Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

causi 5 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

At least in the naming, sure. Everything else, not so much. I had to switch my whole house over to Echos because you can't change the wake word on Google Home. Every time I said, say, "Hey Google, turn the bedroom lamp off", the Home in the bedroom would say ok and turn the lamp off, both phones in the room would activate and complain that they didn't have a device named lamp listed, and every other Home in the house would start talking about how it couldn't hear me clearly. Then you yell "Hey Google, shut the gently caress up!" and the blasted things start whining about how they "have feelings too" and I shouldn't be so rude. Few technological problems have made my fingers ache more for a sledgehammer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

lmao

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
maybe some day we'll discover an easy and reliable way to turn off lights

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Zlodo posted:

You mean a clapper?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Zlodo posted:

gig workers?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

fritz posted:

re: musk summoning remaining employees to hq on short notice

jmeister 1 minute ago | root | parent | next [–]

No your comment shows how coddled techies are. Lawyers, bankers, consultants keep themselves available for such calls over any major client/deal, leave alone a singular event in company history.

Me, writing code for fart.app: Millions of dollars ride on my ability to code new farts at 2 AM on Thanksgiving.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

celim307 10 days ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: TV Tropes

Exactly. Maybe it’s because I don’t have enough brainpower but I’m perfectly happy for society to determine parts of my I don’t put much value in. Clothing styles, haircuts, what music is on Spotify.
I recognize the value in being novel in those areas and I respect people who are passionate and put in the time, but I prefer to focus on the things that matter to me
I’m self aware enough there are millions similar to me in a lot of ways, I’m a product of my genome and society mostly, and marketing demographics work. But I take from that more of a stance of brotherhood. We are all on the same journey and we should find kinship and empathy in that.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Aunche 19 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

It's easier to make economic theories that fit science fiction rather than real life. The Vimes boots problem has already been solved by financing. Services like Affirm would allow Sam Vimes to pay the $50 boots in three monthly installments of $16.67. If the theory were correct, then buy-now-pay-later programs would help alleviate poverty, but what we see instead is that it worsens it by enabling consumerist purchases.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fritz posted:

Aunche 19 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

It's easier to make economic theories that fit science fiction rather than real life. The Vimes boots problem has already been solved by financing. Services like Affirm would allow Sam Vimes to pay the $50 boots in three monthly installments of $16.67. If the theory were correct, then buy-now-pay-later programs would help alleviate poverty, but what we see instead is that it worsens it by enabling consumerist purchases.

for my sanity: there's no way that's not a troll

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there, there

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Aunche 14 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Why Is Tipping Everywhere You Checkout?

> Why cant we just give employees dignity and a fair wage?
We do and that's tipped wages. A career waiter in a major American city can make over 100k, which is several times more than what they would make in Europe. Even if you adjust for cost of living and median incomes, it's still going to be much higher. On the low end of the spectrum, tipped wages and untipped wages would be both at minimum wage.

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

ditto... "if instead of spending 10bux a year he'd just spend 17 bucks a month for three months, ipso fatso Columbo carbonara predatory lending should alleviate poverty but doesn't because economic injustice is fake" is beyond what a real person can reason without purposefully trying to be maximum wrong

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

fritz posted:

Aunche 14 days ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Why Is Tipping Everywhere You Checkout?

> Why cant we just give employees dignity and a fair wage?
We do and that's tipped wages. A career waiter in a major American city can make over 100k, which is several times more than what they would make in Europe. Even if you adjust for cost of living and median incomes, it's still going to be much higher. On the low end of the spectrum, tipped wages and untipped wages would be both at minimum wage.

by the same logic, a career scratch lotto addict can make over 100k too

dollars to donuts this person does not have a large chunk of their earnings dependent on the grace and whims of random strangers, but it is ok if other people's earnings do

it's easy to make informed and rational choices about spending if you are short of money. there are also no predatory business practices minmaxed to gently caress over people who can't afford stuff

also i am pretty sure that a "career waiter" job does not come with guaranteed health insurance in the states?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

4lokos basilisk posted:

a large chunk of their earnings dependent on the grace and whims of random strangers

Not to take away from your point but this is just having a boss

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Armitag3 posted:

Not to take away from your point but this is just having a boss

your boss shows up daily to dock your pay or give a bonus?

my point is like if you have an employment contract, it specifies your salary and while of course it can have a performance dependent aspect to it, for the most part you can kind of assume that your take home will be constantly a number or above for one quarter to one year. also usually it's tied to objective metrics set in your organization, not beholden to literal randos walking in from the street

i mean having a dependably constant income for one week or one year is a big difference

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

fritz posted:

celim307 10 days ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: TV Tropes

Exactly. Maybe it’s because I don’t have enough brainpower but I’m perfectly happy for society to determine parts of my I don’t put much value in. Clothing styles, haircuts, what music is on Spotify.
I recognize the value in being novel in those areas and I respect people who are passionate and put in the time, but I prefer to focus on the things that matter to me
I’m self aware enough there are millions similar to me in a lot of ways, I’m a product of my genome and society mostly, and marketing demographics work. But I take from that more of a stance of brotherhood. We are all on the same journey and we should find kinship and empathy in that.
maybe I’m misreading it, but this seems like an oddly wholesome hn post. just a regular nerdy person who doesn’t care about some things but actually understands that other people do, and appreciates it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

"I just go with the flow of society on many things and that's fine" is a pretty radical take for an HN, imo.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also "I'm a product of my upbringing and, frankly, a bunch of poo poo marketed directly at me" is about a thousand times better as an approach to explaining your tastes than the usual "beep boop my tastes are the result of a perfectly rational decision matrix and are objectively correct, people with different tastes or interests are just stupid" HN attitude

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hedora 8 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

This just keeps getting worse and worse, with no end in sight. I recently looked at the school lunch ingredient lists here in California. The hamburger buns contain both corn syrup and sucralose (splenda). I really wonder what the rationale is.
I guess they need to put the splenda in so that they screw up all the kids' metabolism + gut microbes, but they also need to make sure the food isn't accidentally diabetic safe?
Maybe I shouldn't be surprised. This is the same bureaucracy that defunded science and art education, and attempted to defund calculus (so that only rich districts with educational foundations would have those things). I kind of suspect it's some sort of intentional long-game eugenics program. I wonder if there is some way for rich Californian parents to band together to pay extra for non-malicious school lunches (as with science and art education).
(Or, better, force the state government to stop sucking so much!)

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
are we now posting stuff from HN that we agree with?

assuming any of that’s true of course

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
re: musk code reviews

subradios 5 days ago | prev | next [–]

This is the strategy of someone who is aware of an internal cultural problem at Twitter.

You can blame pointy haired PMs, activist community managers, leetcode and Foosball engineers, or whoever you want for the situation.

To Musk its all the same, over 50% of the workforce was actively hostile to Musk for being Musk, and at least 25% was actively engaged in sacrificing the business to pursue personal or political agendas.

This would be fine if Twitter were a cash cow posting record profits, but it wasn't.

The strategy Musk is performing is to create as much chaos as possible to shake out as many of those groups as possible, and hire back anyone caught in the crossfire.

I've never seen a CEO attempt this at this scale, but at my last company there was an employee like above in a top position - and in order to get rid of the people under his influence the only solution was to can the whole division.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

PaulHoule 7 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I've long held that floating point with a decimal exponent would help a lot more people feel like computing is something they can be a part of. That is, I think the non-professional programmer finds that
0.1 + 0.2 != 0.3
is one of many little problems that adds up to them giving up the possibility of using software to put their skills on wheels. Like many reforms in computing, performance is used as an excuse to maintain the status quo of the priesthood. IBM is the only company in the industry that's taken this seriously, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_floating_point

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

namlosh posted:

are we now posting stuff from HN that we agree with?

assuming any of that’s true of course

> I guess they need to put the splenda in so that they screw up all the kids' metabolism + gut microbes, but they also need to make sure the food isn't accidentally diabetic safe?

?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

IBM shut up about decimal types challenge (impossible)

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

I was just reading the kubernetes docs for their decimal type, which is called “quantity”. of course it is totally unique and incompatible with anyone else’s weird decimal type, in order to deal with the inherent and kubernetes-specific complexities of having there be numbers inside the computer.

like the op I came to the conclusion that they added it to be more friendly to novices

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Computer arithmetic's pretty weird but that is absolutely not the biggest problem for the typical non-programmer.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

SolTerrasa posted:

I was just reading the kubernetes docs for their decimal type, which is called “quantity”. of course it is totally unique and incompatible with anyone else’s weird decimal type, in order to deal with the inherent and kubernetes-specific complexities of having there be numbers inside the computer.

like the op I came to the conclusion that they added it to be more friendly to novices

i thought the main reason for things like this inside kubernetes were because the values have to safely round-trip between some code and a YAML representation

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)

fritz posted:

I wonder if there is some way for rich Californian parents to band together to pay extra for non-malicious school lunches (as with science and art education).
(Or, better, force the state government to stop sucking so much!)
Doesn’t California have universal school lunch?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dougdrums posted:

Doesn’t California have universal school lunch?

starting this year, yeah

https://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/nu/sn/cauniversalmeals.asp

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

VSOKUL girl posted:

i thought the main reason for things like this inside kubernetes were because the values have to safely round-trip between some code and a YAML representation

this is a reason. it is what the docs say. however, the true reason aiui is that people inside google spent millions of engineer hours fighting about whether “4k” in a config file should mean “4000” or “4096”. I was there for some of those fights. they were as annoying as you think.

as a compromise, they created a number format that had “4k” (4000) and “4ki” (4096). it also did smaller numbers, like “3m” (0.003), etc. and drat near every engineer at google used that format to specify things like memory and cpu requirements for jobs on borg.

then when it came time to make kubernetes, which in v1 is just “borg for idiots”, they implemented that same format for the rest of us, because they had already “solved” that problem.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

it’s basically fine, I’m just currently mad at it because I wanted a number in my crd, and I had to spend time reading a docs page and use a special json parser to achieve that

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
creating an alloc with 64 millibytes of memory, as one does

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
scroogled again

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

It's me, I'm the SI prefix purist.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i like how the french say gigaoctets (go) and the like. none of this kibibyte stuff

maybe i am short sighted

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

defen 1 hour ago | prev | next [–]

> Then said Jesus unto him, "Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword".
I'm a big fan of Eric Lippert's work, but this blog post comes across as whiny and evinces a completely unwarranted sense of entitlement. This is a person who voluntarily chose to get paid (I can only assume) a very large amount of money to work on something that he found to be exciting and fulfilling. The only catch: it all belonged to Mark Zuckerberg.
Why does Mark Zuckerberg owe him an explanation for why his services are no longer needed? Why does he think that the decision process should be visible and rational (cost vs benefit) to him? It suggests that he has a fundamental misunderstanding of the world. Instead of being "vexed" that he was fired instead of the people building toys for Mark Zuckerberg, perhaps he should be thankful for the two years he spent working on the PPL team.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hammock 44 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

35 million or so Latin Americans have relocated themselves to the US, even piled into dark crowded trucks and given up their life savings to dangerous coyotes, to do so. I would imagine the the specter of Communist China knocking on your door and breathing down your neck would be a motivator for many Taiwanese. And there would be a great opportunity for the US to welcome them with open arms as allies

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
ok that one is actually loving me up :psyduck:

like that’s s tier levels of ignorance

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Ask HN: Do you feel bad when devices aren't utilized to the extreme?
47 points by behnamoh 1 hour ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 74 comments

e.g., I feel bad when people buy M1 (or M2) MacBook Pros just to check emails, browse the internet, and do presentations (very common among managers).

Or when an old iPhone or Android is sitting in a cabinet getting dust, while it can be used as a webcam, small home server, automation device, clock (I use an old iPad), etc.

I think so much compute power is being wasted and I'm not sure how to feel about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

they could be mining crypto with all that compute!