Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
aged out of crime but not the draft yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018
i utterly despise the :biotruths: nerds. spending all their free time writing 5000 word screeds reinventing eugenics with more epic Firefly references. just disgusting human beings

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
recidivism really is a lot higher in young men

however i've never seen that used as an argument to lengthen prison sentences

normally it is posed as an argument to release prisoners who are already middle-aged

only hn (or stormfront) could find a way to turn that one on its head

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

only hn (or stormfront) could find a way to turn that one on its head

isn't the one a more closeted version of the other

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

alexandriao posted:

isn't the one a more closeted version of the other

no

hn is dumb as hell but it isn't full of nazis by and large

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
right, they’re just crypto-fascists

completely different

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Jose Valasquez posted:

no

got some bad news for you

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Jose Valasquez posted:

no

this post deserves its own thread treating it like this thread does hacker news

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Neon Noodle posted:

got some bad news for you

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Most HN posters aren't avowed white supremacists but the difference is largely academic because they'll cheerfully reinvent Auschwitz after applying their engineer's disease to problems like littering or traffic congestion for ten minutes

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
IBM invented the first one, the next one will run on Docker

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nah most of them aren't white supremacists, they're just cool and normal people who go from zero to 1488 in a heartbeat as soon as they as a group are even moderately inconvenienced. big difference.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

cool and normal people who go from zero to 1488 in a heartbeat as soon as they as a group are even moderately inconvenienced

so they're typical coastal neoliberals

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

nah most of them aren't white supremacists, they're just cool and normal people who go from zero to 1488 in a heartbeat as soon as they as a group are even moderately inconvenienced. big difference.

so, the backbone of white supremacy in america

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Most HN posters aren't avowed white supremacists but the difference is largely academic because they'll cheerfully reinvent Auschwitz after applying their engineer's disease to problems like littering or traffic congestion for ten minutes

couple months ago they banned someone for saying a guy who used obscure alt right phrases from a few years ago must have spent substantial time among them and dang banned him immediately for uncivilized slander, but if you googled the guy's name and a couple terms turns out yeah he was big in the alt right blogosphere in the early 10s and might still be

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

oh, I guess they *are* largely avowed white supremacists. oops.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
hn thread: oh, I guess they *are* largely avowed white supremacists. oops.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Zamujasa posted:

hn thread: oh, I guess they *are* largely avowed white supremacists. oops.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Clark Nova posted:

sounds like people who work in tech are white supremacists

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Vomik posted:

sounds like people who work in tech are white supremacists

usually it's just the white people who work in tech

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
https://taibbi.substack.com/p/the-news-media-is-destroying-itself

this made it to the front page of hn, but obviously it was not published by rolling stone

matt taibbi is really angry that journalists are sometimes called upon to apologize when they say racist poo poo

hn is very excited about that

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Taibbi went into such a steep and deep decline and he's gotten weirdly Pro-Putin of late (I've heard it rumored they have kompromat on him from his younger days in and around Moscow)?

:shrug:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Taibbi went into such a steep and deep decline and he's gotten weirdly Pro-Putin of late (I've heard it rumored they have kompromat on him from his younger days in and around Moscow)?

:shrug:

people unironically using the word 'kompromat' are not to be taken seriously. you can do this

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

google chrome is going to hide full urls. why? let's head over to hn to find out

cletus 1 hour ago [–]

"SJW" is a pejorative at this point because the key part isn't about the ideas being expressed but the motivations behind advocating those views. It implies that despite outward appearances it's all rather self-serving, a form of getting validation and superficial virtue signaling.

So when you see major rewrites, major redesigns and controversial changes in popular products you'll often find an agenda behind it. Someone making a name for themselves, getting promoted, trying to become a "thought leader" [1] and so on. But this self-serving motivation is always wrapped up in a much purer rationalization.

These people tend to be the weeds in any organization. Left unchecked they'll grow to the point of pushing out everything else. They need to be pulled out roots and all. Some will be doing this knowingly to "get ahead". Others are simply lying to themselves. And these are often the worst.

So whenever you see anything about "protecting users", be skeptical. Look for the SJWs pulling on the strings.

[1]: As an aside, pretty much anyone who posts to LinkedIn should forever be excluded from a leadership position of any kind. That's my handy tip for the day.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

google chrome is going to hide full urls. why? let's head over to hn to find out

cletus 1 hour ago [–]

"SJW" is a pejorative at this point because the key part isn't about the ideas being expressed but the motivations behind advocating those views. It implies that despite outward appearances it's all rather self-serving, a form of getting validation and superficial virtue signaling.

So when you see major rewrites, major redesigns and controversial changes in popular products you'll often find an agenda behind it. Someone making a name for themselves, getting promoted, trying to become a "thought leader" [1] and so on. But this self-serving motivation is always wrapped up in a much purer rationalization.

These people tend to be the weeds in any organization. Left unchecked they'll grow to the point of pushing out everything else. They need to be pulled out roots and all. Some will be doing this knowingly to "get ahead". Others are simply lying to themselves. And these are often the worst.

So whenever you see anything about "protecting users", be skeptical. Look for the SJWs pulling on the strings.

[1]: As an aside, pretty much anyone who posts to LinkedIn should forever be excluded from a leadership position of any kind. That's my handy tip for the day.
Gee, an HN poster who is accusing "SJWs" of being behind the decision to only show domains in the Chrome url bar by default. I wonder where they work?

quote:

I am from Perth, Western Australia but currently live in New York City and work for Facebook (formerly Google).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

we call them sjws because we can't write the f-word anymore

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm sure moderation will be applied equally and consistently so "sjw" will be banned along with karen

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Penisface posted:

people unironically using the word 'kompromat' are not to be taken seriously. you can do this

i love the idea that the kgb has to blackmail people instead of just setting up a shell company and writing a check, like every other interested party in the entire fuckin world

it's not illegal to make people shill for you. nor is it unexpected that foreign governments would pay good money for that service

there are just wild rear end twitter blue checks who see a russian hiding in every closet

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
it’s also funny that the popular conception of «компромат» is just random secret sex stuff because the thing a Victorian brained American is afraid of the most is being embarrassed over sex stuff to the point they would betray all other values

if someone was willing to betray those values over that you could save yourself the trouble and just pay them because they’re just as likely to go for it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i 100% believe the piss tape is real, because government intelligence agencies are often run by very stupid people

i do not even a little bit think donald trump cares that the russians have a tape of him watching hookers piss on each other. this is the dude who lived down bragging about sexual assault, on tape, while talking to a man he didn't even know

if the piss tape comes out verifiably trump will be like gently caress yeah i'm fuckin awesome and i always have been

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
there’s the whole Lindsey Graham thing where it sure looks like he was blackmailed into supporting Trump

not because anyone on the right would care about him being a hypocrite, but because the right won’t vote for an out gay man

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

eschaton posted:

there’s the whole Lindsey Graham thing where it sure looks like he was blackmailed into supporting Trump

not because anyone on the right would care about him being a hypocrite, but because the right won’t vote for an out gay man

Nah. It's because SC is a frothing brain dead mega chud state and will 100% primary any R who doesn't lick daddy trumps boots hard enough.

Graham is almost certainly gay but he's one of those genteel old money plantation gays the confederate daughters society members politely describe as a "confirmed bachelor".

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i love the idea that the kgb has to blackmail people instead of just setting up a shell company and writing a check, like every other interested party in the entire fuckin world

it's not illegal to make people shill for you. nor is it unexpected that foreign governments would pay good money for that service

there are just wild rear end twitter blue checks who see a russian hiding in every closet

I mean it is illegal if you don't have all your "I am a paid foreign agent" paperwork in order with the State Dept. which is how they got Manafort lol.

But yeah, Russian "election interference" is this and stirring up morons on facebook and twitter. Lol if you don't think the CIA and every other state intelligence agency is doing the same thing too.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mrmcd posted:

Nah. It's because SC is a frothing brain dead mega chud state and will 100% primary any R who doesn't lick daddy trumps boots hard enough.

Graham is almost certainly gay but he's one of those genteel old money plantation gays the confederate daughters society members politely describe as a "confirmed bachelor".

There was a thread on twitter a week or two ago where a well known male sex worker said that he was a frequent customer of him and many of his peers.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i 100% believe the piss tape is real, because government intelligence agencies are often run by very stupid people

i do not even a little bit think donald trump cares that the russians have a tape of him watching hookers piss on each other. this is the dude who lived down bragging about sexual assault, on tape, while talking to a man he didn't even know

if the piss tape comes out verifiably trump will be like gently caress yeah i'm fuckin awesome and i always have been

youve seen it right? it's 1000% real. it's been out for over a year and no one outside of cspam cared

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
https://twitter.com/plt_dril/status/1272535976909262850?s=20

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

every god drat man woman and child in south carolina knows lindsey graham is gay

none of them give a poo poo

if trump has something on graham it's a lot worse than some gay sex. more likely it's just trump's hold over graham's mega-chud voters, and no blackmail was required. he'll felate cheeto jesus in public just so his rollin' coal kkk fans will keep turning up at the polls

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

yeah this is a succinct summary of hn as a phenomenon

except hn posters tend to kinda enjoy racism?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
yeah hn posters are unsurprisingly fully into the racism as expressed commonly by their class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

quote:

rattray 19 hours ago [–]

What a bummer that workers are publicly demanding this, and (presumably) seeking press attention on it.

I'm no fan of ICE – a very large percentage of my friends in the US are immigrants, and I generally want my country to be a welcoming one. ICE has certainly committed unethical and probably illegal acts (probably true of most federal agencies).

But to expect that a _federal agency_ will be denied service from a private entity, especially for essentially political reasons, is lunacy. It'd attract extreme negative attention from the rest of the government, and great fear from all paying customers that an internet mob could separate them from their code at any time.

We should absolutely be lobbying hard for changes to immigration law, the restrictions placed on ICE, and justice for their wrongdoings.

But I can't see how this helps improve immigration, and it certainly seems likely to cause a lot of negative consequences for GitHub. The employees are putting their employer in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I love the vision of a world where executives don't take actions their workers will protest. I think that in order to get there, the protests need to be reasonable, and I think this one isn't.

EDIT DISCLAIMER: I own a small amount of MSFT stock, which was not on my mind as I wrote this. I use GitHub's free service and have no other relationship I can think of with MSFT or GitHub.

But what about the negative press attention for the company I own stocks in??? Can't they just protest quietly in-house???