i mean they have to not be totally terrible humans, so this is likely not relevant to the conversation. but it's a really powerful argument imo that people sometimes miss
The typical hn poster literally believes that women getting paid less is 100% acceptable as long as it can be somehow be dubiously attributed to women taking maternity leave. Just look at any discussion of the gender pay gap on hn.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

while you are absolutely right, jones, i just find it super funny how even when the philosopher-kings of hackernews are just pontificating about policy they still inadvertently drop references to how everyone in the real world finds them insufferable

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

mystes posted:

The typical hn poster literally believes that women getting paid less is 100% acceptable as long as it can be somehow be dubiously attributed to women taking maternity leave. Just look at any discussion of the gender pay gap on hn.

or just any reason that isn't the person paying them explicitly stating "i hate women and pay them less because i think they are lesser"

mystes
May 31, 2006

I mean obviously hn posters hate women and will like any posts attempting to make up reasons about why it's okay to pay them less, but aside from that... it's just impossible to have any discussion about maternity leave with people who simply refuse to accept the basic premise that since a large percentage of women will have children at some point, it's important for society to prevent that from having negative consequences on their careers

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

Just look at any discussion of the gender pay gap on hn.

ABSOLUELY NOT

Truman Peyote posted:

while you are absolutely right, jones, i just find it super funny how even when the philosopher-kings of hackernews are just pontificating about policy they still inadvertently drop references to how everyone in the real world finds them insufferable

oh for sure, wasn't trying to argue or anything. just goin off on a lil tangent :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it’s a good tangent

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

you really think companies are gonna be like, "oh huh i guess we really have to staff up to handle paternity leave" when they already don't do that for maternity leave? just like they quietly discriminate against women who may have children soon, they'll start treating men who may have children soon the same way. there are more than enough underpaid millennials who've given up on suburban house+kids dreams and won't take leave no matter their gender. so you'll turn gender discrimination into age discrimination. give it a few decades and the norm will be maternity+paternity leave for executives, and shitass fuckall for everyone else

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

you're right, better not try to make things better because the companies are too smart. best to just give up now.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

better make murder legal since people still get away with it etc etc

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Fine, just give everybody three months off every three years. Use that time to raise a baby or don't, up to you.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

no that wont work the companies will just hire people who don't take the leave

or will fire them before 3 years

or or or or

i said give up dangit!!!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

HN gives advice on what to do if your bitcoins get seized by the feds

yieldcrv 1 hour ago | prev [–]

If you find yourself in the similar situation, use RenVM to get your bitcoin over to an EVM (Ethereum Virtual Machine, many networks use EVMs now), then you have many more options.
You can still use Tornado cash. You can still withdraw from Tornado cash to new addresses. You can use those funds in those new addresses to buy and pump the price of the the smallcap tokens you already owned with your salary money. Decentralized exchanges that utilize liquidity pools remove the need for matching orders, liquidity pools are mixers on their own. It doesn't matter who you sell your pumped tokens to, you are just depositing them in the liquidity pool and getting the more liquid token back - USDC, Ether, etc.

A couple 8,000% gains later and you're just another crypto trader that got in early and believed.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Doom Mathematic posted:

Fine, just give everybody three months off every three years. Use that time to raise a baby or don't, up to you.

i do think this one would work

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i do think this one would work

it makes sense based on interest convergence theory, but unfortunately that comes from critical racism theory, so it's unacceptable for reasons that have nothing to do with the discussion that precedes this sentence

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you really think companies are gonna be like, "oh huh i guess we really have to staff up to handle paternity leave" when they already don't do that for maternity leave? just like they quietly discriminate against women who may have children soon, they'll start treating men who may have children soon the same way. there are more than enough underpaid millennials who've given up on suburban house+kids dreams and won't take leave no matter their gender. so you'll turn gender discrimination into age discrimination. give it a few decades and the norm will be maternity+paternity leave for executives, and shitass fuckall for everyone else

thanks for the better-things-are-impossible-actually update, fits in real well in the hn thread

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

reminds me of the classic "it's literally impossible to tax companies because theywilljustpassonthecoststotheconsumers [so we should skip the middlemen and directly tax the poors instead]"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that magical hn world where companies voluntarily price against a fixed margin relative to costs rather than for whatever they can get

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's not just hn that thinks that most pricing is cost-plus. pretty much everyone who hasn't studied how pricing actually works tends to default to assuming that.

the part where a supposed entrepreneur site is full of people who don't understand how pricing should work is pretty funny though.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
charging for products is passe anyway

free services with a nebulous "eventually there will be ads or premium or something" monetization strategy is where it's at

if you're starting with a revenue model in mind you're admitting from the outset that you won't be able to produce 1 million percent growth every quarter, so you're worthless

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

part of the reason that i thought the bubble pop would have happened already is the seemingly vast disconnect between the valuation of the internet ad businesses and the sum of the valuations of the companies advertising actual things you can actually buy on those platforms.

turning off adblock i get ads about like biscuits on youtube. all biscuit makers in the world put together are a blip next to google.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

charging for products is passe anyway

free services with a nebulous "eventually there will be ads or premium or something" monetization strategy is where it's at

if you're starting with a revenue model in mind you're admitting from the outset that you won't be able to produce 1 million percent growth every quarter, so you're worthless
(obligatory Silicon Value scene about being pre-revenue)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

sv has a lot of scenes that are basically word for word quotes for actual meetings i had while we were a pre-revenue startup. we specifically did not want to have revenue for a while because then our next funding round would be based on that revenue rather than on cherry-picked numbers which make a hockey stick when graphed.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

when kickstarter was at its height, kickstarted games had a similar problem

you'd think that providing a demo version of your unfinished game would demonstrate that you're serious about the project and have the skills to execute your vision

in practice, providing a demo was generally the worst thing you could possibly do to your campaign; it was a much better idea to keep things vague and open-ended and allow all prospective backers to project their imaginary version of what a game could be like on a blank canvas

an imperfect real thing will never compete with an idealized hypothetical future thing

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

you'd think that providing a demo version of your unfinished game would demonstrate that you're serious about the project and have the skills to execute your vision

in practice, providing a demo was generally the worst thing you could possibly do to your campaign; it was a much better idea to keep things vague and open-ended and allow all prospective backers to project their imaginary version of what a game could be like on a blank canvas

an imperfect real thing will never compete with an idealized hypothetical future thing

And also now with early access Steam games. It's a big risk. There are some EA games I've bought and even though they are unfinished they have good communication and regular improvement. And some of them could have been released properly at their current state, but they still keep working on them as early access.

Then there are some that were unfinished when I bought them as EA and when they decided to release the actual 1.0 final version, they only felt 75% done and I never touched the game again.

These are always risky. I avoid Kickstarter because it's blind. At least with EA games you have a chance to refund if they are totally crap.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

lobsterminator posted:

And also now with early access Steam games. It's a big risk. There are some EA games I've bought and even though they are unfinished they have good communication and regular improvement. And some of them could have been released properly at their current state, but they still keep working on them as early access.

Then there are some that were unfinished when I bought them as EA and when they decided to release the actual 1.0 final version, they only felt 75% done and I never touched the game again.

These are always risky. I avoid Kickstarter because it's blind. At least with EA games you have a chance to refund if they are totally crap.

i'm glad i never bothered kickstarting anything because there have been at least a dozen or so projects i was interested in that either never got finished or were complete poo poo when they did

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i kickstarted some dice once and then the dice arrived and they were neat

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i kickstarted some dice once and then the dice arrived and they were neat
You're lucky. I've heard sometimes with these kickstarter things it's no dice, which would be the opposite of what you wanted

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i kickstarted the ouya because it seemed like it would be a fun android platform to program on with a standardized gamepad

got mine, tinkered with it for a while, ported a game to it on a dare and won 20 bucks for a charity

a few years later i gave it away to some undergrads interested in gamedev when i had to move

totally satisfied overall, and i may be the only person in the world who felt that way, lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i kickstarted a publishing run for a webcomic i was reading and it was basically just like ordering some books online if ordering books online came with monthly status updates for a bunch of bonus reward poo poo i mostly didn’t care about for like the next five loving years

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i kickstarted so so many things back in the day. board games, video games, miniatures, rpgs, movies, art projects. iirc the only one that really burned me was an activist art collective thing, even though there were definitely _some_ people who got screwed on a couple poorly-managed miniature projects - i just got lucky that they sent my package before running out of money.

now i just throw money at ken crawford once or twice a year and that's pretty much it. and i guess i buy retro watches from there too.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i kickstarted the ouya because it seemed like it would be a fun android platform to program on with a standardized gamepad

got mine, tinkered with it for a while, ported a game to it on a dare and won 20 bucks for a charity

a few years later i gave it away to some undergrads interested in gamedev when i had to move

totally satisfied overall, and i may be the only person in the world who felt that way, lol

I didn't kickstart it but I bought an ouya, plugged some Xbox controllers into it, and played the poo poo out of Towerfall, the greatest couch multiplayer game ever made, while it was still an exclusive. Was a great system for me (even though it objectively sucked overall)

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Internet Janitor posted:

Noodle Incident marketing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lobsterminator posted:

i thought this was the most hosed up post i ever read until i realised you didn’t mean electronic arts

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Plorkyeran posted:

it's not just hn that thinks that most pricing is cost-plus. pretty much everyone who hasn't studied how pricing actually works tends to default to assuming that.

the part where a supposed entrepreneur site is full of people who don't understand how pricing should work is pretty funny though.

no see the invisible hand of the market naturally drives all pricing to be cost-plus with an absolute minimum of plus which is why capitalism is the most efficient and best system for resource allocation

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

jesus WEP posted:

i thought this was the most hosed up post i ever read until i realised you didn’t mean electronic arts

this is fuckin killing me right here

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

lol

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

rjmccall posted:

i kickstarted a publishing run for a webcomic i was reading and it was basically just like ordering some books online if ordering books online came with monthly status updates for a bunch of bonus reward poo poo i mostly didn’t care about for like the next five loving years

I too kickstarted Order of the Stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

graycat 6 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

Your remarks about my post have to do with females, that is gender. Today that is a touchy, sensitive, politicized subject.
You seem to be saying that, in dealing with people, should get more information.
In a sense, you are correct: That sense is from applications of the Radon-Nikodym theorem. The charming proof by J. von Neumann is in the W. Rudin Real and Complex Analysis.
In practice, not really: What I mentioned and you object to can be called generalities. Sooooo, in the politically correct world, those are called, say, stereotypes and are offensive.
So, it appears that you see the generalities as drawing some detailed conclusions about someone based just on the generalities. Instead, you want to hold off on the details until there is good evidence one detail and person at a time.
That won't, can't, work very well.
E.g, you are coaching a girl's basketball team. Some of the girls are not doing well. You don't know why, and they are not clearly, explicitly, frankly, honestly telling you why -- such reluctance is common. Soooo, you have to guess. You start with, they are girls, girls tend to be emotional, in particular, afraid. So, try that diagnosis.
Uh, in US society, women get be afraid. Men don't.
You are coaching a boy's basketball team. One of the boys is not doing well. If you even hint that you suspect he is overly emotional, afraid, you would be calling him a "sissy". All the other boys on the team would howl with contempt, point fingers, bend over with laughter. So you don't do that. You assume he has left his emotions of fear in the locker room and is willing to guard Michael Jordan or foul LeBron James, even if Jordan fakes him into the nickel seats or LeBron knocks him there. Afraid? A boy on a round ball team? NO WAY.
In WWII and the battle of Midway, the US sent fighter planes, torpedo planes, and dive bomber planes to attack the Japanese carriers. Of course, the Japanese had fighter planes in the air to protect the carriers. Well, the US planes were poor on coordination, and the torpedo planes attacked with the rest of the US planes still on the way. Well, it would look like the torpedo planes had no chance. And in fact, they didn't have a chance; not even one torpedo hit, and all the torpedo planes were shot down. The US torpedo plane pilots knew they were likely to be shot down, but they flew in anyway. Fear? No room for fear.
Sure, some women can also overcome fear, but they are usually not expected to and still usually don't.
Did I mention, boys and girls are different.
It appears that you want to set aside generalities and assume that the girls are not afraid until it is clear they are or that the boys are afraid until it is clear they are not.
But this clear information you want, and I agree would be good to have, mostly won't be available.
You want to ignore the generalities. But the generalities are from decades of careful observation and have too much good information to discard, especially when the detailed information you want is not available.
What I posted is what was requested, what I wish I'd had in my experience.
I'm not trying to get into current politically correct gender equality arguments. Instead, I was describing what I wish I had known.
What I listed that I wished I'd known was important. A lot of the wishing that you responded to was about love, and that is a challenging subject.
E.g., not knowing what I listed I wished I'd known cost me the relationship with the prettiest human female I ever saw, in person or otherwise. And she was terrific in nearly all respects otherwise. Later I discovered by improbable accident that she really loved me. For me, I still have her high school graduation picture in the UR corner of my computer screen -- I'm still in love with her. That was a failure. I believe that had I known what I wish I had known, I could have saved the relationship, likely had a really good marriage, etc. We would have done well with children: I like children, and she was way over the top in adoring children, especially the faces of children, say, under the age of 5.
E.g., my marriage (to another female) was a failure. Had I known what I listed I wish I'd known, I could have either avoided the marriage or saved it. She was quite sick. Visiting her mother on her family farm, she was missing and her body was found floating in a lake, an apparent suicide. Did I mention failure?
So, both of those females were afraid. Did I mention that I wish I'd understood that females tend to be afraid?
For this subject of fear, I will remind you of a 101 level of a little of it: In now some old and relatively solid clinical psychology, fear is called anxiety and tends to bring paranoia, hysteria, and obsessive-compulsive (OCD), psychopathic-passive behavior. Soooo, if see a lot of symptoms of anxiety (fear, as my quite perceptive Mom, after only 15 minutes, put it, "afraid of her own shadow"), look also for the rest. Your approach fails here -- you are asking everyone to rediscover 100 years of clinical psychology one detail and one person at a time. Then, the anxiety tends to bring stress, and the stress tends to bring depression. The depression lowers productivity and can, thus, can bring more stress. The extra stress can lead to clinical depression which is dangerous -- can cause suicide. And that is EXACTLY what happened. It is just CRUCIAL for someone to understand this 101 level of clinical psychology.
Just what she was afraid of, a detail you would insist on, she would never say, in decades, never say or hint, and would prefer to go to her death than say. Did I mention that some of the details you want won't be available?
And why this 101 clinical psychology mostly for women? Did I mention, women are much more emotional than men? And more afraid?
You want to discard the generalities. Soooo, you discard the information the generalities imply and want to get that information one detail and one person at a time. E.g., you see an anxiety case but want to discard that, from enormous evidence, the generalities say that the anxiety can lead to OCD, stress, depression, clinical depression, and death. Okay, now that they are dead, you have your detailed information. Of course, you have the information too late.